Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: We have a feeling Ringers across the globe will have something to say about this…

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: We have a feeling Ringers across the globe will have something to say about this… Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: We have a feeling Ringers across the globe will hav... - 22/11/2006 1:52:11 AM   
danbo1138

the ,more i think about it the more it gets on my tits

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to Isawien)
Post #: 121
- 22/11/2006 10:43:04 AM   
1587sandy

Note to New Line: Are you trying to answer one of the most important question in film making, as in how to make a movie flop? I'll answer it for you. Change the director to the prequel of a Masterpiece!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 122
RE: - 22/11/2006 5:14:28 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

The situation is that Jackson thinks he is owed more from merchandising/ computer games etc. while New Line do not. Jackson has said that he is willing for someone completely independant to review the case and he will fully accept the judgement whether he wins or loses. It seems to me you can't say fairer than that

(in reply to 1587sandy)
Post #: 123
RE: Jackson Loses The Hobbit - 22/11/2006 5:51:00 PM   
*Cinecism*

quote:

Surely the likes of Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis, Christopher Lee and possibly Ian Holm would only return if Peter Jackson returned also? Methinks New Line may have shot themselves in the foot over this one. Didn't they make enough cash from the films?!

If I were them, I'd return...

I'm sure somebody else could direct the Hobbit pretty well...however, I'd feel an awful lot more comfortable if it was still in PJ's hands. I trust him to do a pretty decent adaption...

I'd be a lot more concerned if the overall design of the film changed i.e. locations like Rivendell being different. I don't know quite who has the rights to all of that, but you can't improve on perfection and it'd be disturbing to see them changed.

All in all, I think it's a bad move...but I'm not ruling out it could be good.

Visit my movieblog: http://cinecism.blogspot.com/

Post #: 124
RE: Jackson Loses The Hobbit - 22/11/2006 6:06:32 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: *Cinecism*

All in all, I think it's a bad move...but I'm not ruling out it could be good.

Yeah we have no way of knowing whether further films will be be worse without Jackson but there is one thing set in stone - that Jackson made Middle Earth work in a way few could have imagined in terms of commercial and critical success.

The chances of Jackson failing to make The Hobbit and any prequel a success surely have to be much slimmer than handing the project to someone without a similar level of experience creating these worlds.

Plus I'd be genuinely suprised if anyone actually turned out a part in any future movie because Jackson wasn't involved - after all they are going to be expensive blockbusters whoever is at the helm

< Message edited by Fluke Skywalker -- 22/11/2006 6:09:46 PM >

(in reply to *Cinecism*)
Post #: 125
RE: Jackson Loses The Hobbit - 23/11/2006 2:00:32 AM   
The Todge

Well McKellen;s come forth on his opinion.

It seems Jackson has emailed him directly regarding it.  And no doubt, he would have contacted Serkis as well.  Here it is:

http://www.mckellen.com/epost/lotr/061122.htm

Just gotta wait on Serkis now.  It's all building in Jackson's favour just now.

Tho there is an unconfirmed rumour that Sam Rami has been offered the job, Id ake that with a large pinch of salt tho.

THIS..............is God.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 126
RE: Jackson Loses The Hobbit - 23/11/2006 2:38:14 AM   
aldaboss

quote:

Surely the likes of Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis, Christopher Lee and possibly Ian Holm would only return if Peter Jackson returned also? Methinks New Line may have shot themselves in the foot over this one. Didn't they make enough cash from the films?!

As much as it pains me to say this I dont think Ian Holm will be returning. I know he would love to from interviews he has done but even if this does see the light of day production wont really start till 2008. Ian will be almost 77 then and in recent months....even the last year I have seen his condition decline. Physically it willl be a lot for him to take on and make up wise it would be hours a day. Ian I know would give everything he could to the role but given he pulled out of the POPE tv film (john voight took his place) because of health(although it wasnt offically annoucned) Im not sure Ian will be ready for the role. As....probably the only die hard ian holm fan out there,lol, It pains me to say I cant see him returning. Although PLEASE prove me wrong ian.

My god is a boob

(in reply to *Cinecism*)
Post #: 127
RE: Jackson Loses The Hobbit - 23/11/2006 9:12:04 AM   
bupesh

dont know if that has been posted but on news.bbc.co.uk they reported that MGM have siad "the matter is far from over"....ohhhhh

(in reply to aldaboss)
Post #: 128
RE: Jackson Loses The Hobbit - 23/11/2006 9:22:39 AM   
kennedy

quote:

ORIGINAL: aldaboss

quote:

As much as it pains me to say this I dont think Ian Holm will be returning. I know he would love to from interviews he has done but even if this does see the light of day production wont really start till 2008. Ian will be almost 77 then and in recent months....even the last year I have seen his condition decline. Physically it willl be a lot for him to take on and make up wise it would be hours a day. Ian I know would give everything he could to the role but given he pulled out of the POPE tv film (john voight took his place) because of health(although it wasnt offically annoucned) Im not sure Ian will be ready for the role. As....probably the only die hard ian holm fan out there,lol, It pains me to say I cant see him returning. Although PLEASE prove me wrong ian.

This is what bothered me even when The Hobbit was just a rumour at the time.
I was thinking logistically that it would be a nightmare getting Ian Holm on board
because of his age and the make-up situation.( They had to tape Ian's face back
to make him look younger in the prolouge of TFOTR).
So unless Ian Holm's becomes a digital character() I can't see how this film will be able to keep up with the LOTR trilogy in terms of continuity, would it be worth
making?

Founder of Empiria

Empiria - Empirically Perfect

"Remember boys, flies spread disease, so keep yours closed!"

"Don't do it! You're a young man!"

(in reply to aldaboss)
Post #: 129
RE: Jackson Loses The Hobbit - 23/11/2006 12:55:31 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: kennedy

quote:

quote:

I was thinking logistically that it would be a nightmare getting Ian Holm on board
So unless Ian Holm's becomes a digital character() I can't see how this film will be able to keep up with the LOTR trilogy in terms of continuity, would it be worth
making?

I don't think it would be too much of a stretch if they got another actor for the part - it's not as if Holm played a major role in the LOTR films anyway. I think Serkis would be much more important to get on board

< Message edited by Fluke Skywalker -- 23/11/2006 12:56:05 PM >

(in reply to kennedy)
Post #: 130
RE: Jackson Loses The Hobbit - 23/11/2006 1:49:57 PM   
kennedy

Surely if anyone can be replaced then Andy Serkis can. All that's needed is someone who has the same build and can impersonate Andy's voice for the role of Gollum. If WETA Digital is taken on again ( it would be foolish not to) then I'm sure they would have work saved from the trilogy to work on for Gollum.(My knowledge in this field isn't great as you can probably tell)
My memory of The Hobbit is fuzzy but Gollum isn't a main character in the book, is he? ( The ring is an after thought of The Hobbit )
Where with Ian Holm, he made Bilbo Baggins, I would find it difficult to watch knowing that the person chosen (other than Ian ) was not in the trilogy. I'm a stickler for continuity.

Founder of Empiria

Empiria - Empirically Perfect

"Remember boys, flies spread disease, so keep yours closed!"

"Don't do it! You're a young man!"

Post #: 131
RE: Jackson Loses The Hobbit - 23/11/2006 1:58:32 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

Surely if anyone can be replaced then Andy Serkis can. All that's needed is someone who has the same build and can impersonate Andy's voice for the role of Gollum. If WETA Digital is taken on again ( it would be foolish not to) then I'm sure they would have work saved from the trilogy to work on for Gollum.(My knowledge in this field isn't great as you can probably tell)
My memory of The Hobbit is fuzzy but Gollum isn't a main character in the book, is he? ( The ring is an after thought of The Hobbit )
Where with Ian Holm, he made Bilbo Baggins, I would find it difficult to watch knowing that the person chosen (other than Ian ) was not in the trilogy. I'm a stickler for continuity.

I haven't read it to be honest - I also want continuity in films but sometimes you just have to replace people if they look a bit old. I think Serkis's vocal performance was brilliant in LOTR and I would miss that without a doubt

(in reply to kennedy)
Post #: 132
RE: Jackson Loses The Hobbit - 23/11/2006 3:52:57 PM   
yeahwhatever

It does seem to be a big mess at the moment and while the desire to make money (NewLine) is strong, I predict, without Galadriel's magic mirror, that this film will be a long time coming to our screens. By which point you should have all grown out of this puerile nonsense. PJ did a good job but come on, they weren't that great, ROTK in particular was a big long dissappointment and how did he follow that? The big long dissappointment that was Kong, again not that bad but just not great or even, very good. so whether he does get to direct ~The Hobbit or not, if the reigns are given to Raimi or someone else, it's not going to be the film of the century - have you all read the book(s)? LOTR is far superior and while an adage exists that the worse the book the better the movie, I suspect, again without Galadriels help, that this will be nothing more than another waste of 10 hours of your life (3 hours in the cinema, 3 on dvd, 4 on directors cut dvd). Go see Pan's Labyrinth if you want well crafted fantasy, but stop worrying about Jackson and the hobbit(s) because neither deserve such attention, they've had quite enough already, the travesty that was the academy awards where ROTK sweep the board so decisively has seen to that.

Post #: 133
RE: Jackson Loses The Hobbit - 23/11/2006 8:22:58 PM   
The Todge

quote:

ORIGINAL: yeahwhatever

It does seem to be a big mess at the moment and while the desire to make money (NewLine) is strong, I predict, without Galadriel's magic mirror, that this film will be a long time coming to our screens. By which point you should have all grown out of this puerile nonsense. PJ did a good job but come on, they weren't that great, ROTK in particular was a big long dissappointment and how did he follow that? The big long dissappointment that was Kong, again not that bad but just not great or even, very good. so whether he does get to direct ~The Hobbit or not, if the reigns are given to Raimi or someone else, it's not going to be the film of the century - have you all read the book(s)? LOTR is far superior and while an adage exists that the worse the book the better the movie, I suspect, again without Galadriels help, that this will be nothing more than another waste of 10 hours of your life (3 hours in the cinema, 3 on dvd, 4 on directors cut dvd). Go see Pan's Labyrinth if you want well crafted fantasy, but stop worrying about Jackson and the hobbit(s) because neither deserve such attention, they've had quite enough already, the travesty that was the academy awards where ROTK sweep the board so decisively has seen to that.

Awww, that's ok, we like minority opinion too.

THIS..............is God.

(in reply to yeahwhatever)
Post #: 134
RE: Jackson Loses The Hobbit - 23/11/2006 9:01:30 PM   
KennyM

quote:

ORIGINAL: yeahwhatever

The big long dissappointment that was Kong, again not that bad but just not great or even, very good.

Or even mildly good. I was a big fan of the Rings trilogy and for the work Jackson put in and the end product of the three films, they maybe deserved some of their oscars imo he deserved his.
I would be a bit worried about the Hobbit bing made without Jackson, not because I think he is a great director as apart from the trilogy and Heavenly Creatures his output hasn't been that startling. It's just the fact that i honestly think he really wants to make the Hobbit and I dont think there's another director that would give as much to the film.
But I can't see it getting made without him anyway.

(in reply to yeahwhatever)
Post #: 135
RE: Jackson Loses The Hobbit - 23/11/2006 11:20:01 PM   
Glorfindel

As I big Rings fan, and an admirer of PJ at that, this has got me fuming!! I signed the The Hobbit Film - The way is was meant to be or not at all petition, as should every right-thinking Rings/Jackson fan!        

< Message edited by Glorfindel -- 24/11/2006 12:10:35 AM >

The Hobbit Film - The way it was meant to be or not at all.

(in reply to KennyM)
Post #: 136
RE: Jackson Loses The Hobbit - 24/11/2006 12:06:20 AM   
aldaboss

quote:

quote:

quote:

making?

That taping took hours and ian found it extremely uncomfortable. Plus how much of bilbo would we see in the prequal. Id love to see ian in the film but since playing bilbo he has had a lot of shit happen such as prostate cancer and general old age. Still fingers crossed.
Without Ian as Bilbo it will be a huge shame. As you said he really did make the character and his performence was outstanding. Ian understood the LOTR world too given he played Frodo in the radio adaption. But feck it...we will have no choice but to watch and see.

My god is a boob

(in reply to kennedy)
Post #: 137
RE: Jackson Loses The Hobbit - 24/11/2006 6:02:53 PM   
Glorfindel

Elijah Wood is also disappointed.

One thing that's not fine with him is news that a new "Hobbit" film might be made without "Lord of the Rings" director Peter Jackson.

"I haven't spoken to Peter," says Wood, who played head Hobbit Frodo in the acclaimed trilogy. "But I was very disappointed in the news. Peter Jackson is the man who worked over 10 years developing this world. Now, they might move forward on a new project with another director and it won't look or feel the same."

Especially since Wood wouldn't be involved either. He is, in fact, the keeper of "the ring" from Jackson's film trilogy.

"It's in a little pouch in a box tucked away. I don't display it," he says. "It's the ring. It's used to being undercover."

(in reply to aldaboss)
Post #: 138
RE: Jackson Loses The Hobbit - 24/11/2006 8:51:17 PM   
Dom Vito

Who cares, at the end of the day if the moneymen don't want Peter Jackson, then so be it.

It will be interesting to see who turns down the roles offered, because you can bet there will be no saddness when the actors are receiving their multi-million pound cheques.

P.S  Don't worry Ring fans Mr Jackson will not doubt release a you can't bend it never been seen before filmed thro Golums arse version of the Trillogy. 

Tagget take this down ......

Post #: 139
RE: Jackson Loses The Hobbit - 24/11/2006 8:52:27 PM   
Goody

Peter Jackson Will Direct The Hobbit?
Written by Robert Sanchez   
Friday, 24 November 2006

In what has become a high stakes game of poker, it looks like New Line may lose it's upper hand. So what are the odds that Peter Jackson will get the chance "To Go There and Back Again?" Saul Zaentz owner of  Tolkien Enterprises has also now gone on record supporting Peter Jackson as the director of The Hobbit.

It what might be a twist of fate it is possible that New Line Cinema will lose all rights to The Hobbit by next year. Saul is confident that Peter will be returning to Middle Earth that in a recent interview he said that "It will definitely be shot by Peter Jackson. The question is only when. He wants to shoot another movie first. Next year the Hobbit-rights will fall back to my company. I suppose that Peter will wait because he knows that he will make the best deal with us. And he is fed up with the studios: to get his profit share on the rings trilogy he had to sue New Line. With us in contrast he knows that he will be paid fairly and artistically supported without reservation."

This latest "Hollywood Drama" just shows how nasty things could get in this industry. What really surprises me is that this studio would so blatantly try to screw Peter and Fran over. Don't they get it? Peter and gang have done more for New Line/Time Warner then any other filmmaker ever has. Time Warner has never had a movie franchise that has been loved by the world over and has made it so much money. I give New Line/Time Warner no more than a month before it comes back to Peter with a public apology and settlement involving his law suit. Wouldn't surprise me if some exec over at New Line loses him job over this. Stey tuned to the IESB for the news from Middle Earth

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=755&Itemid=99

(in reply to Dom Vito)
Post #: 140
Re: Hobbit hiatus - 24/11/2006 10:22:07 PM   
LillyArwen

One word: Gutted.

Post #: 141
Jackson Loses The Hobbit - 25/11/2006 2:03:03 PM   
David Webb

Three words to NewLine.....Nose, spite, face.

Post #: 142
RE: Jackson Loses The Hobbit - 25/11/2006 2:50:45 PM   
swordsandsandals

Everyone sign the petition, if you want to see a decent book to film adaptation as opposed to another Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

Post #: 143
RE: Jackson Loses The Hobbit - 25/11/2006 5:27:44 PM   
Glorfindel

BBC News: Mckellen 'sad' at Hobbit decision.

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 144
RE: Jackson Loses The Hobbit - 26/11/2006 11:59:04 AM   
LongLiveTheKong

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

making?

That taping took hours and ian found it extremely uncomfortable. Plus how much of bilbo would we see in the prequal. Id love to see ian in the film but since playing bilbo he has had a lot of shit happen such as prostate cancer and general old age. Still fingers crossed.
Without Ian as Bilbo it will be a huge shame. As you said he really did make the character and his performence was outstanding. Ian understood the LOTR world too given he played Frodo in the radio adaption. But feck it...we will have no choice but to watch and see.

You seen X-Men 3? The digital de-aging? Hey presto.

What've they got in there, King Kong?

(in reply to aldaboss)
Post #: 145
- 26/11/2006 7:11:13 PM   
HayaoMiyazakiRules

I dont believe! How could they! It wouldn't be Middle-Earth without him! New Line you evil $%^&$*£@*&%$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .............well at least theres going to be a Hobbit film...........

Post #: 146
RE: - 26/11/2006 10:01:04 PM   
the anomaly

Im gutted. Its not right!

(in reply to HayaoMiyazakiRules)
Post #: 147
RE: Jackson Loses The Hobbit - 27/11/2006 2:46:10 AM   
aldaboss

quote:

ORIGINAL: LongLiveTheKong

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

making?

You seen X-Men 3? The digital de-aging? Hey presto.

that covers make up.

Now the rest has to be delt with.

My god is a boob

(in reply to LongLiveTheKong)
Post #: 148
RE: Jackson Loses The Hobbit - 30/11/2006 3:02:58 AM   
Glorfindel

NY Times: To Web Fans, Peter Jackson Is the One True Director.

MSN Movies- What 'The Hobbit' Is Going On Here?

(in reply to aldaboss)
Post #: 149
Jackson's Out?!?! - 3/12/2006 5:20:26 PM   
WorldsFastestMilkman

What a bloody shame. He and his team would have done a magnificent job. No argument. We can just hope the new guy does the book proud (it's the first book I ever read!). Not sure about a second prequel though, what's that all about?! Sounds like a crappy cash in job. Almost glad PJ didn't involve himself in that one.

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: We have a feeling Ringers across the globe will have something to say about this… Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI