Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Recommend an unsung gem

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Recommend an unsung gem Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 19/2/2011 3:48:50 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Living In Oblivion
Steve Buscemi at his manic best

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to Kesker)
Post #: 991
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 9/3/2011 2:28:49 PM   
Al Swearengen

Ong Bak 2 (aka Ong Bak: The Beginning), my reasoning is here:
http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3039343&mpage=1&key=&NID=0#3039482

(in reply to morg1138)
Post #: 992
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 25/3/2011 10:20:44 PM   
MovieAddict247

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to Al Swearengen)
Post #: 993
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 28/3/2011 5:42:14 PM   
Achtung Englander

THE SECRET IN THEIR EYES

Argentian film about a detective investigating a case over 25 years. Su - bloody - perb !

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 994
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 28/3/2011 6:34:33 PM   
harrythefilmfan

Not too sure if this film has been mentioned in here before but one film that I think is often overlooked when one looks back on the many great films that came out during the 70's is Serpico. Al Pacino's performance is fantastic, dare I say his best, and the story itself is compelling. It's something I feel many people can relate to, being right when everyone else is wrong and yet your struggle for the truth to be uncovered is met with nothing but eyes looking the other way and deaf ears.

(in reply to Achtung Englander)
Post #: 995
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 31/3/2011 2:47:37 AM   
threshold

The Producers (2005)
it seriously needs to be shown to all schools.

(in reply to harrythefilmfan)
Post #: 996
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 3/5/2011 6:27:55 PM   
Cribben

"At my signal, unleash hell."

Check out my blog at http://filmscoming2011.wordpress.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/FilmsWatchUk
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_181461265237258&ap=1

Post #: 997
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 25/5/2011 7:25:47 PM   
MovieAddict247

Don't know how unsung these two are, but they are both decent films with great performances.

Boy A: TV film about a young offender (played by Andrew Garfield) who is a child criminal released into society as an adult. Andrew Garfield is fantastic in it.

Matchstick Men: Directed by Ridley Scott, about two con men - Roy (Nicholas Cage), who suffers from OCD and agoraphobia amongst other things, and Frank (Sam Rockwell). I caught it on ITV last year and was quite suprised by it - its not fantastic, but the humour is quite dark and the performances are great.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to Cribben)
Post #: 998
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 1/6/2011 10:33:35 AM   
wakeuptimetodie

Q&A with Nick Nolte acting the scariest bastard on the planet is worth a look. Some good work from Armand Assante too. If the soundtrack wasn't so bad i probably wouldn't have to mention it as an unsung gem.

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 999
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 2/6/2011 1:52:07 AM   
sal613

vinyan. such a creepy film, went in it with an open mind as had never heard anything about it before. beautiful cinematography as well. a real gem!

Post #: 1000
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 2/6/2011 3:42:03 AM   
Gkel

Seconds--late 60s movie about a guy (Rock Hudson)  who gets the chance to become another person by joining a secret organization.

Colossus the Forbin Project: man makes computer that plans takeover of the world.

Rituals: 70s Canadian made movie about 5 doctors who encountered a deformed killer in the woods. Intelligent script, snappy dialogue and great lead performance from Hal Holbrook(also just finally made available in widescreen dvd)

"Eat recycled food. Recycled food is good for the environment and ok for you."

(in reply to sal613)
Post #: 1001
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 2/6/2011 11:37:42 AM   
crazyben66

Hard Candy.

That is all.

"HAHA! It's called internal bleeding f**ker! And then you die!"

"SHUT UP, CRIME!"

(in reply to Gkel)
Post #: 1002
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 22/7/2011 1:11:13 AM   
threshold

The adjustment Bureau,
The Green Mile,
Midnight Run

(in reply to crazyben66)
Post #: 1003
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 22/7/2011 2:23:21 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I'd like to recommend The Collector. I think it's an excellent horror than has been heaped with the Saw style horrors, when in fact it owes more to Panic Room and dare i say it, Home Alone! It's quite graphic though and certainly delivers in the horror department. It's really stylishly made and well acted too, with a great antagonist.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to threshold)
Post #: 1004
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 23/7/2011 11:10:42 AM   
Whistler

It might not quite fit into the completely overlooked category, but "Duel" is a great film. I'm even tempted to say it's Spielberg's best. Gripping, suspenseful, relentless; and it turns a truck into one of the best movie villains of all time.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 1005
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 24/7/2011 8:48:41 PM   
gunstar

Burning Bright

Great thriller with an absolutely bonkers premise, a surprisingly sensitive depiction of someone dealing with an autistic child and...Meatloaf.

Oh, and a tiger as the villain.

< Message edited by gunstar -- 24/7/2011 8:56:34 PM >

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 1006
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 24/7/2011 10:03:28 PM   
horribleives

Divorcing Jack - pitch perfect performance from David Thewlis as hard-drinking Belfast journo Dan Starkey in brilliant adaptation of Colin Bateman's violent, hilarious novel. I know about one other person who's seen it. Anyone on here?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to gunstar)
Post #: 1007
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 25/7/2011 4:12:45 AM   
siegfried

Kiss Of Death - the 1947 version, directed by Henry Hathaway.
One of my favourite noirs, this is a compelling drama about a robber who gives evidence against his partners in crime in order to lessen his prison sentence, and is then stalked by a psychopathic killer out for revenge. A tense, compelling melodrama which, unusually, considering the period in which it was made, contains some explicit violence.
The performances are uniformly excellent, particularly Victor Mature and, in his debut performance, Richard Widmark.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 1008
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 26/7/2011 12:33:25 PM   
iestyn500

The hidden gem that i like is Brother with Takeshi Kitano
i also loved the iron giant one of the best kids films ever made 

Post #: 1009
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 19/11/2011 12:27:49 AM   
gunstar

American Yakuza 2 (Also known as Back to Back). A brilliantly kinetic, low-budget Tarantino clone with great action scenes and a quirky off-beat sense of humour. Highly recommended.

< Message edited by gunstar -- 19/11/2011 12:32:08 AM >

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

(in reply to iestyn500)
Post #: 1010
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 20/11/2011 4:53:31 PM   
garvielloken

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to gunstar)
Post #: 1011
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 21/11/2011 1:36:12 PM   
sharkboy

With Natalie Wood back in the news this week, I was reminded of this little beauty, her last appearance:

Take one part sci-fi, one part conspiracy thriller, one part chase movie and one part existential debate.  Stir them together and you get this delight.  Scientists discover a way to record not only what people see but what emotions they experience at the same time.  Of course, it's not long before it gets put to nefarious uses (including torture and, in one memorable scene, to record orgasms!).  But when it is used to reord the ultimate out-of-body experience, the men in suits start to close in and the chase begins.

And while I'm in a recommending mood, here are another couple:

Lots of people think that Lawrence of Arabia was O'Toole's finest performance.  Wrong!  While old T.E. was a great turn by Mr O'Toole, it was as Alan Swann, the alcoholic star from Hollywood's golden age, that Peter really excelled.  Perhaps it was life imitating art, perhaps he just enjoyed the chance to do comedy, but whatever the reason he turned in the performance of a lifetime, getting a well-deserved Oscar nomination for his trouble.  The movie is based on an episode from Mel Brooks's early career when, as an aspiring writer for The Sid Caesar Show, he was told to chaperone Errol Flynn for the weekend and keep him out of trouble.  A career high for O'Toole and director Richard Benjamin.

I'm gonna champion this one until I've no breath left to do so!  12 Angry Men is often held as the ultimate courtroom drama (and rightly so IMO), but this one comes damnded close.  This was the first half of Stanley Kramer's consecutive courtroom dramas (Judgement at Nuremberg following the next year), and featured one of Spencer Tracey's best performances as Henry Drummond, the humanist lawyer called to the deep south town of Hillsboro to defend the local schoolteacher from the charge of teaching the theory of evolution.  he finds himself going head-to-head against not only the righteous townfolk of Hillsboro, but also his old friend Matthew Brady, a fundamentalist christian and former presidential candidate who comes in guns blazing to defend his faith.  The scenes between the two are abaolutely riveting, and there are also some treats in the supporting cast such as Gene Kelly playing against type as the odious journalist who hires Drummond as defence attorney for the accused.  In this age where "intelligent design" is being taught as a science in some schools, this movie is more relevant than ever!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 1012
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 21/11/2011 9:05:29 PM   
garvielloken

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 1013
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 24/11/2011 10:34:35 AM   
Vitamin F

Probably already been mentioned, but Henry Poole Is Here is an easy watch if you're in the right melancholic state of mind. Luke Wilson makes a great grumpy bloke, and although his character's story arc is hardly original he does create a strangely likeable 'unlikeable Henry' who holds your interest throughout his journey.

It's all quite sentimental and peppered with some light humour and a touch of the Twilight Zones, and as with Mark Pellington's previous films (Arlington Road, Mothman Prophecies) the splendid direction really gives it that extra shine.

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 1014
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 24/11/2011 10:58:25 AM   
UTB

Henry Poole Is Here is a brilliant film, good choice.

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 1015
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 24/11/2011 1:31:37 PM   
Vitamin F

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

Henry Poole Is Here is a brilliant film, good choice.

It's the sort of all too rare sentimental film that never dips too far into 'cheesey' despite the subject matter, because it's handled so well by both star and director I think. I think a lot of people may have been put off by *spoilerish* taking the religious slant too thick *end spoilerish* which sort of misses the emotional point of the film.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 1016
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 29/11/2011 3:29:36 PM   
Keenwash

Attack the block. Just some inner city londers fucking shit up with aliens. Best movie ive seen all year.

Post #: 1017
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 1/12/2011 11:45:43 AM   
Al Swearengen

glad this thread has surfaced again :)

(in reply to Keenwash)
Post #: 1018
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 2/12/2011 4:44:52 PM   
garvielloken

(in reply to Al Swearengen)
Post #: 1019
RE: Recommend an unsung gem: CLASSIC Thriller - 23/7/2012 1:53:56 PM   
Dannybohy

THE SILENT PARTNER

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078269/

complete gem from the 70`s! One the best thrillers ive ever seen, suprised there hasnt been a remake!

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 1020
Page:   <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Recommend an unsung gem Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI