RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand

Saltire -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (7/1/2013 11:14:47 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jediwarrior

No surprise from ESPN, every game I've seen them cover of Liverpool they're always digging on Suarez about something. Jon Champion is a total muppet. Glad I no longer pay for the channel anymore and quite glad ESPN will be losing the football soon.

The camera coverage was shocking in that match yesterday, I almost had to squint every time a player got into the opposition box, it looked miles away.

Sturridge's movement, speed and power were a real handful for the opposition in the first half, and good to see him score with virtually his first chance; hopefully he'll be a great addition to a much maligned front line.

Btw gotta love Suarez; commentators, media and other fans, keep the booing up and he'll just keep putting the ball into the net. The reaction as always is way over the top, but what do you expect...

Rinc -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (7/1/2013 5:41:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

The camera coverage was shocking in that match yesterday, I almost had to squint every time a player got into the opposition box, it looked miles away.

Same here! Don't think I've ever seen a camera so far away.

quote:

Btw gotta love Suarez; commentators, media and other fans, keep the booing up and he'll just keep putting the ball into the net. The reaction as always is way over the top, but what do you expect...

I was reading some of the bbc texts and some things on Twitter with people complaining about Suarez kissing his wrist after the match saying he only did it to taunt Mansfield. Never mind he does it every time he scores!

directorscut -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (7/1/2013 5:49:15 PM)

He has his daughter's name tattooed on his wrist. Ten seconds of google research would have told those numpties that.

Nezzley -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (7/1/2013 5:50:08 PM)

ESPN have now apologised for Champions remarks http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/07/luis-suarez-liverpool-espn-apologise. About time that smug prick gets held accountable for trying to wind up half his audience with spiteful comments.

Brooksy84 -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (7/1/2013 8:07:30 PM)

Pretty piss poor apology as they go.

gazpop -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (15/1/2013 1:11:49 PM)

pissing horse bollocks!

horribleives -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (15/1/2013 1:24:25 PM)

I don't see why he should apologise myself. I totally disagreed with what he said and don't think Suarez did anything wrong but what's the big deal about expressing an opnion in the heat of the moment? I prefer that to all the fence-sitting and arse-kissing you get with most commentators.

Nexus Wookie -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (15/1/2013 2:24:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

I don't see why he should apologise myself. I totally disagreed with what he said and don't think Suarez did anything wrong but what's the big deal about expressing an opnion in the heat of the moment? I prefer that to all the fence-sitting and arse-kissing you get with most commentators.

Damn fucking right.

Brooksy84 -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (15/1/2013 11:06:57 PM)

It's more the language he used, coupled with the fact that he had the benefit of several replays to inform his opinion. He could have said "it looks to me like he's deliberately used his hand there", or something along those lines. But he went for a deliberately inflammatory statement knowing full well there would probably be a reaction to it. And for what? To get his name in the papers? To pull in a few more twitter followers? Commentators are paid to be informative and impartial, not controversial. It ain't shock radio, it's a football match.

Nexus Wookie -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (17/1/2013 8:07:22 PM)

Suarez is not a cheat.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-boss-brendan-rodgers-blasts-1539504

Olaf -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (17/1/2013 8:57:27 PM)

This is getting a bit ridiculous, I'm far from his biggest fan but the criticism after the Mansfield game was that he cheated and didn't own up to it. Now he does the opposite and he's criticised as well? I appreciate the honesty, personally.

Rodgers's response is massively hypocritical though - if he really thought that cheating was unacceptable, he wouldn't have intimated earlier this season that his players would cheat if decisions didn't go their way (and he wouldn't have said that Suarez has no one to answer to for the Mansfield incident). Unless he's suggesting that cheating is okay but owning up to it isn't, in which case nice 'ethics' you got there Brendan.

Nexus Wookie -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (17/1/2013 9:05:09 PM)

He hasn't helped matters by opening his trap right now though. He did the same thing with the racism episode too, as soon as things had died down he opens his mouth again. [&:]

horribleives -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (18/1/2013 6:31:36 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

He hasn't helped matters by opening his trap right now though. He did the same thing with the racism episode too, as soon as things had died down he opens his mouth again. [&:]

Which he couldn't resist dragging up again in the same interview:

'When someone says something bad about being a South American, I don't cry, because that happens inside the pitch. I have my conscience clean. But Manchester Utd controls the media - they are powerful'.

Oh, shut up.

Saltire -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (19/1/2013 7:34:59 PM)

quote:

quote:

'When someone says something bad about being a South American, I don't cry, because that happens inside the pitch. I have my conscience clean. But Manchester Utd controls the media - they are powerful'.

Oh, shut up.

He's only speaking the truth.

Great win for Liverpool today, have yet to see the game, but by all accounts they were fantastic (albeit Norwich were apparently awful). Lets see if they can get a result at the Etihad/Emirates.

directorscut -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (19/1/2013 8:31:56 PM)

Never thought I'd see Henderson score a goal that good.

Surely all Liverpool fans can see the progress being made by Rodgers now? I remember one particularly vocal anti-Rodgers guy on this board not too long ago...

Nexus Wookie -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (19/1/2013 8:42:30 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh, shut up.

Great win for Liverpool today, have yet to see the game, but by all accounts they were fantastic (albeit Norwich were apparently awful). Lets see if they can get a result at the Etihad/Emirates.

Which part? Being South American or that United control the media? Next he'll be saying United were responsible for 9/11 and the death of Princess Diana. [8|]

jediwarrior -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (19/1/2013 8:57:48 PM)

Great win today, it does seem we like to bash in a few goals against Norwich.

The true test will be the next two league games away to Arsenal and City. If we get 4 points from that I'd be quite happy.

horribleives -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (20/1/2013 1:26:12 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh, shut up.

Don't be daft, man.
I'm the first to admit officials occasionally give them the benefit of the doubt and the FA/BBC are terrified of Fergie but that's got fuck all to do with the club or the manager - it's the pandering of the latter and the spinelessness of the former who are to blame for that, not Man U. Unfortunately it's human nature - as I said elsewhere, I loved Shearer to bits as a player but I'll happily admit when he was England captain he used to get away with all sorts for us, and for the record Liverpool themselves occupied something of a lofty, sacred cow status throughout the '80s. Swings and roundabouts.

Brooksy84 -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (20/1/2013 1:12:38 PM)

As a younger fan I found it very easy to get caught up in the whole "Ref's are biased toward Man Utd; the FA are scared of the club/Fergie etc etc. Witht he benefit of more maturity and a more sensible view of the game you realise these kind of statements are all a bit silly really. That said, what I do get angry about is the constant stream of shit that Ferguson insists on coming out with still (see his comments about Man City and penalties recently). The season before last I believe he called the decision to "only" add 7 minutes of injury time "an insult". It all appears to be completely devoid of irony too, unless I'm absolutely oblivious to it. I no longer see phantom penalties and a giant FA conspiracy, I just see a man who is, frankly, a cock.
Anyway, great result yesterday and good to see us developing a strike partnership. Just begs the question as to where we'd be in the league right now if the club had manned up and signed Sturridge back in August.

Saltire -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (20/1/2013 11:45:51 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh, shut up.

Which part? Being South American or that United control the media? Next he'll be saying United were responsible for 9/11 and the death of Princess Diana. [8|]

I thought they were personally [;)] The media part is what I meant and there's more than an element of truth in that.

Saltire -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (20/1/2013 11:48:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brooksy84

As a younger fan I found it very easy to get caught up in the whole "Ref's are biased toward Man Utd; the FA are scared of the club/Fergie etc etc. Witht he benefit of more maturity and a more sensible view of the game you realise these kind of statements are all a bit silly really. That said, what I do get angry about is the constant stream of shit that Ferguson insists on coming out with still (see his comments about Man City and penalties recently). The season before last I believe he called the decision to "only" add 7 minutes of injury time "an insult". It all appears to be completely devoid of irony too, unless I'm absolutely oblivious to it. I no longer see phantom penalties and a giant FA conspiracy, I just see a man who is, frankly, a cock.
Anyway, great result yesterday and good to see us developing a strike partnership. Just begs the question as to where we'd be in the league right now if the club had manned up and signed Sturridge back in August.

Agree; outside of football he seems a top bloke, but when he starts spouting that shit he really makes me want to kick him in the nads - even if he is 71 and my kith and kin! [:D]

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (21/1/2013 10:22:23 AM)

Really liking watching the development of this team under Rogers, especially now with the addition of Sturridge.

Glad to see Henderson starting to pick up too, I think he got a lot of unfair stick when he first moved to the club and I think he's got the makings of a tidy little player, albeit not a 20 Million pound one yet.

Rinc -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (21/1/2013 11:24:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

Glad to see Henderson starting to pick up too, I think he got a lot of unfair stick when he first moved to the club and I think he's got the makings of a tidy little player, albeit not a 20 Million pound one yet.

He did get unfair stick but fairplay to everyone on here (including myself!), we've always said he could be a decent player and just needs time and to be played in the right position (which Dalglish didn't always do). He always gives his all and he harries the opposition. His attacking game has been the thing lacking because despite the odd youthful mistake his defensive game has always been ok. Now hopefully he can start more games and be more effective in the final third. At the moment his game lacks a bit of subtlety but with the players around him that should improve.

If we get Coutinho then I'm going to start getting more excited about our team. Potentially we could have an attacking three from Suarez, Sterling, Sturridge, Coutinho, Borini and Downing. I still expect Downing to move on at some point but he's been better lately. And Borini needs to improve but he's only young and can do a job. Then in the middle three we have Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson, Allen, Suso, Shelvey. Allen has gone off the boil and Shelvey tries to be too much like a gung ho Gerrard at times. But both have quality. Then finally we have the defence. There's rumours Barca are lining up Reina and if that happens then we've got a job on our hands to get a replacement. He's been poorer this season but he's still better than most keepers out there. I'd like to see Robinson used more at LB and I'm starting to think we need a better player than Skrtel. I like the guy but he has the odd lapse in concentration and I don't think he takes charge enough at the back and leans on Agger too much.

Overall though we have a young, pacey, tricky squad with technique and creativity. Didn't think I'd be saying that two years ago!

HIM -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (27/1/2013 11:21:45 AM)

I don't know why but I think Downing will stay for a few years and become something of a fan favourite. I don't think he'll become a regular starter but nor do I think he'll be marginalised and moved on. There's probably a better example, but the one that immediately springs to mind is Berbatov at United. He moved for a lot of money but despite some scintillating displays (his hat-trick against us for example) he never quite managed to live up to his 30m price tag. I know from personal experience that many United fans viewed him as being capable of so much, but being largely frustrating to watch. Yet in the end the majority of fans hold him in high regard and wish him nothing but good luck at Fulham. In the end the large transfer fee was a moot point.

I think this will be the case with Downing. The money we paid for him was obviously a millstone around his neck. We all expected him (as opposed to Carroll and Henderson) to be the one that hit the ground running but it just didn't happen. Now most fans realise he'll never justify the 24m we paid for him but as long as he keeps playing like he has been for the past few months he'll be here for a some years yet. And when he leaves he'll be seen as having been a good player for us despite the hefty fee, which can hardly be blamed on the player himself.

He'll probably be sold on transfer deadline day now and blow my little theory out of the water. [:-]

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (27/1/2013 12:35:23 PM)

Hmm,not sure about Coutinho.
No doubting he is talented,but so was Sahin and he produced little to nothing.
And for a reportedly extremely talented player I'm surprised Inter are so willing to part ways with him,especially for a reasonably cheap price.
But we'll see.

Nezzley -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (27/1/2013 12:38:12 PM)

Looks like a deals gonna be done for Coutinho. I remember him impressing against Spurs in the CL and he was billed as the next big thing after Rafa took over and brought through a few young players at Inter. Since then he's had a decent spell at Espanyol and Inter now seem worryingly happy to let him go, he's undoubtly talented but also similar to Sterling.

directorscut -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (27/1/2013 4:18:56 PM)

Suarez - so awesome he can play a one-two with himself.

directorscut -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (27/1/2013 4:26:26 PM)

Oldham really are nasty little bits. They are only interested in kicking lumps out of Liverpool players and starting fights. Hope Liverpool crush them.

Brooksy84 -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (27/1/2013 4:29:51 PM)

Did I really just hear Oldham fans singing "We're not racist, we only hate blacks"?

directorscut -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (27/1/2013 4:49:53 PM)

Oh Brad Jones. [sm=34.gif] [&o]

Page: <<   < prev  494 495 [496] 497 498   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI