RE: The PS3 Thread (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad

Wilbert -> RE: The PS3 Thread (24/3/2007 4:04:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: EVILSPEAK

The PS3 is horribly over-priced even though you get a lot for your money but give it a few months and i'm sure Sony will shave about 100 off the price of it to boost sales.

I doubt it, evilspeak unless there is a serious uptake in sales. The console is already selling at a loss. A price drop so soon seems unlikely.

Sexual Harassment Panda -> RE: The PS3 Thread (24/3/2007 4:08:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

quote:

The PS3 is horribly over-priced even though you get a lot for your money but give it a few months and i'm sure Sony will shave about 100 off the price of it to boost sales.

I doubt it, evilspeak unless there is a serious uptake in sales. The console is already selling at a loss. A price drop so soon seems unlikely.

There's already a $100 price cut on its way for America so I wouldn't doubt it at all. There's only one way they'll boost sales and that's more exclusive games and a cheaper price tag. The technology inside it will come down in price soon enough, as it already has done (hence the change in components for the UK model compared to the US and Jap ones). And the only way to make back the money they lose per console (which they've already lost as they've already made them) is to get as many people as possible to buy them so that software sales increase, as it is games that make the money, not the consoles.

Harry Tuttle -> RE: The PS3 Thread (24/3/2007 4:09:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

quote:

Indeed. I'm quite positive that I read a comment by a Sony spokesperson stating that the PS3 will not see a price drop in it's first year of release. And just because the US of A is getting a cut means jack shit to us in Europe. Sony hate us and we're already paying 150+ more for the machine than the yanks are.

brampski -> RE: The PS3 Thread (24/3/2007 4:58:03 PM)

Having problems with the wireless signal strength with my PS3. The console is upstairs and the router is downstairs.

Can't move the two closer together for a number of reasons I won't bore you with so anyone any ideas as to how I can boost the signal?

James2183 -> RE: The PS3 Thread (24/3/2007 5:24:31 PM)

Went into town again today and once again saw what I witnessed on Friday, loads of PS3's available and nobody giving it the time of day. In Curry's they had at least 8 on sale with one as a demonstration console, but people seemed more interested in the 360 over crackdown. I wish I was making it up to be honest as it sounds like I am anti Sony but there was nobody paying the console any attention at all.

JIm R -> RE: The PS3 Thread (25/3/2007 10:14:46 AM)

[sm=schild15.gif] ish....

Does anyone know if the price of PS2 games will go down due to the PS3's launch ?

PatBateman -> RE: The PS3 Thread (25/3/2007 10:42:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Indeed. I'm quite positive that I read a comment by a Sony spokesperson stating that the PS3 will not see a price drop in it's first year of release.

Is this the same type of press release that announced the release date for sometime last year?

If they said there was a possibility of a price drop, then sales would slow. It's just a basic business tactic that far too many gullible people are falling for.

Your Funny Uncle -> RE: The PS3 Thread (25/3/2007 11:23:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

Went into town again today and once again saw what I witnessed on Friday, loads of PS3's available and nobody giving it the time of day. In Curry's they had at least 8 on sale with one as a demonstration console, but people seemed more interested in the 360 over crackdown. I wish I was making it up to be honest as it sounds like I am anti Sony but there was nobody paying the console any attention at all.

I was in Aberdeen on Friday and wandered into GAME, I must admit I had forgotten the PS3 was being released as I'm not interested in it at that price. It was about 12.30 and they had a huge sign in the window saying that there were still 21 up for grabs. I did witness someone buying one, he thought he was the dogs bollocks but you could see every other gamer in there thinking you idiot.....including me.[:D]

PatBateman -> RE: The PS3 Thread (25/3/2007 11:43:04 AM)

I actually wouldn't mind a PS3, but it just lacks the games at the moment. If it had Pro Evo on it then I would probably get one, as the 360 always feels slightly ropey.

The Blu-Ray player appeals more to me than my HD-DVD drive. The noise from the 360 is just a joke when watching anything with a quiet scene and the reliability of the system is always playing on my mind a little.

It just lacks the games at the moment, but I'm weak so who knows. I'll probably import so I can get US BRDs earlier.

Gizmo 76 -> RE: The PS3 Thread (25/3/2007 1:46:30 PM)

Ok, where to start, for months I said I wouldn't be getting one, and even up until the day of release of was still not getting one, but.........

It is a long complex story, but the short version goes like this, I had 370 worth of credit from trade ins, I'm a weak willed man, and there was something new and shiny to buy, I crumbled and now i'm an owner of a PS3!!

So after a couple of days of play what do I think.......

To be honest i'm quite impressed overall, the console itself look's like a expensive bit of kit, even if i'm not totally sold on the design. It is VERY solid, and pretty damn heavy as well, it's quiet, but you can hear it's on. One thing I didn't expect because I haven't really heard it mentioned that much, but boy does this machine kick out some heat, if you put some cheese on a normal bit of bread next to it, give it 5 mins and you have a meal, the early comparisons to a George Foreman grill were actually pretty close to the mark [;)]

Now onto the interface, well if you've used a PSP you kinda know what to expect, some people prefer this to dashboard, some people I don't. I don't really, I love the way that Dashboard incorperates Marketplace, it feel's seamless and one, but when you go to the Sony Store, you leave XMB and access a website, just doesn't feel as good IMO. But that negative out the way, when you get use to it, it works and does what it's mean't.

While we're hear, the Sony Store, pretty damn nice, a good selection on day one, some great prices (displayed in currency)  for the LIVE style downloads which at the moment are very quick, so while it isn't incorperated as well as marketplace, it works and works well.

You can attach an ipod to the PS3, but it won't display your tracks as it doesn't see the file structure, but you can totally explore your ipod and play your tracks this way. Not the best, but it does mean you can attach anything and get stuff of it e.g. a CD/HDD full of MP3's and then copy them across to the HDD, which is kinda cool. The Photo and Music side of the PS3 is nice as well, with some very cool graphical tricks and effects, also if you wanted to you can partition your hard drive and install Linux. While lot of this won't affect mainly, it adds a different side to the PS3 and for the unrestrictive nature of it all, Sony have to be commended

Now the games, i've only got Motorstorm and Resistance:F.O.M., both are very impressive, Resistance has a COD3 feel to it, it look's great, runs superb, and I feel the weapons are going to be the star. Motorsotrm, most of us had seen the videos, and it really does look as cool in real life. It's actually quite a tricky little racing game, takes while to get use to the tracks as there are SO many different routes and ways through them. Online with 12 people I didn't experience one bit of lag, would be great fun with a room full of friends. I'll give you more of a write up on the games when I have put some more time into them, but from the few hours of play so far I'm impressed.

So overall, there are negatives and positives, the 360 still is the console to own, it has more games, better online interface, and a better controller IMO, but Sony's PS3 really is a classy bit of kit that will in time have it's place in the market. So for now, LIVE will still be my friday night [:D]

DJ Satan -> RE: The PS3 Thread (25/3/2007 2:10:19 PM)

Traitor! [:(]

RockyWilcox -> RE: The PS3 Thread (25/3/2007 2:31:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

Went into Argos yesterday to get a small bookcase and curiosity got the better of me and I checked the stock on PS3s. 27 in stock it said, 27!!! I know I have a 360, but a good console is a good console. I have a Wii and DS, and a PSP. I owned a NES, SNES, N64, Playstation 1 and 2 and an Xbox. I aren't devoted to one brand  is what I'm trying to say (I may have snubbed SEGA though [;)]).

I've come very close to buying a PS3, but the fact of the matter is it is too expensive and as much as I'd like to have one, and I'll be honest, because it's new, it doesn't give me much more than I have already.

Gizmo 76 -> RE: The PS3 Thread (25/3/2007 2:33:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

Traitor! [:(]

Don't worry i'm not leaving LIVE or anything [;)]

I forgot to mention that Team17 have done a great job on Lemmings, really nice graphical update of a classic.

Also as I was in a rush I didn't talk about the pads which is pretty much a lighter version of the previous PS2 pad. The back top buttons are now triggers, which are VERY sensitive, too much so in Resistance as you don't even realise you're touching it until the change weapon option sticks itself in the middle of the screen. I MUCH prefer the 360 pads overall as after a few hours of play on a playstation my hands always come away locked in the claw position [:D]

I'll post some shots later to show the dark side [sm=fighting03.gif]

Jules -> RE: The PS3 Thread (25/3/2007 3:13:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gizmo 76

quote:

Traitor! [:(]

I forgot to mention that Team17 have done a great job on Lemmings, really nice graphical update of a classic.

Also as I was in a rush I didn't talk about the pads which is pretty much a lighter version of the previous PS2 pad. The back top buttons are now triggers, which are VERY sensitive, too much so in Resistance as you don't even realise you're touching it until the change weapon option sticks itself in the middle of the screen. I MUCH prefer the 360 pads overall as after a few hours of play on a playstation my hands always come away locked in the claw position [:D]

My biggest concern with the machine (apart from the price and current lack of games which will both change) is the pads. I never liked the PS1 and PS2 pads much and this seems pretty much the same - but the lack of rumble is the main concern.

What is it like playing a FPS and a racing game without that. Doesn't it feel weird?

Sexual Harassment Panda -> RE: The PS3 Thread (25/3/2007 3:31:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jules

quote:

quote:

Traitor! [:(]

My biggest concern with the machine (apart from the price and current lack of games which will both change) is the pads. I never liked the PS1 and PS2 pads much and this seems pretty much the same - but the lack of rumble is the main concern.

What is it like playing a FPS and a racing game without that. Doesn't it feel weird?

Sony have given in and paid to use rumble again, so their controllers will have rumble at some point, the latest version of the GT Concept demo has rumble, but no controllers have it.

Sony are going to have to take their time before introducing rumble again because they lied about it messing up the six axis technology and so they're going to have to stick with that lie and pretend that they're working on a solution.

Mycroft -> RE: The PS3 Thread (25/3/2007 4:26:17 PM)

Only thing enticing about PS3 to me is running Linux, so all video formats are supported. Pretty painful with 256MB RAM though.

Gizmo 76 -> RE: The PS3 Thread (25/3/2007 5:22:20 PM)

Ok, so the few people that have a PS3, what are your gametags??

mine is Giz76.....

Maybe we can get some Motorstorm races going?? or a 40 man deathmatch on R:F.O.M. [:D]

Sexual Harassment Panda -> RE: The PS3 Thread (25/3/2007 5:27:15 PM)

The few of you, I thought it was you and Caesar, and that was it [;)][:D]

TomTron -> RE: The PS3 Thread (25/3/2007 5:28:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

Does anyone know if the price of PS2 games will go down due to the PS3's launch ?

It's very likely, i saw GTA: LC Stories for 7.99 today!

the anomaly -> RE: The PS3 Thread (25/3/2007 9:14:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TomTron

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

It's very likely, i saw GTA: LC Stories for 7.99 today!

I think thats more due to that game being a PSP port that was released at a budget price. Also Vice City stories is out now. But I am sure it will happen in the future.
I honestly forgot this was comming out the other day.I only realised this was out by reading the paper and hearing about how those who queued for 43 hours (the first 100?) got Sony Bravia TVs worth 1850 and one got a car?
Thats the most interested I have been in the PS3 recently [;)] It really is a first, I dont know any one that has got one or anyone that plans to buy one asap.

DJ Satan -> RE: The PS3 Thread (25/3/2007 11:12:49 PM)

If you shop around you can find original Xbox games for dirt cheap. It might take 6 months but they will get cheaper.

ichi -> RE: The PS3 Thread (26/3/2007 2:53:03 AM)

Me and my GF finished Resistence today and i loved it! just going to try and do it on another setting since we unlocked some more guns to use.
The Tekken download from the shop is pretty deadly too.

I'm doing pretty well on Motorstorm as well[:D]

The girlfriend had been playing Genji and she seems to enjoy it as well.

DJ Satan -> RE: The PS3 Thread (26/3/2007 7:57:04 AM)

Got your money's worth then. [:D]

Caesar -> RE: The PS3 Thread (26/3/2007 3:09:41 PM)

quote:

Ok, so the few people that have a PS3, what are your gametags??

mine is Giz76.....

Maybe we can get some Motorstorm races going?? or a 40 man deathmatch on R:F.O.M. [:D]

sounds good. i have yet to set mine up, it will be something to do with Rome though [:D] i will prob set it up tonight or tomorrow. i'll let you know when i have [:)]
(go easy on the girly though as i'm not too good on resistance..... yet [;)])

Gizmo 76 -> RE: The PS3 Thread (26/3/2007 7:08:01 PM)

I setup my Japanese and US accounts earlier means you can download some different demos, I grabbed Everybody's Golf 5 earlier from Japan's Sony Store.

I just googled a couple of hotel addresses, not that i'm sure I filled the right stuff in on the japanese registration because it was all err.... written in japanese, but it all worked [:D] Once downloaded you can play them on your normal english account no problem. The US Store has demos of Def Jam:ICON, NBA '07, and Full Auto 2, they also have full games like 'flOw', but your credit card would need to be US registered I believe to buy it.

Sexual Harassment Panda -> RE: The PS3 Thread (26/3/2007 7:15:35 PM)

Hmm, I did that with the US account for Xbox Live, I always wanted a Japanese account too, so I may steal that idea.

nybras -> RE: The PS3 Thread (26/3/2007 8:24:05 PM)

Very cool clip, thank you.
Still I won't be buying a PS3...

quote:

ORIGINAL: LongLiveTheKong

Waiting for price drop too. And MGS 4. Which has been pushed back to late 2007.

Speaking of MGS 4, the newest trailer has been released at TGS.  http://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/tgs_2006/

WAIT FOR THE END. OH EM GEE.

Also, if the .asx format isn't working particularly well for you (it freezed a lot for me), I took the liberty of downloading it using Net Transport (which converted it into .wmv format), and then I uploaded it to YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU4ViGgGV_o

:) You're welcome.

Harry Tuttle -> RE: The PS3 Thread (26/3/2007 9:03:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

Hmm, I did that with the US account for Xbox Live, I always wanted a Japanese account too, so I may steal that idea.

Heh, I put Sony Japan's address when setting up a Japanese account for my 360 [:D].

ichi -> RE: The PS3 Thread (26/3/2007 11:40:36 PM)

quote:

Got your money's worth then. [:D]

About the same amount thet anyone gets when they have only had a console for a couple of days.

DJ Satan -> RE: The PS3 Thread (27/3/2007 4:11:53 PM)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6499841.stm
Sony claim a record launch with over 165,000 units sold in two days, beating the 105,000 Wii's.

Does anyone else believe these figures when most retailers I have spoken to have said sales and demand are a lot less then  for the other consoles?

Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI