The Best Bond Film? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films

matbeard236 -> The Best Bond Film? (26/6/2006 8:48:29 PM)

Yes I'm well aware that its a constantly asked question although the slant is usally on who is the best Bond? I'm more interested in which Bond film you all belive to be the best. I'm personally undecided although I can certainly name some of the worst.

Empire seems to prefer Goldfinger above all but i'm not too sure. In terms of direction, dialogue, set pieces e.t.c which of the franchise is the best?

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: The Best Bond Film? (26/6/2006 9:11:07 PM)

From Russia With Love gets my vote.

twje90 -> RE: The Best Bond Film? (26/6/2006 9:17:29 PM)

I love them all really. Am a big Connery and Brosnan fan. The new ones are obviously more modern but i think the old Connery ones get my vote, i can't name a single film because i love them all!

Timon -> RE: The Best Bond Film? (26/6/2006 9:45:41 PM)

I know no-one else will vote for this, so i will.

[image]http://93ol.diy.myrice.com/dyhb/007/00714.jpg[/image]

After the mess that was A View To A Kill, the franchise could only improve...and it did with The Living Daylights.
Dalton is a tougher grittier Bond who to this day, i maintain, is the closest to the book version of Bond. Here was a man who had no qualms about killing, did not really enjoy his job but did it well. The opening intro where Bond and two fellow 00 agents attempt to invade a Gibralter station for an excercise is amazing and the stunt work just makes you realises why stuntmen will always be better than digital doubles.

This Bond film had everything - a gritty Cold War feel, a great car (Aston Martin Volante), Felix Leiter, an awesome theme from A-ha and a pulse pounding score. The only place it really falls down is in the villain department -  Brad Wittiker and Koskov aren't the most threating of villains but they are nothing compared to henchman Necros! With his method of killing people whilst listening to The Pretender - Where Has Everybody Gone, he's probably the best henchman since Jaws. His final fight with Bond is one of the best stunts the franchise has ever produced.

[image]http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/images/bond-livdl-05.jpg[/image]

Today, Bond's alliance with the Mujahardin to invade a Russian Airforce Base may be a bit dodgy but the action more than makes up for it with Art Malik as the charasmatic leader of the Afghan Resistance.....

Which brings me on to the action.....fisticuffs, deaths of 00 agents all over the place, tobogaging in a cello case...this film has it all. And that is why The Living Daylights is the best Bond film.....well joint tied with Goldfinger and Thunderball.

Other great Bond films of mention are;

Thunderball - My favorite Connery film. Had everything you could ask for.
You Only Live Twice - Ninjas, hollowed out volcanoes, Little Nellie....love it.
For Your Eyes Only - Best Moore film. Dark and gritty and the best ski chase in the franchise. The disposal of Blofeld is a bit crap though considering what a nemesis he is. Saying that, i do like The Spy Who Loved Me for the final battle between the freed submarine crews and Stromberg's stooges.
Goldeneye - Great film
Goldfinger - Classic
Tomorrow Never Dies - Underrated...you can't beat Bond's entrance into the arms fair at the beginning.

24Dan -> RE: The Best Bond Film? (26/6/2006 9:47:50 PM)

[image]http://007.bond.free.fr/images/Films/Affiches/on-her-majestys-secret-service_affiche-fr.jpg[/image]

Im joking of course.
I dont even like Bond films that much.

nuttjob -> RE: The Best Bond Film? (26/6/2006 10:13:37 PM)

I'm going to have to be predictable and go for this one...

[image]http://www.homevideos.com/coversapril2000/goldeneye.jpg[/image]

doncopey1 -> RE: The Best Bond Film? (26/6/2006 11:16:24 PM)

Goldfinger by a great length followed by Dr No and Thunderball.

ladykiller -> RE: The Best Bond Film? (26/6/2006 11:42:36 PM)

I really like and rate Thunderball

But I also love on her majestys secret service, I think it gets alot of stick but I really like the vulnerability that is seen in Bond when he finds true love and then its taken from him.

Im not a brosnan fan I liked his take on bond, but I did really like Dalton to, I like the grittier bond rather than people trying to be like sean connery. Ok enough of the rant.

So I do agree with you Timon on the living daylights!   

Mason Verger -> RE: The Best Bond Film? (26/6/2006 11:56:01 PM)

[image]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00000K0E7.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1056650725_.gif[/image]

zombiemaster -> RE: The Best Bond Film? (27/6/2006 6:27:14 PM)

Golden eye

BobaJango -> RE: The Best Bond Film? (27/6/2006 8:38:28 PM)

1. Goldfinger
2. Goldeneye
3. A view to a kill

whomas -> RE: The Best Bond Film? (27/6/2006 9:09:03 PM)

from russia with love and the living daylights are me faves

Mojo -> RE: The Best Bond Film? (27/6/2006 9:14:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: nuttjob

Seconded, absolutely brilliant film.

Jagsman1971 -> RE: The Best Bond Film? (27/6/2006 10:20:12 PM)

Love the Bond movies and my favourite since I was a kid is Goldfinger and it's also one of the movies that has a far better plot than the book.

I also have a soft spot for The Spy who Loved me.  Stolen Submarines, underwater Lotus's, Barbara Bach, Union Jack parachutes and dodgy dialouge.  Kubrick doing the lighting, Renoir's Grandson doing the photography.  Completly ridiculous, but so much fun.  In fact I've just stuck the DVD on so I'm in far a crackin couple of hours.

Peter A. Quinn -> RE: The Best Bond Film? (28/6/2006 7:12:14 AM)

[image]http://www.rotaryaction.com/images/spywlme1.jpg[/image]
Right on, Jagsman. The Spy Who Loved Me has brilliantly staged action sequences, great locations, a little help from Mr.Kubrick, and the biggest set in film history. Who needs Connery? This one delivers the goods, and then some. Still the best-looking Bond film ever. My second choice would be From Russia With Love-Robert Shaw was Bond's most fearsome adversary. [:)]

BobaJango -> RE: The Best Bond Film? (28/6/2006 12:48:13 PM)

[image]http://bond007.webcindario.com/images/zorin1.jpg[/image] Best bad guy = Max Zorin!

Monkeyshaver -> RE: The Best Bond Film? (28/6/2006 1:11:10 PM)

The Spy Who Loved Me. It’s everything a Bond film should be, practically a greatest hits of 007 with great gadgets, henchmen, girls, wonderful sets from Ken Adam, Lewis Gilbert returning to the series after 10 years, a never beaten precredits sequence & superb one-liners from the definitive Bond, Sir Roger Moore.

KnightofZyryab -> RE: The Best Bond Film? (28/6/2006 3:03:56 PM)

I'm more acquainted with the modern films so I'd say for me that Goldeneye and Tomorrow Never Dies are my favourites, but I also enjoyed The Living Daylights, Live and Let Die, and A View To A Kill.

obsessive_chick -> RE: The Best Bond Film? (28/6/2006 11:28:39 PM)

I like Tomorrow Never Dies, but I also love Goldeneye (only a tiny bit to do with the fact that Sean Bean's in it).

matty_b -> RE: The Best Bond Film? (29/6/2006 9:52:25 AM)

The Living Daylights is tremendous - hanging out of the back of the plane? Brilliant stuntwork -, For Your Eyes Only is Moore's best and the most under rated, but the best of all?

On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

*emz6* -> RE: The Best Bond Film? (29/6/2006 12:43:10 PM)

Clearly its gotta be Thunderball, i love this film it really makes me laugh aswell. i used to watch it with my bro when i was younger its a great bond film just pure entertainment.

Companero -> RE: The Best Bond Film? (29/6/2006 12:59:20 PM)

Thought of some more categories for us to rate the films on:

Favourite bond film: On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Favourite Bond: Sean Connery

From Russia With Love is definitely one of my favourites, as is the Spy Who Loved Me.

Most underrated film: Licence To Kill

Worst Bond Film: Die Another Day, without question,  by a country mile...

Best pre-credit sequence: Diamonds Are Forever

Best Song: Moonraker

Best Villain: Telly Savalas as Blofeld in OHMSS

Best Henchman: Odd Job, Goldfinger

Best Bond Girl: Diana Rigg as Tracey, OHMSS

Best Car: Lotus Esprit, The Spy Who Loved Me

Best Baddie Lair: Stromberg's, Spy Who Loved Me

The Mighty Quinn -> RE: The Best Bond Film? (29/6/2006 6:35:46 PM)

Goldfinger for me, although I do like all of the Connery films, Goldfinger is the most iconic, with some of the most memorable dialogue and set pices in the whole series. The Spy who loved me is my favourite non-Connery film, for reasons mentioned before, its just great fun and doesn't pretend to be anything else.

Q.T -> RE: The Best Bond Film? (29/6/2006 9:36:04 PM)

I'm almost definitely the only person in the universe to have really liked this, but it's kind of my very guilty pleasure

[image]http://www.klast.net/bond/dad/I-poster.jpg[/image]

Fine, invisible cars, weird plastic surgery and super duper sattellites were all stupidly over the top and ludicrously ridiculous, but the action was so fucking kickass and even the acting proved that Brosnan was the best Bond

Deviation -> RE: The Best Bond Film? (1/7/2006 5:49:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q.T

I'm almost definitely the only person in the universe to have really liked this, but it's kind of my very guilty pleasure

[image]http://www.klast.net/bond/dad/I-poster.jpg[/image]

Fine, invisible cars, weird plastic surgery and super duper sattellites were all stupidly over the top and ludicrously ridiculous, but the action was so fucking kickass and even the acting proved that Brosnan was the best Bond

Not really, actually alongside Goldfinger, this is my favourite Bond film.

steelydan3 -> RE: The Best Bond Film? (1/7/2006 9:14:47 PM)

You're wrong, Timon, because here's another person voting for it! Sad but true-it's not just my favourite Bond film but my favourite film ever.  I know it's not even considered the best Bond film, but I never tire of watching it and it is my most watched film. 

I agree with the reasons you have given above but I thought I would say why I like it too.  First of all, it was the first Bond that I seen.  I was actually only 6, 14 years ago in 1992, and still remember seeing the kitchen fight at the safe house from my first viewing.  Secondly, Dalton as Bond, or should I say-Dalton is Bond!  I know he has quite a few critics, but I love Dalton's portrayal.  In fact, this is the Bond cast where I like nearly everybody.  Maryam d'Abo is my favourite Bond girl, John Rhys-Davies is fantastic as always, I do like Jeroen Krabbé, ditto Joe Don Baker, Art Malik, Andreas Wieniewski, who is my favourite henchman, kudos to whoever had the idea of having The Pretenders on his walkman, and strangling his victims with his headphones, fantastic, and last but not least, Thomas Wheatley, among the others I haven't name, as well as the regular cast........

What else can I say?  The locations are fantastic too, Barry's score while in the desert makes me want to go to Morocco and ride a horse with a female companion!  The first shot we see of Art Malik's gang, Bond and Kara in the desert at sunset is amazing.  There actually hasn't been another film outside the Bond films that has made me want to visit a place, but I have to pick this one in particular.  As I hinted at, I also love the soundtrack, John Barry's last, and what a soundtrack!  It is the only soundtrack as well that I've listened to as much as any other albums in my collection.  I love a-ha's theme, my favourite Bond theme.

I also like a lot of the scenes, the opening sequence, the Aston Martin scenes, the Afghanistan scenes to name but three..........There's probably other reasons why I like this film so much but have missed out. 

I have said too much, and even what I have said hasn't been very eloquent but I had to say I absolutely love this film.  Hopefully, I'll get someone to like it as much as I do one day!  In the meantime, I'm looking forward to watching it again, for the 2nd time this year and of the summer on July 17th [:)]

It's always nice to meet a new fan of this film too [:D]

Dr Lenera -> RE: The Best Bond Film? (2/7/2006 11:43:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Companero

Thought of some more categories for us to rate the films on:

Favourite bond film: On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Favourite Bond: Sean Connery

From Russia With Love is definitely one of my favourites, as is the Spy Who Loved Me.

Most underrated film: Licence To Kill

Worst Bond Film: Die Another Day, without question,  by a country mile...

Best pre-credit sequence: Diamonds Are Forever

Best Song: Moonraker

Best Villain: Telly Savalas as Blofeld in OHMSS

Best Henchman: Odd Job, Goldfinger

Best Bond Girl: Diana Rigg as Tracey, OHMSS

Best Car: Lotus Esprit, The Spy Who Loved Me

Best Baddie Lair: Stromberg's, Spy Who Loved Me

I'm a Bond fan,I'll do this.

Favourite Bond film:YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
Favourite Bond:SEAN CONNERY
Most underrated film:DIE ANOTHER DAY{just don't understand the hate.....}
Worst Bond film:LICENCE TO KILL
Best pre credits scene:GOLDENEYE
Best song:We Have All The Time In The World,ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE
Best villain:Francisco Scaramanga,THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN
Best henchman;Red Grant,FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE
Best girl:Tracy Vicenzo,ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE
Best car:Aston Martin DB5,GOLDFINGER,THUNDERBALL
Best baddie lair:volano,YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

Mikey 6 -> RE: The Best Bond Film? (2/7/2006 4:35:00 PM)

Either

[image]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000FIKUAM.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V51608592_.jpg[/image]

or

[image]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000FIKX0Y.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V51608592_.jpg[/image]

kumar -> RE: The Best Bond Film? (2/7/2006 6:55:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mojo

quote:

ORIGINAL: nuttjob

Seconded, absolutely brilliant film.

thirded. best bond ever. hasnt been beaten yet, and im interested in what Daniel Craig can do.

Indio -> RE: The Best Bond Film? (2/7/2006 6:55:50 PM)

Goldfinger, followed by The Spy Who Loved Me.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI