American Psycho Ending (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base

buddyholly -> American Psycho Ending (1/10/2006 1:26:29 PM)

Forgive me if its a stupid question but what the hell is the ending to American Psycho about? Is he just lost in insanity in that point or what? Did he really commit all those murders and tortures or was it just all in his head? Please help!

Boring Prophet -> RE: American Psycho Ending (1/10/2006 2:58:33 PM)

I think that he did. He didn't though, according to the author.

nomimalone -> RE: American Psycho Ending (1/10/2006 3:28:55 PM)

Yeah, the ending is left open for you to decide. I think it was all or mostly in his head.

JIm R -> RE: American Psycho Ending (1/10/2006 4:10:51 PM)

I believe from reading the book and seeing the film, it's a double bluff...

The ending is there to indicate he didn't publically commit them, only in his mind he was that person but then actually did commit them in reality as well.

Indio -> RE: American Psycho Ending (1/10/2006 11:26:47 PM)

I thought the films ending was different to that of the book, in the book no one wanted to listen to him when he confessed to what he had done, while in the film it was made out that everything had been in his mind.

Dr Geek -> RE: American Psycho Ending (2/10/2006 2:01:41 PM)

Personally I think he did commit them in both book and film!

I think that although its left open, the point is there that even if he had commited the murders everyone that surrounded him at that moment didn't care, they were far interested in their own worlds to worry about Pat Bateman! He's left alone, broken and confused!

Doctor Manhattan -> RE: American Psycho Ending (2/10/2006 4:10:47 PM)

I found it a rather satisfying ending myself, quite enigmatic, especially for those who havnt read the book or taken out further research on it.

Sutty -> RE: American Psycho Ending (3/10/2006 4:14:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

I believe from reading the book and seeing the film, it's a double bluff...

The ending is there to indicate he didn't publically commit them, only in his mind he was that person but then actually did commit them in reality as well.

so when he killed, was he Bateman or Paul Allen? cause towrds the end, they all call him Paul. Do you think he made up the patrick part of the movie up and he was really paul, and the first two thirds of the movie is kinda in his head?

Boring Prophet -> RE: American Psycho Ending (3/10/2006 6:59:12 PM)

No, he was being mistaken for Paul Allen because no one could be bothered to find out otherwise. I think. [>:]

BigKovacs -> RE: American Psycho Ending (13/10/2006 11:03:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Boring Prophet

No, he was being mistaken for Paul Allen because no one could be bothered to find out otherwise. I think. [>:]

Thats what I thought, everyone looks the same so people are often mistaken for each other, its really common in the book.

kingalan -> RE: American Psycho Ending (21/10/2006 2:58:39 PM)

He wasn't supposed to have committed any of the murders. He lives in his own narcissistic, self-made bubble and his power over other people was what got him excited. The power which his job and status brings is not enough anymore and so he has created this fantasy in which he can torture and murder his colleagues and strangers basically to inflate his own ego and sense of power. That's why the murders become increasingly more ludicrous as the film (and book) progresses eg dropping the chainsaw down the flight of stairs. He's so swamped by his own sense of status and superiority that his mind is fucked to the point of this fantasy.

BigKovacs -> RE: American Psycho Ending (3/11/2006 2:29:37 AM)

Or he does commit them all but everyone around him is so immersed in themselves they simply ignore it or dont care.

djsmokingjam -> RE: American Psycho Ending (3/11/2006 8:49:02 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: kingalan

He wasn't supposed to have committed any of the murders. He lives in his own narcissistic, self-made bubble and his power over other people was what got him excited. The power which his job and status brings is not enough anymore and so he has created this fantasy in which he can torture and murder his colleagues and strangers basically to inflate his own ego and sense of power. That's why the murders become increasingly more ludicrous as the film (and book) progresses eg dropping the chainsaw down the flight of stairs. He's so swamped by his own sense of status and superiority that his mind is fucked to the point of this fantasy.

This is more or less in line with my interpretation of the film as well.  When Bateman imagines the murders, IMO he does so in order to desensitise himself and be reconciled with the lack of humanity - the evil, if you will - that working in Wall Street big business requires.  See how at the beginning his voiceover tells us that he is confused by the emptiness inside him, as he clings to his last vestiges of humanity, but then at the end he has finally come to terms with it ("all the mayhem I have caused and my utter indifference toward it, I have now surpassed...").  This is why I find the final voice-over so chilling - Bateman's apathy has reached such heights that even if he hasn't killed anyone yet, he sure as hell is going to!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI