James Dyer -> Forum Rules and Guidelines - READ THIS FIRST (27/6/2006 3:27:24 PM)
General Forum Rules: Conduct, Avatar Sizes, Etc.
Here is a short list of general forum rules. The rules of conduct are enforced and the moderators will check avatars from time to time to make sure they do not contravene the size limits below. Users that that are over the limit, will be notified by PM so that they have a chance to resize the image before it is removed by a mod.
Signature smilies not following the rules are easy enough to spot! Smilies not following the rules will be removed and the user notified by PM.
Rules of Conduct:
The rules are fairly simple. By signing up to Empire you agree not to post content that contains:
1. Racism, homophobia, sexism or other forms of offensive bigotry.
2. Libellous remarks (that could lead to us being sued).
3. Images or links showing pornography, nudity (specifically, exposed genitalia or breasts) or film scenes rated higher than a 12 certification.
4. Spoilers - these should be avoided where possible, but if you absolutely must post a spoiler, always mark it clearly in the subject of your post and flag it within the text. You may also wish to use "invisotext" to make it invisible to readers unless specifically selected. To do so simply tag your spoiler with the following code: [ color=#F1F1F1]spoiler goes here[ /color] (remove the space at the start of each tag to get it to work!) Even invisotext spoilers should be flagged as described above!.
5. Malicious or overtly antagonistic attacks on other members just for the sake of it (trolling).
6. Spamming of threads is not permitted. Spamming is overall defined as:
-Habitually derailing or changing topics. This definitely applies if the behavior continues after moderator intervention.
-Idle chat that could be confined to a PM message, email or thread set up specifically for chatter.
-Threads posted to advertise.
7. Discussions about banned members.
You can swear but try not to be excessively obscene.
Under the Terms and Conditions of the website, registering on the forum soley as a means to promote another site or company is not allowed. Referrals from established forum members for sites may be posted with agreement from one of the Empire Team/moderator.
Duplicate Threads or Posting Threads in the Wrong Forum
Before starting a new thread, you should always use the search function to ensure that the subject has not already been raised. If there is an existing thread (and it doesn't matter how old it is!) post in it rather than start a new one. Duplicate threads will be locked by the moderators. Where two or more threads are started simultaneously, only the first thread opened will be allowed to remain. Any thread started in the wrong forum will be moved to the appropriate forum. In both these matters the moderators' decision is final.
In the Special Forums, threads started by 'Empire Admin' will get precedence in the case where duplicate threads occur. This is because they contain links to the main part of the site.
Avatar and Signature Image Sizes:
Avatars should not exceed 150K. While the Avatar Police won't come after you for being at 150,001K, please keep in mind that we still have users on dial up and that during heavy use the forum can be slow to load several huge images - even for those of us on zippy broadband!
Smilies in sigs are allowed if they are no larger than 5K and if they are comparable in visual size to post smilies used on the forum. Banners are definitely not allowed. Signature smilies not meeting these limits will be removed by a mod and the user notified by PM.
For information about how to make special links and other posting "tricks", check out The How To List.
To ask for an avatar, check out the Make Me An Avatar thread.
What Do Moderators... Do?
Moderators are selected by the current moderator team to assist in keeping peace on the forums, moving threads and doing other needed maintenance. To answer the two most asked questions about moderators: Moderators are not paid for their services and new moderators are added only on an as needed basis.
A complete list of moderators may be found by clicking Moderators under each forum heading or by clicking HERE.
Moderators can assist with forum questions and issues.
If you have any queries about the above feel free to contact one of the mods or drop me a line HERE.