jobloffski -> RE: GHOSTBUSTERS III - Ivan Reitman is Directing! (15/1/2010 2:08:35 PM)
Made up on the spot...You'll be able to tell[:D]
But the following contains one daring joke of epic proprtions[;)]
1) No time wasted with a plot to reunite the team. Start with the boys still having been working the whole time. Perhaps a fully fledged busting opening sequence. No effort made to hide portliness, in fact. focus on it, with perhaps parody of Bay slo-mo heroes walking shots. Shoot sequence as though it's totally straight action sequence, with ludicrously heroic facial expression close ups.
Ludicrously enthusiastic hi-fiving when ghost is busted...this cues up the theme song...
slightly obvious twist, it's a dream Ray is having about how amazing the GBs are to him, but worth a little obviousness to create a nod to the iconic status GBs have to the fans, then have Ray wake up, they're as fractious as they ever were, and being older, they're as likely to have people call them Gutbusters as Ghostbusters.
2) To be honest, they're mostly a bit tired of the work, bit jaded, a joke is used about the fact nobody can tell if Venkman is jaded, he always seems jaded about everything...blah blah bah...
3) Some suggestions that maybe the time has come to retire and let rival companies take up the slack. Hell, they can't even be bothered to continue legal action to try and stop a rival using the name GhostDusters'. Only Ray still has the enthisiasm he has always had. Blah blah blah...
4) Main plot arc, build up to the usual end of the world scenario, this time involving Shangaloria, a minion of Death, who covets Death's job. So much so that he's just going to do it. All in one fell swoop. Collect every single mortal soul, without the tedium of having to wait for people to die...He does it. There is nobody left. Nobody left but the Ghostbusters and their rivals, dealing as they do with materials crossing the borders betwen life and death, their equipment has emanated waves that their bodies have absorbed and protected them from the incantations of shangaloria.
5) The shakedown...Ghostbusters and rivals have to cross portals of mortality to face down death and all his minions, none of whom are ghosts in the traditional sense. But that's okay, having crossed the portals of mortality, GBs and rivals are not alive in the traditional sense (for the time being. They have to reverse the effect of Shangaloria's incantations, by either finding the appropriate ass to kick, or by blowing up whatever needs to be blown up to achieve the reversal. A wrong turning on the roads of mortality leads them to hell. Naturally, they need to go through hell to get to their goal (ahem)
random sample lines:
Why does hell look like new york? (gotta keep the iconic setting, people)
Winston: I knew something like this would happen
Venkman (dry). Oh, yeah, me too...I called it...(getting bit more panicky but still well within deadpan range) this very actual specific thing...hah, you guys don't know shit. Do ya? Uh? Do Ya...Who are WE gonna call?'
Venkman: Those pricks? Those two bit, no grit, dumb shit jugmeisters? Those buttfaced monkey humpin...
Pause, because Ray has starting wincing at the comments
V: They're behind me, aren't they, Ray?
Slight relief from Venkman,
R: They're just slightly to your left
(cut out of the close up used for the insult delivery to wider shot. Yup. There's the GhostDusters).
V: Er...hiya fellas.
GDs: (sullen but awakward, not combative) Venkman....
Anyway, all's well that ends well, Weaver/Murray banter present and correct,
Slimer features as a necessary evil, to partially open the portals of mortality (but in no way should slimer be able to communicate,with them, they just work out how he can help and have to tempt him to where they need him to be. All but Venkman get slimed. He's chuffed).
The Ghostbusters get the heroic facial expressionstuff going on again at the end. But not before Ray has made ludicrous attempts to wake himself up, due to the similarity between the showdown scenario and his dream. The solution to the situation is in his dream. Egon has to hypnotise Ray to access the solution, which happens as apparently infinite numbers of deaths minions converge on the heroes...closer, ever closer, with quips from venkman as he gets more deadpan, the more scared he gets...The incantation reversed (via Ray 'speaking in tongues' with an attendant joke/what's he saying/he always sounds like that to me). Maybe Death himself helps, in order to keep himself in work when its over.
In a daring joke of epic proprtions, this story allows future stories to be told of the GhostDusters, thereby passing on the franchise torch, but without having to make heading over the mantle of the franchise the story, so the original crew can dominate proceedings during their final shot at the big screen.
Total bollocks perhaps, but a partial recipe for a potential having cake/eating it type deal.