Doctor Who (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen

Dozy McGrew -> Doctor Who (1/10/2005 10:20:09 PM)

Thread Guideline on Spoilers (with apologies to Dozy for hijacking his post)

Because much of this will be lost mid-thread it seems easier to make this clear up front. Anything can be discussed in this thread it is just that for some it we ask that users use spoilertext out of consideration for others and keep open discussion at broadcast speed.

Discussion of episodes once (or even during!) broadcast is not a spoiler - anyone who enters the thread after broadcast without having seen the epi does so at their own risk.

Speculation - personal speculation on what has been broadcast and what it means is absolutely fine and not spoilered ALTHOUGH some people do still spoiler it just in case they hit it on the head and because they are nice.

Posting spoilers - please use spoilertext

Speculation based on spoilers seen elsewhere (ie info about non-broadcast epis) - spoilertext.

Trailers - increasingly for many the BBC trailers spoil far too much of upcoming episodes and ruin surprises such as return of daleks etc. As a result, discussion of the trailers should be down in spoilertext.

For Spoilers you should clearly bold head them up front - a bold SPOILERS eg - and then either use white text or this code for the rest of the spoiler

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , changing quotation marks to square brackets.

Can we ask that you also take a bit of care posting links? Many a careful warning not to click a link has been spoiled because the link itself turns out to contain the spoiler!

Thank you [:)]

And back to Dozy.

The new series was great. I didn't know we could make T.V. like this in Britain. The best of our telly has always been gritty and dripping in realism. But this series showed we can do a big sci-fi show with more heart and and with more entertainment value than the best of US shows of a similar vein. I've always enjoyed Christopher Eccleston in anything but with this show he embodied the character with a performance that ate the screen away. I'm so sorry he's left the show now but I'm looking forward to seeing what David Tennant will do with the role. And if Russel T. Davies can manage that difficult second album. 

Oddjob -> RE: Doctor Who (1/1/2006 2:44:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RuffKut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oddjob

For anyone who taped the Christmas special, here's a commentary that you can listen to, as you watch the episode...

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/xmascommentary.mp3

Beat ya to it, I posted it a few days ago.

I haven't had time to listen to it yet, is it any good?

I must've overlooked that post.  I haven't heard it all yet either.

Mozza -> RE: Doctor Who (1/1/2006 2:45:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sundance

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dick Jones

I don't think he is back in series 2. I remember reading that somewhere.

Yeah, he said at a press conference in the summer that he won't be back for series 2 but would probably turn up in series 3...and now we know why he seemed so happy about the fact!

Damn,  I thought he'd said he'd be in a few episodes near the end of series two. I'm disappointed now. We only have Freeview on the broken TV in my house, so I'll have to wait for Torchwood to show up on terrestial.

Torchwood will be on BBC3, which is a Freeview channel...

Starscream -> RE: Doctor Who (1/1/2006 4:17:23 PM)

Have you guys heard what ITV are putting up againist the new series of Doctor Who

Bullseye presented by Ant and Dec

mumblin sumpthin -> RE: Doctor Who (1/1/2006 4:28:17 PM)

After having got the boxset of series one for Christmas I finally got round to watching episodes 11, 12 and 13 today. I hadn't watched A Parting Of The Ways for a few months and watching it again today I had forgotten just how fantastic it is. The scene with the Doctor hologram had me in floods of tears again, it has to be the best and most emotional scene in the entire series. Completely stunning. 

Mozza -> RE: Doctor Who (1/1/2006 4:50:34 PM)

I'll get the first series boxset sometime soon methinks.

I love The Parting Of The Ways, the poor payoff of the whole Bad Wolf thing overshadows what is a corker of an episode.

Oh, and for the record, I want to see Captain Jack as a villain.  Seriously pissed at The Doctor for abandoning him, he becomes master of the daleks.  Or something.

Well, I'm not a good writer!

mumblin sumpthin -> RE: Doctor Who (1/1/2006 5:04:15 PM)

An interesting thing that is revealed on the commentary for A Parting Of  The Ways (the commentary is by Billie Piper, John Barrowman and executive producer Julie Gardner) is that the original scene shot for the part where the Doctor takes the now unconscious Rose back into the TARDIS was actually Rose's death scene but was then changed later to the Doctor's regeneration which was shot with a skeleton crew to try to keep the fact that Eccleston was not continuing with the show a secret.

Sundance -> RE: Doctor Who (1/1/2006 5:29:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mozza

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sundance

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dick Jones

I don't think he is back in series 2. I remember reading that somewhere.

Yeah, he said at a press conference in the summer that he won't be back for series 2 but would probably turn up in series 3...and now we know why he seemed so happy about the fact!

Damn,  I thought he'd said he'd be in a few episodes near the end of series two. I'm disappointed now. We only have Freeview on the broken TV in my house, so I'll have to wait for Torchwood to show up on terrestial.

Torchwood will be on BBC3, which is a Freeview channel...

Yeah, the TV that has Freeview cuts out every twenty minutes and my parents don't want to replace it for some reason.

quote:

Have you guys heard what ITV are putting up againist the new series of Doctor Who

ITV really should stop trying.

Ripper -> RE: Doctor Who (1/1/2006 6:11:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Starscream

First time ive ever been ecstatic and depressed in less that 2 seconds.

TobiasFunke -> RE: Doctor Who (1/1/2006 7:38:50 PM)

Any chance Chris Ecclestone will come back for a 'Two Doctors' story? I would love to see that happen! I hope we find out more about the Time War as well, surely the Doctor and the Emperor Dalek weren't the only survivors?

Ripper -> RE: Doctor Who (1/1/2006 8:01:39 PM)

Another 3 doctors would be good

Paull McGann - Chris Eccleston - Dave Tennant

Although as Paul was only in the film from 96, it may be hard to explain who/what he is to the new generation of fans

mumblin sumpthin -> RE: Doctor Who (1/1/2006 8:03:23 PM)

Tell you what, those Wikipedia people are a bit quick on the uptake aren't they...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenth_Doctor

dvdr -> RE: Doctor Who (1/1/2006 11:48:00 PM)

I dont get the liking of Tennant's OTT heavily signposted interpretation. Its going back to the old style of doctor which should keep the kids and whovians happy but might bore everyone else quite quickly.  He's quite a cold doctor and I'm not fussed.

mumblin sumpthin -> RE: Doctor Who (1/1/2006 11:56:39 PM)

I think you need to give Tennant a bit more of a chance than one Christmas special before writing him off. I'm thinking he'll grow over the series like Eccleston did, I didn't warm to him for the first two episodes but as the series went on I thought he got better.

Squall Katsuragi -> RE: Doctor Who (2/1/2006 9:26:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ripper

Another 3 doctors would be good

Paull McGann - Chris Eccleston - Dave Tennant

Although as Paul was only in the film from 96, it may be hard to explain who/what he is to the new generation of fans

It seems to have been repeated a couple of times on UK Gold recently so that could use that as an excuse.

TobiasFunke -> RE: Doctor Who (2/1/2006 1:01:57 PM)

Is it right to assume that it was the Paul McGann Doctor who was involved in the Time War? In 'Rose' it seemed that the Doctor had just regenerated into Ecclestone (hence him checking his appearance) and Sylvester McCoy had run-ins with the Daleks without the Time War being mentioned. Just a thought! 

mumblin sumpthin -> RE: Doctor Who (2/1/2006 3:15:39 PM)

I've always assumed it was McGann's Doctor that was involved in the Time War due to the reasons you mentioned Tobias. I don't know if there is an official backstory but I have often wondered if it was the Time War that somehow triggered the Doctor's regeneration into Christopher Eccleston.

Vadersville -> RE: Doctor Who (2/1/2006 4:58:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mumblin sumpthin

I've always assumed it was McGann's Doctor that was involved in the Time War due to the reasons you mentioned Tobias. I don't know if there is an official backstory but I have often wondered if it was the Time War that somehow triggered the Doctor's regeneration into Christopher Eccleston.

I'm pretty sure that McGann (The Eighth Doctor) died at the end of the Last Time War although somehow the TARDIS survived allowing him to regenerate into Eccleston (The Ninth Doctor). I'm not sure where I know this from. I think I just peieced it together from bits in the episodes and the annual and making of and stuff. Could be wrong.

Squall Katsuragi -> RE: Doctor Who (2/1/2006 8:51:37 PM)

I thought that as well Vader but what puzzles me is if all the other Time Lords are dead that also means Romana and Leela are too.[:(]

mumblin sumpthin -> RE: Doctor Who (2/1/2006 10:12:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squall Katsuragi

I thought that as well Vader but what puzzles me is if all the other Time Lords are dead that also means Romana and Leela are too.[:(]

Hadn't considered that point...are both of them 'officially' Time Lords though?

Dick Jones -> RE: Doctor Who (2/1/2006 10:18:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squall Katsuragi

Romana was left in different universe, and Leela wasn't a timelord anyway.

mumblin sumpthin -> RE: Doctor Who (2/1/2006 11:08:54 PM)

Didn't Leela just stay on Gallifrey with K-9? I doubt if that counts as being a Time Lord though.

Squall Katsuragi -> RE: Doctor Who (3/1/2006 8:30:01 AM)

Leela stayed on Gallifray to marry the Captain of the Guards and I'm not sure if these count, but the Big Finish audio plays have Romana as head of Gallifrey and Leela as support. Now are we going to get uber-geeky and argue if they count as continuity or not?[:)]

mumblin sumpthin -> RE: Doctor Who (3/1/2006 5:39:52 PM)

Are the audio plays counted as being 'canonical' (made up word but I don't care [sm=grin.gif]) or is it just what happens in the TV programme? I'm not sure but there is bound to be someone around here that can answer that question.

Apparently, I heard or read somewhere, the Time War took place on Gallifrey so if what you're saying counts as part of the ongoing storyline then the chances are that they did both die.

Vadersville -> RE: Doctor Who (3/1/2006 7:10:43 PM)

Just a thought, but if The Heart of The Tardis could turn Magret the Slitheen into an egg and was also able to be hosted by Rose's body, does that mean that we have a way for The Master at least to come back? He was sucked into the iris wasn't he? I haven't watched the TV movie since it aired because it was so bad.

The Captain -> RE: Doctor Who (3/1/2006 7:14:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

Just a thought, but if The Heart of The Tardis could turn Magret the Slitheen into an egg and was also able to be hosted by Rose's body, does that mean that we have a way for The Master at least to come back? He was sucked into the iris wasn't he? I haven't watched the TV movie since it aired because it was so bad.

the cybermen will be the big threat this year , but i would put money on the fact that the master will be back as the main villain in the 3rd series

mumblin sumpthin -> RE: Doctor Who (3/1/2006 7:39:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Captain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

the cybermen will be the big threat this year , but i would put money on the fact that the master will be back as the main villain in the 3rd series

As an addition to the above, I read this the other day..."The production team has stated that the Daleks will face the Tenth Doctor at some point, but not in the 2006 series. However, the BBC press release for Series 2 mentions that the Doctor and Rose will battle various aliens and monsters, and "maybe even a Dalek"."

By the way Captain, fantastic avatar. Everytime I see that in the opening titles I think it would make a great av, looks like you beat me to it. [sm=grin.gif]

The Captain -> RE: Doctor Who (3/1/2006 7:47:29 PM)

quote:

By the way Captain, fantastic avatar. Everytime I see that in the opening titles I think it would make a great av, looks like you beat me to it. [sm=grin.gif]

sorry my friend , i was playing around last night and just kind of had the same idea as you .  when i stop using it i will give you it if you want . i like to change mine

mumblin sumpthin -> RE: Doctor Who (3/1/2006 8:33:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Captain

quote:

sorry my friend , i was playing around last night and just kind of had the same idea as you .  when i stop using it i will give you it if you want . i like to change mine

Cheers for that, if you ever get fed up with using it I would be only too glad to take it off your hands. [sm=happy34.gif]

mumblin sumpthin -> RE: Doctor Who (3/1/2006 9:08:36 PM)

By the way, if anyone is interested there is a commentary track available to download for the Christmas Invasion. Set up your videotape, lower your TV volume and click on the link to play the commentary.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/xmascommentary.mp3

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI