Channel 4's ' 50 films to see before you die' FULL LIST (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

adzzz33 -> Channel 4's ' 50 films to see before you die' FULL LIST (19/7/2006 2:17:50 PM)

Here's the list for the 50 films that are going to feature in the saturday program on Channel 4, 50 films to see before you die.

http://www.channel4sales.com/news/news-article.aspx?year=2006&id=77

So, what do you think of their choices?

Leomuse -> RE: Channel 4's ' 50 films to see before you die' FULL LIST (19/7/2006 2:19:42 PM)

Since Princess Mononoke is on there, the list is automatically awesome.
Erin Brockovich and Donnie Darko seem like odd choices.

Neth -> RE: Channel 4's ' 50 films to see before you die' FULL LIST (19/7/2006 2:21:07 PM)

Shouldn't the title of this list be "50 Films We've Bagged The Rights To And Hope You Don't Flick Over To Another Channel During The Ad Breaks When We Air Them"? 

/Clarence\ -> RE: Channel 4's ' 50 films to see before you die' FULL LIST (19/7/2006 2:22:20 PM)

2001: A Space Odyssey
A Bout de Souffle
Aguirre, the Wrath of God
Alien
All About Eve
Apartment, The
Apocalypse Now
Badlands
Black Narcissus
Boyz N the Hood
Brazil
Breakfast Club, The
Cabaret

Chinatown
City of God
Come and See
Dawn of the Dead
Donnie Darko
Erin Brockovich

Fanny and Alexander
Fight Club
Heavenly Creatures
Hero
Ipcress File, The
King of Comedy, The
Ladykillers, The
Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India
Lost in Translation
Manhattan

Manhunter
Mulholland Drive

Night at the Opera
North by Northwest
Pink Flamingos
Player, The
Princess Mononoke
Pulp Fiction
Raising Arizona
Royal Tenenbaums, The
Scarface

Searchers, The
Secrets and Lies
Sexy Beast
Shawshank Redemption, The
Terminator 2: Judgement Day

This Sporting Life
Three Colours Blue
Touch of Evil
Trainspotting
Walkabout

Films in bold iv'e seen, don't think its that great a list at all.
Especially since its film to see before you die.
If it were " 50 films that are pretty good and some that are great" i'd agree.[:D]

Leomuse -> RE: Channel 4's ' 50 films to see before you die' FULL LIST (19/7/2006 2:24:20 PM)

Come to think of it, Raising Arizona is a pretty odd choice to represent the Coens. Still good though.

Pink Flamingos? I never want to see that film.

/Clarence\ -> RE: Channel 4's ' 50 films to see before you die' FULL LIST (19/7/2006 2:25:48 PM)

By the way, is this in order?

As in "A Space Odyssey " is the number 1 film to see before you die and "Walkabout" 50th?

Diamond Joe -> RE: Channel 4's ' 50 films to see before you die' FULL LIST (19/7/2006 2:26:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neth

Shouldn't the title of this list be "50 Films We've Bagged The Rights To And Hope You Don't Flick Over To Another Channel During The Ad Breaks When We Air Them"? 

i think you got it in one there!! i've only seen 21 of these 'must-see' films

Leomuse -> RE: Channel 4's ' 50 films to see before you die' FULL LIST (19/7/2006 2:26:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: /Clarence\

By the way, is this in order?

As in "A Space Odyssey " is the number 1 film to see before you die and "Walkabout" 50th?

It's in alphabetical order.

Beetlejuice! -> RE: Channel 4's ' 50 films to see before you die' FULL LIST (19/7/2006 2:27:22 PM)

It's quite a good list, though it's odd they picked Heavenly Creatures over a Lord of the Rings instalment.

Are all these films going to be played on FilmFour the weeks running after the show I take it?

sushiandrice -> RE: Channel 4's ' 50 films to see before you die' FULL LIST (19/7/2006 2:27:25 PM)

They've missed a lot of obvious ones - The Godfather, Raging Bull, etc.

/Clarence\ -> RE: Channel 4's ' 50 films to see before you die' FULL LIST (19/7/2006 2:28:15 PM)

[sm=08.gif]
Stupid me.

Castor Troy -> RE: Channel 4's ' 50 films to see before you die' FULL LIST (19/7/2006 2:31:41 PM)

I haven't seen all of those, but out of the ones I have seen I could happily erase some of them from my memory and not worry about not having seen them.

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: Channel 4's ' 50 films to see before you die' FULL LIST (19/7/2006 2:36:21 PM)

quote:

If it were " 50 films that are pretty good and some that are great" i'd agree.[:D]

Yeah - it should be 50 films to see before going under general anaesthetic for a slightly risky hernia operation

Marvel_79 -> RE: Channel 4's ' 50 films to see before you die' FULL LIST (19/7/2006 2:40:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

quote:

Yeah - it should be 50 films to see before going under general anaesthetic for a slightly risky hernia operation

honestly, a lot of that list looks like "Films to see so you wont need the anaesthetic for a slightly risky hernia operation"

jimminycrickets -> RE: Channel 4's ' 50 films to see before you die' FULL LIST (19/7/2006 3:18:04 PM)

It's a rich and varied list. You're never going to agree with all of them, but I like it.

Mr E -> RE: Channel 4's ' 50 films to see before you die' FULL LIST (19/7/2006 3:22:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimminycrickets

It's a rich and varied list. You're never going to agree with all of them, but I like it.

Exactly [sm=happy34.gif]. It'll be worth a watch and it may introduce me to a few films I haven't seen before.

Peter Griffin -> RE: Channel 4's ' 50 films to see before you die' FULL LIST (19/7/2006 3:29:11 PM)

So if i haven't seen some of those on the list does that mean when i die i'm going to hell?
And by hell i mean having to watch Dawn of the Dead over & over for infinity.

clownfoot -> RE: Channel 4's ' 50 films to see before you die' FULL LIST (19/7/2006 3:30:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neth

You cynic, you!

No Evil Dead 2? The fuckers...

jimminycrickets -> RE: Channel 4's ' 50 films to see before you die' FULL LIST (19/7/2006 3:32:34 PM)

Day of the Dead's better, you're right. I like the fact that Raising Arizona represents the Coens, they've made better films (Blood Simple, Miller's Crossing, Fargo) buit it's as fine an example of screwball comedy you're going to find and thus merrits it's place on the list.

Rhubarb -> RE: Channel 4's ' 50 films to see before you die' FULL LIST (19/7/2006 3:47:36 PM)

i bet Shawshank wins when they count it down.

Zaphod121 -> RE: Channel 4's ' 50 films to see before you die' FULL LIST (19/7/2006 3:56:49 PM)

where the hell is Evil Dead or Evil Dead 2, one of them should be on there, if not both

Marvel_79 -> RE: Channel 4's ' 50 films to see before you die' FULL LIST (19/7/2006 4:02:57 PM)

Of the list a few things I'd personally change

A Bout de Souffle
Alien - Aliens is better
All About Eve
Apartment, The
Apocalypse Now - Full Metal Jacket and Platoon better
Badlands
Black Narcissus
Boyz N the Hood
Brazil
Breakfast Club, The
Cabaret

Chinatown
City of God
Come and See
Dawn of the Dead
Donnie Darko
Erin Brockovich

Fanny and Alexander
Fight Club
Heavenly Creatures
Hero - The House Of the Flying Daggers, by far and away the better film
Ipcress File, The
King of Comedy, The
Ladykillers, The
Lost in Translation
Manhattan

Manhunter - For me this is the worst Lecter Film (people will hate me for that I know!)
Mulholland Drive

Night at the Opera
North by Northwest
Pink Flamingos
Player, The
Princess Mononoke
Pulp Fiction - Resevoir Dogs instead
Raising Arizona - Surely there are better examples of the Coens? Millers Crossing?
Royal Tenenbaums, The
Scarface
- Hugely overrated swap with virtually any other gangster/mobster film
Searchers, The
Secrets and Lies
Sexy Beast
- Swap with Terminator
This Sporting Life
Three Colours Blue
Touch of Evil
Trainspotting
Walkabout

doctorolorinbats1975 -> RE: Channel 4's ' 50 films to see before you die' FULL LIST (19/7/2006 4:22:29 PM)

2001: A Space Odyssey - 5/5.
Alien - 5/5.
Heavenly Creatures - 5/5.
Hero - 5/5.
Lost in Translation - 3/5.
Night at the Opera - 4/5.
North by Northwest - 5/5.
Pulp Fiction - 3/5.
Scarface - 4/5.
Searchers, The - 5/5. 
Shawshank Redemption, The - 5/5.
Terminator 2: Judgement Day - 5/5.

Out of all the ones I've seen, very good.

directorscut -> RE: Channel 4's ' 50 films to see before you die' FULL LIST (19/7/2006 4:48:29 PM)

No wonder people know so little about cinema if 50 films is the expectant number to see before you croak it.

Spider -> RE: Channel 4's ' 50 films to see before you die' FULL LIST (19/7/2006 5:18:47 PM)

I can't decide whether to look at the list because I'm going to watch the programme on Saturday night, seems a bot pointless if I already know all the films!

Rhubarb -> RE: Channel 4's ' 50 films to see before you die' FULL LIST (19/7/2006 5:28:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spider

I can't decide whether to look at the list because I'm going to watch the programme on Saturday night, seems a bot pointless if I already know all the films!

you won't know the order though!

quote:

No wonder people know so little about cinema if 50 films is the expectant number to see before you croak it.

haha i see your point DC, but you know that the BEFORE YOU DIE! is just to get people to watch it. and its only 50 because they only had 3 hours set aside in the schedule.

Spider -> RE: Channel 4's ' 50 films to see before you die' FULL LIST (19/7/2006 5:35:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spider

you won't know the order though!

I don't think they are putting them in an order are they? I thought lists billed as "50/100/1000 films/books/albums to see/read/hear before you die" usually meant it was just an open list. I hope it is, much better like that than trying to put films in order of merit.

andynortonuk -> RE: Channel 4's ' 50 films to see before you die' FULL LIST (19/7/2006 6:34:40 PM)

This looks like a list I won't be arguing about.[;)]
But I personally prefer some of the earlier Miyazaki films prior to Princess Monoke; but it's better than just always praising the obvious choice that is Spirited Away. Also, Pink Flamingos is not to everyone tastes- although I haven't seen it, a film where someone eats dog poo isn't going to be my choice for a film to see before you die; more of a film to know about before you die, I guess.[8|]

bub -> RE: Channel 4's ' 50 films to see before you die' FULL LIST (19/7/2006 6:37:56 PM)

A Bout de Souffle
Alien
All About Eve
Apartment, The
Apocalypse Now
Badlands
Black Narcissus
Boyz N the Hood
Brazil
Breakfast Club, The
Cabaret
Chinatown
City of God
Come and See
Dawn of the Dead
Donnie Darko
Erin Brockovich
Fanny and Alexander
Fight Club
Heavenly Creatures
Hero
Ipcress File, The
King of Comedy, The
Ladykillers, The
Lost in Translation
Manhattan
Manhunter
Mulholland Drive
Night at the Opera
North by Northwest
Pink Flamingos
Player, The
Princess Mononoke
Pulp Fiction
Raising Arizona
Royal Tenenbaums, The
Scarface
Searchers, The
Secrets and Lies
Sexy Beast
This Sporting Life
Three Colours Blue
Touch of Evil
Trainspotting
Walkabout

Couple of great choices there. But Donnie Darko and Erin Chocosnitch?! [sm=893confused27-thumb.gif]

maffew -> RE: Channel 4's ' 50 films to see before you die' FULL LIST (19/7/2006 6:41:54 PM)

2001: A Space Odyssey *****
A Bout de Souffle
Alien *****
All About Eve
Apartment, The *****
Apocalypse Now *****
Badlands
Black Narcissus
Boyz N the Hood *****
Brazil *****
Breakfast Club, The *****
Cabaret
Chinatown
City of God *****
Come and See
Dawn of the Dead *****
Donnie Darko ***
Erin Brockovich ****
Fanny and Alexander
Fight Club *****
Heavenly Creatures ****
Hero ****
Ipcress File, The ****
King of Comedy, The *****
Ladykillers, The *****
Lost in Translation *****
Manhattan *****
Manhunter ****
Mulholland Drive **** 
Night at the Opera *****
North by Northwest *****
Pink Flamingos
Player, The
Princess Mononoke *****
Pulp Fiction *****
Raising Arizona *****
Royal Tenenbaums, The *****
Scarface ****
Searchers, The
Secrets and Lies
Sexy Beast ****
Shawshank Redemption, The *****
Terminator 2: Judgement Day *****
This Sporting Life
Three Colours Blue *****
Touch of Evil *****
Trainspotting *****
Walkabout

a pretty consistently great list of the ones i've seen...

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI