RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Listings Unavailable This Week (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

Sugar Kowalczyk -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Listings Unavailable This Week (12/9/2006 11:20:33 PM)

I'm so happy!! Loads of great films and some of them I've always wanted to see, like In the Mood for Love & 2046.
God bless Film 4!![:)]

wrenster -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Listings Unavailable This Week (15/9/2006 10:08:50 AM)

This week's new list for the week beginning Sat 16th Septmeber is printed on page one. Enjoy.

Spider -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Listings Unavailable This Week (16/9/2006 12:23:15 AM)

A Beautiful Mind, Y Tu Mama Tambien and The Sting for me this week I think!

Isaac Newton -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Listings Unavailable This Week (16/9/2006 12:23:50 PM)

Do you not do film of the week any more?

wrenster -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Listings Unavailable This Week (16/9/2006 3:11:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Isaac Newton

Do you not do film of the week any more?

I gave up when one week there was five outstanding movies and I couldn't decide which one was better, but if you want me to reintroduce it, I can for next week.

wrenster -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Listings Unavailable This Week (21/9/2006 8:04:56 PM)

This week's new list is up and running on Page One.

Dirty Hartigan -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Listings Unavailable This Week (22/9/2006 11:28:13 AM)

Great list as ever, Wrenster, but isn't it Nicol Williamson?

wrenster -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Listings Unavailable This Week (22/9/2006 11:59:45 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

Great list as ever, Wrenster, but isn't it Nicol Williamson?

It is and it has been changed. Thanks.

sazz_met -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Listings Unavailable This Week (22/9/2006 12:24:02 PM)

Wow impressive list - 1st day on the forum today and nice to see there's something here like this and like minded people too!

andynortonuk -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Listings Unavailable This Week (22/9/2006 1:04:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sazz_met

Wow impressive list - 1st day on the forum today and nice to see there's something here like this and like minded people too!

Welcome!
This is a really good thread to be involved as you get some ideas of what films you can watch on TV.
[image]http://www.empireonline.com/forum/image/s4.gif[/image]

wrenster -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Listings Unavailable This Week (22/9/2006 2:16:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sazz_met

Thanks for the kind words and welcome.

I try to do this every week, (usually released on Thursday or Friday morning) and is as comprehensive as possible. As I say at the beginning, these are only my opinions and some you may agree with and others you might not, but hey, this is the world of free speech and if you want to contribute, then be my guest.

Enjoy

Art Vandelay -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 23rd Sept to Fri 29th Sept (NEW LIST) (24/9/2006 9:20:13 PM)

Some good films this week. I'll make sure to view these ones, that i've yet to have seen:

CARLITO'S WAY 10pm ITV4 *HIGHLY RECOMMENDED*

STEPMOM 9pm Film4

THIS BOY'S LIFE 11.05pm BBC1 *RECOMMENDED*

TWELVE MONKEYS 9pm fx *HIGHLY RECOMMENDED*

THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES 10pm five *HIGHLY RECOMMENDED*

wrenster -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 23rd Sept to Fri 29th Sept (NEW LIST) (29/9/2006 10:59:54 AM)

New list now available on Page one

demondemon -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 23rd Sept to Fri 29th Sept (NEW LIST) (29/9/2006 8:34:40 PM)

dont forget outlaw josey wales tonight on c5. one of clints best. sadly it'll probably be 4:3. still unmissable.

wrenster -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 23rd Sept to Fri 29th Sept (NEW LIST) (29/9/2006 9:30:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: demondemon

dont forget outlaw josey wales tonight on c5. one of clints best. sadly it'll probably be 4:3. still unmissable.

It was one of my Highly Recommended's last week. A classic Clint Western.

badassmofo -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 23rd Sept to Fri 29th Sept (NEW LIST) (30/9/2006 11:02:26 AM)

thank u wrenster!!

great week, lady vengence, oldboy, clerks, say anything.... brilliant

andynortonuk -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 30th Sept to Fri 6th Oct(NEW LIST) (2/10/2006 1:14:21 PM)

This is another useful guide to films on the small screen... I wonder if the same principle can be applied on a weekly basis for up-coming cinema releases...[8|]

wrenster -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 30th Sept to Fri 6th Oct(NEW LIST) (3/10/2006 12:08:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: andynortonuk

This is another useful guide to films on the small screen... I wonder if the same principle can be applied on a weekly basis for up-coming cinema releases...[8|]

Sounds like a good idea. Do I have the time? [8|]

miketheswede -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 30th Sept to Fri 6th Oct(NEW LIST) (4/10/2006 11:41:45 PM)

she's only 19 or is she

this is the best short film ive seen for ages its totally original and one of a kind

if it is fake then its a masterpiece and if its real well then its spooky as hell to think of getting yourself in this situation

watch the video and decide for yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obnU69zwjnE

Spider -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 30th Sept to Fri 6th Oct(NEW LIST) (7/10/2006 10:51:29 PM)

Not a bad week. Will set the video(s) for Escape From Alcatraz and Brazil tonight and will also hopefully catch The Yards (purely for Pheonix) but other than that not much that interests me.

Thanks again Wrenstar!

Thom -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 30th Sept to Fri 6th Oct(NEW LIST) (10/10/2006 12:36:48 PM)

Great list, as invaluable as it is entertaining. Many thanks.

Can I make a small request? Any chance you can make the dates a different colour so it's easy to spot them when scrolling through? Cheers.

wrenster -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 30th Sept to Fri 6th Oct(NEW LIST) (10/10/2006 4:49:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thom

Great list, as invaluable as it is entertaining. Many thanks.

Can I make a small request? Any chance you can make the dates a different colour so it's easy to spot them when scrolling through? Cheers.

I will look into it and see what i can do.

wrenster -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 30th Sept to Fri 6th Oct(NEW LIST) (12/10/2006 7:26:33 PM)

This week's new list is up and running on page one. Enjoy

Rhubarb -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 30th Sept to Fri 6th Oct(NEW LIST) (12/10/2006 10:33:08 PM)

Great list Wrenster. Am going to have to catch The Omen as i've not seen it, and Escape From New York as i love it.

Harry Lime -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 14th Oct to Fri 20th Oct (NEW LIST) (12/10/2006 10:51:23 PM)

Lawrence Of Arabia is of course an absolute must! Here's what I'd go for if I could only watch one film a day!

quote:

SATURDAY 14TH OCTOBER

ANNA KARENINA 3.45pm BBC2
Now we are talking classic Hollywood. This 1935 version of Tolstoy's bitter love story has Greta Garbo in the title role, of a woman returning to Moscow only to steal the man who her sister-in-law loves. Frederic March plays the love interest in this moving, well performed tragic tale.

SUNDAY 15TH OCTOBER

UNDER TEN FLAGS 2.15pm five
Almost forgotten wartime naval adventure which plays like The Enemy Below, but with ships. Van Heflin plays the captain of a German ship determined to track down a British boat, and a deadly game of hide and seek ensues. Charles Laughton also stars in a film that doesn't deserve to be hiden away like it has.

MONDAY 16TH OCTOBER

WILD RIVER
1.30pm BBC1
Another forgotten movie dug from the vaults. This one is from director Eliza Kasan. Montgomery Clift stars as an administrator for a company who want to build a dam in a small town, and comes across the angry locals, a woman who refuses to move and her granddaughter who he falls for. A fascinating drama with so many threads, it's hard not to be interested.

TUESDAY 17TH OCTOBER

CLOAK AND DAGGER 1.30pm Channel 4
Fritz Lang's WWII espionage thriller with Gary Cooper as a physicist sent to Europe to discover whether the enemy are building an atomic bomb, but having to go into hiding as they start tracking him down. A dark, suspense-filled movie that keeps up the tension throughout. Lili Palmer also stars.

WEDNESDAY 18TH OCTOBER

CARNIVAL OF SOULS
2.15am Film4
A horror film that set a new benchmark when first released in the sixties. A group of speed lovers are involved in an accident, with one survivor. Obviously traumatised, she accepts a job as a church organist, only to be haunted by a stranger from a run-down carnival. Creepy and effective in its delivery, it doesn't go for gore to shock. A classic of the genre.

THURSDAY 19TH OCTOBER

THE WAY TO THE STARS 1.30pm Channel 4
A gentle drama set during WWII with a host of British stars, in a tale of a small English town and the Air Force base that is nearby, and how the start of the Battle Of Britain affects not only the pilots but the villagers. A finely written, nicely played piece that deserves much more recognition than it gets.

FRIDAY 20TH OCTOBER

KISS TOMORROW GOODBYE
1.20pm More4
Stylish film noir with James Cagney as a prisoner who violently breaks out, and we follow the trial of those involved as the story unfolds in flashback. While a clever film, it once again proves how good Cagney really was, as he commands the screen in this fast-paced thriller.

Carnival Of Souls is my film of the week. A genuinely disquieting horror movie that relies on its eerie imagery and haunting, disjointed use of music to create a palpable atmosphere of terror. Eli Roth et al please take note. This is what a real low budget horror movie should be…. Tense, claustrophobic, disturbing and, most importantly, totally unreliant on cheap gore and even cheaper irony.

wrenster -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 14th Oct to Fri 20th Oct (NEW LIST) (20/10/2006 9:19:56 AM)

New list for half term is one page one!

adamdavey -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 21st Oct to Fri 27th Oct (NEW LIST) (20/10/2006 9:28:52 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: 

FANNY BY GASLIGHT 3pm Film4
Phyllis Calvert plays the title role, a woman who returns to her home after living at boarding school, only to discover that her family have been running a bordello next door. She must now bring herself up in the social standings. A patchy British melodrama that seemed controversial at the time of release. Now it is just dated.

THE GIFT 9pm Film4
Cate Blanchett plays a woman with psychic powers, who is hired to help find a missing girl. But her powers could lead her to a whole lot of trouble. Creepy thriller from Sam Raimi (from a script by Billy Bob Thornton) with a classy cast, including Greg Kinnear and Keanu Reeves. Interesting but a little slow in pace.

The first ones title made the film seem so much more interesting...shame it wasn't written by the makers of Snakes on a plane

The second one is to paraphrase channel 4's advertising....'the one where Katie Holmes gets her baps out'....class

wrenster -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 21st Oct to Fri 27th Oct (NEW LIST) (20/10/2006 3:24:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: adamdavey

quote:

ORIGINAL: 

FANNY BY GASLIGHT 3pm Film4
Phyllis Calvert plays the title role, a woman who returns to her home after living at boarding school, only to discover that her family have been running a bordello next door. She must now bring herself up in the social standings. A patchy British melodrama that seemed controversial at the time of release. Now it is just dated.

THE GIFT 9pm Film4
Cate Blanchett plays a woman with psychic powers, who is hired to help find a missing girl. But her powers could lead her to a whole lot of trouble. Creepy thriller from Sam Raimi (from a script by Billy Bob Thornton) with a classy cast, including Greg Kinnear and Keanu Reeves. Interesting but a little slow in pace.

The first ones title made the film seem so much more interesting...shame it wasn't written by the makers of Snakes on a plane

The second one is to paraphrase channel 4's advertising....'the one where Katie Holmes gets her baps out'....class

You can't beat a bit of schoolboy humour on a Friday afternoon. [:D]

And I forgot all about the Channel 4 comment. Possibly the most accurate summary of a movie ever.

R.J.MacReady -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 21st Oct to Fri 27th Oct (NEW LIST) (24/10/2006 3:08:44 PM)

I made damn sure I was home in time for Heaven Can Wait, only to discover they were showing the Warren Beatty remake. D'oh!

wrenster -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 21st Oct to Fri 27th Oct (NEW LIST) (24/10/2006 5:16:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: R.J.MacReady

I made damn sure I was home in time for Heaven Can Wait, only to discover they were showing the Warren Beatty remake. D'oh!

Unfortunately, the information I was sent said it was the original. I have since found out that the original is being shown on Sky Cinema. So if you have it, you can catch it there.

The Warren Beatty version isn't that bad. 

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI