RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Wolverine1988 -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (5/6/2006 11:30:00 PM)

My knowledge of the X-men is from the animated TV series, movies and a lot of internet based research. I know enough to say that the X-men universe is constantly changing and hundreds of things happened to many characters (In fact Magneto & Charles were once cured)

Now seeing as I answered your question, I'd appreciate it if you answer mine:

What would you suggest the X-men do to defeat Magneto? Don't back out of it as you did earlier. If you can't come up with a better idea that works in the context of the film, than you're not in a position to knock it either.

I also found something you previously mentioned very interesting, the sentence being "the weapons of our enemy". By that you are referring to humanity. WAKE UP CALL! Magneto is the enemy! Sure, the humans are misguided but they're not the enemy (at least not in this particular film). It's Magneto who opposes the X-men's views of tolerance. Therefore their decison to cure him, meaning that they defeated without having to resort to harming him was certainly justifiable. He became the very thing he wishes to eradicate.

The Captain -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (5/6/2006 11:48:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wolverine1988

My knowledge of the X-men is from the TV series and a lot of internet based research. Seeing as I answered your question, answer mine:

What would you suggest the X-men do to defeat Magneto? Don't back out of it as you did earlier. If you can't come up with a better idea that works in the context of the film, than you're not in a position to knock it.

I also found something you previously mentioned very interesting, the sentence being "the weapons of our enemy". By that you are referring to humanity. WAKE UP CALL! Magneto is the enemy! Sure, the humans are misguided but they're not the enemy (at least not in this film). It's Magneto who opposes the X-men's views of tolerance. Therefore their decison to cure him, meaning that they defeated without having to resort to harming him was certainly justifiable. He became the very thing he wishes to eradicate.

Right for a start you claim that i do not get it , well i am very sorry to tell you but i have actually read these characters for years and if your knowledge goes as deep as research and the tv series then i think you are very quick to say that i do not get them , and yes maybe i am a fan boy , but that gives me a hell of a lot more insight into the x- men than it does you !

As i stated earlier i am no screenwriter but if you are telling me that the only way that they could stop him was to use the cure then i do not buy it , as i said it is the easiest and lazyiest way of defeating him and tieing the film up ! Since you really do love your research why dont you go and see how they have stopped magneto the many numerous times in the comic , yea they have both been cured before am not denying it , i just refuse to sit here and be told i do not get something by someone who does not read the medium from which these characters come from !

WAKE UP CALL ! the x - men are all about tolerance and trying to find a way in which humans and mutants can live together in harmony , that does not include taking away a persons right ( mutant or human ) to be who they are , even if it is magneto ! It goes against Xaviers teachings ! Maybe i did not express my self very clearly when i said the weapons of the enemy but you are right the humans are not the enemy in this film , even though they do turn the cure into a weapon and use it against mutants !

You want to knock my views and tell me that i do not get this or that , fine ! Make damn sure before you say that though that the person you are talking to has not grown up with these characters and has a very good understanding of what makes them them !

Wolverine1988 -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (6/6/2006 12:04:27 AM)

I can't believe it! Once again you haven't answered my question. Instead of finding a solution, you've simply resorted to repeating the problem.

Of course the X-men stand for tolerance but they are there to keep the peace BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY! It's not like they stop and say, "Hmmm, if we stop and talk about things?" The chance to make peace is over and now it's war, meaning that sacrifices have to be made.

God save them because they decided that it's better to stop a powerful mutant bent on eradicating the human race by removing him of his powers. To label them traitors for defending the greater good is ridiculous and shameful. From what I gather it's alright by you to kill mutants who oppose them but heaven forbid that they remove their powers because that would be really bad. If that's your line of thought then it's extremely irrational.

Also, your decision to re-use "WAKE UP CALL" shows nothing but immaturity from your part.

As you said, you probably are a fan boy and that is where your argument loses it's credibility because you're so attached to something that you believe to be so sacred, that anything that can possibly contradict it must automatically be blasphemous. I think it's time you grow up and learn that these are comics. Comics that for years have been altered drastically in some way or another. There is no true definitive version of the X-men universe, only the one you chose for yourself. I think it's time you learnt some tolerance.

The Captain -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (6/6/2006 12:12:20 AM)

quote:

I can't believe it! Once again you haven't answered my question. Instead of finding a solution, you've simply resorted to repeating the problem.

Of course the X-men stand for tolerance but they are there to keep the peace BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY! It's not like they stop and say, "Hmmm, if we stop and talk about things?" The chance to make peace is over and now it's war, meaning that sacrifices have to be made.

God save them because they decided that it's better to stop a powerful mutant bent on eradicating the human race by removing him of his powers. To label them traitors for defending the greater good is ridiculous and shameful. From what I gather it's alright by you to kill mutants who oppose them but heaven forbid that they remove their powers because that would be really bad. If that's your line of thought then it's extremely irrational.

Also, your decision to re-use "WAKE UP CALL" shows nothing but immaturity from your part.

As you said, you probably are a fan boy and that is where your argument loses it's credibility because you're so attached to something that you believe to be so sacred, that anything that can possibly contradict it must automatically be blasphemous. I think it's time you grow up and learn that these are comics. Comics that for years have been altered drastically in some way or another. There is no true definitive version of the X-men universe, only the one you chose for yourself. I think it's time you learnt some tolerance.

oh brilliant , your argument is just truly brilliant , you are telling me to grow up and learn tolerance , fantastic ! for a start i was not replting to you i was posting to anne but as i have noticed several times you think that your opinion is the be all and end all ! I DID NOT ANSWER YOUR QUESTION CAUSE I DO NOT KNOW , I AM NOT A SCRIPT WRITER I DO NOT KNOW HOW IT SHOULD HAVE FINISHED ! is that said simply enough for you !
I nevr labaled them traitors , i just said that for ME ( that is the important part ) it goes against what the characters are all about !

So you are basically saying that cause i am a fan it means that my arguement has less weight behind it than yours ! You realy need to start practicing what you are trying to preach !

Anne Hedley -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (6/6/2006 12:34:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Captain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anne Hedley

Prior to the great war at the end of the film when Wolverine discovered the phials of the cure - well we all knew or thought we knew - yup Wolverine is going to get Magneto. What a wonderful ruse when he slide along the ground up to Magneto preparing to kill him, but Magneto was ready for him, how smug he was he had got Wolverine just where he wanted him. But no the fatal blow came from the back - gotcha.....hooray..

No i am sorry to say anne , but this was terrible ! There was no hooray from me at all at this point because it was an act that was totally out of character ! This was against all that prof x had tried to teach them about tolerance and yet it was a case of " hey lets use the weapons of our enemy and throw away everything that we have been taught " .

This is part of my problem with the film , it was far too lazy ! it was a conveniant way to defeat the enemy and no real thought was given to what they were doing ! You can not make 3 films of these characters and then in the last 20 mins throw away all that they have stood for previously ! It is out of character , and failed for me

No Captain  - sorry I disagree with you .   If you remember the mutants were rather out numbered and the powers of  Magneto and Pheonix could have destroyed them.  There were battles in the other X Men films for survival and this was the situation on a larger scale.   What amused me was Magneto would know in his mind that Wolverine would come for him and this he  APPEARED TO DO because he only had one chance to win, and the unexpected  worked a treat.  The facial expressions on Wolverine and Magneto's face was prize.  With our Hero winning -  but did you notice Magneto's hand at the very end  -  is he really finished ???????????????

Wolverine1988 -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (6/6/2006 12:35:22 AM)

quote:

oh brilliant , your argument is just truly brilliant , you are telling me to grow up and learn tolerance , fantastic ! for a start i was not replting to you i was posting to anne but as i have noticed several times you think that your opinion is the be all and end all !

My opinion is not as you put it "the be all and end all". Whilst I strongly disagree with your views on the films, I believe others have the right to express their opinions. But what you are doing is expressing your opinion claiming to it being truly right. Which it isn't. It's a flawed argument that simply says that because you've read all the comics, you're automatically in a better position to judge the films than I am, so therefore the X-men's actions are inappropriate.

quote:

I nevr labaled them traitors , i just said that for ME ( that is the important part ) it goes against what the characters are all about !

Just because you don't use the word traitors, doesn't mean that the way you believe they're being represented in the film isn't similair. You say they've betrayed the very things they stand for. They didn't. The X-men stand for tolerance and keeping the peace. There isn't a rule book saying what should and shouldn't be done. What's important is that the greater good is being served and that's exactly what they did. They stopped their enemy, nothing more, nothing less. All you've done is over-blow it more than neccesary.

quote:

I DID NOT ANSWER YOUR QUESTION CAUSE I DO NOT KNOW , I AM NOT A SCRIPT WRITER I DO NOT KNOW HOW IT SHOULD HAVE FINISHED ! is that said simply enough for you !

Then, if you're not a screenwriter, in what position are you to knock what is written in a film. It's like going to a doctor, tell them they're treating the patient badly. The doctor asks you if you have a better solution and you simply reply that you don't know one because you're not a doctor. True, they made some mistakes but curing Magneto is justifiable and all you've done is blow it out of proportion and your failure to come up with something better simply doesn't cut it. If you can't find a solution, don't go adding to the problem!

quote:

So you are basically saying that cause i am a fan it means that my arguement has less weight behind it than yours ! You realy need to start practicing what you are trying to preach !

I didn't say that being a fan gives your argument less weight to mine but that to a certain extent your opinion may be biased due to the fact that you cling on to the source material as those it is some sacred object. The X-men universe has been presented in so many diverse forms, that it's difficult to find that which is a 100% accurate.

Anne Hedley -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (6/6/2006 12:43:10 AM)

Now this little piece is just up my street..........................

Wolverine outfoxes the competition
By Inside Track
Monday, June 5, 2006 - Updated: 12:03 PM EST

Hugh Jackman’s blade-bearing “X-Men” mutant, Wolverine, outranks blockbuster power players Harry Potter and Spider-Man, according to this week’s Entertainment Weekly.

The tortured superhero tops the magazine’s list of the top 10 franchise characters.

“Wolverine is our pick for Hollywood’s top character based on a devoted, built-in audience and early excitement over his planned solo flick, which would be out as soon as 2008,” writes mag scribe Tim Stack.

Jackman’s alter ego’s latest starring role is in “X-Men: The Last Stand,” which opened last week with a four-day domestic gross of $122.9 million. His part-canine character’s fan base is reportedly strong enough for Wolverine to strike out in a spin-off solo film, according to the article. But no details of the alleged project have been announced.

Following the comic-book inspired combatant, in order, are teen wizard Harry Potter, Spider-Man, lovable cartoon ogre Shrek, “The Da Vinci Code” sleuth Robert Langdon, Matt Damon’s superspy Jason Bourne of “The Bourne Identity,” James Bond, “Saw” villain Jigsaw, “The Simpsons” problem child Bart Simpson and Tyler Perry’s trash-talking grandmother, Madea.

The newest edition of Entertainment Weekly hits newsstands

spideyfan666 -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (6/6/2006 4:00:54 AM)

Good but not great. Set pieces were pretty cool, there was just something missing, lacks the punch that x-men 2 had. Lets hope this is the last one and if there are anymore x-men films that mr singer is back at the helm. 

spideyfan666 -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (6/6/2006 4:10:10 AM)

Ratner has made a decent effort in the latest installment, however singers x 2 is far superior. There are some good set pieces here and a lot of eye candy for the fan boys. Singers X 2 had the right mixture of emotion and action, where as X3 is more of an action film. Whats with killing off all the decent characters too, the movie strays a LONG way from the comic book story line. Lets hope this is the last in the series, unless Mr Singer comes back to helm the next one.

The Captain -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (6/6/2006 10:17:16 AM)

quote:

Then, if you're not a screenwriter, in what position are you to knock what is written in a film. It's like going to a doctor, tell them they're treating the patient badly. The doctor asks you if you have a better solution and you simply reply that you don't know one because you're not a doctor. True, they made some mistakes but curing Magneto is justifiable and all you've done is blow it out of proportion and your failure to come up with something better simply doesn't cut it. If you can't find a solution, don't go adding to the problem!

This is a rather stupid point ! I am a film fan that is posting on a forum that is all about films , and last time that i looked it was a democratic country so therefore my god given right to knock whatever i want ! i do not have to be a film critic , a screenwriter or a media student to knock something that i feel is wrong !
You are basically saying that if someone comes on to this site and wants to critisise something that they are only allowed to do so if they have a better script already thought out ! nonsense ! what if i was to knock the specail affects ? are you telling me that the only way i would be allowed to do so is if i had filmed better affects myself  ?
It is pure arrogance !

Roxanne -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (6/6/2006 11:07:24 AM)

I have to say that I agree with the Captain with regards to the above argument currently raging (you go guys! Woo!). I completely forgot to mention Magneto in my review, but I'm backing up the Captain's view that it was totally out of character for the X-Men to incapacitate him the way they did. As has been said, the X-Men's message has been about tolerance on many levels - tolerance of humans even though their fear and uninformed opinions lead them to act irrationally, unjustly and dangerously towards mutants; tolerance of each other and their powers (you never use your power against andother mutant); tolerance, even, of the mutants like Magneto and his cronies who would seek to damage mutant-human relations, because they too act out of fear.

Completely disregarding the original X-men comics, series and all the like (I'm no fanboy and know nothing of the original X-Men culture) all three films spend considerable time looking at Magneto in a sympathetic light. Yes, he has done evil things and the X-Men do want to stop him. But as The Captain said, they stop him without hurting him, without killing him, without undermining what they teach each other about tolerance and support. Magneto is not evil, and the films try to say this many times - for goodness sake, the first film opens with a scene depicting his terrible treatment in the camp, something which is touched upon again and again (including in the third film). The films try and provide explanation for his irrational behaviour and his bitterness towards humans, which is an excellent thing to do in my opinion. After all, anyone with severe pathology has so for a reason, they're not just born evil. The films also depict the understanding between Magneto and Proffessor Xavier, how they were once allies and great friends. In the third film Magneto displays his humanitarian side when he becomes angry with Pyro for belittling the life of Xavier, defending him to the end despite their life long disagreements and differences of direction. In addition, Magneto and the X-Men have allied themselves to one another when they really had to. Magneto is not a throwaway villain as in many action and comic book films - he is a real character, for whom they have established motives, feelings, opinions, relationships.

To spend this time throughout the trilogy depicting Magneto as someone who should be understood and, in a way, pitied, rather than as a malicious villain who must be stopped once and for all, as well as the message of tolerance towards mutants that the X-Men wish the whole world to take on board and their general disgust at the concept of a 'cure' for mutation, means the way in which the X-Men stopped Magneto is indeed wrong, in my opinion. They fight him when they have to, but this solution was too extreme, out of character and lazy.

There are many other ways they could have stopped him I think. Just as an example, why didn't they get the Iceman to freeze him? I doubt Magneto's powers could do anything about that. And in the past all it took was a good hard blow to knock him out, after which they could apprehend him. If his attention was focused on Wolverine anyway, so that the Beast was able to get close enough to stab him with the needles, why not just knock him out with his super strength instead?

I really don't like the conclusion of Magneto's character in the third film, and suspect the suggestion at the very end may have been in some way to compensate for it.

Roxanne -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (6/6/2006 11:09:41 AM)

-

(sorry, duplicate)

Roxanne -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (6/6/2006 11:10:25 AM)

-

(sorry, another duplicate!)

Vadersville -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (6/6/2006 11:20:19 AM)

Despite all the other reasons about cheapening the integrity of his death scene and etc, there is one reason why Xavier should definitley not come back if they make a fourth, (which I hope they don't- leave it as a trilogy), it wouldn't be Patrick Stewart!

Hobbes79 -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (6/6/2006 11:22:31 AM)

The thing with Magneto however was that he was too dangerous to simply be apprehended. He was the figurehead and the brains behind a dangerous movement. One which advocated war between mutants and humans. One which would have seen many innocent people die, and the conflict escalate continually. They weren't going to kill him, and as we have seen, trying to incarcerate him wouldn't be the best idea either. The way the X-Men did incapacitate him was at the time the best and only choice. And you could see from the reactions of the X-Men that it was not an easy choice to make, and it did hurt to use such a weapon against one of their own. However, for the greater good it had to be done.

I think it was very much in keeping with the spirt of  X-Men, that nothing is ever black and white, and morals and lines and attitudes are always being tested and puched in their pursuit of peace.

Sacrifice for the greater good is a big part of the X-men (or any comic book) universe. In this instance it was about sacrifice for what they would normally stand for.

kumar -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (6/6/2006 1:50:04 PM)

CAPTAIN AND WOLVERINE...AND TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN.

as for fan boy rantings blah blah blah; just because you read or may not read a comic book, and claim to have followed them since childhood, although it may enhance your awarness of the xmen universe, it doesnt make you better at judging a movie.
im not a fan boy, my brother somewhat is, and the only reason probably; why im intrigued into all these superheros is growing p with him.
Now although i like x men, myknowledge is somewhat limited. I dont go to cinema to see that film to see colossus toss wolverine about; nor am i claiming you did; but i went to see a decent, enjoyable film. but this just wasnt what it should have been, even i could have seen that wolvesy, but im not a screenwriter/scriptwriter, and i'd say the same about blade 3.

the film wasnt terrible, it just wasnt up to scratch on what it could and SHOULD have been.

But if you like it, you like it, but thats not to say, if you like it everyone else should. stop being so homo superior (bad pun intended)

Anne Hedley -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (6/6/2006 4:02:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Captain

quote:

This is a rather stupid point ! I am a film fan that is posting on a forum that is all about films , and last time that i looked it was a democratic country so therefore my god given right to knock whatever i want ! i do not have to be a film critic , a screenwriter or a media student to knock something that i feel is wrong !
You are basically saying that if someone comes on to this site and wants to critisise something that they are only allowed to do so if they have a better script already thought out ! nonsense ! what if i was to knock the specail affects ? are you telling me that the only way i would be allowed to do so is if i had filmed better affects myself  ?
It is pure arrogance !

You know I hate to say this but  -  we are all film fans and we have our favourites  - now there I agree with you 100%  - BUT aren't we going a little over the top with the democratic country bit and your god given right to 'knock' [whatever that means] whatever ever film you wish.   Now this is where you have now changed because as soon as any of use review a film, an actor, or a book or comic in our own way we have becomes 'critics'.   Now having forged  gaily into this role a good critic [or if you prefer to be call a good 'knocker'] would put their points whether in favour or against should be constructive and not destructive otherwise what is the point of just 'knocking' something without saying why, or jut for the hell of it?  At the end of the day  critic is one man or woman with with a point or view about something they like or dislike and they are hopefully just not 'knocking' something for 'knocking's sake/

I think you have misunderstood the message that was coming to you and I feel that you have bought yourself a size 10 shoe in arrogance  -  sorry mate.

Wolverine1988 -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (6/6/2006 4:17:52 PM)

The Captain, the point is that all you've done is stir up anti-sentiment about this film. Of course, people have the right to mention the flaws found in a film but to go on and on about it, is just totally uneccesary.

Roxanne, I understand what you mean to say about Magneto. I do believe that to a certain extent, the things he believes in make sense but it's the manner in which he acts that are questionable and contradictory to what the X-men are about. He's not a downright villain but he is (within the context of what takes place in the film) a major threat to what the X-men fight for.

The X-men believe in living within a world of tolerance, not just to mutants but humans also. I feel, that the decision to cure him was perfectly just. True, your suggestion of Beast knocking him out would have certainly be possible, but still it comes off as a little anti-climactic to defeat him in such a way. And what would happen if Iceman froze him? Would he die of hypothermia or stay there as a block of ice and be destroyed by the Phoenix?

The fact of the matter is that in the situation they were under, there's no time for them to think about what is morally right and wrong but what has to be done in the name of the greater good and that's exactly what they did. Magneto has lost faith in the X-men's beliefs of being able to co-exist with humanity and is too great a threat to be allowed to continue. Curing him, stopped him from being a threat and managed to keep him un-harmed. I also believe that if they do go ahead with further sequels, it would be a great opportunity to show a more positive side to Magneto. His biggest problem is that whilst he wants tolerance for mutants, he refuses to tolerate humanity. Now, he can begin to understand what it is to be human and when he fully regains his powers (which the ending undeniably leads on to), he'll be able to act in a more positive nature and seeing as Xavier's absent, may lead the X-men against greater and more formidable threats.

blair witch -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (6/6/2006 9:19:10 PM)

Finally found time to get this posted - here goes:
X-MEN; The Last Stand: {MAY contain unavoidable minor spoilers}
           The mutants are back but there are still problems with them fitting in with the “normal” society of man. We see how they are also coping with the loss of Dr. Jean Grey (Famke Janssen). Scoot/Cyclops (James Marsden) copes by running away. Logan/Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) deals with the “what ifs” of a possible relationship and Ororo/Storm (Halle Berry) and Professor Charles Xavier (Patrick Stewart) while dealing with the everyday running of the school.
           At the same time, we see the president discussing the mutant problem with many of his inner circle. He learns that Worthington Labs, headed by Warren Worthington II (Michael Murphy) has created what he feels is the “cure” for the mutant DISEASE {as he puts it}. His primary reason for his lab’s research is to aid in “curing” his son, Warren III (Ben Foster) who has well, wings, wings that have a 16 foot wingspan. But when daddy tries to force the cure on the younger Warren even over his protests, the younger breaks out, crashes through a window and flies away.
           And then there is the matter of Magneto (Sir Ian McKellan) who is in hiding. His confidant, Mystique (Rebecca Romjin) is in police custody and it seems despite all her attempts, she can break free. Upon learning of the cure, Magneto comes out of hiding with his own plan and his own army. Magneto and company first approach a group of mutants to join him in the effort to thwart the cure as they feel there is no cure needed for their special abilities. It is not a disease, they feel and therefore, no “cure” is needed. Together with their new members, Multiple Man and Juggernaut, the group locates and rescues Mystique along with two new evil mutants. What happens during this rescue is something that I will not mention as to not spoil it for you.
           Meanwhile, back at the school, we see Scott as he leaves and ends up at Alkali Lake where we last saw Jean and the rest at the end of the last X-men installment. It is here that we see Scott as he releases some frustrations and watches a strange occurrence on the lake which results in him seeing Jean as she seems to have been reborn. As they embrace a very strange thing happens that causes Charles to feel it all the way back at the school. What is it?? Not saying. All I can say is this is where we first see the effects of Dark Phoenix.
           Charles and the other teachers have gathered to discuss the possible mutant “cure’ with the head of the government’s Department of Mutant Affairs, Dr. Hank McCoy/aka Beast (Kelsey Grammer) and eventually it is decided that they must confront magneto, Dark Phoenix and the other mutants who are hell-bent on getting what they are after to put a stop to the mutant cure. To do this, Magneto and others must invade Worthington Labs and retrieve the source of the cure. The source turns out to be a young boy by the name of Leech (Cameron Bright) who seems to emit something that well, cures mutants. It is here that the final battle will take place. And what a battle it is. We see mutants fighting humans and then we see mutants fighting with the humans against other mutants. Who will live, who will die and who, if anyone gets cured? To find out the answers, you need to see this film.
           Is X3 the best of the 3 X-men films? Hard to say as whatever my answer, someone will probably disagree. This is up to the individual viewer to say which is the best or which one is their favorite. Drawing your own conclusions to many things in this film is also up to the individual viewer. What I can say is that the special effects are phenomenal and brilliant. The bit on the Golden Gate Bridge is fantastic. The subtle changes in appearances of previous characters are also a pleasure. I love the shorter hair style of Storm as well as the redness of Phoenix’s hair. But we need to get Wolverine some new cigars as they all seem to get ruined during a battle.
           All in all, The Last Stand is a great film and should be experienced for the first time on the big screen for that full effect. And one work of advice, well two pieces of advice. You MUST (a) sit through ALL the credits for a surprise bit at the end which IMO, hints at a possible X4 film and (b) do NOT let anyone tell you about it unless you have no intention of seeing this a second time in the theatre.
Running time is one hour and 32 minutes seen at midnight, Thursday, June 1st, 2006
Scale of 1 – 5    give this a 4 (B)
BW

Anne Hedley -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (6/6/2006 11:11:53 PM)

Interesting Box Office Charts at  06.06.06

Final UK / US Box Office for June 6th
Posted By: Michael / Source
Related News : Movie Reviews ,

We now have the final box office results for the US and UK. And yes as Shawn said it would seem that X-men 3 in the US market did in fact get bumped down by the Break UP but in the in UK it is still king. Anyrate here are the top 10 films for the US and UK. 

UK Box Office

1. X Men 3 (20th Fox)
2. The Da Vinci Code (Sony)
3. Poseidon (Warner)
4. The Wild (BVI)
5. United 93 (UIP)
6. Mission Impossible 3 (UIP)
7. Curious George (UIP)
8. Fanaa (Yah Raj)
9. Prime (Momntum)
10. Ice Age 2 (20th Fox)

US Box Office

1. The Break Up (Univ)
2. X Men 3 (Fox)
3. Over the Hedge (Par)
4. The Da Vinci Code (Sony)
5. Mission Impossible 3 (Par)
6. Posidon (WB)
7. RV (Sony)
8. See No Evil (Lionsgate)
9. An Inconvnient Truth (Par. Cl)
10. Just My Luck (Fox)
But it  is interesting to  note that The Last Stand took more on its first outing than Break Up so I am hoping that  X Men will catch up again before the end of the month.

It is also porported that internationally Da Vinci is leading the way............ouch  LOL

zombiemaster -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (7/6/2006 11:44:31 AM)

I thought this filmed sucked. Cyclops wasnt in the film for more than five minutes. Also why is it wolverine the one to save the day also the ending was rubbish also the guy with wings why is he even in the movie this film is rubbish and if they do make a X-men four god help us all if it is as good as the third one.

GinaJ -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (7/6/2006 5:35:06 PM)

Went to see the film today been looking forward to it for ages and despite seeing a few bad reviews had high hopes...
Probably why I felt so gutted when I actually saw the film.
It was a mess of a film, everything felt clumsy and rushed.
Music was so unimaginative.
Halle Berry was godawful Vinnie Jones argh!
Kitty just seemed far too young for Bobby and him leching over her was a bit creepy.
None of the storylines got the kind of attention they deserved it just felt like the director was a hyperactive kid
running around starting storylines and bringing in new characters then losing interest then they were sloppily
resolved at the end.
And the message that you should accept who you are and be proud of it... unless it interferes with your
boyfriend's sex life.  It felt a little like they just got Rogue out of the way because without an active power she would have
been a bit useless at the final battle then brought her back after it was all over.
Even Jean who got alot of screen time seemed to have very little to do but stand around and look scary most
of the time.
Waste of a film.
It's like Highlander 2 I'm just going to enjoy the other films and pretend this one never happened!

Gazdance -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (7/6/2006 6:54:08 PM)

Just because a film is based on something does not mean that it has to follow that cartoon/comic/novel to the letter, the screenwriters and director are allowed some artistic licence.  Now, stop being such a bunch of fucking geeks and arguing on the internet.

Roxanne -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (7/6/2006 9:17:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gazdance

Just because a film is based on something does not mean that it has to follow that cartoon/comic/novel to the letter, the screenwriters and director are allowed some artistic licence.  Now, stop being such a bunch of fucking geeks and arguing on the internet.

My goodness, I apologise on behalf of us all for actually having the ability to form opinions and then to have the balls to hold our own in the face of disagreement. Now that is a terrible aspect to the human brain. If only we were mindless zombies with the same views and a lack of any original thought.

Please stop sticking your oar in, especially considering that much of the previous argument(s) had nothing to do with the relationship between comic book and film. It is quite possible that people on a film site might be interested in discussing film form. Not everybody is a fanboy you know.

One other thing – this is a fucking forum for goodness’ sake – A DISCUSSION BOARD. If you’re perplexed at the presence of argument, you’ve obviously come to the wrong place.

Great, you made me swear. That’s my mid-summer resolution down the pan.

Gazdance -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (7/6/2006 9:52:02 PM)

Sorry Roxanne, but I don't think the above arguement has very much to do with 'film form' as you put it.

The arguement that for the X Men to disable Magneto of his powers is out of character just doesn't pass muster.  Here's why;

Xavier's overall ideology, as introduced and presented in the three films is for a world where mutants and humans can co-exist peacefully together.
Magneto's on the other hand is that mutants are a superior step in evolution and if humans can't or won't accept them, then they will be eradicated.

By the climax of The Last Stand, Magneto's actions were directly opposed and a threat to the ideas set forth by Xavier in the previous films, specifically X2, of a world united.  So for the X Men to eliminate that threat by making Magneto human was perfectly 'within character' as Magneto can't possibly fight against what he now is himself.  It makes for a more emotionally satisfying conclusion to the trilogy and serves Magneto right after his desertion of Mystique.

Also it was Beast who actually stabbed Magneto with the cure needles. Given that he was opposed to the cure being used as a weapon, which led to him resigning his government post and joining with the X Men for the final battle(suggesting that he was more in tune with Xavier's ideology of a harmonious co-existence), it would seem a pretty major double standard for him to use it as a weapon against Magneto unless there was just cause.

To argue that it's out of character because it goes against Xavier's teachings from overall X Men mythology (be that comic book, cartoon or whatever) is irrelevant if those ideas were not introduced specifically into the films.

Which brings me back to my earlier point that a film that is only based on source material and is not a direct adaptation thereof must be granted a certain amount of artistic licence.

I'm not expecting everyone (X Men fans and casual film goers alike) to like the ending but to argue over it in such a way isn't really much of an intelligent discussion in my book. 

Anne Hedley -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (8/6/2006 12:01:20 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Satori

quote:

ORIGINAL: gavccu

This film is awful.[:@] Completely goes against the grain of the X-men mythos. Halle Berry Stinks. Wolverine Uncool. Vinnie Jones. Killing off of major characters to make more time for crap magneto henchmen. Poor continuity. Terrible Wirework. Dialogue even i could write better. Halle Berry stinks again

Beast is great though rock on

Oh dear I so sorry you think that way about it.   Please go and see it again and try not to fit the film into pre conceived slots and I think yu will enjoy it,,,

Anne Hedley -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (8/6/2006 12:09:22 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: zombiemaster

I thought this filmed sucked. Cyclops wasnt in the film for more than five minutes. Also why is it wolverine the one to save the day also the ending was rubbish also the guy with wings why is he even in the movie this film is rubbish and if they do make a X-men four god help us all if it is as good as the third one.

I thought this film was well planned and continued where X2 left off.  I admit I was sorry Cyclops was not around for longer  - but we did not actually see him die did we ?

It is obvious for two reasons why Wolverine saves the day he is an anti hero with a human instinct to help and save [as you will have noticed in the two previous films].
The second reason, we the fans have taken Wolverine to our hearts and made him the major character in the film.  This was not planned this was the interpriation of the actor - and Wolverine at present is top in the polls for Action/Comic book Heroes. I thought the final battle was excellent and I will be trying to see it again. I rest my case

By the way how do you 'suck' a film............................?

Anne Hedley -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (8/6/2006 12:13:51 AM)

I kinda like this it does refer to a previous comment I made  :

Wolverine Is Ruling Fictional Power Player

POSTED: 10:52 pm EDT June 4, 2006UPDATED: 10:52 pm EDT June 4, 2006

NEW YORK -- Wolverine, the blade-bearing "X-Men" superhero played by Hugh Jackman, ranks as the top fictional power player, according to Entertainment Weekly.

[image]http://images.ibsys.com/2006/0603/9316625.jpg[/image]
AP Photo/Jeff Christensen, FILEAustralian actor Hugh Jackman speaks during an interview for his new film "X-Men: The Last Stand," at the 59th International film festival in Cannes, southern France, in this Sunday, May 21, 2006 file photo. Wolverine, the blade-bearing "X-Men" superhero played by Jackman, ranks as the top fictional power player, according to Entertainment Weekly. The magazine lists the top 10 franchise characters in its new issue, on newsstands Monday. Wolverine beat out Harry Potter, Spider-Man and Bart Simpson, among others. The magazine lists the top 10 franchise characters in its new issue, on newsstands Monday. Wolverine beat out Harry Potter, Spider-Man and Bart Simpson, among others.
"Wolverine is our pick for Hollywood's top character based on a devoted, built-in audience and early excitement over his planned solo flick, which could be out as soon as 2008," writes Tim Stack.
The mutant with mutton chops stars in "X-Men: The Last Stand," which opened last week with a four-day domestic gross of $122.9 million. Wolverine is expected to get his own spin-off film, but no details have been announced.
Following Wolverine, in order, are Harry Potter, Spider-Man, Shrek, Robert Langdon (the main character of "The Da Vinci Code"), Jason Bourne ("The Bourne Identity" and "The Bourne Supremacy"), James Bond, Jigsaw (the villain of the "Saw" horror films), Bart Simpson and Madea (Tyler Perry's trash-talking grandmother).

Bulletproof_Monk -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (8/6/2006 10:36:16 AM)

Well, I enjoyed it. The best action of the series yet, admittedly both characterisation and acting have gone down the pan (not even Ian McKellen could pull of that immortal villian-repenting line, "What have I done...") but the film as a whole was so much fun I didn't really care.

Giant Green Rabbit -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (8/6/2006 11:06:08 AM)

Lets keep this thread for reviews, discussion and debate around the various aspects of the film itself - rather than a discussion about box-office gross.

Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI