RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand

Professor Moriarty -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (18/12/2012 10:45:58 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: HughesRoss

Well, it seems that Tom Ince is on his way back to us. A 4m fee is viturally beem agreed and he should be signed and announced on the day the transfer window opens......

Also talks are ongoing with Chelsea for the 12m sale of Sturridge, but while reports are saying that Ince is a "done-deal", Sturridge is no where near completed yet!

Nice little development fee for Blackpool there on Ince. I particularly like the idea that Liverpool get to pay themselves the sell-on clause they had [:D]

I just don't rate Sturridge I'm afraid.

jonson -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (18/12/2012 11:52:05 AM)

Gutted about Tom Ince. Not that I'm a Blackpool fan, but I do think his development would have been better staying at Blackpool or at least moving to a decent Premiership side.

And Sturridge, while I like him, can't really be worth 12 million surely?

Professor Moriarty -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (18/12/2012 12:12:44 PM)

I have a feeling somewhere in my bones that Ince was part of the Charlie Adam deal. Which means Liverpool have spent over 10M on Adam [:D]

horribleives -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (18/12/2012 3:34:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

To paraphrase Shania Twain, Allen don't impress me much. I think he's a tidy little player but when you watch him in a game he doesn't seem to affect the game to any great degree. I get that he's meant to be a metronome and keep the play ticking over, but largely this consists of receiving the ball and then passing it two yards to the nearest player. It's no wonder that his passing accuracy is so high. He's not great defensively and is rather clumsy in the tackle. He's also not great going forward and rarely, if ever, threatens the opposition goal.

I 100% get why Rodgers' brought him to Anfield. They know each other from Swansea and Allen is the type of young, 'cultured' player that Rodgers' wants playing for us but I just think there's something lacking with him. I'm not sure if it's because he's tired or whether he's started to believe the hype about himself and doesn't want to risk a more tricky pass in case it either affects his passing stats or Rodgers has a go at him for losing possession.

No idea who he might have gotten that from...

HIM -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (18/12/2012 5:52:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

To paraphrase Shania Twain, Allen don't impress me much. I think he's a tidy little player but when you watch him in a game he doesn't seem to affect the game to any great degree. I get that he's meant to be a metronome and keep the play ticking over, but largely this consists of receiving the ball and then passing it two yards to the nearest player. It's no wonder that his passing accuracy is so high. He's not great defensively and is rather clumsy in the tackle. He's also not great going forward and rarely, if ever, threatens the opposition goal.

I 100% get why Rodgers' brought him to Anfield. They know each other from Swansea and Allen is the type of young, 'cultured' player that Rodgers' wants playing for us but I just think there's something lacking with him. I'm not sure if it's because he's tired or whether he's started to believe the hype about himself and doesn't want to risk a more tricky pass in case it either affects his passing stats or Rodgers has a go at him for losing possession.

No idea who he might have gotten that from...

Probably from Rodgers.

directorscut -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (22/12/2012 6:39:10 PM)

Christmas miracles really do happen!

DOWNING SCORES!

emogeek -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (22/12/2012 6:41:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Christmas miracles really do happen!

DOWNING SCORES!

Either that or the Mayans were a day out...

Rinc -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (23/12/2012 8:44:59 AM)

Good win last night. Fulham's away form is worse than our home form but nevertheless these are games we don't always win. We need to start boosting our goal difference too as it's pretty tight around us. Inevitably we'll shoot ourselves in the foot just as we look to be going in the right direction just like we did last week.

As for the Sturridge deal, I think he's potentially a very good player. He has pace, skill and technique but his biggest problem is his brain. He constantly makes the wrong decisions which negates most of his good qualities. So if Rodgers can sort that out he'll be a great addition to the team with a forward line of Sterling - Suarez - Sturridge.

HIM -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (23/12/2012 8:09:37 PM)

I thought our midfield of Lucas-Gerrard-Shelvey was much more effective than the usual Lucas-Gerrard-Allen one. We had much more going forward with Jonjo in, instead of Allen. I'd be interested to see how we'd do with the following midfield/forward line-up too:

Lucas
Suso - Shelvey
Sterling - Suarez - Sturridge

Rinc -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (23/12/2012 11:55:12 PM)

Too many names beginning with S

Rinc -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (27/12/2012 10:31:59 AM)

Another disappointing defeat yesterday and barring Suarez we were awful. A couple of things I noticed, firstly that Rodgers didn't make changes that might have resulted in a better performacne and score. There's no point in having three in the centre against a team like Stoke who often bypass the midfield. If we want to control possession we don't always need three in the middle and we certainly didn't need three there yesterday to win the ball back. So go to two there and then use an extra man up front or in defence. It's tough to know which to go with because we've been conceding goals and lacking firepower. Personally I would've put Coates at the back to cut out the crosses and to help out muscle Jones and Walters. Johnson and Enrique were pretty much operating as wing backs anyway and Suarez still would've been alone up front but we could have built on a solid defence and gone for it later.

Secondly we're just making so many mistakes this season and often the ball is pinged about in our area like a pinball. It seems to be a combination of poor distribution when panicking and still trying to adapt to the new style. It's going to take a while to be fully effective under Rodgers and eventually I think it will click. But it's frustrating that there's a few mistakes being made and certain players (Gerrard [sm=whistle.gif]) have been awful for most of the season and yet are untouchable.

Nezzley -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (27/12/2012 10:57:00 AM)

It's an annoying habit we have this season of taking an early lead away from home then buckling under an onslaught straight after. You'd think this far into the season they could at least keep the ball for 10 mins and slow the tempo, Stoke's bloodhounds may press well but at times we just gave in to punting it anywhere across the back four rather than building from the back.

Gerrards passing was particularly poor and seems the wrong player for Rodgers system, I've lost faith in Shelvey - at first i thought he was inconsistent but he just doesn't seem to have the intelligence to play in midfield. Contrast him with Suso who has the vision and patience to be a top playmaker and it beggars belief how the latter is underused while the former bumbles aimlessly around midfield.

directorscut -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (30/12/2012 11:08:00 PM)

Seems pretty disappointing only to score 3. Liverpool should have trounced QPR by 6+

Saltire -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (31/12/2012 4:47:42 AM)

quote:

Seems pretty disappointing only to score 3. Liverpool should have trounced QPR by 6+

As long as they got the three points thats all that counts at the end of the day. Now lets see if they can do Sunderland at home - probably not the way they are just now!

Nexus Wookie -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (31/12/2012 10:56:40 AM)

Like him or loathe him (and i got for the latter!) Sairez was superb yesterday, tearing QPR a new A hole time and again. It'll be interesting to see if Liverpool can go on a winning streak. If only they can get consistency and not yo yo up and down, i dont see how they cannot make top 4. Okay.maybe not this year but with a few changes they can be up there.

Professor Moriarty -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (2/1/2013 3:39:47 PM)

Good luck to Sturridge. Be interesting to see how this next phase of his career goes, as he's done little to excite me recently.

Rinc -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (2/1/2013 4:45:44 PM)

Yeah should be interesting. I like the guy I think he's got talent but I worry about his head. Hopefully he doesn't kick up a fuss if he doesn't play through the middle because although originally I wanted Suarez on the wide right/left, he's proved excellent in the middle. Now we just need a couple of wide forwards like Sturridge who can get in the box and actually help him out. Should be interesting.

jediwarrior -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (2/1/2013 4:51:33 PM)

Nice for us to get some early transfer business in and Sturridge make his first start for us in the cup this Saturday followed by United away. [:)]

directorscut -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (2/1/2013 5:54:57 PM)

Could have bought six Michus for that.

gazpop -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (2/1/2013 6:56:52 PM)

not any more DC!! [:D]
if only we weren't so erratic/crap we might have inticed Mr Ba....and I don't mean the one from the A-team. Having said that, he will be most awesome at Chelsea [:(]
as for Sturridge, well, he blows hot and cold too, so should be a good fit for him at Liverpool

Rinc -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (2/1/2013 8:39:31 PM)

2-0 up and Suarez has been the difference again. Sunderland are leaving loads of gaps at the back which is making it easier for us but they've also had a couple of chances where they should have scored.

Also, Joe Cole looks to be heading to West Ham. Good luck to the guy, whenever he plays he gives it his all it's just that for the most part he hasn't been too good. He's shown a couple of glimpses this season of his previous self but he's a high earner who costs us a lot of money. Hope he does well at his old club.

directorscut -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (2/1/2013 11:43:06 PM)

Looks like Rodgers' philosophy is really starting to have an effect on the team now. Fantastic performance from the look of the highlights. Suarez is just plain awesome. I'd say only Messi has a better first touch.

Saltire -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (2/1/2013 11:45:36 PM)

Sturridge's price is a bit much but Liverpool can afford it and Joe Cole's wages will be off the books soon. I hope Sturridge listens to the manager and he'll develop into a very good player and signing for the club, but if he doesn't and continues to be selfish then he'll flop. It is a gamble but then so is everything I suppose.

Good perfomance on the pitch again tonight, Suarez was unplayable once more and Gerrard, slowly but surely, is finding some real form once more. I'd like to see Assaidi play more though as I don't think he's had a fair crack at a run in the squad yet and he looks a real handful on his day.

Saltire -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (2/1/2013 11:47:02 PM)

quote:

Looks like Rodgers' philosophy is really starting to have an effect on the team now. Fantastic performance from the look of the highlights. Suarez is just plain awesome. I'd say only Messi has a better first touch.

I'd put Iniesta up between the two also on first touches, but yes, Suarez is a wonderful player.

Professor Moriarty -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (3/1/2013 10:05:30 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

Sturridge's price is a bit much but Liverpool can afford it and Joe Cole's wages will be off the books soon.

3M to pack up your boots and move on to be paid a good whack by another club. Only in football, huh? Still, should make the FA Cup game more interesting this weekend.

I still can't help, but think that Suarez will move on in the summer. But I expect that he won't go for less than 35M, which would allow Liverpool to buy in a couple of additional players.

A decent run for Liverpool over X-mas, but really it has only been against struggling teams like Sunderland and QPR and they've dropped points against both Villa and Stoke. So, there might be some green shoots of recovery, but the next few will be more of a proving ground, with Utd, Arsenal and City coming up.

Rinc -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (3/1/2013 1:35:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

Sturridge's price is a bit much but Liverpool can afford it and Joe Cole's wages will be off the books soon.

3M to pack up your boots and move on to be paid a good whack by another club. Only in football, huh? Still, should make the FA Cup game more interesting this weekend.

Apparently we're saving 4m by giving him the payoff. Still, it's a completely crazy industry where someone can get that money for essentially doing nothing for 2 and a half years. My only guess is he's taking a pay cut and this sweetened the deal.

quote:

I still can't help, but think that Suarez will move on in the summer. But I expect that he won't go for less than 35M, which would allow Liverpool to buy in a couple of additional players.

I think we'd be crazy to let him go for 35m if he carries on like he is. For that we'd only be able to buy one Andy Carroll!

Saltire -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (4/1/2013 9:17:54 AM)

quote:

quote:

A decent run for Liverpool over X-mas, but really it has only been against struggling teams like Sunderland and QPR and they've dropped points against both Villa and Stoke. So, there might be some green shoots of recovery, but the next few will be more of a proving ground, with Utd, Arsenal and City coming up.

Yeah couldn't believe it when I heard that, but when has football ever been sensible.

Brooksy84 -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (6/1/2013 8:11:50 PM)

How incredibly tedious that commentators were so quick to immediately accuse Suarez of cheating today. If they're gona make statements like that with the benefit of half a dozen replays then it's a pretty sad state of affairs. Definitely should have been spotted by the officials but not deliberate at all.
Still, good to make the next round, nice to see Sturridge get a goal and a pretty decent tie on the cards all things considered.

Rinc -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (6/1/2013 9:08:17 PM)

I'm just about on the side that it was ball to hand rather than an instinctive hand to ball. You can see the way his hand follows through to behind him as if he was trying to move it out of the way. Either way it should have been disallowed but the commentators' lambasting of Suarez is not just over the top but pretty tiresome. He's an easy target yes but to label him an outright cheat and to question why he didn't own up was stupid and hypocritical. Would they have said the same about most other players? No.

jediwarrior -> RE: Liverpool - 2005/06 (7/1/2013 9:19:52 AM)

No surprise from ESPN, every game I've seen them cover of Liverpool they're always digging on Suarez about something. Jon Champion is a total muppet. Glad I no longer pay for the channel anymore and quite glad ESPN will be losing the football soon.

Page: <<   < prev  493 494 [495] 496 497   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI