Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Recommend an unsung gem

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Recommend an unsung gem Page: <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 20/7/2010 1:51:15 AM   
Swoz_MK

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

No one I know has heard of this, but its got a great cast, good script - its one of those films which you just enjoy.

Wonderful film, I have a UK quad somewhere.

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 961
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 28/7/2010 12:37:23 AM   
Al Swearengen

Sometimes you stumble across a movie that just completely blows expectations out of the water. This is a much troubled low budget sci-fi movie that apparently has been floating around looking for distribution for years. It's finally been released in America on DVD. Excellent little movie, clever idea and neatly executed. The effects in the movie are as good as any i've seen in a movie of this size and rightfully has won some visual effects awards (the eyeborgs a like a cross between ED-209 and a Transformer). I wouldn't recommend it to everyone because i know most people haven't got time for low budget movies, but if you like sci-fi you will get a kick out of this film. It isn't perfect by any means, but it's well worth tracking down.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 962
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 28/7/2010 12:42:00 AM   
horribleives

I quite fancy that but just one question: Is the Eyeborg thing Cloverfield monster massive or Transformer-sized (or neither)? If it's the former then I'm tracking the fucker down pronto.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Al Swearengen)
Post #: 963
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 28/7/2010 9:16:34 AM   
Sledge Hammer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sad Professor

[

(I think it might've been mentioned before but it's not on the list)
Jack Nicholson is a cop that's just retired but he makes a life pledge to a mother whose daughter has just been kidnapped and murdered to find the killer.

One of my favourite films of all time. I don't think I have been so physically tense at a films climax.

Really wish they would show this on Sky sometime soon.

new sports forum - http://www.606v2.com

Check it out!

(in reply to Sad Professor)
Post #: 964
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 28/7/2010 10:14:28 AM   
filmburner30

Any of Claude Chabrols films they really are good and despite a few dud the old genius is still turning them out

this came out last year in France and it looks very good

Also from Robert Aldrich  a very underated director

"Where are you calling from Milo?"
"The bottom of the pool?"

"Im The Anti Christ.You got me in a Vendetta kind of mood"

"Come back Alan , You Wanker!"

"Your a Doctor,Deal with it"

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 965
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 28/7/2010 10:19:12 AM   
filmburner30

i love this movie its one of Walter Hills best 

"Where are you calling from Milo?"
"The bottom of the pool?"

"Im The Anti Christ.You got me in a Vendetta kind of mood"

"Come back Alan , You Wanker!"

"Your a Doctor,Deal with it"

(in reply to filmburner30)
Post #: 966
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 28/7/2010 10:39:09 AM   
Al Swearengen

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

I quite fancy that but just one question: Is the Eyeborg thing Cloverfield monster massive or Transformer-sized (or neither)? If it's the former then I'm tracking the fucker down pronto.

nah, the one in the actual picture is a tiny little thing about the size of a rabbit, haha. There are bigger ones in the movie which look different, they are human sized.

it's an interesting movie, i recommend it.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 967
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 28/7/2010 12:26:54 PM   
gunstar

Infestation. Don't know if it's been mentioned before but this is a great little low-budget monster flick reminiscent of Tremors and Eight Legged Freaks with a hint of Shaun of the Dead in there for good measure. Highly recommended.

< Message edited by gunstar -- 7/10/2012 2:50:06 PM >

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

Post #: 968
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 28/7/2010 3:28:38 PM   
REALLYMAD

An all star cast including Redford, Kim Basinger, Michael Madsen, Glenn Close, Robert Duvall, Barbara Hershey, Wilfred Brimley...

Originally slated on release by a purist fan contingent of Bernard Malamud's book from which the film is based for ejecting the rough edged subversive beat to the heart of its writing (including the uncompromising finale).

The film version is gently paced with a boys-own-ordinary-hero shimmer, telling the story of a young mid-west farm reared American baseball hopeful in the early 1900s who suffers a major setback before getting his big chance, only to return 16 years later to redeem his love of the game before it's too late, and salvage the life he left behind along the journey.

It never really found an audience in 80s UK, which is a great shame. This was a constant video rental for me. Old fashioned simple storytelling embellished by an ensemble cast with solid performances, the easily discernable goodies and baddies tell a somewhat predictable yarn but do so in a manner more akin to the classic storytelling of movies synonymous with the era from which The Natural is based. Which only adds to the easy beauty of the film in my opinion.

High up in my favourites.

< Message edited by REALLYMAD -- 28/7/2010 3:41:41 PM >

"Hahahaha, you've ticked all the points on the "wounded bunny" checklist tonight!"

#1 wankiest attempted put-down in messageboard history.

(in reply to gunstar)
Post #: 969
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 2/10/2010 6:54:00 PM   
MovieCheech

Alpha Dog
Running Scared
The killer Inside me

Just to name a few

(in reply to REALLYMAD)
Post #: 970
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 2/10/2010 10:55:40 PM   
gunstar

Excellent revenge thriller with a great cast and what is, perhaps, Brian Cox's best performance.

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

(in reply to MovieCheech)
Post #: 971
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 3/10/2010 1:28:34 PM   
kargon

MAN BITES DOG

"I SAY WHAT I LIKE AND I LIKE WHAT I BLOODY WELL SAY".

"WHAT THE FUCK DOES ANYTHING HAVE TO DO WITH VIETNAM?"

"YOU BETTER BE PUTTING AWAY THAT BLADE, OR YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT, EVEN WHILE IT'S HAPPENING"

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 972
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 9/10/2010 10:12:14 PM   
Leonard or Sammy

Having read the first few pages I must agree with "Clue," "Cube" and "Blue Collar." I then skipped to the end and would now like to add these. [If anyone added these in previous pages I did not read, I apologize and congratulate on your good taste:-)]

A Simple Plan
Session 9
Affliction
Manhunter
Sea of Love
Frenzy
Suspiria
Tell No-One
Dead Man's Shoes
The Following

(in reply to kargon)
Post #: 973
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 12/11/2010 11:47:52 PM   
Al Swearengen

I think it's generally seen as a good movie and it was a commercial success. I just feel that in recent years with Shyamalan's diminishing credibility this movie has been harmed by time. I watched it again recently and it's probably one of the creepiest movies of recent years. Tense, well acted and surprisingly humorous, it's a great alien movie with some pretty deep themes that I hope people will still visit and enjoy.

Oh, and Shyamalan's acting is pretty good!

(in reply to Achtung Englander)
Post #: 974
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 13/11/2010 12:55:05 AM   
hawksoob

Bill Forsyth's "Local Hero."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085859/

< Message edited by hawksoob -- 13/11/2010 1:00:49 AM >

"90% of everything is crap."

Post #: 975
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 14/11/2010 5:18:54 AM   
sal613

inside im dancing:

thought it was brillaint, really top performances

Post #: 976
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 14/11/2010 8:21:27 PM   
Le Tenia

A great wee Canadian movie from about 20 years ago called I Love A Man In Uniform.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107179/

" It's the age-old irony of the liberal left, they practice oppression and call it equality. "

(in reply to sal613)
Post #: 977
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 14/11/2010 9:47:03 PM   
Con Broccolli

Glengarry Glen Ross - Out of this world performances for the entire cast and an incredible script. It can be watched over and over and over again. Believe me I know!

"I was building a house. I don't deserve this!"
"Deserves got nuthin to do with it"

(in reply to Le Tenia)
Post #: 978
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 21/12/2010 12:23:07 PM   
Al Swearengen

Glengarry is underrated as far as the general public goes, i've asked loads of people if they like it, 100% of the time it's met with  blank stare.

Post #: 979
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 21/12/2010 10:54:22 PM   
Sugarman Treacle

I agree, Glengarry Glen Ross is a perfect film in many ways. But what a cast, the performances are top notch.

I'm turning turning turning turning turning around, and all that I can see is just a yellow lemmon-tree...

Post #: 980
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 1/2/2011 3:57:59 AM   
Sad Professor

The October 2002 of Empire had a feature called "Raiders of the Lost Archives". It was a list of lost classics/unsung gems, that sorta thing.

Here's the list:

1. The Band Wagon
2.Baby It's You
3. Beautiful Girls
4.The Bitter Tea of General Yen
5.Dean Man
6.Build my Gallows of High AKA, Out of the Past
7. Bullet in the Head
8.Breaking Away
9. The Changeling
10. The China Syndrome
11.Cube
12.Fun with Dick and Jane
13.Internal Affairs
14.Ikuru
15.The Killing of a Chinese Bookie
16.Martin
17.Matthew Hopkins, Witchfinder General
18.Meet the Feebles
19.Q:The Winged Serpent
20.Targets
21.Seconds
22.The Taking of Pelham 123
23.Static
24.Subway
25.Tucker: The Man and His Dream
26.To Live and Die in L.A.
27.Under Fire
28.The Vikings
29.Unman, Wittering and Zigo
30. What's up Doc?

(in reply to Sugarman Treacle)
Post #: 981
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 1/2/2011 4:50:51 AM   
Sad Professor

I don't know if people here would remember this or not as I am getting to an age where I'm looking back at issues of empire from a few years ago and remember stuff that you don't see mentioned much these days but here:

I recall Empire's writers liking this one. It got 4stars on the DVD  review I think.

Copy paste:
Plot
Toxic waste creates giant spiders in Arizona. People are attacked, cobweb-cocooned, liquidised and eaten. Prodigal son Chris McCormack and Sheriff Sam Parker, advised by the latter's spider-obsessed brat, rally survivors. And so the townsfolk fight back guns, chainsaws, perfume, methane, a mobile phone and raw courage.

Verdict
If you only see one mutated spider movie this summer, you’ll be missing a treat. Having learnt to respect Peter Parker’s inner arachnid, check out Freaks and get ready to squash the little buggers.

Reviewer: Kim Newman

Here

Here's another I remember from that time that was quite good I thought that might have been forgotten by some:

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?DVDID=9098

The long and the short of it is that Affleck and Jackson play characters from very different back grounds and when they crash into each other it sparks a feud that is played out in a decent thriller/drama style genre piece. Real good if it's on the telly and worth picking up on DVD if you happen across it.

The Good Thief

This ain't a fantastic film handled marvelously by a premiere director but Nolte's performance is well worth a watch. It's along a similar vein to movies with heists that seemed to be semi-popular back then - Welcome to Collingwood, Heist, The Score and of course Ocean's Eleven though the latter may have kicked off the trend.

It's a remake of a 50's French film I never saw but as I say, Nolte plays an old washed up grizzled jewel thief who has just kicked heroin and is up for one last job (surprise surprise!).

Back around this time there were a lot of performances like this - old grizzled men playing old grizzled men in a washed up situation. Dennis Quaid in The Rookie, Ray Liotta in Narc and Kurt Russel in Dark Blue also spring to mind. Tarrantino of course made a niche for himself in the 90s doing this but in the early 2000s no one director really took it on but these aul guys put in some good performances I thought. Later these former stars were back vogue when stuff like Sin City came along.

EMPIRE were whistling many songs about this film back when but I just thought I'd stick it up here in case anyone's forgotten about it or hasn't seen it. A small Argentinian film made with money either won in a lotto or from some sort of arts fund, can't remember. It's a movie about two conmen and it's really cool and fun. DVD made it possible for many people to see these kinda films whereas back in the pre-DVD days you'd have to go to an arthouse or pay loadsa money for a VHS.

Another one Empire were raving mad about and perhaps some mightn't have seen or aren't aware of. A Spanish film in which luck can be traded and gambled. Kinda one of those enigmatic sorta pictures.

A bit of a brain fuck from Darren Aronofsky. A sort of paranoid post-modern thriller of a man who thinks he's cracked some secret mathematical code. I've not seen it in years but I remember the black and white picture being so stark. I'm not sure you could get an image like that today on a film like this. Worth a watch anyways.

Probably my favourite Irish film. Many people say I Went Down or Commitments or My Left Foot but I really really enjoyed this.

It was a tough time for westerns before and after Clint's Unforgiven. Before it the western had lost it's guttural sense of veracity and many were fed of the same theme being rehashed. After it no film could possible follow! There were some absurdities like Bad Girls and some curios like Quick and the Dead.

Tombstone came out in the same year as Wyatt Earp though they both originated from the same script - Costner got his hands on Tombstone and wanted the story to be all about Earp. Eventually Kev got his own way and his own inferior movie and Kurt Russel took on the title role and role of Ghost Director to make what I think was a really good western. It might not have that same draw that Unforgiven had and it might look a bit cheap in places and definitely cliched but considering this was the decade that gave us Paul Hogan as Lightning Jack Tombstone I think stands out as one of the best westerns after Unforgiven.

Costner got his own back in 2003 with Open Range which itself was both a really good film and a miracle of sorts since this was the same man behind The Postman!

And a few others that may or may not  have already  been mentioned:

Post #: 982
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 1/2/2011 2:06:11 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Le Tenia

A great wee Canadian movie from about 20 years ago called I Love A Man In Uniform.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107179/

A fantastic film, I've been thinking about replacing my VHS copy of late, McCamus (Sarah Polley's father in The Sweet Hereafter) is superb.

Yes, always.

(in reply to Le Tenia)
Post #: 983
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 1/2/2011 2:25:21 PM   
Wild about Wilder

The Sure Thing
Teen comedy starring John Cusack & Daphnee Zuniga? with a hilarious scene stealing performance by Tim Robbins.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 984
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 1/2/2011 4:44:02 PM   
DanielFullard

Tape satrring Uma Thurman is an enjoyable little movie. Set up like a stage play with it being mainly based in one room, its one of her finest and most forgotten roles and really gripped me

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 985
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 1/2/2011 6:16:45 PM   
AngryDude92

An un-deniable masterpiece!

There was once a god who walked the earth, his name was Warren Oates

(in reply to DanielFullard)
Post #: 986
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 2/2/2011 12:35:20 PM   
Chief

Harvey Keitel in Smoke.

Kevin Spacey in Shrink.

Not sure how popular these are but I liked them both.

Post #: 987
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 15/2/2011 3:25:23 PM   
Al Swearengen

loved this, and love the story it was based on.

Post #: 988
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 15/2/2011 4:01:28 PM   
lukeyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Al Swearengen

Glengarry is underrated as far as the general public goes, i've asked loads of people if they like it, 100% of the time it's met with blank stare.

Great cast and performances - especially from Pacino, Alec Baldwin, Ed Harris, Kevin Spacey and....well, all the cast really, but salesmen? Really? I mean - what a totally fucking boring premise for a film if ever there was one!! That's probably the reason it's met with a blank stare half the time - you try selling the film to someone without mentioning the cast. It's nigh on impossible!

I've watched Glengarry Glen Ross once maybe inadvertantly twice and like i say i was very impressed with the acting - but that's where it stopped. And I won't be watching it again out of choice.

I do like Alec Balwin's line "whats my name? Fuck you - that's my name!" though!!

I feel like i'm Han Solo, your Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi - and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!!

Post #: 989
RE: Recommend an unsung gem - 16/2/2011 4:05:56 PM   
Kesker

I'm sure its been mentioned before but "The Fall" is a film I cannot reccommend highly enough. Its set in the 1930's and reveloves around a young girl in hospital with a broken arm who strikes up a friendship with a paraplaegic man, who starts telling her a fantastic story in order for her to get him pain pills. Not only is the story completely absorbing but the visuals are to die for. They went to 26 different countries to film and maybe used a grand total of 5 cgi shots, which considering the nature of the plot, is pretty impressive.

Another film I have a fondness for is "Heart and Souls", one of Robert Downey Jrs lesser known works. Its a wonderfully sweet story about 5 ghosts who become attached to a baby, but as he grows up he's the only one who can see them. The ghosts then decide to make themselves invisible to him so he can have a normal life, but later as a grown man (Downey) the ghosts come up against a deadline and have to rope him back in to help. Its funny with some fantastic performances and a really nice original take on the ghost story.

"This is hardly the time to be conjugating temporal verbs in the past and possible never tense."

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 990
Page:   <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Recommend an unsung gem Page: <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI