The England Football Thread (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand

Flatulent_Bob -> The England Football Thread (21/8/2006 8:40:25 AM)

As no one else seems to be doing it here's the definative England Thread for this season, and who knows maybe next.

I thought it was a shame that all the rubbish during the world cup seems to have frightened off England fans posting. Not a single thread about the Friendly win last week or the start of McClaren's reign.  Hopefully now the world cup has gone the usual rubbish comments will also disapear from the usual suspects.

So then Wednesday nights game, well England did a job and did it very well. England controlled the game throughout even in the second half where our lack of conditioning showed we altered to a 5 in midfield and just kept the ball. Defoe proved why he shouldn't of been taken to the world cup with a poor performance, getting caught offside on numerous occasions and not really making a good enough mark for me.  Why we keep on with him when it is obviously only a decent Premiership goalscorer I don't know. He hasn't done anything on the international stage 16 appearences 1 goal says it all for me and coming up to 25 he simply hasn't become the goal scorer we had all hoped for.  Unfortuantly for both the player and us Ashton was injured in training otherwise I think we might have found our next number 9. Obviously Bent will also come into this equation but for me it is still a season too early for him to make a regular starter.

Now before we get any crap from Hudson I have not seen any "We are going to win the world cup, if we played like that we would of won the world cup, we hammered the European champions" comments from any England fans so just do me a favour and unless you have links just save it.

Right does anyone else have anything to add?

BullRing -> RE: The England Football Thread (21/8/2006 9:00:53 AM)

As much as last weeks performance was showed promise in the way we took the game to Greece, I continue to reserve judgement on McClaren's coaching of our national side until he comes up against a better side. In the  2 years since they won Euro 2004 Greece have made a mockery of the term European Champions and have continued to show that their win in Portugal was the biggest fluke in history. England just did to them what every other top European nation should be doing to them come each game.

I will say though that if in the upcoming first round of Euro qualifiers England show a lot more endeavour and determination to beat the small Euro nations by big margains, like they used to (England 7-1 San Marino anyone?) then I will be more excited about this era than when Steve was originally appointed.

Hopefully he and this crop of England players will at last do the Country proud.

Sexual Harassment Panda -> RE: The England Football Thread (21/8/2006 11:54:56 AM)

Bob everyone just talked about the England game in the thread about the England squad as there was no point making a new thread.

The reason there have been very few threads is because it's too early for international football to make it's return, and I hate that as soon as the Premiership gets going it gets disrupted by England friendlies and qualifiers.

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: The England Football Thread (21/8/2006 12:12:17 PM)

It must of been popular Nath, I can't even find it. [:D]

jimminycrickets -> RE: The England Football Thread (21/8/2006 1:59:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

It must of been popular Nath, I can't even find it.

That's odd, you posted in it. [sm=33.gif]

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=755634

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: The England Football Thread (21/8/2006 3:07:21 PM)

Sorry I was did look at that however as there were only one comment about the actual game, which was yours. I assumed Nath must of meant another thread where the post match discussion took place.

Anyway then as I said no one is really discussing the game so therefore I created this thread.

Professor Moriarty -> RE: The England Football Thread (21/8/2006 5:12:58 PM)

Confidence can breed success so McLaren, England and the fans will be happy that the team turned out a better display than those seen in the WC and should have 3 easy qualification games before their first real tests against Croatia and Holland (who looked deadly against a poor Ireland). 

I think that will be a good time to judge McLaren then, he'll be 6 games in and will have at least had Rooney back in the team.  Afterall, we only really saw 45 minutes of football and at half time it looked like all the players were happy they'd done their bit for country and were looking forward to the Premiership kick off. 

I'll agree with Bob that Defoe was poor and can't make the step up to international quality.  I'd bring either Beattie or Johnson into the team for the next outing and possibly even both of them, using Crouch as a supersub.  Just on Crouch, what was the ducking about when he had chances for the goal that he subsequently scored when the ball came back in.  There aren't enough opportunities in the international game to be squandering them like that.

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: The England Football Thread (7/9/2006 5:58:23 PM)

Well hopefully for the next match we will start to look at Bent, Ashton (if fit), and Johnson.  Also why isn't Barry being tried at left wing?
You have to say Downing and Defoe have been given their changes and not taken them. Downings age means he deserves another but I don't think Defoe is. We need to start playing the man who is going to play upfront with Rooney, that man isn't Crouch who is a great man to bring on but can't play with Wayne.
The side I would like to see tried would be
                       Robinson
Neville       Ferdiand    Terry    Cole
Lennon      Hargreaves Gerrard Barry
                      Rooney
                  Ashton/Bent

jonson -> RE: The England Football Thread (8/9/2006 1:03:25 PM)

Interesting choice Bob. No Lampard eh?
I admit, on recent performances, he doesn't warrant his place, but his club form still edges out the others IMO.
You're right about Downing and Defoe. Dwoning has done nothing for meand shouldn't really keep his place. I think the Middlesborough connection is still helping him out there. Defoe has had a go, but is too lightweight for me.
My ideal England team would still be (obviously without injuries):-

Robinson
G Neville   Ferdinand   Terry   J Cole
Gerrard   Lampard   Hargreaves   J Cole
Rooney   Crouch

Not sure about Barry though mate. I know Richardson didn't really look the part either but the left side is still a big problem.

theram05 -> RE: The England Football Thread (8/9/2006 1:32:39 PM)

quote:

We need to start playing the man who is going to play upfront with Rooney, that man isn't Crouch who is a great man to bring on but can't play with Wayne.

The mans goals per game ratio would beg to differ. He deserves a shot to try it at least.

Hardcore Raver -> RE: The England Football Thread (8/9/2006 1:39:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Not sure about Barry though mate. I know Richardson didn't really look the part either but the left side is still a big problem.

Well as a Villa fan I would like to see him tried, at least in a friendly or something. He's probably been the most consistent performer at Villa for the past few seasons. The main thing that would worry me about him would be his lack of pace, though his defensive capabilities would allow Ashley Cole to get forward more than he can do with Downing on the left. To be honest though, I think there is a very big gap in talent between Joe Cole and anybody else who can play on the left wing for England.

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: The England Football Thread (8/9/2006 2:21:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Interesting choice Bob. No Lampard eh?
I admit, on recent performances, he doesn't warrant his place, but his club form still edges out the others IMO.
You're right about Downing and Defoe. Dwoning has done nothing for meand shouldn't really keep his place. I think the Middlesborough connection is still helping him out there. Defoe has had a go, but is too lightweight for me.
My ideal England team would still be (obviously without injuries):-

Robinson
G Neville   Ferdinand   Terry   J Cole
Gerrard   Lampard   Hargreaves   J Cole
Rooney   Crouch

Joe Cole at left back and left wing. Its risky but I LIKE IT!!   [:D]

No I would drop Lampard because I think Gerrard has to be in the centre. He comes inside anyway leaving Neville exposed if we loose posession. Crouch can't play with Rooney, Rooney comes deep and needs runners. Crouch is talented, remember I was one of the few who said he should be in the England team when he wasn't scoring for Liverpool but he isn't blessed with pace. He also comes deep into where Rooney likes to play. So its one of those two and no one in their right mind would drop Wayne. Joe Cole can play left "IF" Gerrard is in the middle otherwise we are playing with 4 central midfielders and we won't have the width both Cole and Gerrard will took in and we will loose our shape. So its one or the other of the Chelsea lads if you have Lampard Cole needs to miss out.

quote:

The mans goals per game ratio would beg to differ. He deserves a shot to try it at least.

See above comments. I would have Crouch to come on off the bench and if Rooney is injured or suspended then he would come straight in but they can't play together.

theram05 -> RE: The England Football Thread (8/9/2006 2:27:29 PM)

quote:

quote:

See above comments. I would have Crouch to come on off the bench and if Rooney is injured or suspended then he would come straight in but they can't play together.

I saw above, but it didn't seem a good enough argument for me. At present Crouch is undroppable imho. He's earned the right to be played alongside Rooney for a few games.

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: The England Football Thread (8/9/2006 2:31:03 PM)

So you don't think they both drop deep to get the ball?  How would your team shape up and who would be running beyond Rooney and Crouch to score?

theram05 -> RE: The England Football Thread (8/9/2006 3:11:44 PM)

Don't England have these great attacking midfielders who push on all the time?

Actually lets not go back there! [:D]

My point is, it'd be a big ballsy decision to drop Crouch. I like Crouch, always have, he gets a raw deal just becuase of his height. He's a good roll of form, I say the kid stays in the picture.

James2183 -> RE: The England Football Thread (9/9/2006 10:02:36 PM)

After watching the highlights of the Chelsea/Charlton game tonight I certainly think that England need a different penalty taker. Lampard has to be one of the easiest players to read when taking a penalty and its been shown on numerous occasions by his previous misses and chances. His penalty against Blackburn was almost saved not forgetting his miss at the World Cup. 

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: The England Football Thread (9/9/2006 10:04:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

After watching the highlights of the Chelsea/Charlton game tonight I certainly think that England need a different penalty taker. Lampard has to be one of the easiest players to read when taking a penalty and its been shown on numerous occasions by his previous misses and chances. His penalty against Blackburn was almost saved not forgetting his miss at the World Cup. 

I agree but even the best of teams can mess up penalties against Blackburn. [8|]

James2183 -> RE: The England Football Thread (9/9/2006 10:08:18 PM)

True [;)] but Lampard is too easy to read as a penalty taker and should be replaced. Hargreaves perhaps? 

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: The England Football Thread (10/9/2006 12:36:17 PM)

Rooney? 

Starscream -> RE: The England Football Thread (10/9/2006 1:36:36 PM)

Gerrard or Rooney

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: The England Football Thread (10/9/2006 9:31:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Starscream

Gerrard or Rooney

Not Gerrard, he always buckles under the penalty pressure!!!!

One small question that I keep driving me mad, especially after Uniteds penalties yesterday. Why doesn't anyone go high? Everyone goes for the bottom corners but the keepers can get down if they guess the right way. Why not go high if you get it over waist hight the keeper has no chance.

James2183 -> RE: The England Football Thread (10/9/2006 9:35:53 PM)

Less chance of scuffing? hitting it higher when you are aiming along the ground has more of a chance of hitting the mark than when you aim above the waist I guess. 

Rinc -> RE: The England Football Thread (10/9/2006 9:53:48 PM)

quote:

Not Gerrard, he always buckles under the penalty pressure!!!!

One small question that I keep driving me mad, especially after Uniteds penalties yesterday. Why doesn't anyone go high? Everyone goes for the bottom corners but the keepers can get down if they guess the right way. Why not go high if you get it over waist hight the keeper has no chance.

Yeah Gerrard shouldn't be the taker, he's not too good at penalties.

It takes a lot more skill to hit it high as James said and there's more chance of it going wildly off course. It is the best type of penalty to take though if you can manage it. Alan Shearer was one of the best penalty takers i've seen because he thumped it into the top corners but even he missed a few. Not many mind but then he was a fantastic striker. Not sure if anyone can match up to Shearer yet although i'd like to see Rooney take a few.

matty_b -> RE: The England Football Thread (11/9/2006 9:21:51 AM)

I'd pick Hargreaves for pens. He stands up well to the pressure - see the shootouts in '04 and '06 and the champions league final.

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: The England Football Thread (20/9/2006 10:11:43 AM)

Can someone please explain to me why there is a sudden clambering for Beckham to return to the England squad because of an injury to Owen Hargreaves?

Lennon got injured and no-one mentioned Beckham then holding midfielder Hargreaves goes down and the press start on one. Lennon isn't even a starter so I don't see how it effects anything.
Parker in for Hargreaves and give SWP a go on the right instead of Lennon.

Fucking easy this management game.

theram05 -> RE: The England Football Thread (20/9/2006 10:13:29 AM)

Cos Beckham is stirring up his media machine again, he's a canny player of the game is your David. But yea I'd agree at this point, Scotty deserves a run out, and great to SWP showing signs of life again, now if he could just get away from Chelsea.

PatBateman -> RE: The England Football Thread (20/9/2006 10:19:52 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: theram05

Cos Beckham is stirring up his media machine again, he's a canny player of the game is your David. But yea I'd agree at this point, Scotty deserves a run out, and great to SWP showing signs of life again, now if he could just get away from Chelsea.

He'll become a better player playing alongside the likes of Cole, Robben etc. The same happened with Joe Cole and he went from having potential, to being a world class player.

theram05 -> RE: The England Football Thread (20/9/2006 10:22:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: PatBateman

quote:

He'll become a better player playing alongside the likes of Cole, Robben etc. The same happened with Joe Cole and he went from having potential, to being a world class player.

I don't believe Joe Cole is a WC player, a fine player yes, but he was that before he went to Chelsea.
As for SWP, the problem was and is, he wasn't playing, and won't play regularly enough to benefit, not this season especially, whatever chance he had in previous seasons.

But the chap made his own bed, he went for the cash.

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: The England Football Thread (20/9/2006 10:24:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: PatBateman

Do you really consider Joe Cole to be world class?  I do think SWP will be a important player for Chelsea this season as only him and Robben provide any width although I do get a feeling that they will try and strengthen this area in January if the wingless wonders doesn't work.
quote:

But the chap made his own bed, he went for the cash.

I don't think this is fair [:D].  I honestly don't belive he did, no one else was in for him and you are offered a move to the Premiership champions. Who wouldn't of taken it?  Given the choice of playing under one of the best managers in the world and an unproven freshman who would you trust to better your career?
I'd also like to say how well Johnson is doing at Portsmouth. He has been getting a lot of unfair critisim on these boards and in the press and I for one am glad he is getting games and playing well. What people forget is that he is a young defender, and young defenders makes mistakes look at Ashley Cole when he started.  Hopefully this guy can now push on get back into the Chelsea first team next season, lets be honest there isn't much competition at Right back and push Richards for Nevilles replacement.

Hooch0959 -> RE: The England Football Thread (20/9/2006 12:53:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

I'd pick Hargreaves for pens. He stands up well to the pressure - see the shootouts in '04 and '06 and the champions league final.

Thats because he's German [:D]

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI