Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Bram Stoker's Dracula

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Bram Stoker's Dracula Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bram Stoker's Dracula - 23/11/2006 8:33:39 PM   
eam91

Having reached the end of this extreamly influencial novel, I thought I would begin a thread about it.
Now well over a century old, Dracula has inspired more films, plays, and other writings than almost any other book. The novel drips with dark gothic atmosphere, and plays host to one of the most enduring and instantly recognisable monsters ever, Count Dracula. The story is famously told through a series of journals, letters and newspaper clippings, which combine to tell the tale of the legendary vampire.
However, the book is not without its flaws. The characters are terribly melodramatic, and often steal from the realism of the novel. The male potagonists often break down in tears over the most mundane of situations, and their combined platonic love of the female characters oozes with almost sickening cornyness.
The regional accents of some of the minor characters are barely readable, and the ending is a severly dissapointing anti-climax after an over-long build-up.
I do reccomend the book, however, even if you only read the first few chapters about Jonathan Harker's stay at Castle Dracula

So, what do you guys think of Stoker's famous book?  

One Ring to rule them all,
One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all
and in the darkness bind them.
Post #: 1
RE: Bram Stoker's Dracula - 24/11/2006 10:57:44 AM   
Woger

Was a bit underwhelmed myself, I thought the start and the end were god but sagged in the middle. Has anyone heard anything else about the film based on the voyage of the Demer?

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to eam91)
Post #: 2
RE: Bram Stoker's Dracula - 25/11/2006 1:13:20 PM   
evil bill

I've read this book a few times now and yes it is a bit of a slog in the middle portion,but this is due to the fact it's written like it's a true story.Based on journals by the various people who where caught in Draculas web,it's more like a News reporter retelling the events that happen all those years ago.This make's it a far more chilling tale than if he'd written like say Mary Shellys Frankensten.It trully is a masterpiece.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to eam91)
Post #: 3
RE: Bram Stoker's Dracula - 25/11/2006 8:17:53 PM   
Sundance

I love it. It does slow down a bit in the middle, but it has a great creepy atmosphere all the way through. Unfortunately none of the films have really done it justice.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 4
RE: Bram Stoker's Dracula - 25/11/2006 9:28:13 PM   
bozo

I think it's called epistolary - when a book is letters and excerpts of journals. Which works very well, I think, because it allows us to see the story from several different points of view. 
Great book anyways. Legendary, really. A must read.
Although it took me a while to purge the image of Keanu out of my head while reading it...   

(in reply to Sundance)
Post #: 5
RE: Bram Stoker's Dracula - 25/11/2006 10:33:24 PM   
furrybastard

It's a very good novel though I've always found Frankenstein to be far more effective and profound (it also tells the story within the confines of a letter from the seaman, similar to Dracula's style of storytelling).

I think the central conceit and character of Dracula makes a far greater impact than the novel itself.

Speaking of monsters, I've had Jekyll and Hyde for over a year now and have eyt to read it!

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 6
RE: Bram Stoker's Dracula - 25/11/2006 11:03:37 PM   
bozo

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

It's a very good novel though I've always found Frankenstein to be far more effective and profound (it also tells the story within the confines of a letter from the seaman, similar to Dracula's style of storytelling).

I think the central conceit and character of Dracula makes a far greater impact than the novel itself.

Speaking of monsters, I've had Jekyll and Hyde for over a year now and have eyt to read it!

It's not bad, you should read it. Definitely Stevenson's best work.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 7
RE: Bram Stoker's Dracula - 27/11/2006 7:42:53 PM   
monkey48

eam91 ive got more posts on my threads and im a newbie

recently seen films

borat: 10/10
kill bill 9/10
date movie 2/10

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 8
RE: Bram Stoker's Dracula - 27/11/2006 8:17:05 PM   
mumblin sumpthin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sundance

I love it. It does slow down a bit in the middle, but it has a great creepy atmosphere all the way through. Unfortunately none of the films have really done it justice.

Couldn't agree more. It's one of my favourite books, yes, it does have it's slow parts but then so do a lot of books. None of the films have ever truly captured the story in the way that the book does.

"Oh fine! Let's just haul out our swords and start banging away at each other! That will solve everything!"

"Please don't interrupt me when I'm asking rhetorical questions."

"Death is...whimsical today"

(in reply to Sundance)
Post #: 9
RE: Bram Stoker's Dracula - 18/12/2006 9:41:16 PM   
batcountry84

quote:

ORIGINAL: bozo

I think it's called epistolary - when a book is letters and excerpts of journals. Which works very well, I think, because it allows us to see the story from several different points of view. 
Great book anyways. Legendary, really. A must read.
Although it took me a while to purge the image of Keanu out of my head while reading it...   

Yeah, him and his dodgy accent kinda make Jonathan Harker laughable. Loved the book though and the style it was written. Made it very interesting to read.

And you know what he said?.... I need about treefiddy.
*Uncle Rotter - Fit Goth Chicks*
My interview with Dyanne Thorne @ Horror Cult Films

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 10
RE: Bram Stoker's Dracula - 18/12/2006 10:29:58 PM   
Manchurian candidate

It pales in comparison to The Modern Promethius (Frankenstien)

"Ford's economics are the worst thing that's happened to this country since pantyhose ruined finger-fucking."
Lyndon B. Johnson
"British Beatitudes! Beer, beef, business, bibles, bulldogs, battleships, buggery and bishops"
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
"Rose McGowan is a fucking clown"
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

(in reply to batcountry84)
Post #: 11
RE: Bram Stoker's Dracula - 19/12/2006 1:54:22 AM   
chilipenguin

It's all about the influx of European immigrants heading for London in the 19th Century, and the problems they might pose. Dracula represents the immigrant sucking the life blood from the country and trying to destroy those natives who get in his way (Harker).

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

New short story/portfolio blog online HERE

(in reply to Manchurian candidate)
Post #: 12
RE: Bram Stoker's Dracula - 19/12/2006 9:22:28 AM   
Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: chilipenguin

It's all about the influx of European immigrants heading for London in the 19th Century, and the problems they might pose. Dracula represents the immigrant sucking the life blood from the country and trying to destroy those natives who get in his way (Harker).

I thought it was about the dark underbelly of the Victorian era and sexual repression.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to chilipenguin)
Post #: 13
RE: Bram Stoker's Dracula - 19/12/2006 9:26:33 PM   
Tech_Noir

I thought it was a great book, beautifully written.

The opening chapters are just plain brilliant!

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 14
RE: Bram Stoker's Dracula - 20/12/2006 1:28:37 PM   
chilipenguin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: chilipenguin

I thought it was about the dark underbelly of the Victorian era and sexual repression.

Well that too obviously

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

New short story/portfolio blog online HERE

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 15
RE: Bram Stoker's Dracula - 27/12/2006 9:05:21 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: bozo

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

It's not bad, you should read it. Definitely Stevenson's best work.

And it's a lot better than Dracula - though not as influential.

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 16
RE: Bram Stoker's Dracula - 28/12/2006 6:02:23 AM   
Chrisdee

quote:

ORIGINAL: mumblin sumpthin

quote:

Couldn't agree more. It's one of my favourite books, yes, it does have it's slow parts but then so do a lot of books. None of the films have ever truly captured the story in the way that the book does.

that is such the truth! the book is WOW! I can't describe it without using a term associated with 'hotdogs' . I love the book and have been disappointed in the films--but oh well. The best begining I have ever read.....I read the first 5 chapters with such excitement....I couldn't put it down (difficult since it was an online book) but I knew I had to read it....and then, it slowed down...but then I got the book and finished it and at the end....I was going crazy if they were going to make it by sunset......AHHHHHH it was sooooooo intense! I loved it. No other book had me crawling as this book has or did (whichever term is correct). Fabulous book one of my top 10! could be in top 5 but I can't think straight at the moment.

Enjoy this moment

(in reply to mumblin sumpthin)
Post #: 17
RE: Bram Stoker's Dracula - 28/12/2006 10:13:23 PM   
bozo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chrisdee

quote:

ORIGINAL: mumblin sumpthin

quote:

that is such the truth! the book is WOW! I can't describe it without using a term associated with 'hotdogs' . I love the book and have been disappointed in the films--but oh well. The best begining I have ever read.....I read the first 5 chapters with such excitement....I couldn't put it down (difficult since it was an online book) but I knew I had to read it....and then, it slowed down...but then I got the book and finished it and at the end....I was going crazy if they were going to make it by sunset......AHHHHHH it was sooooooo intense! I loved it. No other book had me crawling as this book has or did (whichever term is correct). Fabulous book one of my top 10! could be in top 5 but I can't think straight at the moment.

Welcome

(in reply to Chrisdee)
Post #: 18
RE: Bram Stoker's Dracula - 7/1/2007 2:49:20 PM   
Cuchulainn

Aah,Dracula...I was 15 when I first read this,after seeing (and loving) Christopher Lee,Lugosi and spending my entire pocket money as a kid on Marvel's Tomb Of Dracula comics...I absolutely adored the novel at the time and still do to a great degree...There's an impending sense of dread pervading the whole thing which gives it a fever-dream-like quality (similar to the confused entries in Harker's diaries) that I can only remember experiencing again after reading Stephen King's 'Salem's Lot...
I recall reading it while home sick from school (which might have greatly affected my appraisal of it)...One of the great reading experiences of my life... 

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 19
RE: Bram Stoker's Dracula - 19/1/2007 8:06:36 PM   
sarahlouise

I think it is a brilliant book, in my top ten books of all time, i think its a book I will continue to re-read, i think Van Helsing is a brilliant character and i wish they would make a film/series more in keeping with the book rather than trying to apply modern themes to it, if they could capture the intensity of the book on film then they wouldn't have to try and modernise it to appeal to a larger audience

(in reply to eam91)
Post #: 20
RE: Bram Stoker's Dracula - 19/1/2007 10:05:11 PM   
bozo

quote:

ORIGINAL: sarahlouise

I think it is a brilliant book, in my top ten books of all time, i think its a book I will continue to re-read, i think Van Helsing is a brilliant character and i wish they would make a film/series more in keeping with the book rather than trying to apply modern themes to it, if they could capture the intensity of the book on film then they wouldn't have to try and modernise it to appeal to a larger audience

If you mean the film with Hugh Jackman... ouch. Nothing to do with Stoker's character, but based on a comic book as far as I know.
Horrible achievement, that film.

(in reply to sarahlouise)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Bram Stoker's Dracula Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI