RE: The England Football Thread (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand

Boring Prophet -> RE: The England Football Thread (2/2/2007 4:40:25 PM)

Yeah, glad Barton's in, but Barry's a nice surprise too. Hope they'll get to play at some point, but I doubt it.

theram05 -> RE: The England Football Thread (2/2/2007 4:59:59 PM)

└nyone else loving Maccarone's comments about Stevie Mac as much as me?

Hardcore Raver -> RE: The England Football Thread (2/2/2007 5:04:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: theram05

└nyone else loving Maccarone's comments about Stevie Mac as much as me?

Well they would have been funny if they weren't so depressingly true.

Sutty -> RE: The England Football Thread (2/2/2007 6:35:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Boring Prophet

Yeah, glad Barton's in, but Barry's a nice surprise too. Hope they'll get to play at some point, but I doubt it.

As a blue I am happy Barton has been included in the squad. Hopefully he'll get at least 45 minutes on the pitch.

What I don't understand is how Kevin Nolan constantly gets overlooked, when he has done the business for the last 3 years or so.

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: The England Football Thread (3/2/2007 8:54:27 AM)

To be honest I think Barton is overated and not International class. But I'm glad he has been given a chance to prove me wrong, especially if he stirs up Gerrard and Lampard a bit with his comments. All of which were spot on the money and if they don't like them they really need to take a look at themselves.

As for Maccarone I really don't think there are many England fans that actually rate McClaren. As I said at the time they should of gotten Gus and fuck the press and little Englanders that actually know fuck all about the game. Most of the more intelligent journo's wanted him and most of the intelligent fans too.

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: The England Football Thread (5/2/2007 12:55:26 PM)

Well as it is a friendly I think we need to look at different formations and different personel to see if they can do the job we need for Israel.

These two I would really like to see.

a.)                
Neville       Ferdinand   Woodgate      Bridge

Hargreaves
 Lennon                Gerrard      Lampard
                                                 Rooney
                                  AJ

I know this leaves noone with chalk on their boots on the left but I've deceided to say fuck it.  Lennon wide right Gerrard centre Lampard on the left of centre with Rooney linking from the left to AJ uptop. This formation puts a lot of responsibilty on Bridge however he will get cover from Lampard and Rooney although most falls to Hargreaves to read the game properly.

I'm not saying this will work but I would like to see us try it for 90 mins.

b.)             Hargreaves
        Gerrard            Lampard
Lennon                               Dyer
                       Rooney

I'd like to see if Rooney can play up top on his own. I have my doubts about his effectivness but the idea has been floated and the only way I can see it having a chance is if he played more of a 4-3-3- than a 4-5-1. Again I'd like to see it to know if we can throw it in the trash or if it is something we can work on.

matty_b -> RE: The England Football Thread (5/2/2007 3:57:18 PM)

Rooney will be fit apparently but Johnson is out. Shame really, I'd have liked to seen Johnson given his chance. Just not on the right wing obviously. I've said this before, but I'll repeat: WHAT IN THE GOOD FUCK DOES JENAS HAVE ON MCCLAREN?! And what has Nolan done to upset him?

I know it's a friendly, but there needs to be a performance and a morale boosting win. If there's not, I really fear for the trip to Israel.

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: The England Football Thread (5/2/2007 6:37:44 PM)

Wayne bridge is out!!

Hardcore Raver -> RE: The England Football Thread (6/2/2007 3:02:19 PM)

According to the BBC, this is the first team to face Spain. Link.

Foster (Watford); Gary Neville (Man Utd), Phil Neville (Everton), Rio Ferdinand (Man Utd), Woodgate (Middlesbrough); Gerrard (Liverpool, capt), Carrick (Man Utd), Wright-Phillips (Chelsea), Lampard (Chelsea), Dyer (Newcastle); Crouch (Liverpool).

So, no start for Barton or Barry. Or Lennon (unless he's injured?). Crouch playing up on his own, because we all know how successful England are when that happens. P Neville clearly justifies a place out of position ahead of Gareth Barry who has been excellent on the left all season, for the past few seasons in fact. I mean Jesus Christ, the more I look at this the angrier I get.

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: The England Football Thread (6/2/2007 6:42:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hardcore Raver

According to the BBC, this is the first team to face Spain. Link.

Foster (Watford); Gary Neville (Man Utd), Phil Neville (Everton), Rio Ferdinand (Man Utd), Woodgate (Middlesbrough); Gerrard (Liverpool, capt), Carrick (Man Utd), Wright-Phillips (Chelsea), Lampard (Chelsea), Dyer (Newcastle); Crouch (Liverpool).

So, no start for Barton or Barry. Or Lennon (unless he's injured?). Crouch playing up on his own, because we all know how successful England are when that happens. P Neville clearly justifies a place out of position ahead of Gareth Barry who has been excellent on the left all season, for the past few seasons in fact. I mean Jesus Christ, the more I look at this the angrier I get.

Foster (Watford):  I agree Robinson is overated pap and needs to be challenged.
Gary Neville (Man Utd): Who else. Englands most consistant performer.
Phil Neville (Everton): What we the other options? Gareth Barry possibly and I think he will get the 2nd half but as long as this happens that ok with me.
Rio Ferdinand (Man Utd): No Brainer, that could be the player or the decision to pick him
Woodgate (Middlesbrough): Good choice. I just hope he doesn't stay at the smoggies next season and looks for a decent side.
Gerrard (Liverpool): Again No Brainer
Carrick (Man Utd): I think he is terribly overated and actually quite average with a good eye for a pass rather like Jamie Redknapp I suppose the problem was with the injuries who else was there.
Wright-Phillips (Chelsea): Has done nothing to warrant his place but with Lennon injured again the choices were limited
Lampard (Chelsea): See Gerrard
Dyer (Newcastle): Just hope his luck holds out. He deserves a decent run and could make a big difference to our squad when upto full strength.
Crouch (Liverpool): Again just what other option did he have?

4-5-1  I think the balance is ok but I would be surprised if we can win with the injuries we have to first teamers  Terry, Cole, Hargreaves, Lennon, Rooney, Owen, and J.Cole plus injuries to the first choice cover Kirkland, King, Bridge, and AJ.  On the plus side at least it is an attacking side that should create a few chances.

Rinc -> RE: The England Football Thread (6/2/2007 9:18:47 PM)

Can't wait to see Dyer in action, i really hope he puts in a good performance. A fully fit and confident Dyer is a fantastic player.

Disappointed that Barry won't start as he deserves to. Have England got anything new to learn from Phil Neville playing at LB? No of course not so it's a complete waste of a place.

As always i will agree with you Bob over Carrick. Overrated he most definitely is and i think he might struggle against the very good Spanish midfield. It'll be up to Gerrard and Lamps to help him out.

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: The England Football Thread (7/2/2007 1:12:37 PM)

I would have started Barry and Barton as may as well find out what these guys are capable of against top quality opposition. Real shame Johnson is out

Rinc -> RE: The England Football Thread (7/2/2007 10:22:06 PM)

Another boring, frustrating, passionless England friendly. I'm starting to think they only play friendlies on a Wednesday because there's nothing else on telly.

Lampard was useless again - i just don't understand him, he's consistently good for Chelsea and one of the best midfielders when at the top of his game but when he's in an England shirt his drive and quality seem to disappear. Carrick showed his excellent range of passing once again......

On the new/relatively new/returning boys - Don't understand why it took so long for Barton to come on, he barely got a chance. Barry was poor, Woodgate looked good, and Richards adds a fantastic burst of energy when he plays. Watching the game i imagined an England team with Richards, the Coles, Gerrard, Lennon, Dyer, Rooney and Owen (providing he gets back to near his best) and how it would scare the life out of teams with its pace. It would be a totally impractible team but its nice to dream.

Fivefur -> RE: The England Football Thread (7/2/2007 10:45:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

As no one else seems to be doing it here's the definative England Thread for this season, and who knows maybe next.

I thought it was a shame that all the rubbish during the world cup seems to have frightened off England fans posting. Not a single thread about the Friendly win last week or the start of McClaren's reign.  Hopefully now the world cup has gone the usual rubbish comments will also disapear from the usual suspects.

So then Wednesday nights game, well England did a job and did it very well. England controlled the game throughout even in the second half where our lack of conditioning showed we altered to a 5 in midfield and just kept the ball. Defoe proved why he shouldn't of been taken to the world cup with a poor performance, getting caught offside on numerous occasions and not really making a good enough mark for me.  Why we keep on with him when it is obviously only a decent Premiership goalscorer I don't know. He hasn't done anything on the international stage 16 appearences 1 goal says it all for me and coming up to 25 he simply hasn't become the goal scorer we had all hoped for.  Unfortuantly for both the player and us Ashton was injured in training otherwise I think we might have found our next number 9. Obviously Bent will also come into this equation but for me it is still a season too early for him to make a regular starter.

Now before we get any crap from Hudson I have not seen any "We are going to win the world cup, if we played like that we would of won the world cup, we hammered the European champions" comments from any England fans so just do me a favour and unless you have links just save it.

Right does anyone else have anything to add?

hahahahahahhhhaaaaahhhhahahahahaaaaaahhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

LOL

PMSL

PMSL (again)

lots of love....................................... from Scotland

Neo -> RE: The England Football Thread (7/2/2007 10:50:34 PM)

titter

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: The England Football Thread (7/2/2007 11:43:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fivefur

quote:

As no one else seems to be doing it here's the definative England Thread for this season, and who knows maybe next.

I thought it was a shame that all the rubbish during the world cup seems to have frightened off England fans posting. Not a single thread about the Friendly win last week or the start of McClaren's reign.  Hopefully now the world cup has gone the usual rubbish comments will also disapear from the usual suspects.

So then Wednesday nights game, well England did a job and did it very well. England controlled the game throughout even in the second half where our lack of conditioning showed we altered to a 5 in midfield and just kept the ball. Defoe proved why he shouldn't of been taken to the world cup with a poor performance, getting caught offside on numerous occasions and not really making a good enough mark for me.  Why we keep on with him when it is obviously only a decent Premiership goalscorer I don't know. He hasn't done anything on the international stage 16 appearences 1 goal says it all for me and coming up to 25 he simply hasn't become the goal scorer we had all hoped for.  Unfortuantly for both the player and us Ashton was injured in training otherwise I think we might have found our next number 9. Obviously Bent will also come into this equation but for me it is still a season too early for him to make a regular starter.

Now before we get any crap from Hudson I have not seen any "We are going to win the world cup, if we played like that we would of won the world cup, we hammered the European champions" comments from any England fans so just do me a favour and unless you have links just save it.

Right does anyone else have anything to add?

hahahahahahhhhaaaaahhhhahahahahaaaaaahhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

LOL

PMSL

PMSL (again)

lots of love....................................... from Scotland

eh?  [sm=rolleyes10.gif] Laughing at what? and why quote the opening post?    Jesus god love the scots if they didn't have England just what would they do with themselves. [8|]

Boring Prophet -> RE: The England Football Thread (7/2/2007 11:55:58 PM)

Probably eat fried fucking Mars bars and start fights with people while drunk...

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: The England Football Thread (7/2/2007 11:58:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Boring Prophet

Probably eat fried fucking Mars bars and start fights with people while drunk...

you forgot about being unemployed and shooting skag all day while drinking the awful orange shit. 

Then again looking at Neo's and that other muppets post I would say they have already been on it.

Walter_Kovacs -> RE: The England Football Thread (8/2/2007 12:32:58 AM)

Bob why do you fall for their wind-ups every single time? Isn't it obvious that their "anti-English" jibes are just an attempt to get you irate, which they do without fail? I must admit that I find in funny when you come storming into a thread throwing your rattle around because someone has a niggly little pop when England turn in yet again another poor performance.

Anyway, I thought England were dire tonight and it's hard to take anything positive from the game. Yet again we've found out that Gerrard and Lampard can't play together, Carrick's a lump and Crouch is purely there for the amusement of the opposition. All the frenzy surrounding Barton only for him to make a brief cameo hardly seemed him worth turning up. Got to agree with what Gerrard said though; injuries aren't an excuse and England should have performed better.

matty_b -> RE: The England Football Thread (8/2/2007 9:08:55 AM)

McClaren: "we had the attitude and effort, but not the quality. Especially in the final third"

Steve. Attitude and effort do not win you tournaments. Skill and ability do. And if you are unable to harness the talents of Lampard, Gerrard, etc into a team that can at least compete with the better sides in Europe, then you should go.

He's done the impossible - made himself even more unwanted now than when he was first appointed. He's absolutely clueless and the FA should cut their losses and boot him out now. Give the job to someone, anyone who really wants the job because they want the team to succeed and not just because they really fancy themselves as some sort of tactical genius. Who should we get? Allardyce, Coppell, Mourinho, Taylor, Ince, Motson - anyone can do better than this waste of time and 1950s hairstyles.

The players have to take the responsibility too - maybe - just maybe - they're not as good as they think they are. Frankly, I can't recall a time when confidence and genuine interest in the squad was so low and maybe I'm overreacting to the 4 games without a win now, but I just can't see us qualifying. It's a return to the bad old early 90s days when England were absolutely shite against everyone.

McClaren. What a cunt.

jonson -> RE: The England Football Thread (8/2/2007 9:11:39 AM)

Fucking rubbish.
We've taken a step backwards with McLaren, and it's not just his ginger hair I find offensive.
Absolutely rubbish, they're not worth anymore of my time than that.

MOTH -> RE: The England Football Thread (8/2/2007 9:22:09 AM)

Could be worse, lads, you could be an Ireland supporter watching them scrape an injury-time winner against the mighty San Marino...

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: The England Football Thread (8/2/2007 9:29:18 AM)

we're SHIT and we know we are.....

So what the fuck happened?

Goalie : Didn't have to do anything except pick the ball out of the back of the net.

Defence : Solid performance, clearly there's decent cover with sicknote Woodgate back for a while

Midfield : Misfiring again. Time to drop Lamps IMO, can't seem to replicate Chelsea form and hampers Gerrard. Wright-Phillips - worked hard but doesn't look that sharp. What is the point switching Barry to left back and giving Barton 10 minutes? McClaren you fucking plum.

Attack : Pretty toothless, Crouch got nothing from Ref and shame we didn't get to see a Rooney/ Johnson partnership.

Overall : we're boring

Felix -> RE: The England Football Thread (8/2/2007 9:29:29 AM)

I gave up at half-time and watch Ugly Betty instead. Thats just how bad the game was.

Toby Monroe -> RE: The England Football Thread (8/2/2007 9:45:33 AM)

As Sven got a new job yet?

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: The England Football Thread (8/2/2007 10:06:30 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

Goalie : Didn't have to do anything except pick the ball out of the back of the net.

Defence : Solid performance, clearly there's decent cover with sicknote Woodgate back for a while

Midfield : Misfiring again. Time to drop Lamps IMO, can't seem to replicate Chelsea form and hampers Gerrard. Wright-Phillips - worked hard but doesn't look that sharp. What is the point switching Barry to left back and giving Barton 10 minutes? McClaren you fucking plum.

Attack : Pretty toothless, Crouch got nothing from Ref and shame we didn't get to see a Rooney/ Johnson partnership.

Indeedy but its a bit harsh on Frank to play him on the left and the demand he is dropped. Jose thought they could play together so why don't we try it properly. 4-3-3 as Chelsea play.
4.  Neville, Terry, Ferdinand, Bridge/Cole
3.  Hargreaves (holding), Lampard, Gerrard
3.  Rooney (inside left), Lennon/Dyer (inside right), AJ

Its seems silly to hammer him for not matching his club form when we don't play him in that position. They should at least try that formation against Israel and if it doesnt work take off Frank and bring on a left sided winger and you've got 4-4-2. Simple really.

Sinatra -> RE: The England Football Thread (8/2/2007 10:11:42 AM)

Just awful....

Frank Castle -> RE: The England Football Thread (8/2/2007 10:44:58 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

Indeedy but its a bit harsh on Frank to play him on the left and the demand he is dropped. Jose thought they could play together so why don't we try it properly. 4-3-3 as Chelsea play.
4.  Neville, Terry, Ferdinand, Bridge/Cole
3.  Hargreaves (holding), Lampard, Gerrard
3.  Rooney (inside left), Lennon/Dyer (inside right), AJ

Its seems silly to hammer him for not matching his club form when we don't play him in that position. They should at least try that formation against Israel and if it doesnt work take off Frank and bring on a left sided winger and you've got 4-4-2. Simple really.

Didn't lampard play in his position during the world cup and do sod all. He's been given his chance and blown it on every occasion. Time to go to the bench.

nicholsonsmhead -> RE: The England Football Thread (8/2/2007 10:46:09 AM)

Frank Lampard was on the pitch last night was he?

My Life in Pictures -> RE: The England Football Thread (8/2/2007 10:59:05 AM)

Any chance we could send McClaren to Russia in trade for Hiddink? If not let's just send him out there for the hell of it.

I don't understand why we require the best players to have experience at the top level but not the manager. Tactically he's all over the place, more interested in distancing himself from the Sven campaign than building a functioning football team.

How Leighton Baines can't get in the squad ahead of Phil Neville who doesn't even play left-back for Everton (while another young Englishman Lescott has been doing well there) is a joke.

Injuries are no excuse for an Internation fixture like this. The fact that McClaren hides behind it shows that he's severely lacking. Spain didn't have to get out of 1st gear to coast to victory.

All those who wanted an English manager got their wish. Someone who's tactically hopeless but has that legendary English fighting spirit. [sm=rolleyes10.gif]

I just hope we get rid of him before our talented U21's come through.

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI