RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 29th July to Fri 4th August (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

G.O.B -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 29th July to Fri 4th August (28/7/2006 11:35:46 AM)

oh christ i go on holidays all next week and every film i've wanted to see is on.that is just my bad luck.i'll probably record fight club and trainspotting but i'm sure the rest will be repeated the week after.very good week except for maybe street fighter and jurassic park 3.there's some bad memories there.

Leomuse -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 29th July to Fri 4th August (28/7/2006 12:19:41 PM)

For you Hong Kong action fans:

Channel: Player
Date: Saturday 29 July
Time: 22:00
Film: The Killer

Date: Sunday 30 July
Film: Tiger On The Beat

I'm really annoyed that some films I've been wanting to see for ages are showing when I'm on holiday.

Rhubarb -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 29th July to Fri 4th August (28/7/2006 1:52:19 PM)

Blimey! some of my favorite movies on this week! incredible.

wrenster -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 29th July to Fri 4th August (29/7/2006 12:19:31 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: G.O.B

oh christ i go on holidays all next week and every film i've wanted to see is on.that is just my bad luck.i'll probably record fight club and trainspotting but i'm sure the rest will be repeated the week after.very good week except for maybe street fighter and jurassic park 3.there's some bad memories there.

Well don't fear too much...I'm sure ITV will be showing Jurassic Park III again in the next few weeks.

/Clarence\ -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 29th July to Fri 4th August (30/7/2006 4:56:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Leomuse

For you Hong Kong action fans:

Date: Saturday 29 July
Film: The Killer

Date: Sunday 30 July
Film: Tiger On The Beat

I'm really annoyed that some films I've been wanting to see for ages are showing when I'm on holiday.

Thanks, haven't seen Tiger on the beat yet.

zombiemaster -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 29th July to Fri 4th August (30/7/2006 6:08:49 PM)

Im going to watch the thing was thinking of buying it but now its on tv i dont have to you saved me some money thanks

Spider -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 29th July to Fri 4th August (31/7/2006 2:46:42 PM)

Thanks again Wrenster.

Surely now this thread is a sticky it would be possible to make it almost a team effort to get even more comprehensive TV movie recommendations for the week. Whilst I am of course not criticising Wrenster's listings, there are people here who are offering to do daily reccomendations for Channels such as TCM and Sky Movies, and now that this is a sticky maybe we should use the oppurtunity to get an almost complete TV week of movie recommendations.

The only problem I can see is how the listings are kept neat and together, perhaps if people do them they could be edited into one main post at the top of the thread, or the first post of that weeks listings?

These are just ideas, and I'd be happy to look through Sky Movie listings on some days and pick out movies (sounds quite fun) and now that this thread is so popular it seems to me it could be even better!

wrenster -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 29th July to Fri 4th August (1/8/2006 2:37:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spider

Thanks again Wrenster.

Surely now this thread is a sticky it would be possible to make it almost a team effort to get even more comprehensive TV movie recommendations for the week. Whilst I am of course not criticising Wrenster's listings, there are people here who are offering to do daily reccomendations for Channels such as TCM and Sky Movies, and now that this is a sticky maybe we should use the oppurtunity to get an almost complete TV week of movie recommendations.

The only problem I can see is how the listings are kept neat and together, perhaps if people do them they could be edited into one main post at the top of the thread, or the first post of that weeks listings?

These are just ideas, and I'd be happy to look through Sky Movie listings on some days and pick out movies (sounds quite fun) and now that this thread is so popular it seems to me it could be even better!

I'm open for any suggestions. Things maybe a little tricky for the next month as I am on holiday in the glorious US or A, so during August there will be a reduced service.

I've already had offers for submitting reviews, helps etc and I am glad to accept anything. So go ahead, but a word of warning. It is very time consuming.

C. F. Kane -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 29th July to Fri 4th August (3/8/2006 9:24:55 AM)

quote:

Steven Seagal's best movie

shit, that's still not saying much, LOL.

R.J.MacReady -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 5th August to Fri 11th August (4/8/2006 5:31:49 PM)

My freeview box still isn't receiving Film4. [:(]
I'm interested in seeing the following.

SATURDAY 5th AUGUST

THE COLOR OF MONEY ITV3 9.25pm *RECOMMENDED*
Martin Scorsese's sequel to the classic The Hustler with Paul Newman in Oscar winning form as an older and wiser Fast Eddie Felson who takes on a new protégée in the form of Tom Cruise, as they head towards a big pool competition. Stylish and nicely played.

FRANTIC five 11.25pm *RECOMMENDED*
Roman Polanski's tense Hitchcock style thriller with Harrison Ford as a doctor visiting Paris who has to deal with not only the language but the city itself when his wife disappears. One of Ford's better performances as the lost stranger in a film that keeps the tension going throughout.

R-POINT Film4 12.30pm *HIGHLY RECOMMENDED*
Asian mix of war drama and horror as a group of soldiers during the Vietnam conflict search for some missing colleagues, but are themselves hunted by the ghosts of the soldiers. A refreshingly different tale which will both shock and scare. Terrific stuff.

SUNDAY 6th AUGUST

THE WOLF MAN Film4 3pm *RECOMMENDED*
Classic Universal horror about a man returning to his home town who is bitten by a creature that turns him into a wolf man. Those who love movies will relish in this gem while those who don't fully appreciate classic may find it laughable. I'm one of the former and I love it.

MOTORCYCLE DIARIES Film4 9pm *HIGHLY RECOMMENDED*
Impressive recount of a motorcycle journey across South America taken by a young Che Guevara and his best friend, Alberto Granado during the 1950s. While it starts as two friends looking for a good time, it turns into a journey of discovery. A blisteringly stunning character study from Walter Salles aided by two pitch perfect performances from Gael Garcia Bernal and Rodrigo De la Serna.

TUESDAY 8th AUGUST

SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATIONS Film4 12.25am
A rich and important New York couple are drawn into the world of a young man who claims to be friends of their children and the son of Sidney Poitier. Film version of the hit stage play with Donald Sutherland and Stockard Channing as the couple and a good turn from Will Smith. Intelligent, if a little wordy and stagey, but fine nevertheless.

WEDNESDAY 9th AUGUST

NAUSICAA: VALLEY OF THE WIND Film4 4.45pm *HIGHLY RECOMMENDED*
Terrific fantasy animation in which a princess, a survivor of Earth's destruction, tries to understand what has happened, while at the same time stopping two planets from all out war. The imagination of Hayao Miyazaki is unsurpassed.

SALESMAN BBC4 10.30pm
Documentary from 1969 that follows four door-to-door salesmen as they attempt to persuade unsuspecting households to buy bibles. An interesting movie that shows the hardship of having to cold call. Worth a look.

THURSDAY 10th AUGUST

THE WAY TO THE STARS Fim4 3pm
An impressive British war drama set on a base in a small town on the verge of The Battle Of Britain, as seen through the eyes of a new recruit. Michael Redgrave and John Mills star in this small scale yet emotional tale of our boys at their darkest hour.

THE DRIVER ITV4 10pm *HIGHLY RECOMMENDED*
A getaway driver, hired by robbers, has never been caught, until a stubborn detective comes on the scene determined to be the first to get him. Tough, moody thriller with Ryan O'Neal and Bruce Dern. Some exciting car chases and a terrific tense atmosphere makes this Walter Hill movie a must for fans of high octane action.

NASHVILLE BBC4 11pm *HIGHLY RECOMMENDED*
Complex multi-character celebration of Americana from Robert Altman, as political conventions and musicians alike arrive at the home of Country music. A brilliant mosaic of storylines and interweaving characters and situation not only makes this essential viewing but is still regarded as Altman's most polished work.

FRIDAY 11th AUGUST

KAGEMUSHA Film4 11.40pm *HIGHLY RECOMMENDED*
A thief is recruited to pretend to be an impressive war lord but finds it difficult to keep up the pretence. Incredibly stunning Akira Kurasawa movie which is both visually amazing and beautiful. One of the great directors finest works.

Mycroft -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 5th August to Fri 11th August (4/8/2006 6:22:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: R.J.MacReady

My freeview box still isn't receiving Film4. [:(]

Neither is mine, think its an aerial problem. There was never anything worth it on those frequencies before

Spider -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 5th August to Fri 11th August (7/8/2006 12:07:40 AM)

Recording 'We Were Soldiers' at the moment. Is it actually any good?

Mason Verger -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 29th July to Fri 4th August (10/8/2006 11:32:45 PM)

Friday 11 August
Five
1.35pm The Man without a Country
3.15pm The Wedding

andynortonuk -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 5th August to Fri 11th August (11/8/2006 5:19:25 PM)

I was able to see, or at least attempt to see, a good variety of films this week.

quote:

ORIGINAL: wrenster

SATURDAY 5th AUGUST

KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE Film4 4.45pm *HIGHLY RECOMMEDNED*
A young trainee witch has reached the age of 13 and has to go to a town to complete her education and learn to fend for herself. Magical children's fantasy from Hayao Miyazaki that many regard as one of his best. Simply amazing.

BACK TO THE FUTURE PART II ITV1 5.25pm *RECOMMENDED*
The further adventures of Marty McFly and the Doc has the pair transported to 2015 and find that a sports almanac could cause trouble in 1985. The film doesn't have the punch of the original due to a complex and sometimes confused plot.

I ended up watching the beginning of
KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE, but I had to watch the ending of BTTF 2, as that's what my folks were watching beforehand. Would like to finish KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE the next time it is on![;)]

quote:

TREMORS ITV4 9pm *HIGHLY RECOMMENDED*
A small town in the desert find that they are not alone when something appears from under the ground. Probably the best B movie schlock comedy monster movie ever made, helped by terrific partnership of Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward. Get the popcorn in and enjoy.

I really enjoyed this one, but I found the ending a bit too generically romantic for my liking.[8|]

quote:

SUNDAY 6th AUGUST

MOTORCYCLE DIARIES Film4 9pm *HIGHLY RECOMMENDED*
Impressive recount of a motorcycle journey across South America taken by a young Che Guevara and his best friend, Alberto Granado during the 1950s. While it starts as two friends looking for a good time, it turns into a journey of discovery. A blisteringly stunning character study from Walter Salles aided by two pitch perfect performances from Gael Garcia Bernal and Rodrigo De la Serna.

Tried watching this one, despite having the DVD of this in my collection.[sm=893banghead-thumb.gif]

quote:

TUESDAY 8th AUGUST

MY NEIGHBOUR TOTORO Film4 5.10pm HIGHLY RECOMMENDED*
More magical adventures from Studio Ghibli as two sisters, who move to the country to be near their ill mother, find a mystical forest nearby and some amazing creatures living inside. I am now running out of words for these terrific movies, so just watch them and enjoy.

Saw the dub of this before, but I found my brother enjoyed all the antics of Totoro, and realised that the legendary Frank Welker provided the voice of Totoro for the dub.[:D]

quote:

WEDNESDAY 9th AUGUST

NAUSICAA: VALLEY OF THE WIND Film4 4.45pm *HIGHLY RECOMMENDED*
Terrific fantasy animation in which a princess, a survivor of Earth's destruction, tries to understand what has happened, while at the same time stopping two planets from all out war. The imagination of Hayao Miyazaki is unsurpassed.

Been dying to see this Gibhli film, and I wasn't dissapointment, even with this being the dubbed version, I really enjoyed it; the dub is definitely, in my opinion, one of the best anime dubs, with the talents of  Mark Hamill, Patrick Stewart, Uma Thurman, and Frank Welker![:D]

quote:

THURSDAY 10th AUGUST

NASHVILLE BBC4 11pm *HIGHLY RECOMMENDED*
Complex multi-character celebration of Americana from Robert Altman, as political conventions and musicians alike arrive at the home of Country music. A brilliant mosaic of storylines and interweaving characters and situation not only makes this essential viewing but is still regarded as Altman's most polished work.

Tried watching this, but I was just too tired to take it all in.[:(]

quote:

FRIDAY 11th AUGUST

KAGEMUSHA Film4 11.40pm *HIGHLY RECOMMENDED*
A thief is recruited to pretend to be an impressive war lord but finds it difficult to keep up the pretence. Incredibly stunning Akira Kurasawa movie which is both visually amazing and beautiful. One of the great directors finest works

I'm not going to miss the chance to see a Kurosawa film, especially one that I haven't got on DVD.[8D]

Cannot wait for next week's recommendations.[;)]

Rhubarb -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 5th August to Fri 11th August (11/8/2006 5:36:47 PM)

This week looks pretty good - and hurrah for Escape From New York. Carpenter and Russell at thier peaks.

Glad your enjoying the USofA too!

andynortonuk -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 5th August to Fri 11th August (11/8/2006 5:41:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

I don't know what you mean, by that.[&:]

Escape from New York looks pretty good to watch.[;)]

wrenster -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 5th August to Fri 11th August (12/8/2006 8:30:19 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

This week looks pretty good - and hurrah for Escape From New York. Carpenter and Russell at thier peaks.

Thoroughly enjoying it, even if it does keep hitting 108 degrees.

Been trying to catch up with the movies out here, but they are all the same as home. Might be seeing World Trade Centre tonight but definitely SoaP next Friday. Can't wait.

One thing though...I'd hate to do a TV review section for the channels out here...damn that'll be hard work.

DanielFullard -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 29th July to Fri 4th August (14/8/2006 3:29:41 PM)

A few recs from me.....

MONDAY 14TH AUGUST 
  THE DISH - Very Enjoyable movie that is well worth your time.

FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF  - Classic cult comedy

THE COOLER  - Underated modern classic
TUESDAY 15TH AUGUST 

DR NO - Essential Bond

WEDNESDAY 16TH AUGUST 

THE FOOTBALL FACTORY - Cockeny-Brit-Violence Flick that is entertaining and at times poignant

THURSDAY 17TH AUGUST

HELL DRIVERS - Classic Golden Oldie

FRIDAY 18TH AUGUST 

BEING JOHN MALKOVICH - Fantasy Gem

Chindo -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 29th July to Fri 4th August (25/8/2006 5:49:15 PM)

Thanks alot for the new list. I though Song of the South was banned or something? Either way, I'll certainly be watching as you can no longer buy it and who knows when and if it will be on TV again.

R.J.MacReady -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 26th August to Fri 1st September (NEW LISTING EVERY FRIDAY) (26/8/2006 12:34:59 PM)

Again, keeping tabs on ones I haven't seen.

SUNDAY 27TH AUGUST

SONG OF THE SOUTH BBC2 10am 

THE BIG SLEEP five 2.40pm *HIGHLY RECOMMENDED*

MONDAY 28TH AUGUST

ICE COLD IN ALEX Channel 4 12 midday *RECOMMENDED*

WEDNESDAY 30TH AUGUST

MEET THE PARENTS BBC1 9pm

GANGSTER NO 1 Film4 10.50pm *RECOMMENDED*

THURSDAY 31ST AUGUST

MY NAME IS NOBODY ITV4 11.05pm

WELCOME TO SARAJEVO Channel 4 1.50am *RECOMMENDED*

FRIDAY 1ST SEPTEMBER

EASTER PARADE More4 4.10pm *RECOMMENDED*

A ROOM WITH A VIEW Film4 6.50pm *RECOMMENDED*

Indio -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 26th August to Fri 1st September (NEW LISTING EVERY FRIDAY) (26/8/2006 12:49:49 PM)

Channel 4 are showing Swingers tonight, but for some reason best known to themselves, its not on until 2.15 a.m. [sm=huh.gif] 

They're also showing Little Voice at 9.25, I might make an effort to watch that.

Spider -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 26th August to Fri 1st September (NEW LISTING EVERY FRIDAY) (26/8/2006 11:28:11 PM)

Yes, I noticed tonight that Swingers was on at 2:15am in the morning and thought, what the fuck? Why would they put a popular and highly rated film like this in a graveyard slot like that?

Glad I noticed anyway because I've been waiting to see it for ages. I will be recording it though!

Spider -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 26th August to Fri 1st September (NEW LISTING EVERY FRIDAY) (2/9/2006 10:49:18 PM)

Okay, as Wrenster has requested someone to put up the listings I thought I would give something back to this wonderful thread. Now, I must warn you now that this is simply taken from my TV Guide and although I would love to, I don't even have the depth of film knowledge to be able to review most of them. As Wrenster normally says, this will just be non-film channel films for the week (no Film 4 from me, sorry). Anyway, hope it's useful, maybe someone will update the top post as normal!

Saturday 2nd September
Boogie Nights - 11:20pm-2:00am - five
Run Lola Run - 2:15am-3:35am - C4
Due to the time of posting, today's films are obviously only the ones in the future!

Sunday 3rd September
Help! I'm a Fish - 9:55am-11:20am - ITV1
The Secret Garden - 11:30am-1:10pm - BBC2
84 Charing Cross Road - 3:30pm-5:25pm - five
Clear and Present Danger - 9:00pm-11:35pm - C4
Rob Roy - 3:30pm-5:25pm - five

Monday 4th September
Saving Private Ryan - 9:00pm-12:20am - five FILM OF THE WEEK
A Night on the Town - 11:05pm-12:45am - BBC1
Red Dragon - 12:00am-2:30am - ITV2

Tuesday 5th September
Time Lock - 2:10pm-3:30pm - C4
The Bourne Identity - 9:00pm-10:30pm & 11:00pm-11:50pm - ITV1 MY ONE TO WATCH
Remember the Titans - 11:05pm-12:55am - BBC1

Wednesday 6th September
The Good Die Young - 1:40pm-3:30pm - C4
My Son the Fanatic - 11:45pm-1:15am - BBC1

Thursday 7th September
Jesse James - 1:30pm-3:15pm - BBC2
Kidnapped - 1:30pm-3:30pm - C4
Wrong Turn - 10:00pm-11:35pm - C4
Dangerous Liaisons - 11:20pm-1:20pm - BBC1
The Wild Bunch - 9:20pm-11:40pm - BBC4
The Sixth Sense - 12:05am-2:10pm - ITV2

Friday 8th September
Two Rode Together - 1:30pm-3:15pm - BBC2
Stacy's Knights - 1:40pm-3:40pm - five

Enjoy!

Ryan_D_Bell -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 26th August to Fri 1st September (NEW LISTING EVERY FRIDAY) (4/9/2006 6:57:39 AM)

Genuine thanks for your effort.
Appreciate you might not have time to list satelite movies, however yesterday (Sun 3rd) TCM showed The Ice Pirates and Logans Run.  Bit late now though....sorry.

wrenster -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 26th August to Fri 1st September (NEW LISTING EVERY FRIDAY) (4/9/2006 4:46:45 PM)

Spider, thanks for stepping into my shoes (hope they didn't smell too bad).

I'm still waiting for those lovely people at a certain communications department to get back to me about fixing the problem, but they did say between three to five working days (so Thursday by the latest). Hopefully everything will be back to normal but if not, I will let you all know (another hour in an internet cafe...hoo, hum!)

Leomuse -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 26th August to Fri 1st September (NEW LISTING EVERY FRIDAY) (4/9/2006 4:51:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spider

Monday 4th September
A Night on the Town - 11:05pm-12:45am - BBC1

Just to let folks know, this is Adventures in Babysitting, the '80s favourite.

Spider -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Sat 26th August to Fri 1st September (NEW LISTING EVERY FRIDAY) (4/9/2006 10:48:19 PM)

quote:

Spider, thanks for stepping into my shoes (hope they didn't smell too bad).

I'm still waiting for those lovely people at a certain communications department to get back to me about fixing the problem, but they did say between three to five working days (so Thursday by the latest). Hopefully everything will be back to normal but if not, I will let you all know (another hour in an internet cafe...hoo, hum!)

Can you edit the top title to something like "Listings for this week on page 2" so that people know they're here?

rosco14 -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Listings Unavailable This Week (7/9/2006 12:21:20 PM)

quote:

[ul][*]

Spider -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Listings Unavailable This Week (8/9/2006 12:27:07 AM)

Seems to be a hell of a lot on this week but not that much that I'm really interested in, maybe it will give me some time to free up some tapes from films in the last few weeks!

Will definetely watch Enigma mainly because I read the book and have wanted to see the film for some time. Other than that it's just a case of possibly fancying something that's on.

Thanks, as always, to Wrenster!

Walkerboy -> RE: Wrenster's Movies On TV: Listings Unavailable This Week (8/9/2006 11:05:13 AM)

Sky+ is now set for Rocky Horror as we're going to see it at the theatre next weekend........ I need to see the film before the show!

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI