Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Day Break "24 meets Groundhog Day" - US Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Day Break "24 meets Groundhog Day" - US Thread Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Day Break "24 meets Groundhog Day" - US Thread - 21/11/2006 11:59:39 AM   
frankie

Really surprised there's not already a thread on this new show (there isn't is there?).
It's the show that's filling in for Lost on ABC right now and is like 24 meets Groundhog Day.

I've seen the first 2 episodes and think it's great. Here's the premise:

A cop named Hopper (Taye Diggs) is living the same day over and over again. The trouble is, the day is one in which he is arrested for a murder he didn't commit and that nasty things are happening to his loved ones. Can he change the outcomes? Can he escape the repeating day he's trapped in. All WILL (apparently) be revealed within the show's 12 week run.

I'm really enjoying it so far and hope others here take a look and post here to say what they think.
Ther's loads of room for speculation on the plot and it's nice to know for once that there's actually an end plan that we won't be waiting years to see.
And apparently, if the show gets picked up for  a second season, it'll be all about him reliving another fateful day.

So, anyone else seen it yet?

< Message edited by frankie -- 21/11/2006 12:33:32 PM >

A golden future awaits you. Just kidding.
Post #: 1
RE: Day Break - US Thread - 21/11/2006 12:00:57 PM   
ndy_vrg

I thought that it was rather disappointing

There's someone running around in a gorilla suit?
What's he look like?

(in reply to frankie)
Post #: 2
RE: Day Break - US Thread - 21/11/2006 12:03:44 PM   
frankie

Really? I thought it was a good start, really I did and thought there's lots of space for the show to get better.
I'm really optimistic that if the writers explore all avenues of the "reliving the same day" format that this could be a really interesting show.

Oh well, maybe it's just me then.

(in reply to ndy_vrg)
Post #: 3
RE: Day Break - US Thread - 21/11/2006 12:53:05 PM   
Captain Black

I agree with you, Frankie - I thought it was a blast. Motored along at a cracking pace, deftly sidestipped all the potential pitfalls of the concept (it's certainly got enough material to draw inspriation from!), some good twists (I liked that he carried injuries through each iteration) and what seems to be a good plot behind it. Shockingly, it didn't fail to have some decent characterisation either; Hopper's no Jack Bauer (though Diggs has got decent screen presence) and in particular the women were well written for such a 'blokey' show.

There were some pretty well shot action sequences in too; not too sure about the scene where he faced the car, and I'm hoping that when is partner had the opportunity to shoot the mercernary and didn't will be relevant later (like she knows him or something) otherwise that was a bit contrived.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to frankie)
Post #: 4
RE: Day Break "24 meets Groundhog Day" - US ... - 21/11/2006 3:53:13 PM   
Timon

Sounds like my sort of thing...although do i really have time for another tv show in life? I haven't watched HEROES for this reason.....

Ah what the hell. Also has anyone continued watching THE NINE? Saw the pilot...it was ok. Haven't watched any more though.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to frankie)
Post #: 5
RE: Day Break "24 meets Groundhog Day" - US ... - 21/11/2006 5:36:42 PM   
audreyII

This sounds interesting, have been looking for some new programmes.

Tried Vanished, watched a few episodes, now found out FOX have pulled it, might give up on that one.

Have seen the first few episodes of The Nine and it is interesting, will keep going with this.

Insanity runs in my family... it practically gallops

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 6
RE: Day Break "24 meets Groundhog Day" - US ... - 21/11/2006 7:19:41 PM   
Jack's Rage

I was pleasantly surprised because the quality was a lot higher then I anticipated.  I've always liked Tay Diggs.  I think he's got a lot of charisma and comes off as effortlessly cool.  So I gave this a shot.  Everything seems tight and for the most part well thought out (although I'd agree with Captain Black that the shoot out at the motel was a bit questionable.  (It took Agent Skinner and his buddy a bit too long to "act" after seeing some dude put on surgical gloves and whip out a shotgun).  Granted its only 2 episodes but I think this has a chance to be damn good.  Also the writers have this all figured out.  That means they don't have to write "around" things. 

I that regard I would compare it to the initial run of episodes of Prison Break (which was fantastic TV.  That is before it got extended and the "filler", "make up" writing, and overuse of cheap misdirection tricks came into play.  Although I still do like the show).  With that said, this is only the pilot which are generally well done.  So it could all easily fall apart. 

Btw, the girl that plays Hopper's girlfriend is freaking HOT!

Its already done so shut up!

(in reply to audreyII)
Post #: 7
RE: Day Break "24 meets Groundhog Day" - US ... - 23/11/2006 4:21:04 PM   
frankie

Right, episode 3, " What If He Let's Her Go?" (following "Pilot" and "What If They Run?"), the first episode proper is up now. I've watched  half of it so far and it looks like the show is really kicking into gear now.

I find the whole premise very intriguing (hope i'm not the only one) and admit that it's already got me hooked. I find it similar in addictiveness to Life On mars from earlier this year.

I too like the twist that hopper carries injuries over into each day, meaning there's a real sense of danger. He could actually get killed unlike Bill Murray in Groundhog Day.

C'mon Timon and the rest of you. get watching it and start speculating like me.
I'm guessing the tramp that keeps just standing and looking at Hopper has a high significance on why e's trapped in a recurring day situation. Could he also be reliving this particular day?

< Message edited by frankie -- 23/11/2006 4:23:33 PM >

(in reply to Jack's Rage)
Post #: 8
RE: Day Break "24 meets Groundhog Day" - US ... - 23/11/2006 5:46:57 PM   
Timon

Just watched the first episode. Yeah, it's ok but where can this actually go?

Time to watch Ep 2 me thinks.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Jack's Rage)
Post #: 9
RE: Day Break "24 meets Groundhog Day" - US ... - 24/11/2006 12:13:15 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

Day Break has been getting poor ratings in the U.S. I'm not expecting it to be renewed beyond the original 13 episode order but that might not be a bad thing - producers have said that the mystery is completely wrapped up in these 13 episodes and any future episodes would deal with a brand new mystery. So we'll still get a complete story, it'll just be in miniseries form (which I feel is something American networks should aim to do rather than drag shows out). The same thing happened with Kidnapped this year with the show being pulled but allowed to wrap up the mystery.

The only problem for us is that it could be taken off the air and made available online to Americans. The UK rights have gone to Bravo so we might need to see it there. This is all based on the assumption that they pull it off the air before the 13 episodes are up, which they may not do.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 10
RE: Day Break "24 meets Groundhog Day" - US ... - 24/11/2006 3:04:17 AM   
Jim

I've just watched the first episode and I really liked it. It's got a good enough set-up for a story and I like Taye Diggs. And isn't his partner the chick from Mutant X? And it's got Firefly's Jayne (Adam Baldwin) in, too!

This'll make a nice bit of viewing, I like that it's only 13 episodes and that it's a contained story - makes a change from Lost! Plus it'll fill the break in Lost S3 nicely, I hope.

"Oh shit, swamp leeches! Everybody! Check for swamp leeches and pull them off! ...nobody else got hit? I'm the only one? What's the deal?"

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 11
RE: Day Break "24 meets Groundhog Day" - US ... - 25/11/2006 1:16:54 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

Finally got round to watching the first three episodes and enjoyed them all. I love anything with a good conspiracy theory so this is working for me.

Having his injuries carry over to the next day is a good idea since it puts boundaries on what he can and can't do before waking up again.

I was worried that things would get too repetitive but they've managed to avoid it so far. I particularly liked seeing Hopper entering the car of the guys who were following him and then going to Baxter's house. It's interesting that the guys following him aren't aware that the day is repeating as it means Hopper can continue to outwit them.

OK, I'm trying to figure out what's happening here. We have the Latin Disciples, a major gang in the city. They've started doing contract killings and Damien has turned narc and is spilling the info to Hopper. Hopper puts Damien in a safe house to keep him safe, but the District Attorney (Baxter) gives the information to the group who are following Hopper.

Then we have Assistant District Attorney Garza, who obviously knew something was going to happen because he got one of his employees (who Baxter is sleeping with) to send a package containing an hourglass to Hopper. It would seem a bit of an anti-climax if the reason for the whole conspiracy was becuase of contract killings carried out by the Latin Disciples. Something bigger hopefully.

(in reply to Jim)
Post #: 12
RE: Day Break "24 meets Groundhog Day" - US ... - 27/11/2006 1:10:49 AM   
frankj

I took a chance on this one, having read it about it on various threads - and I'm so glad I  did!

The basic premise - "24 meets Groundhog Day" - works really well, and is utterly fascinating. Everthing that happens on Day 1 becomes significant, and the way Hopper ultimately begins to solve the fall-out from the bus crash works really well!

And I loved the tone-change in episode 3 - so much so that I can't wait for episode 4!

"And if they try to stop us Seaweed, we'll call the end of a lacy pea..."

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 13
RE: Day Break "24 meets Groundhog Day" - US ... - 27/11/2006 1:17:15 AM   
frankj

And I know it seems weak, but I really hope they'll go down the Groundhog Day route and never explain why it's all happening...

"And if they try to stop us Seaweed, we'll call the end of a lacy pea..."

(in reply to frankj)
Post #: 14
RE: Day Break "24 meets Groundhog Day" - US ... - 9/2/2007 10:02:02 AM   
Captain Black

Although this was cancelled before Christmas, all of the episodes were shot and have recently been put up on the torrent sites. I think there are 13 in total though not all are uploaded as yet (I think they're taken from ABC's website). The image quailty isn't bad, though I've found (not actually watched them yet, just had a quick scan) that it suffers a bit from dropped frames in certain scenes.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to frankj)
Post #: 15
RE: Day Break "24 meets Groundhog Day" - US ... - 9/2/2007 11:49:01 AM   
HIM

This sounds ace. Is it worth me dwnloading the full 13 episodes or am I better off waiting for it to be put on Bravo or DVD?

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 16
RE: Day Break "24 meets Groundhog Day" - US ... - 9/2/2007 12:03:59 PM   
Timon

I watched the 5 episodes and it was entertaining enough but I shed no tears over the cancellation news and really can't be bothered to see the rest of episodes.....

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 17
RE: Day Break "24 meets Groundhog Day" - US ... - 9/2/2007 12:16:15 PM   
Captain Black

Difficult to say really, HIM. You could try the first ep and see if you like that, then go from there. I think if you like the first then you'll enjoy the rest (er, although Timon could have just thrown that theory out of the window ). However, I do think it helps being able to go back and watch certain elements because it is pretty convoluted plot.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 18
RE: Day Break "24 meets Groundhog Day" - US ... - 10/2/2007 9:24:29 AM   
frankie

After my initial excitement at the show (which even lead me to start this thread), I gave up on it after 4 episodes. Now it's been cancelled, I can't be bothered with watching the rest. I still think it was a good idea for a show though.

Does the plot wrap up neatly by the 13th episode then?

Post #: 19
RE: Day Break "24 meets Groundhog Day" - US ... - 10/2/2007 9:47:34 AM   
Wedge

Another Sci-fi series falls flat on its face and/or is cancelled?!  My favourite TV genre, I despair!

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to frankie)
Post #: 20
RE: Day Break "24 meets Groundhog Day" - US ... - 10/2/2007 5:58:40 PM   
LB Jeffries

I've quite enjoyed this. As a stand-alone 13-parter I think it's worked pretty well so I'm kind of glad there isn't going to be second series. Just 3 eps left online, now.

“When he shall die, take him and cut him out in little stars and he will make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with night and pay no worship to the garish sun.”

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 21
RE: Day Break "24 meets Groundhog Day" - US ... - 15/2/2007 7:58:41 PM   
Felix

I've erm, 'acquired' the first 12 episodes, waiting forr episode 13. Watched upto 3 so far, its pretty good. Great to see Jayne Baldwin in another role and Taye's Diggs girlfriend has a lovely pair of breasts.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to LB Jeffries)
Post #: 22
RE: Day Break "24 meets Groundhog Day" - US ... - 23/2/2007 9:26:12 AM   
Felix

I've now watched all 12 available episodes and its excellent. Very clever premise and very well done too. Especially liked the episode where he just goes on holiday for a couple of weeks, but it only costs him one day.

Does anyone know if and when the last episode is going to be available? I'm dying to know how it all ends now!!

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 23
RE: Day Break "24 meets Groundhog Day" - US ... - 23/2/2007 9:43:20 AM   
Captain Black

I was just looking into that. It's not been uploaded on ABC's site as yet. No clear reason why, other than it's ABC and they're a bunch of numpties. Apparently they didn't even edit episode 12 correctly when they originally put it on their site so whole scenes were out of sequence. I'm hoping the version I've got has been re-edited. Possibly by the kind souls who uploaded it.

Even it falls apart at the end, I thought it was a really good series. Maybe could have done with a bit more character and a bit less plot, but structurally it was well written and it was a contained, finite story, unlike any number of shows that carried on past their prime.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 24
RE: Day Break "24 meets Groundhog Day" - US ... - 23/2/2007 10:29:30 AM   
Felix

I'd agree that it has kind of wandered around a bit in the last couple of episodes. I'm glad its only 13 and  (hopefully) fully resolved, not sure the format could last a whole 23 or 24 episode run.

IMDB says its up on 26th Feb, fingers crossed some kind soul puts it on the torrents for us Brits.

[This space for rent] -

Post #: 25
RE: Day Break "24 meets Groundhog Day" - US ... - 5/3/2007 7:55:47 PM   
Mason Verger

Bravo begin showing it on Wednesday 7 March at 10.00pm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_Break

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 26
RE: Day Break "24 meets Groundhog Day" - US ... - 15/3/2007 1:35:01 PM   
Felix

Well, have just finished watching the final episode and must say, what a complete disappointment that was. Seemed very rushed. Has anyone else watched it?

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 27
RE: Day Break "24 meets Groundhog Day" - US ... - 15/3/2007 1:48:00 PM   
Jim

I decided to get the webisodes and finish what I'd started . I'm on episode 10 or 11 now, they've *SPOILERS* just caught Dominguez and Hopper thought it was over but then he woke up on the same day again *END*.

It was getting really good, then this whole 'Crying Man' stuff indicated it was coming off the rails a bit, and now you're telling me the ending is disappointing. Hm. I was beginning to suspect the ending wouldn't be good enough, but I've only got 2 or 3 episodes left now so I'm still gonna watch it to find out.

There'd better be at least some explanation for why the day started repeating.

"Oh shit, swamp leeches! Everybody! Check for swamp leeches and pull them off! ...nobody else got hit? I'm the only one? What's the deal?"

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 28
RE: Day Break "24 meets Groundhog Day" - US ... - 15/3/2007 3:39:26 PM   
Captain Black

Really? I thought it was really good, up to and including the end (the last shot in particular was a nice touch and somewhat unexpected). I didn't really think it was rushed at all, I just think that a lot of shows tend to struggle with the last episode because structurally (at least for serial shows like this that rely on cliffhangers) they're so used to ending the episode with a bang to get you to watch the following week, where here they have to do that in 30 minutes (ish) so they've got enough time to do a proper wrap up. But yeah, overall I'd say it delivered about as well as any new show has for me this season.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Jim)
Post #: 29
RE: Day Break "24 meets Groundhog Day" - US ... - 15/3/2007 3:44:56 PM   
Felix

Obviously there are spoilers from here on if you havent watched the final episode...

It annoyed me there was no explanation as to why the day kept repeating, also Damien's change of mind was badly handled. One moment he's being beaten up and about to be killed for betraying him, the next moment he's waking up in the boot of the car. And its the next day. Just like that. Why?! What did he do differently for tomorrow to finally come. It just seemed that they discared it without too much care.

The final shot was good, though I didnt recognise him at first. Why show him though? How did he get out of the day? Was his release seperate to Hopper's, or did Hopper's escaping the day release him too?

The ending just seemed a little flat to me. Pity, as it was a great series.

[This space for rent] -

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Day Break "24 meets Groundhog Day" - US Thread Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI