JV -> The How To List - Avatars, Signatures, Etc. (29/9/2005 11:10:38 PM)
*Updated 5 June 2006*
Most asked questions:
How To Upload An Avatar (Little Picture Under Your Name)
1. Go to My Empire in the upper left hand corner.
2. Click My Details
3. Scroll down to the section called My Avatar
4. You may upload directly from your PC or paste a URL from the web in the appropriate box.
5. Click Apply My Changes
Recommendations: If you paste a URL for your av, it is suggested you save it to a site such as www.imageshack.us first and then use the URL given there.
Avatars should not exceed 150K. To check, right click on the image once loaded to a host site (like imageshack) and click properties. It will list the total size. If it is a animated avatar, it must play through its cycle completely one time before the size will show in properties. Otherwise, the size will show up as Not Available.
Note: There is not a certain number of posts required to have an avatar. If you have problems, PM a moderator for help.
How Do I Add A Signature To My Posts?
Go to My Empire in the upper right corner.
There you will find the My Details tab.
Scroll down to Signature.
Enter in what you would like to have.
Click Apply Changes.
What am I allowed to have in my signature?
Basically, images are banned from sigs. Users are allowed smilies, but they should be the same size as those available on the "Make a new post" screen. Long drawn out quotations from Apocalypse Now are allowed, though very boring, so I personally advise against...
Note: Smilies in sigs are allowed if they are no larger than 5K and if they are comparable in visual size to post smilies used on the forum.
How Do I Change My Title? (The words under your username that shows for each post, ie Newbie, Ninja-In-Training, etc.)
PM a moderator or GO_HERE to the Title Changes thread. Post what you want your title to be and a mod will change it.
How Can I Make URLs In My Posts Show Up As A Phrase/Word Instead Of A Web Address?
To have it say Click_here or something similar instead of http://www.empireonline.co.uk/forum/tm.asp?m=1618), do the following:
Place the URL in your post by pasting the URL or by using the Insert Link button in the Reply To Message Window
Highlight the URL and type what you want it to say.
Note: It will not show up as underlined blue like most links. If you want to emphasis that it is a link, you can make it bold and change the color to blue for example.
If you prefer to use code for URLs or to post image links, then see below:
Posting images and links in posts and in signatures
Jackie posted this useful info in another thread:
Link codes are:
To have a link show up as text do this: [ url=http://_________ ]YOUR LINK HERE[ /url ]
And image codes are: [ image ]YOUR IMAGE HERE[ /image ]
To get an image to link, put the two together comme ca:
[ url=http://____________][ image]YOUR IMAGE[ /image][ /url ]
To have a link show up in color in your sig, this is the code: [ url=http://www.websitelink.com][ color=blue]LINK WORDING HERE[ /color][ /url] Where it says color, put blue, green, red, etc for the color you want.
To get the tags to show up I've had to include spaces, so just remove these. Helpful?
General Help Topics:
- To view your PMs, CREATE A BLOG, edit your profile, preferences, etc etc.... Click on the MY EMPIRE button in the top lefthand corner. This is where you add your avatar, change your signature.
- You can also access your PMs from the Inbox button on the toolbar when you are viewing the forums.
- The default setting for threads is tree styleeee. If you want flat, you will need to change it through the My Empire function.
- Certain forums will allow you to reply only. You cannot start new threads in this area.
- If you are viewing a thread that is longer than 5 pages and want to hop straight to the last page... You will see the page numbers at the top/bottom righthand corner of the thread, numbered 1-5. After that there is a ">" to move to the next page. Next to that there is ">>" which, if you click on it, will take you to the last page.
- For the search function, click on the "Search" button on the toolbar at the top. You might need to scroll along a little. I have had a look and it appears to do everything the old search facility did - you can search all forums, just the one, yada yada yada.
- Although you can see your name in your profile, no one else can.
- If you are getting posts e-mailed to you, you will need to go into My Empire and tick the box to unsubscribe from that facility.
- If you want to remove the option for other users to e-mail you, go into My Empire. There will be a list of options such as, "allow PMs from other users", "allow other users to e-mail you"... Just tick the relevant box.
General Questions (non technical):
Who are moderators and what do they do?
Moderators are selected by the current moderator team to assist in keeping peace on the forums, moving threads and doing other needed maintenance. They are not paid for their services and new moderators are added only on an as needed basis.
A complete list of moderators may be found by clicking Moderators under each forum heading or by clicking HERE.
Moderators can assist with forum questions and issues.
This will be updated as and when we think of more stuff to add to it!