S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films

Deviation -> S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S (4/11/2006 2:10:49 PM)

[image]http://stockimg.free.fr/wallpaperlinks/divx/cinema/sstroopers.jpg[/image]

One of my most favourite films of all time, seen it yesterday night and still love it.

evil bill -> RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S (4/11/2006 2:29:07 PM)

Yeah one great fun filled action packed SCI/FI movie,all you could ask for sex and volence from Paul Verhoeven one great director of sci/fi.TOTAL RECALL and ROBOCOP where also great fun,it's a shame he has'nt turned out a few more sci fi movies the last being HOLLOWMAN.But you never know with paul whats next for his own brand of treatment.Starship Troopers was so over the top but visualy stunning in every way.GREAT MOVIE GREAT FUN!!!!!![:D]

Tech_Noir -> RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S (4/11/2006 2:52:56 PM)

[image]http://www.segovesus.net/film/dina/dina_ples_sm.jpg[/image]

[:)]

jonson -> RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S (4/11/2006 3:18:31 PM)

Great film, I remember taking the wife to see this at the cinema not really knowing a great deal about the movie.
One of the better CGI films IMO, a great amount of gore, Michael Ironside in top form, Jake Busey's hair, Denise Richards and Casper Van Dien in ultra-cheesey mode.
Verhoeven's subtle take on Nazism is also fun, I especially like the Gestapo uniforms of the top scientist dude (can't thinkof his name)
I'm doing my part! [:D]

Deviation -> RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S (4/11/2006 3:35:44 PM)

Speaking of which, can somebody please explain me the politics in this film?

I love this film but never got the politics.

Tech_Noir -> RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S (4/11/2006 4:39:05 PM)

According to Ed Numier (the writer) the intention was to show a futuristic fascist society, including both the posititve (no crime, etc.) and negative (no choice) and letting the audience decide whether it's a world they'd want to live in.

Magenta -> RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S (4/11/2006 4:57:47 PM)

Certainly one of my fav films  always a treat to watch great action and fab dialogue .

"Johnny Rico: I'm from Buenos Aires, and I say kill 'em all!"
Johnny Rico: Come on you apes, you wanna live forever?

[:D]

Oh and this guy

[image]http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/9760/49aw9.jpg[/image]

[:)]

bozo -> RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S (4/11/2006 8:23:51 PM)

And I can't believe some people took it seriously.[sm=52.gif]
Amazing fun.
Fave line : You're just one big fat smart bug, aren't ya?
[sm=happy07.gif]

Dirty Hartigan -> RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S (4/11/2006 9:32:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Verhoeven's subtle take on Nazism is also fun, I especially like the Gestapo uniforms of the top scientist dude (can't thinkof his name)

Neil Patrick Harris (aka Doogie Howser!) was the actor.

I enjoyed the film, but thought the satirization of the book's right-wing themes a little too obvious. Surprisingly, the film most directly influenced by the novel is a more faithful adaptatation than this official version.

Cuchulainn -> RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S (4/11/2006 11:17:28 PM)

[image]http://revistes.upc.es/~ekiza23/WEB/starshiptroopers/denise02.jpg[/image]
Just one of the many reasons why I love this movie...

Peter A. Quinn -> RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S (5/11/2006 1:17:34 AM)

It's a much smarter film than it gets credit for - no one writes ultra-violent Sci-Fi satire like Ed Neumeier, and I guess the film's politics boil down to who are the real Fascists? The scary, insectoid aliens, or us for trying to wipe them all out without negotiation? It was easy to forgive Verhoeven for Showgirls after this...[:)]

Dirty Hartigan -> RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S (5/11/2006 12:14:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter A. Quinn

It's a much smarter film than it gets credit for - no one writes ultra-violent Sci-Fi satire like Ed Neumeier, and I guess the film's politics boil down to who are the real Fascists? The scary, insectoid aliens, or us for trying to wipe them all out without negotiation? It was easy to forgive Verhoeven for Showgirls after this...[:)]

The Bugs are meant to be Communists though. And it's implied that we started the war ourselves. I guess what the film is trying to debate is whether or not society should surrender its values and freedoms to a totalitarian goverment when its survival is challenged by war. Or it could be about a bunch of grunts hunting a Brain Bug on Planet P.

Peter A. Quinn -> RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S (5/11/2006 12:19:15 PM)

Yep, that's a good point, DH. You can read politics into it if you want ( which I do), or just enjoy an all-out guns'n'blood fest (which I'm also quite partial to). That's what I love about this film - something for everyone! [:)]

Deviation -> RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S (5/11/2006 1:03:14 PM)

"they sucked his brains out."

[:D]Greatest line ever.

kumar -> RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S (5/11/2006 5:45:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

"they sucked his brains out."

[:D]Greatest line ever.

it must have taken so many takes to get that line right. cracks me up!

Kazuya -> RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S (5/11/2006 9:18:09 PM)

I think Starship Troopers is amazing. It featured high on my top ten Verhoeven films list,a misunderstood satirical sci-fi extravaganza. The film has almost nothing in common with the source material,Robert Heinleinīs novel,it actually does one better. Verhoeven himself believed that this movie,like one of his former smash-hits,Robocop,should be viewed as an extremely black,violent comedy. Robocop should be viewed as portraying the flawed,capitalist,in-human society that existed in the States at the time and the film in question,Starship Troopers,is very clearly a satire on fascist society. This was something Verhoeven was not a stranger to,he grew up in Holland in the 40īs. Everything in this wonderful film screams irony and satire,the audience thinking this was a stupid film must surely have been to addle-brained to realize what was going on(much like Last Action Hero).
Anyway,thereīs so much to love in this. Gargantuan cutting-edge effects(courtesy of Verhoeven accomplice Phil Tippet),fantastic production design and limb-shredding violence. I love it. Verhoeven is a genius.

[image]http://media.movieweb.com/galleries/826/534/lo/co1.jpg[/image]

The sequence where our hero drops the Tank-Bug with a grenade is insane.

[image]http://media.movieweb.com/galleries/826/534/lo/co8.jpg[/image]

We be fucked.

Zaphod121 -> RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S (5/11/2006 9:27:31 PM)

fuckin love it
[image]http://www.wwlp.com/news/segments/sybersy/starship.jpg[/image]
[image]http://ca.geocities.com/arnabisthebest/tv/starshiptroopers.jpg[/image]

bub -> RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S (5/11/2006 11:33:34 PM)

[image]http://www.highlightzone.de/dvd/dvd_bilder/starship_troopers_2.jpg[/image]

The sequels great to, it has zombies.

[sm=augen14.gif]

No really its got zombies in... Its great [sm=augen14.gif]

bozo -> RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S (5/11/2006 11:38:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kazuya
Everything in this wonderful film screams irony and satire,the audience thinking this was a stupid film must surely have been to addle-brained to realize what was going on(much like Last Action Hero).

What about Last Action Hero? When I saw it (one age ago or was it two) I thought it was dumb fun. Have I missed something? 

Kazuya -> RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S (6/11/2006 1:35:03 AM)

What about Last Action Hero? When I saw it (one age ago or was it two) I thought it was dumb fun. Have I missed something? 
[/quote]

I would say you have. The intention of Last Action Hero,as McTiernan has often stated,was to poke fun at the very genre it was masquerading as,the big,dumb,loud action movie. The tacky,stretchy one-liners in it are clearly ironic and the film itself is peppered with clever in-jokes and (intentionally) tasteless cameos. Sadly,like another one of my personal favorites,Hudson Hawk,it was misunderstood and trashed by critics as being too smug,when in fact itīs imaginative.

MOTH -> RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S (6/11/2006 9:31:18 AM)

Definitely more than just a blood'n'guts alien shoot 'em up - there's a genuinely witty, satirical mind at work here.
Having said that, the bit where the cow gets attacked by a bug is great fun - sometimes all the satire and black comedy in the world is no substitute for a good old fashioned bovine massacre. 

WilliamMunny -> RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S (6/11/2006 9:31:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bub

[image]http://www.highlightzone.de/dvd/dvd_bilder/starship_troopers_2.jpg[/image]

[sm=augen14.gif]

No really its got zombies in... Its a great big pile of badly acted poop [sm=augen14.gif]

Fixed it for you[;)]

I saw this a few weeks ago and its amazing just how well the special effects have held up. Plus it has Denise Richards in it[sm=433.gif][sm=433.gif]

bozo -> RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S (6/11/2006 11:36:12 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kazuya

I would say you have. The intention of Last Action Hero,as McTiernan has often stated,was to poke fun at the very genre it was masquerading as,the big,dumb,loud action movie. The tacky,stretchy one-liners in it are clearly ironic and the film itself is peppered with clever in-jokes and (intentionally) tasteless cameos. Sadly,like another one of my personal favorites,Hudson Hawk,it was misunderstood and trashed by critics as being too smug,when in fact itīs imaginative.

OK, you've convinced me, I'll see it again.

unhingedmoviepigeon -> RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S (6/11/2006 12:51:35 PM)

A great big, fun emotional sci fi romp with enough explosions and guns to turn a friday night into a popcorn feast! Saw this when it first came out on VHS wasn't old enough to see it @ the cinema which is a regret because it would have been great on the big screen!

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S (6/11/2006 2:47:33 PM)

I read the book Starship Troopers by Robert A Heinlein and it's very different and much more serious than the film which is a tongue in cheek job. In the book there are I think three alien races, at least one of which are on our side. It's very right wing and pro-military and this is touched on in the movie where only people who have served can become citizens and thus move onto the higher levels of this future society.

Starship Troopers cemented Verhoeven's place a great sci-fi director - with Robocop and Total Recall he has made a trio of great movies.

Tech_Noir -> RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S (6/11/2006 5:28:58 PM)

I saw Starship Troopers twice on the big screen and I was only 15 at the time!

I'm sure the rating was 15 when it initially came out but everywhere I see it now it's 18.

BigKovacs -> RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S (6/11/2006 6:45:01 PM)

Has anyone seen the cracking animated series called Roughnecks. It's for kids but storywise its closer to the book (apparantly) but it doesnt contain all the politics.

krudler -> RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S (7/11/2006 12:22:06 AM)

fucking love this movie i wont hear a bad wrd said about it,so much over the top violence you never see any more in movies,and it has some of he best cgi ever

"cmon you apes you wanna live forever!!!!!!!!!"

zombiemaster -> RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S (7/11/2006 5:59:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bub

[sm=augen14.gif]

No really its got zombies in... Its great [sm=augen14.gif]

The second sucks

Dirty Hartigan -> RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S (8/11/2006 12:21:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

I saw Starship Troopers twice on the big screen and I was only 15 at the time!

I'm sure the rating was 15 when it initially came out but everywhere I see it now it's 18.

Yeah, you're quite right Tech, it was upped back to 18 for video and DVD when the BBFC realised they'd messed up.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI