Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand

Peter Dragon -> Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread (30/9/2005 9:57:57 AM)

Welcome to Oval Balls!
A thread devoted to all things rugby.
Transfer speculation, results, fixtures...whatever.
If it's Rugby we'll have it in here please.

Enjoy.

Peter Dragon -> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread (14/1/2006 11:50:58 AM)

This thread is in need of a huge BUMP![;)]

Ahoy! HEC Weekend, who's up for it?

Castres V Munster was a nice one to whet the appetite eh? Who watched? Did you all enjoy the re-emergence of a set of Munster backs capable of actually passing and scoring?[;)] And we still have Cullen to come back from injury. I'm certainly optimistic again, not too much though.

Anywho Izz, can the Tiggers do it? Eh? Stade are a big team. BTW what do you think of Jennings? Has been a good replacment for old Backy.

BB? Are the Falcons still in contention? Can't remember if they are even in the comp this year?

C'mon, other Oval Ballers, let's here your team and your predictions for the weekend?

Izzardesque2 -> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread (19/1/2006 9:49:24 AM)

HEy all.

Thought I'd bump this again - sorry PD, didn't see it when you bumped it!

Well the Tiggers did it! Hurrah. I don't forsee Clermont being too much of a challenge. Homefield advantage here we come!

What do people think about Dayglo being welcomed back to the fold?

Peter Dragon -> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread (19/1/2006 11:05:55 AM)

No worries matey, long time no see eh?

Yeah Tiggers looked good again last weekend, great match by all accounts.

Can't wait for Sale to come over here and get a taste of Thomond, it'll be a very interesting match to say the least. Did I mention I can't wait?[;)]

Izzardesque2 -> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread (19/1/2006 11:22:57 AM)

Will be a tough team to beat.

Izzardesque2 -> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread (20/1/2006 12:08:47 PM)

I might be getting tickets to see England v Wales! Huzzah!!!

Your Funny Uncle -> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread (20/1/2006 12:51:38 PM)

Union?........PAH![:'(]

Peter Dragon -> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread (23/1/2006 9:41:03 AM)

Shag off.......[;)]

Get in!

Tough team to beat eh Izz?
[image]http://www.munsterfans.com/forum/uploads/Daky/2006-01-21_234151_CRW_0997.gif[/image]

Izzardesque2 -> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread (23/1/2006 12:29:17 PM)

Who'd have thunked it? Well done, Mr Dragon. Munster's awesome home record grows just that little bit more!!

Looking at the draw, we could well face each other in the semis!

Peter Dragon -> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread (23/1/2006 12:58:14 PM)

Unbelieveable, did you see the game Izz? Sheridan and Chabal looked dumbfounded at one stage. I was so proud to call myself a Munster supporter this weekend......Again.

As for you and us again, well, could well happen, but let's not count our chicks just yet.

Here's the 1/4 final line ups.

Toulouse v Leinster
Biarritz Olympique v Sale Sharks
Leicester Tigers v Bath Rugby
Munster v Perpignan

Hmmmmmm[sm=33.gif], long way to go between now and then, plus the 6 Nations in between now and then too.

Ref -> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread (23/1/2006 5:51:59 PM)

When's the first 6 Nations game?

Izzardesque2 -> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread (23/1/2006 6:15:32 PM)

4th of Feb

Ref -> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread (23/1/2006 6:23:26 PM)

Cool - not far off then.  In a very brief summary I support Tigers, England and then Wales (Mum's Welsh ya see).  So without being biased, who do you reckon is gonna win? 

Izzardesque2 -> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread (23/1/2006 10:47:07 PM)

Mwahahahaha, another Tigers fan. We're multiplying PD!!!

I think its a fairly wide open tournament, with France probably favourites. If Wales (my team) can keep itself healthy then, I think we have the self-belieft to be in with a good chance. If England can play like they did against New Zealand, they've got a very good chance, and as for Ireland - who knows!? They can have the best team and the best form and still play like crap if the mood doesn't take them!!

Ref -> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread (24/1/2006 8:45:29 PM)

I agree, Ireland are dark-horses eh.  Ok then, who will finish bottom of the 6 nations table?  I think Italy have really come on well these past few seasons (quite tenacious those lot), so I reckon Scotland are gonna be in 6th place this year.

Izzardesque2 -> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread (30/1/2006 11:39:18 AM)

Predictions for the weekend?

I think the only match that will be difficult to predict is the England v Wales game. Wales do not have a completely fit team with a lot of newish players coming into the squad and England are yet to properly click and dominate a performance.

Should be interesting.

Ref -> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread (3/2/2006 6:03:23 PM)

Here's my take on how the final table will look:
1. England (but not the Grand Slam)
2. France
3. Ireland
4. Wales
5. Italy
6. Scotland 

Squall Katsuragi -> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread (4/2/2006 9:10:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Izzardesque2

Predictions for the weekend?

I think the only match that will be difficult to predict is the England v Wales game. Wales do not have a completely fit team with a lot of newish players coming into the squad and England are yet to properly click and dominate a performance.

Should be interesting.

And your opinion now?[:)]

Ref -> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread (4/2/2006 9:43:58 PM)

What a great return for Moody!  Not giving away that many penalties - I think it was only one - which is a vast improvement indeed. 

Ref -> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread (5/2/2006 9:36:34 PM)

*rubs eyes*  Scotland beat France, WTF?!  Well that messes up my predictions then don't it.

Izzardesque2 -> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread (6/2/2006 10:18:09 AM)

Well, an interesting weekend of rugby.

England, still not playing their best but showing significant periods of good play both in the backs and the forwards (oh but to let Dayglo and Whinger Dawson to score - whoa is me!!), won an impressive victory against an understrength Wales team.

For much of the game there was little to choose between the two, but towards the end, the continuity of the English side enabled them to execute where Wales couldn’t. Could dispute the yellow card to Martyn Williams, which I think was pretty critical, but don’t want to sound like sour grapes!

Italy should have beaten Ireland. Atrocious refereeing – to not go to the video ref on the non-grounding try was a travesty. It took the momentum away from the Italians and with it the game.

Scotland v France – wow, who’d have thought it? French heads dropped surprisingly quickly as Scotland took the game to them. France didn’t help themselves with far too many handling errors but Scotland put pressure on them and never really let up, except maybe in the last 10 minutes. Great game, and now makes for a great championship?

Still don’t think there will be a grand slam.

Ref -> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread (8/2/2006 8:14:29 PM)

As a Tiger's fan Izz, what do you think of Pez's improvement?  I thought that he should have been awarded Man of the Match last Saturday, great little runs and passes.  Growing into quite a decent player.

Izzardesque2 -> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread (10/2/2006 10:08:09 AM)

We've signed an Italian prop too.

Ref -> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread (10/2/2006 2:00:34 PM)

Ok people let's have your predictions for this weekend:

France Vs. Ireland

Italy Vs. England

Wales Vs. Scotland (but only by 3 points I reckon) 

Izzardesque2 -> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread (12/2/2006 6:15:54 PM)

Not bad predictions ref!!

Jackal -> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread (12/2/2006 6:24:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ref

Here's my take on how the final table will look:
1. England (but not the Grand Slam)
2. France
3. Ireland
4. Wales
5. Italy
6. Scotland 

Looks like you cocked that one up (from a gloating Scot's point of view). But England will probably win it now that everyone else has lost at least one game. Still, the English have to come to Murrayfield...

Izzardesque2 -> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread (13/2/2006 10:11:50 AM)

Scotland could still come last!

Ref -> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread (13/2/2006 5:15:17 PM)

I must admit I had written the Scots off at the start of the 6 Nations, but now...well who knows.  Although I didn't do too badly with my predictions though did I [;)]

Jackal -> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread (13/2/2006 6:52:12 PM)

Spot on with your predictions. What are the next games?
And I don't really mind when people keep writing us off. It seems to be a good incentive for the players. Can't wait for the game against the English at Murrayfield. We might well get humped but it'll be interesting to see what the English media says before the game because that usually fires up the Scots. I remember a few years ago, England were going for the Grand Slam in the last game, against us. There were ads in various papers saying "Come and see England win the Grand Slam at Murrayfield!" but we won. [:D]

the_hood -> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread (13/2/2006 8:14:36 PM)

The one thing you can be sure of with scotland is that home advantage in a sports game, counts as no advantage.
It means nothing to us if we get screwed at Hampden, Murrayfield or even at St Andrews (go on monty). It should, but it sadly doesn't.

I think the loss to wales was a reminder of the team we are, not the team that beat the french. Mind you without Gareth Thomas there would have been perhaps a little different result. He was the pivotal man in the game (and maybe Murray for different reasons.)

We might push the irish close, and with any luck topple the italians. But england. Nah, much as id love to see it...

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI