Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Mortgages..who's got one?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mortgages..who's got one? Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mortgages..who's got one? - 23/11/2006 11:19:05 AM   
Newander

Who else here has got a mortgage? We signed last month for our apartment and now will be forking out for the next gazillion years to pay for it.
The costs you pay over here when you buy something are astronimical. Yesterday, in the bank we had 19000 and in one swoop, it's gone, to pay for the 'costs'. Thats like 13000 pounds , for paperwork and solicitors fee etc...thats a lot isn't it?

Just feeling like we have nothing now....well we do have a home...

Who else has felt like this or feels like this?

To indeed be a god!
Post #: 1
RE: Mortgages..who's got one? - 23/11/2006 11:39:01 AM   
kennedy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Newander

Who else here has got a mortgage? We signed last month for our apartment and now will be forking out for the next gazillion years to pay for it.
The costs you pay over here when you buy something are astronimical. Yesterday, in the bank we had 19000 and in one swoop, it's gone, to pay for the 'costs'. Thats like 13000 pounds , for paperwork and solicitors fee etc...thats a lot isn't it?

Just feeling like we have nothing now....well we do have a home...

Who else has felt like this or feels like this?

That's just ridiculous!! We have just bought our 2nd house and we paid about 3000 in fees etc. It is better to get abit more on your mortgage, not just for fees but for decorating etc.
Home buying is expensvie but in the end you have an investment that COULD give
a good return should you need financial stability in the future.Apparently.

Founder of Empiria

Empiria - Empirically Perfect

"Remember boys, flies spread disease, so keep yours closed!"

"Don't do it! You're a young man!"

(in reply to Newander)
Post #: 2
RE: Mortgages..who's got one? - 23/11/2006 11:52:06 AM   
Newander

The 'fees'  for buying property over here is different to the UK, the apartment we bought has gone up since we moved in four months ago, it's just scary the whole mortgage thing and saving for years to get the money to pay for all the costs and then it's all gone in one day.

To indeed be a god!

(in reply to kennedy)
Post #: 3
RE: Mortgages..who's got one? - 23/11/2006 11:58:33 AM   
Base

The fees are still pretty insane over here, but it's the prices themselves that are really f&*ked up!!!!  Bought a small house at the beginning of the year and it'll be something around half a million by the time we finish paying, including all of the interest...!  I love the place, but I still shudder at the thought of owing that much!!!!

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to Newander)
Post #: 4
RE: Mortgages..who's got one? - 23/11/2006 12:01:29 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

13000 for fees?

I'd have moved to the UK if I had to pay that much! When me and the girlfriend bought our house we only paid about 3500 in fees.

It is quite a scary experience if doing it for the first time as I found but you'll get used to it. We took a mortgage out for 140,000 to get this house but it's worth it, we've been here nearly two years now and the value of the property has risen about 20,000. Just glad I didn't opt for a variable mortgage otherwise I'd be paying out a lot more than I am now each month with the higher interest rates!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Newander)
Post #: 5
RE: Mortgages..who's got one? - 23/11/2006 12:08:38 PM   
AndyT

I'm a student til June. Then final year over.........and welcome real world.

Should I be terrified?

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 6
RE: Mortgages..who's got one? - 23/11/2006 12:11:03 PM   
Newander

quote:

ORIGINAL: AndyT

I'm a student til June. Then final year over.........and welcome real world.

Should I be terrified?

Not unless you get a top paying job, have rich parents or suddenly come into loads of money.

To indeed be a god!

(in reply to AndyT)
Post #: 7
RE: Mortgages..who's got one? - 23/11/2006 12:39:31 PM   
mad_looney

i have a very unwanted understanding of how they work. Depending on the amount you borrow, the fees to get one can be small or large. Plus therer are limits on what you can borrow depending on how much you earn a year.

< Message edited by mad_looney -- 23/11/2006 12:40:28 PM >

Head of Military and Defence for the Peoples Republic of Empiria

http://www.myspace.com/fudzistan

Have your eyes ever been checked?
No Doctor, they've always been blue

(in reply to Newander)
Post #: 8
RE: Mortgages..who's got one? - 23/11/2006 12:41:30 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

I bought at the right time about 8 years ago just before the prices went up! I bought my house for 29950 and now its worth approx. 90,000.
My fees weren't all that much either. So for the bringer of bad news, its just I was lucky buying in a climate when house prices weren't that high.

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to Newander)
Post #: 9
RE: Mortgages..who's got one? - 23/11/2006 12:49:03 PM   
Twizzle

*edited*

< Message edited by Twizzle -- 23/11/2006 1:10:16 PM >

(in reply to MuckyMuckMan)
Post #: 10
RE: Mortgages..who's got one? - 23/11/2006 1:01:21 PM   
rikkie

Since we're bragging, I bought my house for 59K, and it's now worth 220,000.  Go me.

Oh no, not the bees! Not the bees! Ahhhhhh! All over my eyes! Eyes! Blaaaarghhh!

(in reply to Twizzle)
Post #: 11
RE: Mortgages..who's got one? - 23/11/2006 1:09:34 PM   
Twizzle

Sorry. It was not my intention to brag.

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 12
RE: Mortgages..who's got one? - 23/11/2006 1:11:05 PM   
rikkie

No, not at all - sorry, I omitted a smiley:

Damn though, I really feel sorry for people who don't have houses these days.  It's somewhat sobering to think that I couldn't afford to buy my own house...

Oh no, not the bees! Not the bees! Ahhhhhh! All over my eyes! Eyes! Blaaaarghhh!

(in reply to Twizzle)
Post #: 13
RE: Mortgages..who's got one? - 23/11/2006 1:22:38 PM   
great_badir

We bought our first house about 5 years ago, when the market was still on the up but before it got REALLY silly and the average house price hit over 200K.

We've got a just under 100K mortgage, which is about average these days I think.  Fortunately we've got quite a lot of capital in the house so we shouldn't need to stretch too far with future purchases, but it's a horrible feeling knowing that you've got this enormous debt hanging over you which will take about a third of your life to pay off.

These days, unless you've been saving for ages and have a massive deposit (or, as Newander says, have rich parents or a top paying job.............don't exepct one of them straight from uni, though) then getting on the first step of the ladder in the UK is near impossible.  More and more people are renting these days, which is just wasted money, really.  It's going to get to a point where buying abroad and commuting by plane will be much cheaper than living here.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 14
RE: Mortgages..who's got one? - 23/11/2006 1:41:57 PM   
zombiemaster

I don't.

When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth

(in reply to Newander)
Post #: 15
RE: Mortgages..who's got one? - 23/11/2006 1:55:37 PM   
WilliamMunny

I'm looking into getting one at the moment. Left uni 2 years ago, work in the city and earn higher than the "average wage" stated by the government, and yet i still can't afford to buy even a one bed flat anywhere near town, and if i move further out then i'll be able to buy a house, but won't be able to afford the commute.....hmmm

Harry Dresden - Wizard
Lost items found. Paranormal investigations. Consulting. Advice. Reasonable rates. No love potions, endless purses, parties or other entertainment.

(in reply to zombiemaster)
Post #: 16
RE: Mortgages..who's got one? - 23/11/2006 4:10:10 PM   
pettsy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rikkie

No, not at all - sorry, I omitted a smiley:

Damn though, I really feel sorry for people who don't have houses these days.  It's somewhat sobering to think that I couldn't afford to buy my own house...

I can't afford to buy my own house.   Not on my own anyway.

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 17
RE: Mortgages..who's got one? - 23/11/2006 4:21:51 PM   
LiliBee

Don't have a mortgage, because I can't afford to buy a house. I earn a pretty good salary, but the only way I can afford to buy a house in Oxford is to do part rent part buy schemes, or a one bedroom flat in a craphole of a council housing estate with no facilities.... and even those are probably out of my budget. Mobile homes sell for more than 100,000 round here. I could move out of the city, but this is where my friends and family are and I don't want to live in the sticks on my own. So I rent. Which annoys me because it's money thrown away and I'm gaining nothing. Bloody housing market. Bloody developers buying up all the properties to do up and sell on at profit. Grrrr.

Don't believe a word

(in reply to WilliamMunny)
Post #: 18
RE: Mortgages..who's got one? - 23/11/2006 5:33:32 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: rikkie

Since we're bragging, I bought my house for 59K, and it's now worth 220,000.  Go me.

You sound like my Dad...

Somehow me and Miss Clowny managed to get a mortgage in Greater London. Been in our flat for two years now and hoping it's increased slightly in price. No doubt doing up the bathroom and kitchen will help. I think we paid 2,500 for the assorted fees (solictors, survey, stamp duty, etc) but come the purchase of our next out Miss Clowny's little sister should have finished her Law Practice course - meaning I'll get her to do all the solictors stuff for a cup of tea and a biscuit helping me to save a grand or so! Woo-hoo!!

quote:

I can't afford to buy my own house.   Not on my own anyway.

Indeed, having two of you contribute to a mortgage (and stumping up the money for a deposit) makes it a whole lot easier. Without Miss Clowny I'd probably be renting still (or worse, living at home until I was forty...eek!)

< Message edited by clownfoot -- 23/11/2006 5:35:07 PM >

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 19
RE: Mortgages..who's got one? - 23/11/2006 6:31:16 PM   
pete c

Just before the house prices went crazy me and the Girlfriend got ourselves a home for 52,000,she dumped me 6 months later for a guy she worked with and we decided to sell the house...big mistake.I moved back with my old man and now the house is now worth a crazy 120,000!!! I'm still looking for a very rich woman or the only chance i have is to wack my parents and i get half of their 400,000 house.....Im joking by the way

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 20
RE: Mortgages..who's got one? - 23/11/2006 9:37:45 PM   
pettsy

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

Indeed, having two of you contribute to a mortgage (and stumping up the money for a deposit) makes it a whole lot easier. Without Miss Clowny I'd probably be renting still (or worse, living at home until I was forty...eek!)

It's a real, and scary, prospect.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 21
RE: Mortgages..who's got one? - 14/6/2007 1:18:52 PM   
Timon

I'm currently looking into getting one and I'm fucking terrified.

Firstly, my dad is in to property development and wants to invest with me (2/3 for him, 1/3 for me) so that helps but we're looking at properties ranging from 150-220,000?!! It'll just be me living there and I'm wondering how in God's name I'm meant to afford the mortgage.

I'm trying to get my head round it all works. I have about 6K all saved up and earn 13K (?!?!) before tax which is just depressing. Am i insane to think I should be getting on the property ladder because I'm just trying to figure out how I even begin to afford it.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to pettsy)
Post #: 22
RE: Mortgages..who's got one? - 14/6/2007 1:26:37 PM   
jonson

Have I got a mortgage?
You'll have to ask the wife, she deals with that and she's not in at the moment.
Let me take your number and I can call you back when you're eating your dinner.
Twat.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 23
RE: Mortgages..who's got one? - 14/6/2007 1:29:36 PM   
Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Firstly, my dad is in to property development and wants to invest with me (2/3 for him, 1/3 for me) so that helps but we're looking at properties ranging from 150-220,000?!! It'll just be me living there and I'm wondering how in God's name I'm meant to afford the mortgage.

I'm trying to get my head round it all works. I have about 6K all saved up and earn 13K (?!?!) before tax which is just depressing. Am i insane to think I should be getting on the property ladder because I'm just trying to figure out how I even begin to afford it.

I know alot of people buying places around Dublin and the prices are horrendous, personally I think some of the people are taking a gamble, with Interest rates rising in the Euro Zone. Usually its young couples who buy and they have to depend on both incomes, with very little disposable afterwards, if anyone of their jobs go they are up a creek. Plus when you look into the future they both will be working while their children are young and childcare costs are sky high in Ireland. I
think a big problem is that alot of people view their home as an investment property that will make them rich. I suppose it depends on individual circumstances, do you see yourself earning more in the future, how much is rented accomodation, can you save much after you pay your rent etc

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 24
RE: Mortgages..who's got one? - 14/6/2007 1:32:10 PM   
Felix

Yes we do, though only because both myself and Mrs F earn. I dont know how people are meant to afford a place on their own.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 25
RE: Mortgages..who's got one? - 14/6/2007 1:34:49 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

quote:

think a big problem is that alot of people view their home as an investment property that will make them rich. I suppose it depends on individual circumstances, do you see yourself earning more in the future

I bloody better do! Shouldn't be a problem.

quote:

, how much is rented accomodation,

A lot. Around the same as mortgage repayments in some areas.

quote:

can you save much after you pay your rent etc

Not really especially with management fees and such. The problem will still be there with the house with council tax, bills and such but it's swings and roundabouts.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 26
RE: Mortgages..who's got one? - 14/6/2007 1:54:35 PM   
Base

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

quote:

think a big problem is that alot of people view their home as an investment property that will make them rich. I suppose it depends on individual circumstances, do you see yourself earning more in the future

I bloody better do! Shouldn't be a problem.

quote:

, how much is rented accomodation,

A lot. Around the same as mortgage repayments in some areas.

quote:

can you save much after you pay your rent etc

Not really especially with management fees and such. The problem will still be there with the house with council tax, bills and such but it's swings and roundabouts.

You're going to have to sit down and work out a budget and see how much you can afford to spend on mortgage payments each month, that'll affect how long a mortgage you will have to take (can't be long before we are like China and you have to sign up descendents to carry on the mortgage payments ).  You'll need to make sure you either have excellent insurance or can save each month too for when the boiler blows up or the roof falls off...

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 27
RE: Mortgages..who's got one? - 14/6/2007 1:58:51 PM   
captain jack harknes

I got a mortgage with my boyf last year - our flat was 120,000 and we got our 1 year mortgage statement through recently - we now owe 124,000 (didn't realsise it would go up - must have been the fees we added on!!) and we still have 39 years left to go!!!! So i'll be 62 when its paid for!

We were lucky that a lot of the furniture was free with the flat (Redrow gave us new sofas etc. as an incentive) so our initial set up costs weren't as bad as they would have been if we had to buy furniture, carpets etc. as well.  Although we're broke I'm glad we did it as I can only see it getting more expensive in the future.

"The arctic has no respect for fashion, Vince"

"I ain't no one's trophy."

"You got it, Allison. You got it RAW!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 28
RE: Mortgages..who's got one? - 14/6/2007 3:35:10 PM   
Chief

I shacked up with my Mrs. almost two years ago now. We got a mortgage for 95k and although not crippling, you definately feel the pinch.

Mind you, I was still skint when I stayed with my parents and had no overheads. Maybe it has something to do with how I handle money!

(in reply to Newander)
Post #: 29
RE: Mortgages..who's got one? - 14/6/2007 4:08:41 PM   
ilovebeerme

Just never, ever look at how much you are paying back in total because it'll make you collapse to the floor and cry like a tiny baby.

Like food and wine? Come join the conversation at http://kitchendecanted.com/

Latest post - Chicken with Thai basil and chili

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mortgages..who's got one? Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI