RE: The PS3 Thread (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad

Sexual Harassment Panda -> RE: The PS3 Thread (27/3/2007 4:48:37 PM)

Yeah it doesn't seem right, especially when they say "we are now replenishing retail stock across the country" I've not seen any shops who's PS3 stocks are in need of replenishment.

zombie pirate -> RE: The PS3 Thread (27/3/2007 4:56:54 PM)

Yeah.....ours certainly don't need replenishing!   Nobody came in asking about the console over the weekend, except for customers who had already pre-ordered one!

Combination of too many consoles in the country and too high a price tag?????

TobiasFunke -> RE: The PS3 Thread (27/3/2007 4:56:54 PM)

I find those figures very hard to believe. Sounds a bit like an attempt to generate interest in the console, when clearly most shops have got tons of units sitting collecting dust. I was in Game yesterday, and was accosted by one of the friendly staff, who asked if I'd bought a PS3 yet. I told him I hadn't. and didn't plan to buy one either. His response: 'right, your about the one millionth customer to tell me that'. I jokily asked if, being the 'one millionth' to say this, did I win a prize, such as a PS3, he said: 'if I could, yeah, that would be one less to try and flog'. He told me the store was allocated around 50 units, and they were 'nowhere near' to selling half of those. [:D] 

Spiff -> RE: The PS3 Thread (27/3/2007 5:03:00 PM)

Yes, I'm sure Sony have bribed ChartTrack. [8|]

paulyboy -> RE: The PS3 Thread (27/3/2007 5:10:51 PM)

The numbers do seem a little odd but without any hard evidence to the contrary (let's face it, our mate in Game hardly counts) who are we to argue, fair play I say.

Have to admit with "Plenty of PS3's still in stock!" signs plastered all over my local town centre it's rather easy to forget that Sony actually managed to get a fair bit of stock into the UK for launch, one advantage of the European delay.

JIm R -> RE: The PS3 Thread (27/3/2007 5:16:25 PM)

Which all begs the question, aside from price, why are people avoiding the PS3 like the plague ?

or is it the price only....

juanvasquez -> RE: The PS3 Thread (27/3/2007 5:36:07 PM)

I'm not. If I had the money to spend on one I would have got one. If they were £150 less I would have probably got one.

brampski -> RE: The PS3 Thread (27/3/2007 9:20:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulyboy

The numbers do seem a little odd but without any hard evidence to the contrary (let's face it, our mate in Game hardly counts) who are we to argue, fair play I say.

Have to admit with "Plenty of PS3's still in stock!" signs plastered all over my local town centre it's rather easy to forget that Sony actually managed to get a fair bit of stock into the UK for launch, one advantage of the European delay.

From CVG.com
quote:

SCE will be happy with new Chart Track figures released today, which reveal a remarkable launch for the PS3.

165,000 thousand PS3s were whipped off shelves in the first two days of sale, and lugged home by what must have been some very aching arms (it's one heavy package, let us tell you from experience).

That trounces all over the Xbox 360's relative launch weekend, which sold 70,000, and beats the Wii's record of 105,000 units sold.

This success can be put down in part to Sony's ample supply of consoles, meeting the huge demands with a hefty one million units shipped to Europe for launch, 220,000 of which were hiked to UK stores.

The success of the launch also saw PS3 dominate Chart Track's current all-formats charts, with six titles making it into the top 10, Resistance: Fall of Man and Motorstorm taking positions one and two respectively. This saw the software-to-hardware sales ratio hit 1.65, which is great news for Sony.

So because xbox sold all 70,000 units available on launch, the wii sold all 105,000 units available on launch but the PS3 only sold 165,000 units of 220,000 available on launch, the PS3 is the only one to flop?!

But of course it has, as having surplus stock is always a sign of failure. Lets not have facts get in the way of a good story! And we can ignore the fact that PS3 games are doing well in the multi-format charts as well. Game sales are also irrelevant to a consoles success aren't they. [sm=rolleyes10.gif]

Seriously, this thread is 7 pages of xbox fanboys rabbiting on about how shit PS3 and Sony are. Leave it alone, the success or failure of the consoles you own does not correlate to the size of your penis!

Harry Tuttle -> RE: The PS3 Thread (27/3/2007 10:12:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: brampski

Seriously, this thread is 7 pages of xbox fanboys rabbiting on about how shit PS3 and Sony are. Leave it alone, the success or failure of the consoles you own does not correlate to the size of your penis!

I've yet to read a comment by anyone stating that the PS3 is shit. Just that it's overpriced and has no exclusive games worth buying. Which is true, at the moment. I don't think anybody doubts that the PS3 will become a roaring success eventually but a lot of people think that Sony have absolutely ballsed up the launch, which is also true.

dj vivace -> RE: The PS3 Thread (27/3/2007 10:24:41 PM)

How have they ballsed up the launch? What, by putting too many consoles in the business, rather than microsoft or nintendo? I have to admit, (working in retail) that the general feeling of the PS3 is of dis-trust that the console will work to its full advantage, and customers seem a little overwhelmed both by the price and what the console can actually do. However, i dont think having too many consoles is a bad thing, and i understand that consoles like the Wii are like gold-dust at the mo (thus generating interest) but the PS3 has done massive business so far, and they are selling at a loss for Sony. The console market is very agressive at the moment and Sony want to sell as many as they can to get people buying their games so they can make money. And to me, that makes perfect business sense

Harry Tuttle -> RE: The PS3 Thread (27/3/2007 11:16:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dj vivace

How have they ballsed up the launch?

By overpricing the machine (the average joe cares fuck all for Blu-Ray), changing the launch date, twice, fucking over Europe and missing out on the most lucrative Christmas period. There's also the fiasco with the six-axis joypad not having a rumble feature which I'm guessing will have bugged more than a few people.

Plus add onto that the fact that they gave the 360 a year's head start, allowing it to sell enough units to get the likes of Sega, Epic and Capcom to bring out PS3 'exclusive' titles onto it.

Perfect business sense indeed [8|].

DJ Satan -> RE: The PS3 Thread (27/3/2007 11:53:47 PM)

You forgot selling the machine at £150 more here than in the States or Japan.

paulyboy -> RE: The PS3 Thread (27/3/2007 11:59:35 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulyboy

From CVG.com
quote:

SCE will be happy with new Chart Track figures released today, which reveal a remarkable launch for the PS3.

165,000 thousand PS3s were whipped off shelves in the first two days of sale, and lugged home by what must have been some very aching arms (it's one heavy package, let us tell you from experience).

That trounces all over the Xbox 360's relative launch weekend, which sold 70,000, and beats the Wii's record of 105,000 units sold.

This success can be put down in part to Sony's ample supply of consoles, meeting the huge demands with a hefty one million units shipped to Europe for launch, 220,000 of which were hiked to UK stores.

The success of the launch also saw PS3 dominate Chart Track's current all-formats charts, with six titles making it into the top 10, Resistance: Fall of Man and Motorstorm taking positions one and two respectively. This saw the software-to-hardware sales ratio hit 1.65, which is great news for Sony.

So because xbox sold all 70,000 units available on launch, the wii sold all 105,000 units available on launch but the PS3 only sold 165,000 units of 220,000 available on launch, the PS3 is the only one to flop?!

But of course it has, as having surplus stock is always a sign of failure. Lets not have facts get in the way of a good story! And we can ignore the fact that PS3 games are doing well in the multi-format charts as well. Game sales are also irrelevant to a consoles success aren't they. [sm=rolleyes10.gif]

I'm not entirely sure why you've quoted my post whilst making your little rant, considering it's one of the more positive posts with regards to the PS3. Granted I said the numbers seemed odd but I also said we can't put stock in what some guy at the local Game store said thus insinuating that it doesn't represent the overall bigger picture. As I said before, fair play to Sony and the second part of my post was only discussing the positives of delaying the launch when they did, had they not there would of been severe shortages.

Apologies however if you weren't quoting my post in that way.

Sexual Harassment Panda -> RE: The PS3 Thread (28/3/2007 12:15:45 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

By overpricing the machine (the average joe cares fuck all for Blu-Ray), changing the launch date, twice, fucking over Europe and missing out on the most lucrative Christmas period. There's also the fiasco with the six-axis joypad not having a rumble feature which I'm guessing will have bugged more than a few people.

Plus add onto that the fact that they gave the 360 a year's head start, allowing it to sell enough units to get the likes of Sega, Epic and Capcom to bring out PS3 'exclusive' titles onto it.

Perfect business sense indeed .

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

You also forgot selling us an inferior version of the console with worse backwards compatibility functionality.

But yes, I agree with what was said before aswell as all the above negative comments about the launch. It's still a great piece of kit that will no doubt have some good games in the future and once it comes down in price will be well worth the purchase. However I'm not convinced it will sell well despite this "impressive launch" least we forget the PSP actually holds the record for best UK launch with 185,000 sold, yet it's now dropping off retailers shelves because it and it's games are selling so poorly.

adambatman82 -> RE: The PS3 Thread (28/3/2007 1:46:20 AM)

well done sony to such a great launch.

BigKovacs -> RE: The PS3 Thread (28/3/2007 10:11:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

By overpricing the machine (the average joe cares fuck all for Blu-Ray),†changing the launch date, twice, fucking over Europe†and missing out on the most lucrative Christmas period. There's also the fiasco with the six-axis joypad not having a rumble feature which I'm guessing will have bugged more than a few people.

Perfect business sense indeed .

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

You also forgot selling us an inferior version of the console with worse backwards compatibility functionality.

But yes, I agree with what was said before aswell as all the above negative comments about the launch. It's still a great piece of kit that will no doubt have some good games in the future and once it comes down in price will be well worth the purchase. However I'm not convinced it will sell well despite this "impressive launch" least we forget the PSP actually holds the record for best UK launch with 185,000 sold, yet it's now dropping off retailers shelves because it and it's games are selling so poorly.

Ironically the PSP sales starting flagging becouse of its ridiculous price, its been out 2 years and is in desperate need for a price drop. I hope Sony learn a lesson here.

Gizmo 76 -> RE: The PS3 Thread (28/3/2007 10:45:45 AM)

Really loving Motorstorm, doing level 3 races at the moment, I struggle most with the big slow trucks, give me my nippy AVT's and Motorbikes [:D]

This is probably the one game that really stands out as something running on a very powerful machine, you take alot for granted, but when you sit back and watch what is going on it's pretty damn amazing. 14 odd Mud drenched, damaged cars running around a highly detailed, smooth, large scaled track, at times it is just jaw dropping!!

The tracks are so well designed, even now i'm still finding new routes on tracks I thought i'd totally discovered. Only been online twice, not up to the level of LIVE in terms of ease of setup, but once you're going the game was for me totally smooth in a room full, superb fun. Got to try out my old bluetooth headset as it does seem weird not talking!?!?

The downloading from the US/Japan Stores is great as well because once you've lined them up to perform in the background you can actually sign out and back into your UK login and continue on playing as normal [:D]

So am I the only one with a PS3 Gamertag?? Don't be shy!!

borstal -> RE: The PS3 Thread (28/3/2007 10:46:22 AM)

quote:

Seriously, this thread is 7 pages of xbox fanboys rabbiting on about how shit PS3 and Sony are.

Thank god we have the internet so we can dumb down any argument by calling people with considered opinion fanboys.

Dragar 11(New Birth) -> RE: The PS3 Thread (28/3/2007 2:18:47 PM)

At the end of the day, if the PS3 was such a roaring success, then they would have sold out of all thier allocation.

Everyone expected this to happen. All other console launches in the past 8-9 years have sold out, an exeception should not be made in this case.

It's like Madonna having a concert and only sellling hals the tickets. Demand has not been high for this machine. If demand was high they would have sold out simple.

If the Wii had the allocation of 165,000 at launch it is my opinion that they would have sold out of all allocation. This is based on the fact that it is all comers console geared to the family, and it released close to Xmas.

If PS3 had 70,000 at launch I reckon they would have sold about just over half.

I still think they made up those sales figures though[:D]

Spiff -> RE: The PS3 Thread (28/3/2007 4:10:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dragar 11(New Birth)
If PS3 had 70,000 at launch I reckon they would have sold about just over half.

Erm... [sm=52.gif]

brampski -> RE: The PS3 Thread (28/3/2007 6:36:24 PM)

quote:

Apologies however if you weren't quoting my post in that way.

I wasn't, I used it as a base for mine because it was more sensible than most.

and

quote:

Thank god we have the internet so we can dumb down any argument by calling people with considered opinion fanboys. 

This is a fair point, but any "considered opinion" is well hidden amonst good ol fashioned mud slinging at Sony and copious amounts of  [image]http://www.empireonline.com/forum/micons/m9.gif[/image] smilies! And I'd still say that there are some overly zealous Xbox people on a wind up.

The point I was trying to make was that there has been far too much made of the launch price and surplus stock issue and that is was time to move on and maybe discuss some of the games and what the console can actually do.

Par example, I have to say Motorstorm is excellent simple minded fun and I would recommend it to anyone. Particularly enjoying the buggies which are great fun to drive.

And the Playstation store is excellent. 

ichi -> RE: The PS3 Thread (28/3/2007 11:10:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gizmo 76

Really loving Motorstorm, doing level 3 races at the moment, I struggle most with the big slow trucks, give me my nippy AVT's and Motorbikes [:D]

This is probably the one game that really stands out as something running on a very powerful machine, you take alot for granted, but when you sit back and watch what is going on it's pretty damn amazing. 14 odd Mud drenched, damaged cars running around a highly detailed, smooth, large scaled track, at times it is just jaw dropping!!

The tracks are so well designed, even now i'm still finding new routes on tracks I thought i'd totally discovered. Only been online twice, not up to the level of LIVE in terms of ease of setup, but once you're going the game was for me totally smooth in a room full, superb fun. Got to try out my old bluetooth headset as it does seem weird not talking!?!?

The downloading from the US/Japan Stores is great as well because once you've lined them up to perform in the background you can actually sign out and back into your UK login and continue on playing as normal [:D]

So am I the only one with a PS3 Gamertag?? Don't be shy!!

I'm really enjoying Motorstorm as well[:)] i started playing again today after taking a few days away from it to play some other games.

I haven't used my account to play online yet but i have gotten a few downloads.

How do you set it up for a japanese account ?

Megalo-who? -> RE: The PS3 Thread (29/3/2007 1:23:11 AM)

I want one now, just found out that The Fountain is coming out on Blu-ray, oh The Fountain. Can anybody speak for how good HD films are? I have the set-up with a bravia and everything, just need the hardware to watch the films. I know this might sound absurd considering the dire line-up of films available, but I'm sure it will get better. And well...The Fountain is gold!

adambatman82 -> RE: The PS3 Thread (29/3/2007 1:45:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Megalo-who?

I want one now, just found out that The Fountain is coming out on Blu-ray, oh The Fountain. Can anybody speak for how good HD films are? I have the set-up with a bravia and everything, just need the hardware to watch the films. I know this might sound absurd considering the dire line-up of films available, but I'm sure it will get better. And well...The Fountain is gold!

i think i might make the fountain my first blu-ray purchase.

Gizmo 76 -> RE: The PS3 Thread (29/3/2007 9:09:13 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ichi

I'm really enjoying Motorstorm as well[:)] i started playing again today after taking a few days away from it to play some other games.

On the far left of your XMB, you have your account options. Create a new account, and then log into this account. Now on the far right hand side will be the option to register the account, just enter your details as a US or Hong Kong address (apparently more english based than the japanese site), use a  fake email and hotel address etc... and away you go [:D]

I'll definitely pick up 'The Fountain' on Blu-Ray as well, mezmerising movie..... The US line up of Blu-Ray has improved quite a bit over the last couple of months, some US discs will actually work, i'll try and find the site that tells you and post a link.

Sexual Harassment Panda -> RE: The PS3 Thread (29/3/2007 10:56:19 AM)

quote:

You're going to get a PS3 because of a movie? Shouldn't you base your purchase on the games? [sm=augen14.gif]

'Lucky' Luciano -> RE: The PS3 Thread (29/3/2007 11:00:23 AM)

quote:

Sin City in HD is absolutely glorious and is the first HD movie I have watched where the picture quality, extra detail and downright holy-shit life-like images blew me away. Buy it, if its available!!!

juanvasquez -> RE: The PS3 Thread (29/3/2007 11:14:09 AM)

quote:

quote:

You're going to get a PS3 because of a movie? Shouldn't be basing your purchase on the games? [sm=augen14.gif]

From what I've seen the PS3 is one of the cheapest Blu-ray players available. If I were to spend a shit load of money on a Blu-ray player I might as well get a PS3

Sexual Harassment Panda -> RE: The PS3 Thread (29/3/2007 11:47:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

quote:

quote:

You're going to get a PS3 because of a movie? Shouldn't be basing your purchase on the games? [sm=augen14.gif]

From what I've seen the PS3 is one of the cheapest Blu-ray players available. If I were to spend a shit load of money on a Blu-ray player I might as well get a PS3

Well to be honest I wouldn't buy either console PS3 or 360 and HD DVD add on for their HD movie playing abilities, as neither has won the format war yet, and neither will be brilliant players. I'd just wait until one does win because by then the stand alone players will be at a much lower price. Of course if I had a PS3 for the games etc and there were one or two Blu Ray films that I really wanted then yes I'd get them.

ichi -> RE: The PS3 Thread (29/3/2007 1:01:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gizmo 76

quote:

ORIGINAL: ichi

On the far left of your XMB, you have your account options. Create a new account, and then log into this account. Now on the far right hand side will be the option to register the account, just enter your details as a US or Hong Kong address (apparently more english based than the japanese site), use a  fake email and hotel address etc... and away you go [:D]

I'll definitely pick up 'The Fountain' on Blu-Ray as well, mezmerising movie..... The US line up of Blu-Ray has improved quite a bit over the last couple of months, some US discs will actually work, i'll try and find the site that tells you and post a link.

Cheers for that man[:)]

Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI