Deadwood (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen

RuffKut -> Deadwood (6/7/2006 7:57:27 PM)

Ok then, for all of us who've remained spoiler free and have resisted the temptation to download - Deadwood kicks off again this evening on Sky One...

Let's keep all future episode spoilers out of this thread please....

See you all at 11pm!

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Deadwood Season Three (Sky One) Thread... (6/7/2006 8:36:46 PM)

Cocksuckers assemble! Cannot wait for this to start...

RuffKut -> RE: Deadwood Season Three (Sky One) Thread... (7/7/2006 9:59:21 AM)

What did everybody think then? I thought it was a pretty decent opener, but not a patch on the barnstormer that opened Season Two....

It was great to see (and hear) the folks again though...although I'm kinda sad that the place is becoming almost respectable and not quite the lawless place it was when we first visited.

DJ Satan -> RE: Deadwood Season Three (Sky One) Thread... (7/7/2006 10:34:31 AM)

I enjoyed it. We've been waiting for Farnum to get a good beating since episode 1.

As usual I didn't have a clue what was going on for the first half of the show but I quickly caught up in the second half.

And was it just me but did everyone suddenly look a lot older in this series - especially the women - except the good doctor?

"Custer was a Cunt!"

RuffKut -> RE: Deadwood Season Three (Sky One) Thread... (7/7/2006 10:53:16 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

And was it just me but did everyone suddenly look a lot older in this series - especially the women - except the good doctor?

Can't say that I'd noticed...but I did think Al looked a little different but I couldn't quite put my finger on why...I reckon it might have been cos I'd got so used to seeing him with a bruised face.

quote:

"Custer was a Cunt!"

Gawd bless Jane...I loved the bit where Utter looked across at her and she just flipped him the finger and walked off.

vernieboy -> RE: Deadwood Season Three (Sky One) Thread... (7/7/2006 11:01:12 AM)

an enjoyable first episode i agree with ruffy about it being a shame that it seems a bit more respectable.
On another note however i read the other day that this is likely to be the last series with only a couple of TV movies afterwards to tie things up so i'm expecting a lot to happen this season

RuffKut -> RE: Deadwood Season Three (Sky One) Thread... (7/7/2006 12:58:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: vernieboy

On another note however i read the other day that this is likely to be the last series with only a couple of TV movies afterwards to tie things up so i'm expecting a lot to happen this season.

I think the decision was made after they finished shooting though, so I expect it'll just be a normal season with all the loose ends being dealt with in the feature length versions.

I heard Brain Cox talking about the reasons behind the 2 tv movies on the radio a few weeks back....the way he told it was that as soon as news got out that HBO wouldn't be making a fourth season loads and loads of HBO subscribers threatened to pull their subscriptions unless more Deadwood got made! Power to the people!

Happy Shrapnel -> RE: Deadwood Season Three (Sky One) Thread... (13/7/2006 10:32:17 AM)

Guys I really want to catch this show, does anyone know if its coming to terrestial Tv ?
I suppose with all the swearing there's No Way !
Shame ![:@]

Mycroft -> RE: Deadwood Season Three (Sky One) Thread... (13/7/2006 12:42:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RuffKut

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

Can't say that I'd noticed...but I did think Al looked a little different but I couldn't quite put my finger on why...I reckon it might have been cos I'd got so used to seeing him with a bruised face.

I thought that too somehow. I think McShane's tache wasn't fully grown maybe. The first episode felt kind of strange somehow, they tried to fit too many of the characters into it. I wouldn't worry about the quality this season though, it really picks up.

lulu karma -> RE: Deadwood Season Three (Sky One) Thread... (21/8/2006 6:13:36 AM)

So what has everyone thought of Deadwood season 3 now that it's moved along?  I have one more episode after tonight's and it was truly sad as to how the plot has turned.  I've enjoyed this season a lot after a slightly slow season start.

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: Deadwood Season Three (Sky One) Thread... (21/8/2006 9:40:59 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: lulu karma

So what has everyone thought of Deadwood season 3 now that it's moved along?  I have one more episode after tonight's and it was truly sad as to how the plot has turned.  I've enjoyed this season a lot after a slightly slow season start.

We are only upto Leviathan Smiles in the UK still 3 episode behind the US.

lulu karma -> RE: Deadwood Season Three (Sky One) Thread... (21/8/2006 11:54:56 PM)

What do you think of it so far though?  I am pretty amazed at how it's heated up the last couple episodes.  So you have a lot to look forward to. [:)]

Mycroft -> RE: Deadwood Season Three (Sky One) Thread... (22/8/2006 12:20:18 AM)

Its been fantastic after a slow first episode. I'm 4 episodes behind the US schedule, I've been downloading them each week but I'm too afraid to watch them, I don't want it to end [:(]

lulu karma -> RE: Deadwood Season Three (Sky One) Thread... (22/8/2006 12:33:26 AM)

I've been reading mixed reports about the demise of the show.  They are saying now that viewer support may lead to season four.  They are not saying on HBO that it is the last season.  The last episode is next Sunday and when they announced it, they didn't say anything about it being the end of the series.

So, I'm not sure if they plan to continue it on with films as I read or if they have decided to keep the show afterall. [8|]

Mycroft -> RE: Deadwood Season Three (Sky One) Thread... (22/8/2006 12:51:57 AM)

Far as I know they're wrapping it up with 2, 2 hour specials, and then Milch is moving on to that surfing project. [&:] But then, there's going to be quite a break before they get filmed, so maybe something can happen in the meantime. Not sure what Milch thinks about the whole thing, if he wants to continue or not. I'm sure he wanted to do a full season but I think I read somewhere he's fed-up of being jerked around, maybe wrong.

Do networks in the US ever say it's going to be the last season, rather than letting things go with an unceremonious whimper? As long as the story is resolved properly I'll be relieved. It's the same situation as with Arrested Development, I wanted more but it was wrapped up in such a great way I was in two minds if I wanted it to continue. Deadwood is definately strong enough to carry on if everyone gets on board.

lulu karma -> RE: Deadwood Season Three (Sky One) Thread... (22/8/2006 4:07:27 PM)

Sometimes the fans are surprised by a season ending only to find the series cancelled.  If the series is ending, usually they do let you know, but the last time that didn't happen was with Carnivale.  That really tweaked me off. [:@]

Brock -> RE: Deadwood Season Three (Sky One) Thread... (22/8/2006 9:16:39 PM)

I truly hope the last episode features an extended scene of Bullock and Al taking turns to beat Hearst with a plank with rusty nails in.

Sure, it would compeltely destroy the level of historical accuracy the show has carefully maintained thus far, but it would be very satisfying to watch.

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: Deadwood Season Three (Sky One) Thread... (23/8/2006 2:04:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brock

I truly hope the last episode features an extended scene of Bullock and Al taking turns to beat Hearst with a plank with rusty nails in.

Sure, it would compeltely destroy the level of historical accuracy the show has carefully maintained thus far, but it would be very satisfying to watch.

There is so much they could do I really do hope they don't wrap it up.  Real life spoilers.

We still have the Gem burning down only for Al to rebuild it, the destruction of the hardware and the new Bullock hotel. Seth and Teddy Roosevelt's friendship, and Sol becoming Mayor. Charlie Utter leaving and coming back for the great fire which kills so many of the regulars.  There are 2 or three seasons worth here.

However I fear with the continued fire truck story line everything will be wrapped up in the great fire wiping out most of the town and cast.

demoncleaner -> RE: Deadwood Season Three (Sky One) Thread... (12/1/2009 1:20:44 PM)

I know that I am really late coming to Deadwood, but I got the complete boxset for Christmas and am nearing the end of season 3.  I can’t begin to fathom how incredible a TV show this was, and it belatedly pains me to reference it in the past tense.  There’s another pang of disappointment in finding that the impeccable and idiosyncratic cast didn’t immediately leap to public attention following Deadwood’s demise in 2007.  Olyphant and Dourif have apparently gone back to middle-interest pop-corners and DTV schlock respectively. Only Ian McShane continues to plough a moderately respectable furrow and I’ll be looking forward to 44 Inch Chest with greater aplomb.  I’ll also be keeping an eye out on IMDB for anyone who put pen to paper in scripting Deadwood throughout its short history – its dialogue and plotting akin to bottled lightning. Bloody fantastic.

BTW - does anyone know why actor Garrett Dillahunt played two separate characters in seasons 1 and 2, and why both were despicable c**ts?[:D]    He must be the go-to-guy for c**ts!

CORLEONE -> RE: Deadwood Season Three (Sky One) Thread... (12/1/2009 1:42:27 PM)

I just think that Dillahunt is highly rated by the creator, Milch. He's almost unrecognisable as Jack McCall!. Glad you liked it. Really is one of the best TV shows ever. Some people moan about the bad language, but I find the dialogue strangely poetic! 

demoncleaner -> RE: Deadwood Season Three (Sky One) Thread... (12/1/2009 2:34:16 PM)

Definitely! I think as far as the (wonderful) profanity is concerned, Deadwood is still something I could happily watch with my Dad for instance.  I think that’s because it is pretty evident that there is such a degree of consideration put into the writing to make it lyrical, authentic, baroque, earthy and beautiful that the swearing cannot be evidence of a slothful approach or dearth of vocabulary.  I think it’s great that there is a division between the “polite” characters who would refrain from calling a spade a spade and therefore have to go round the houses in euphemism and those that are less coy.  There’s a monumental and varied amount of writing muscle that has to be exercised throughout the course of it.  I love the fact that each character has a distinctive voice and must be tailored to.  I loved Farnum’s soliciting for instance, Tolliver’s verbal sadism, Swearengen’s arch sarcasm and even the embarrassed “gender-relations” that Bullock has to traverse with Alma as well as Mrs. Bullock.  Who would begrudge the odd “cocksucker” amid that?[:D]    I think my favourite line so far, of which I’m equally appalled and impressed by, in its evil tactfulness, is Tolliver’s question to Wolcott on whether he’s ever ridden a prostitute “off the cliff”? 

There seems to be such a literate tradition behind it that I wonder if Milch or anyone else involved has published prose outside of television scripts?  One to wiki I suppose.

Bickle -> RE: Deadwood Season Three (Sky One) Thread... (12/1/2009 2:44:35 PM)

I watched all three seasons with my Dad and he loved them as much as me. Garrett Dillahunt is doing really well for himself at the moment. He was in No Country For Old Men, The Assassination of Jesse James and he's appearing in The Road and Last House On The Left this year.

CORLEONE -> RE: Deadwood Season Three (Sky One) Thread... (12/1/2009 3:58:29 PM)

I don't think I could watch the scene where Al is complaining about the blowjob technique of that chubby whore with my Mum...

But still, great show [:D]

Mozza -> RE: Deadwood Season Three (Sky One) Thread... (12/1/2009 7:40:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bickle

I watched all three seasons with my Dad and he loved them as much as me. Garrett Dillahunt is doing really well for himself at the moment. He was in No Country For Old Men, The Assassination of Jesse James and he's appearing in The Road and Last House On The Left this year.

Lest we forget he's also the villain in Sarah Connor Chronicles.

richCie -> RE: Deadwood Season Three (Sky One) Thread... (13/1/2009 9:44:34 AM)

i watced the very first episode on the net the other day. was pretty good. i really should start watching some more but i still need to finish off watching Firefly adn Band of Brothers first. oh and Life on Mars hasnt veen been started (did watch it when it was on tv though)

Dave B -> RE: Deadwood Season Three (Sky One) Thread... (15/1/2009 1:06:29 PM)

I just finished watching the complete series and TV has rarely been this poetic. Everything about this show just screams quality and brilliance, from the acting, to the cinematography and to the oh so important dialogue. I agree with everything demoncleaner said, especially about the dialogue; it tough to make swearing interesting without seeming juvenile but this shows does it episode after episode. I just love how un-PC it is, especially when television usually has to be so careful about being polically correct. My favourite line is when Al see's Jewel walking slowly up the stairs and says to himself, "Every steps a fucking adventure." A horrible thing to say but horribly brilliant and the amazing thing is we love Al not inspite of his attitude but because of it.

I think my only criticism is season 2 is very hard to follow at times and gets bogged down by too much story about Yankton. Still season 3 was right back on form, sustaining a level of tension so high for much of the season that most films can't sustain for two hours.

Any heard anything about these TV movies?

demoncleaner -> RE: Deadwood (15/1/2009 1:42:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave B

I just finished watching the complete series and TV has rarely been this poetic. Everything about this show just screams quality and brilliance, from the acting, to the cinematography and to the oh so important dialogue. I agree with everything demoncleaner said, especially about the dialogue; it tough to make swearing interesting without seeming juvenile but this shows does it episode after episode. I just love how un-PC it is, especially when television usually has to be so careful about being polically correct. My favourite line is when Al see's Jewel walking slowly up the stairs and says to himself, "Every steps a fucking adventure." A horrible thing to say but horribly brilliant and the amazing thing is we love Al not inspite of his attitude but because of it.

I think my only criticism is season 2 is very hard to follow at times and gets bogged down by too much story about Yankton. Still season 3 was right back on form, sustaining a level of tension so high for much of the season that most films can't sustain for two hours.

Any heard anything about these TV movies?

So far I’m finding season 3 probably the least compelling of the series (understand there’s only a very minimal drop-off ).  It’s probably because Swearengen’s arc appears to have reached its destination (from villain, to tyrant, to lesser of three evils, to proper all-out-route-for-him anti-hero).  I think the show is at the peak of its powers when Swearengen’s actions and motives are somewhat at odds with our begrudged liking of him.  My preference so far is season 2 therefore as that tide perceptibly but effortlessly turns.   I thought it was a masterstroke to show that everyone who works for him and have been mercilessly bullied by him actually love him [:D].

I see there’s a couple of books available about the real-life Deadwood and its characters that I’ll definitely be getting after I finish this.  Its also worth pointing out that I bloody hate Westerns and that's the reason why I didn't invest in this show earlier.  It's safe to say it's redefined a genre for me.

Dave B -> RE: Deadwood (15/1/2009 4:13:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: demoncleaner

I think the show is at the peak of its powers when Swearengen's actions and motives are somewhat at odds with our begrudged liking of him.

The last episode brings this into sharp focus again and brings up a lot of questions about him and the situation between him and Hurst. I love season 3 because of the esculating tension between the camp and Hurst; I felt it played out brilliantly, with the conclusion giving you a lot to think about.

Zaphod121 -> RE: Deadwood (15/1/2009 7:39:57 PM)

Too bad the TV movies most likely aren't getting made [:(]

BlueBalls -> RE: Deadwood (15/1/2009 9:53:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

Too bad the TV movies most likely aren't getting made [:(]

Thats a shame, Deadwood is one of my favourite show, and to see it end the way it did in season 3 and for there to never be any resolution pisses me off!!!

I dont get it, The Wire which is my favourite show of all time had basically no audience except me and maybe 6 other people but HBO stuck by it. But I'm sure Deadwood was a more popular show and they cancel the contracts of the actors, seems strange to me.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI