RE: Chelsea Thread (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand

impqueen -> RE: Chelsea Thread (2/1/2013 9:42:19 PM)

A hugely frustrating game and massively disappointing result, one of the lesser matches I’ve seen us play this season. No doubt the Benitez hatemob out folks will jump on it like ravenous locust, ignoring our previous couple of results. [8|]

Still, bugger. [:(] [:D]

directorscut -> RE: Chelsea Thread (2/1/2013 10:11:10 PM)

Typical Benitez. He rotates for a game they should win and invariably ends up drawing or losing. This was part of his downfall at Liverpool.

impqueen -> RE: Chelsea Thread (2/1/2013 11:19:05 PM)

I don't think his dropping of Cole, Hazard and Mata helped at all but it was a lacklustre performance by all really. It wasn’t helped by OPR defending well for the first time in a long while.

Saltire -> RE: Chelsea Thread (2/1/2013 11:50:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Typical Benitez. He rotates for a game they should win and invariably ends up drawing or losing. This was part of his downfall at Liverpool.

Tbf though at home against the (supposed) worst team in the division you should be rotating. Fergie does it a lot against the smaller clubs and gets it wrong occasionally too. Chelsea should still have more than enough to beat QPR even with their second string - after all, they are supposed to be 'European Champions' after all. [;)]

directorscut -> RE: Chelsea Thread (3/1/2013 12:16:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

quote:

Tbf though at home against the (supposed) worst team in the division you should be rotating. Fergie does it a lot against the smaller clubs and gets it wrong occasionally too. Chelsea should still have more than enough to beat QPR even with their second string - after all, they are supposed to be 'European Champions' after all. [;)]

I'm of the philosophy that you should always start your first eleven, go three up, then sub those who need a rest.

Saltire -> RE: Chelsea Thread (3/1/2013 12:40:27 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

quote:

I'm of the philosophy that you should always start your first eleven, go three up, then sub those who need a rest.

I wouldn't disagree with that personally but I can also see the point of rotation; he got it wrong tonight, but no manager is perfect.

Sinatra -> RE: Chelsea Thread (3/1/2013 10:57:18 AM)

Fucking Benitez...

Skiba -> RE: Chelsea Thread (3/1/2013 11:37:06 AM)

Rotation is necessary over Xmas but he just got it a bit wrong last night. Leaving Mata, Hazard, Cole and Ramires out pretty much does Harry's team-talk for him. Lampard playing two games in close succession probably isn't a good idea, but if he leaves him out after winning the game against Everton, then he'd be getting stick for that. No win there really.

I only listened to it on the radio but it sounded like there was not width and the tempo was far too slow. The players he left out are all key to doing this.

impqueen -> RE: Chelsea Thread (4/1/2013 2:26:12 PM)

So we have signed Ba and he can start tomorrow. Given our somewhat less than great form with strikers (either loaned out, not good enough or under too much pressure) with Drogba and Anelka (eventually) being some exceptional exceptions I hope he can perform.

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: Chelsea Thread (4/1/2013 3:54:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

So we have signed Ba and he can start tomorrow. Given our somewhat less than great form with strikers (either loaned out, not good enough or under too much pressure) with Drogba and Anelka (eventually) being some exceptional exceptions I hope he can perform.

Yeah its an odd one, with Romelu Lukaku presumably coming back to for a squad role next season and the oft rumored move for Falcao in the summer. Obviously the Falcao deal is a long way off and might not happen, but I don't see Ba as top quality and only cover for the main striker. With Lukaku coming back to fill that role, why pick up Ba?

impqueen -> RE: Chelsea Thread (5/1/2013 2:42:16 PM)

Soooo in our defence of the FA Cup, shiny new signing Ba starts up front with Torres and Lampard on the bench, CAPTAIN Ashley Cole, Hazard and Mata back in the starting line-up.

Professor Moriarty -> RE: Chelsea Thread (5/1/2013 5:24:43 PM)

Put up more of a fight defending this than the European trophy then [;)]

Brace from Ba on his debut. I expect he's cup-tied for the midweek game, but I'd fancy him over Torres for the away game against Stoke next weekend.

impqueen -> RE: Chelsea Thread (5/1/2013 5:28:33 PM)

A good win and a nice couple of goals for Ba and I understand Turnbull made a save. [:D]

It will be interesting to see if Ba and Torres get to play in the same game, we've got Swansea on Wednesday.

Professor Moriarty -> RE: Chelsea Thread (5/1/2013 5:34:54 PM)

quote:

A good win and a nice couple of goals for Ba and I understand Turnbull made a save. [:D]

It will be interesting to see if Ba and Torres get to play in the same game, we've got Swansea on Wednesday.

I was expecting that Ba would be cup tied for that though.

I see no reason why both Torres and Ba can't play for Chelsea. I think you may find that now Ba is in a big pond he'll put away some of his insistence that he play through the middle. But I think it is much more likely that there will be a rotation between Ba and Torres, such that they don't start so often.

Bob made an interesting observation above that Ba is a funny option if Lukaku comes back and Chelsea go in for Falcao. Firstly, I'm not at all sure that Chelsea will get Falcao, but I do expect them to bring in a big name striker in the summer. I also don't think that its impossible if they do to imagine Torres being moved on. And I do think that Chelsea can cope with 3 strikers, a clear World class player, a solid reliable one and a young up and comer.

impqueen -> RE: Chelsea Thread (5/1/2013 5:46:25 PM)

I’ve no idea if Ba is cup tied or not though he probably is, which gives Torres the opportunity to remind fickle fans what he had been doing before the Christmas run.

I would like to see how they play off each other but I think in the end rotation will be the answer; hopefully they can live with that. I don’t believe we will be purchasing anyone with a massive name in the summer unless Torres and Ba both have a rubbish second half of the season. I think we will only go for Falcao this summer if another club shows interest and to be honest I don’t see right now why he’d want to come and play for us.

I hope that Lukaku gets some sort of go with us, I mean we paid 18 million for the lad and he has so much potential, maybe next season it’ll be Ba/Lukaku upfront Torres having moved on.

Professor Moriarty -> RE: Chelsea Thread (5/1/2013 5:53:13 PM)

Yes, I too hope that Lukaku gets his chance. I've enjoyed watching him play for WBA this season and could be a really, really exciting player in a couple of year's time.

What I can't get is Chelsea's policies and plans. I mean they change more often than the manager. There was a time that was buy in proven talent. Then they went to youth and developing their own talent. And emerging talent. And now they buy Ba. He's a good purchase at the price if he stays fit and his head is in the right place. But it just makes me scratch my head and wonder if there is any plan at Chelsea or if its just make it up as you go. And I have to add, that I think too much can be made of plans, sometimes you have to just respond to what is on offer. But I really don't get how they'd budge on this policy and then not want to offer Ashley a couple of seasons more, or even keep Frank on for one more (who's scored again and I think can still do a job if he's happy to be rotated).

Just an odd club some days that makes odd decisions, imo.

horribleives -> RE: Chelsea Thread (5/1/2013 7:48:44 PM)

Ba never played in our one League Cup game so he shouldn't be cup-tied. He's featured in the Europa League though.

Skiba -> RE: Chelsea Thread (6/1/2013 1:18:52 PM)

A mate was there yesterday and said Ba's movement was excellent and his all-round play was really good. A proper striker playing in front Mata, Hazard, Oscar etc should have 15+ goals easily. Early days of course but I think Ba could score a bundle.

Professor Moriarty -> RE: Chelsea Thread (6/1/2013 2:23:19 PM)

In fairness, Chelsea's problems this season have not looked like an issue with scoring goals.

To me, their main issue remains workrate. I think they are weak against teams who can pass the ball well. Atletico, Shakhtar, Swansea and WBA have all taken points off them in this manner. At the other end, teams that hustle hard they also have problems with. West Ham, QPR and Corinthians spring to mind.

We know that Chelsea can absolutely steamroller teams, we've seen this with Villa, Nordsjaelland and Southampton. But its not much point being a flat track bully. Sure they will win some games by 4 or 5 goals. But they have to not lose other games or draw them, particularly when the opposition is up for a fight and Chelsea are having a meh day.

I'm not saying that Ba isn't a good signing, or that he wont score goals, or having him as plan B will get them more points. But I'm not convinced that what is "broken" at Chelsea isn't fixed. I will contend that signing Mikel for another 5 years is one of the worst signings this season imo.

Skiba -> RE: Chelsea Thread (6/1/2013 3:33:05 PM)

You're right, goals haven't been the problem but it would be interesting to see how many someone other than Torres would've got playing in front of those players.

And the Mikel deal was a joke...

Olaf -> RE: Chelsea Thread (6/1/2013 3:40:24 PM)

I was about to agree with Prof, until I remembered United are winning the league at a canter with a non-existent midfield and ROBIN VAN PERSIE. with the quality of defending in the league as low as it is this season, having someone who is capable of scoring in every game is enough to get something from almost every match, and I think Ba will provide that for Chelsea.

Skiba -> RE: Chelsea Thread (9/1/2013 8:30:51 PM)

That's quite incredible! completely dominating and then Ivanovic does that...and he was having a great game. michu is class

As is Luiz who has been running the game...since his arrival everyone has said he should be playing in midfield, so fairplay to Rafa for being the one who's done it. Expect us to get back in it 2nd half

Skiba -> RE: Chelsea Thread (9/1/2013 8:52:21 PM)

Oh Torres...

5yds Offside there when he shouldn't be...he must surely see the line there?!

Skiba -> RE: Chelsea Thread (9/1/2013 9:35:44 PM)

Ha! another shocker from Ivanovic! Wasn't a pen for Ba but not a booking either

and fairplay to Swansea...they played in a way I've not seen the do before. Laudrup is obviously a good manager

directorscut -> RE: Chelsea Thread (9/1/2013 9:45:32 PM)

I hope Swansea go on to win the cup. They deserve it for the way they run their club and the quality of their play and footballing philosophy.

Sadly Bradford will probably win it playing ten men behind the ball and scoring a jammy setpiece.

Nexus Wookie -> RE: Chelsea Thread (9/1/2013 10:01:43 PM)

quote:

I hope Swansea go on to win the cup. They deserve it for the way they run their club and the quality of their play and footballing philosophy.

Sadly Bradford will probably win it playing ten men behind the ball and scoring a jammy setpiece.

I too hope Swansea go on to win it. But i think the tie might have a few surprises yet, ie Chelsea suddenly switching on. But maybe by then it'll be too little too late.

Goodfella -> RE: Chelsea Thread (9/1/2013 10:05:44 PM)

What diving school did Ba go to?

He should ask for his money back![:D]

impqueen -> RE: Chelsea Thread (9/1/2013 10:16:59 PM)

Disappointed with the result though not massively surprised, still second leg to go…that first goal…[sm=34.gif]

The booing of Torres was fucking stupid and Swansea are a class side all round in my view and though he has good players around him Michu is a brilliant finisher and a top top signing by Laudrup*.

It'll be interesting to see who starts up front for us Saturday away…

*Captain Obvious

Skiba -> RE: Chelsea Thread (9/1/2013 10:48:41 PM)

quote:

Disappointed with the result though not massively surprised, still second leg to go…that first goal…[sm=34.gif]

The booing of Torres was fucking stupid and Swansea are a class side all round in my view and though he has good players around him Michu is a brilliant finisher and a top top signing by Laudrup*.

*Captain Obvious

Ba did more in the little time he was on than Torres did in his 80mins*

*Captain Obvious' sidekick Major Glaring

impqueen -> RE: Chelsea Thread (9/1/2013 10:57:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

quote:

*Captain Obvious

Ba did more in the little time he was on than Torres did in his 80mins*

*Captain Obvious' sidekick Major Glaring

He was certainly a lot more active, I was disappointed tonight that Torres didn't do more considering Ba's good debut. [image]http://th228.photobucket.com/albums/ee12/sholesshs/Smileys/th_sigh.gif[/image]

[:D]

Page: <<   < prev  196 197 [198] 199 200   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI