Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE: - 12/10/2011 12:38:37 PM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jasper_29

After 14 years it is amazing how good the effects are. A nearly perfect film except for some of the performances. Van Dien is terrible and "He's supposed to be terrible" is no excuse..

He was the Sam Worthington of his day!
Great film!
Reboot,remake anyone??

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to Jasper_29)
Post #: 31
RE: RE: - 12/10/2011 12:43:58 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jasper_29

After 14 years it is amazing how good the effects are. A nearly perfect film except for some of the performances. Van Dien is terrible and "He's supposed to be terrible" is no excuse.. 

Yep, the effects are superb. I think it simply shows that modern CGI is rushed to meet a release date (certainly was for the King Kong premiere - I think it's been tided up since) where when it was in it's initial stages it was used much more effectively. One of the few films I actually have on Blu-ray. And the performances are great. The film would be so much less fun if it involved competent actors!

< Message edited by clownfoot -- 12/10/2011 12:44:35 PM >

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Jasper_29)
Post #: 32
RE: RE: - 12/10/2011 2:36:43 PM   
Rgirvan44

The reason they are bad actors is because the film is a propaganda film that the Federation made about the war. 

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 33
RE: RE: - 12/10/2011 2:54:57 PM   
Emyr Thy King

Well there's a certain tongue-in-cheek humour throughout the film and we all know it was meant to satirise U.S foreign policy. The animations for the bugs is outstanding and still stands to this day. There are some oddities: M.I troopers with very little body armour against massive killer bugs and no use of armoured vehicles whatsoever. At least in Heinlein's novel they used a power armour which makes sense. Unfortunately two very shoddy sequels have been made. I think they should just reboot the whole thing. Maybe a closer adaptation of the book can give a fresh take on the story.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 12/10/2011 2:58:31 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 34
RE: RE: - 12/10/2011 2:57:51 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

Well there's a certain tongue-in-cheek humour throughout the film and we all know it was meant to satirise U.S foreign policy.

Funny thing is, at the time it was made, US Foregin policy wasn't nearly as hawkish as it got. ST works as a retrospective satire really well.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 35
RE: RE: - 12/10/2011 3:01:10 PM   
Emyr Thy King

Yes that's true. Perhaps it harkened back to the 80's with Reagan, and perhaps further with Vietnam? I would say even back to the 40's with the demonisation of the Japanese as the 'yellow bastards' or whatever they called them. Wasn't it in part about the loss of innocence in war and of the de-humanisation of others in conflict? You could say in retrospect, that it was coincidental or very perceptive in regards to what's happened since the film was made.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 12/10/2011 3:02:28 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 36
RE: RE: - 12/10/2011 3:06:50 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Yes that's true. Perhaps it harkened back to the 80's with Reagan, and perhaps further with Vietnam? I would say even back to the 40's with the demonisation of the Japanese as the 'yellow bastards' or whatever they called them. Wasn't it in part about the loss of innocence in war and of the de-humanisation of others in conflict? You could say in retrospect, that it was coincidental or very perceptive in regards to what's happened since the film was made.

Well the message Verhoeven had for the film was "War makes facsists of us all". That the film is still relevent says more for how history repeats than any specific conflict. Although its connections to the war of terror are really spooky.

Post #: 37
RE: RE: - 12/10/2011 3:26:00 PM   
Emyr Thy King

It ties in with Nazi Germany type propaganda and fascism, which Verhoeven had some experience with as a child if I recall. "Black Book" explores this part of history too. I think he has a point though.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 38
RE: RE: - 12/10/2011 8:17:29 PM   
Deviation

quote:

Well there's a certain tongue-in-cheek humour throughout the film and we all know it was meant to satirise U.S foreign policy. The animations for the bugs is outstanding and still stands to this day. There are some oddities: M.I troopers with very little body armour against massive killer bugs and no use of armoured vehicles whatsoever.

It does fit with the satiric tone of the film though. Troops being sent without the proper equipment as they underestimated the enemy.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 39
RE: RE: - 13/10/2011 12:35:02 AM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

Well there's a certain tongue-in-cheek humour throughout the film and we all know it was meant to satirise U.S foreign policy. The animations for the bugs is outstanding and still stands to this day. There are some oddities: M.I troopers with very little body armour against massive killer bugs and no use of armoured vehicles whatsoever.

It does fit with the satiric tone of the film though. Troops being sent without the proper equipment as they underestimated the enemy.

When i watched it,i didnt care about any intended satire,nor do i now.
It was/is a cool film without any of that.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 40
RE: RE: - 13/10/2011 12:42:49 AM   
Rgirvan44

But it is a satire. It ain't even the subtext of the movie. It is one of the reasons that the movie is as cool as it is.

One thing I picked up on was the fact that the soliders who didn't make it by and large joined the Mobile Infantry for reasons other than service. I think of the woman who joined to have a baby - she is the first to go, dragged down a big old tunnel - hows that for subtext.

Rico nearly dies, but his story is of a man who grows into becoming a solider. Rico, Carmen and Neil Patrick Harris by the end WANT to be soliders. Even Diz joined not because she wanted to be a solider, but because she wanted Rico.

As I said above, as a propaganda flick it is cheesy but also interesting.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 22/8/2012 10:50:50 PM >

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 41
RE: RE: - 13/10/2011 9:34:50 AM   
thetruth

I take your point,though mine was this is just enjoyable on a superficial level too.
The cgi is better than a lot of current films,and it is fun!
A science fiction satire that works,whod have thought?

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 42
RE: RE: - 13/10/2011 12:39:42 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

Sure, there were also production considerations as well. It would've cost more to implement scenes with the battle armour. If you think about CGI, prosthetics and the rest of it. But it definitely works on that level.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44
I think of the woman who joined to have a baby - she is the first to go, dragged down a big old tunnel - hows that for subtext.

Actually the actress was an opera singer. You can tell in one of the scenes where she sings to distract Rico during his 'Interstellar Skype' chat.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 13/10/2011 12:42:03 PM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 43
RE: RE: - 13/10/2011 1:25:06 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

quote:

Sure, there were also production considerations as well. It would've cost more to implement scenes with the battle armour. If you think about CGI, prosthetics and the rest of it. But it definitely works on that level.

Costs. Isn't that a problem with sufficiently equipping a modern army as well? Starship Troopers is all kinds of unintentional genius!

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth
A science fiction satire that works,whod have thought?

Uhm... Robocop...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

Post #: 44
RE: RE: - 13/10/2011 1:29:48 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44
I think of the woman who joined to have a baby - she is the first to go, dragged down a big old tunnel - hows that for subtext.

Actually the actress was an opera singer. You can tell in one of the scenes where she sings to distract Rico during his 'Interstellar Skype' chat.

Sorry I meant in the context of the film - she wanted a licesnse for a baby. And then dies by being dragged down a hole.

Post #: 45
RE: RE: - 13/10/2011 1:49:11 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

quote:

Costs. Isn't that a problem with sufficiently equipping a modern army as well? Starship Troopers is all kinds of unintentional genius!

Well until the end of the film anyway where they show off all that expensive new kit.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 46
RE: RE: - 13/10/2011 1:55:20 PM   
Rgirvan44

They bring the suits into the third film...which for a low budget flick isn't really that bad at all. 

Post #: 47
RE: RE: - 13/10/2011 3:16:04 PM   
Emyr Thy King

If I recall from one of the games, the Marauders? The special ops basically. Supplemental: Just checked..Marauder is part of the title hah.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 13/10/2011 3:17:19 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 48
RE: RE: - 13/10/2011 4:11:23 PM   
thetruth

Robocop more satirical than ST?Really?
Same director ok,but ST takes the satirical biscuit surely?

Without love we are dead

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 49
RE: RE: - 13/10/2011 4:25:08 PM   
Emyr Thy King

Well if you look closely. OCP is the corporate outfit that pretty much rules everything. They pretty much own the police and they certainly run the entire city, I think they may even have been running the news? It was pretty much a warning shot about growing corporate power and shows what could happen if big business got out of hand. There's also some stuff about the excesses of the media in terms of news reporting. Decline of industry, poverty, gas guzzling cars etc.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 13/10/2011 4:27:21 PM >

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 50
RE: RE: - 13/10/2011 4:50:18 PM   
thetruth

quote:

Well if you look closely. OCP is the corporate outfit that pretty much rules everything. They pretty much own the police and they certainly run the entire city, I think they may even have been running the news? It was pretty much a warning shot about growing corporate power and shows what could happen if big business got out of hand. There's also some stuff about the excesses of the media in terms of news reporting. Decline of industry, poverty, gas guzzling cars etc.

Yeah,but i mean its there,you dont need to look very far for the satire in Robocop.

Without love we are dead

Post #: 51
RE: RE: - 13/10/2011 5:19:29 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

quote:

Yeah,but i mean its there,you dont need to look very far for the satire in Robocop.

Sure, as others have said for "ST" some of it is incidental. But it works and there are quite a few parallels. I like that you have to look into it a bit further to get the satire.

Regarding the asteroid that hit the Earth. Was this an asteroid that the Federation either aimed at the Earth or deliberately allowed to impact the Earth? I can't imagine the bugs being able to open wormholes and fling them over.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 52
RE: RE: - 13/10/2011 5:33:19 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

Robocop more satirical than ST?Really?

Who said it was more satirical? You stated...

'A science fiction satire that works,whod have thought?'

I replied 'Robocop'. As in, 'Troopers is not the only science fiction satire that works'.

Simples.

< Message edited by clownfoot -- 13/10/2011 5:34:00 PM >

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 53
RE: RE: - 13/10/2011 5:55:53 PM   
thetruth

My bad!I wasnt seeking an arguement,i just misread what you meant.
I like them both.

Without love we are dead

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 54
RE: RE: - 22/8/2012 10:53:56 PM   
Rgirvan44

There is a CGI sequel of this coming out in a couple of weeks. For a movie which was seen as a big flop back in the day it certainly just keeps moving along. Must have made a huge amount of cash on home video.

While I am not against a more serious minded remake of the film...I would much prefer them to do it under the hood of the Forever War which is a much more thoughtful version of the ST book.

Post #: 55
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI