Sick of Star Wars! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Magazine

impqueen -> Sick of Star Wars! (31/7/2006 2:28:24 PM)

Fuck STAR WARS!

Yes the original changed cinema but please stop focusing on the crippled franchise! Move on get over the bollocks that was Episode I-3! Return of the Jedi isn't even that good...fucking ewoks!

Hex -> RE: Sick of Star Wars! (31/7/2006 2:36:37 PM)

I was just thinking this the other night. I am sick to back teeth of this shit every bloody issue. If there isnt a review of some new edition theres a whole section dedicated to "How Star Wars Changed My Life" or a poster or a free "Everything you needed to know about Star Wars" book.

There is officially nothing new you can say about Star Wars. Give it up!

Helen OHara -> RE: Sick of Star Wars! (31/7/2006 2:47:52 PM)

Well, for a start it ain't every issue, and secondly there is a new version coming out and we would be remiss not to cover it. Besides, I thought this feature was a funny and different look at the phenomenon. Even if I didn't get in the story about how my parents went to see it while my mum was pregnant with me, and my dad drove home pretending to be an X-wing pilot nearly causing her to go into premature labour.

directorscut -> RE: Sick of Star Wars! (31/7/2006 2:53:00 PM)

quote:

new version coming out and we would be remiss not to cover it.

The best way to cover it would be to do an article criticising it and Lucas and tell your readership not to be dupes by buying a 15 year old lazerdisc transfer passsing itself off as a DVD.

BobaJango -> RE: Sick of Star Wars! (31/7/2006 2:56:35 PM)

I might be wrong, but in the issue a while back that came with a free Star Wars booklet, didn't it say something along the lines of; "This is the last Star Wars feature, we promise"?

Helen OHara -> RE: Sick of Star Wars! (31/7/2006 3:08:13 PM)

We had our fingers crossed.

theram05 -> RE: Sick of Star Wars! (31/7/2006 3:12:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helen OHara

We had our fingers crossed.

Or ye were stuck for content.........[sm=angel.gif]

James2183 -> RE: Sick of Star Wars! (31/7/2006 3:14:12 PM)

Well being a Star Wars fan I am a little biased but it was a great read and shows how cinema can effect peoples lives. 

Helen OHara -> RE: Sick of Star Wars! (31/7/2006 3:16:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: theram05

Nope, this was a planned feature for some time. We have pulled features out of the bag on occasion when something else didn't work out / got moved, but interestingly you've all pretty much loved those ones. Which frankly makes one wonder why we bother.

Joe -> RE: Sick of Star Wars! (31/7/2006 3:18:10 PM)

Examples?

impqueen -> RE: Sick of Star Wars! (31/7/2006 3:21:44 PM)

It was how people can be overly nostalgic for Star Wars; it really wasn’t how CINEMA can affect lives as cinema does in fact consist of more than Lucas Land.   

theram05 -> RE: Sick of Star Wars! (31/7/2006 3:22:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helen OHara

quote:

Nope, this was a planned feature for some time. We have pulled features out of the bag on occasion when something else didn't work out / got moved, but interestingly you've all pretty much loved those ones. Which frankly makes one wonder why we bother.

I'm getting the impression you're not feeling the love today Helen?

James2183 -> RE: Sick of Star Wars! (31/7/2006 3:23:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

It was how people can be overly nostalgic for Star Wars; it really wasn't how CINEMA can affect lives as cinema does in fact consist of more than Lucas Land.   

Indeed there is more than Lucas films, but I doubt many films have had the impact on fans as much as Star Wars. What is exactly wrong with being nostalgic about a great set of films?

words -> RE: Sick of Star Wars! (31/7/2006 3:27:36 PM)

Blimey, you're a bit grumpy aren't you Ms. O'Hara? Personally never get tired of new angles on the original series of Star Wars movie. To me this reminiscence was quite enjoyable.

Two things people need to understand:

1. Slap Star Wars or James Bond on a cover & you are likely to sell loads more copies of  a magazine than otherwise (mind you sticking BOTH on is just greedy!).

2. Empire magazine is in a cut throat industry. Without articles like these on a regular basis Total Film & such like will seize the upper ground. Like it or lump it a magazine aimed exclusively at movie snobs is going to go out of business.

directorscut -> RE: Sick of Star Wars! (31/7/2006 3:29:34 PM)

quote:

2. Empire magazine is in a cut throat industry. Without articles like these on a regular basis Total Film & such like will seize the upper ground. Like it or lump it a magazine aimed exclusively at movie snobs is going to go out of business.

Sight & Sound has been around for a bit...

theram05 -> RE: Sick of Star Wars! (31/7/2006 3:29:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183
What is exactly wrong with being nostalgic about a great set of films?

Not much IF there is anything new to say about it, is there?

James2183 -> RE: Sick of Star Wars! (31/7/2006 3:34:35 PM)

quote:

quote:

Has fans first memories been covered before?

theram05 -> RE: Sick of Star Wars! (31/7/2006 3:40:11 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Has fans food they bought and ate on that first trip been covered before?

sanchia -> RE: Sick of Star Wars! (31/7/2006 3:47:29 PM)

Got to admit I like Star Wars (at least the origianl 3) but I just skipped over the entire article because I am getting bored with reading about it.   Also did it really deserve the big banner on the front cover?

James2183 -> RE: Sick of Star Wars! (31/7/2006 3:49:36 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I believe that was covered in the actual article this month.

Ed Wood -> RE: Sick of Star Wars! (31/7/2006 3:52:19 PM)

quote:

They did a Simon Pegg Edgar Wright and Kevin Smith 'nostalgia' feature not long ago.
And they've finally stopped covering the Lord of the rings, so why not Star wars?

theram05 -> RE: Sick of Star Wars! (31/7/2006 3:56:25 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I believe that was covered in the actual article this month.

God I hope so, I'd hate to pick up Empire next month and hear that Kevin Smith went through a whole family size bag of twinkies dipped in angel delight.

BobaJango -> RE: Sick of Star Wars! (31/7/2006 3:57:37 PM)

I'd have thought that the huge feature in the issue concerning episode 3 (the one with vader on the front) would have been enough. The feature was like a magazine itself. On top of that you had the booklet later on. Enough is enough!

Castor Troy -> RE: Sick of Star Wars! (31/7/2006 4:05:40 PM)

I don't really know why I was supposed to be interested in other strangers experiences of seeing a film 30 years ago.

iainthekid -> RE: Sick of Star Wars! (31/7/2006 4:07:36 PM)

I agree whole-heartedly with the original post.  Having been a subscriber since about edition 80, it has always annoyed me how biased towards Lucas Empire is.  Don't get me wrong, I love the magazine, but Lucas is not worthy of the amount of coverage Empire keeps giving his films.  I love the originals, I liked Episode 3, but 1 & 2 were poor - so enough!!  There are many many many better films, both older and newer that deserve some space in the magazine that haven't had 1% of the coverage that keeps going to Star Wars (and I agree - enough Lord of The Rings too - they weren't even as good as the original Star Wars!!!)

Alistair -> Sick of Star Wars! (31/7/2006 4:12:22 PM)

So when's the original original trilogy being released on DVD then?

punchdrunk -> RE: Sick of Star Wars! (31/7/2006 4:15:39 PM)

Im bloody sick of you lot complaining.

Should they approve the articles with you before they print them? 

BobaJango -> RE: Sick of Star Wars! (31/7/2006 4:19:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: punchdrunk

No. Just stop doing Star Wars related ones!

demoncleaner -> RE: Sick of Star Wars! (31/7/2006 4:22:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alistair

So when's the original original trilogy being released on DVD then?

You'll have to wait to next month's issue to find out.[:D]

There's plenty of stars/directors/genres and institutions I don't like but we can all approach these problems in the same manner.  I'm assuming evolution's been kind to us all.  We've got opposable thumbs.  Use them and turn the frigging page!  You're never going to like everything.  Everytime I see Will Ferrell in the magazine I say to myself "hang on, I think I know a way out of this!".

As I've said before Star Wars is one of those things I don't like but that's a standpoint unaffected by the content of this article which had some wry warmth to it.  Everyone bitching about this would know that....if they'd take a chance and read it. 

punchdrunk -> RE: Sick of Star Wars! (31/7/2006 4:27:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BobaJango

quote:

ORIGINAL: punchdrunk

No. Just stop doing Star Wars related ones!

That would fit your approval system then Boba?

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI