RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

paolo verdi -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (31/5/2006 11:16:16 AM)

WARNING : CONTAINS SPOILERS
I saw this on friday and have been mulling it over ever since. I came out of the cinema having pretty much enjoyed the film as an entertaining ride. I empathised with some of the characters and mourned the loss of others. So far so good. However, as the days have gone on I find myself being more critical.
While not an uber-geek I have read a few of the comics, but think that i can deliver an opinion that looks just at the movie, or rather the tilogy of movies as this is apparantly how Ratner sees them.
Yes, the characterisation left a lot to be desired. Sure, we're into the third part of the story but that doesn't mean you can kill off a major character in the first ten minutes without any repurcussions. In fact, this should bring the opposite.
Exhibit A: Wolvie and Storm find Jean Grey and Cyclops' visor, but don't bother looking for the body, nor do they even bother having Prof X use his nifty cerebro machine to try and locate him. Why not? He was one of the Professor's first recruits and the team's leader (not that he's been given a chance to do much leading in the films). This single event could have raised lots more interesting questions and effected the mansion a lot more than it seems to. For example, the kids don't seem to be at all traumatised, or afraid for their lives now that one of their teachers might be dead.
As Wolverine found the visor he could have kept it secret from the rest as an attempt to lose his rival for Jean. (He's done worse in the comics!)This alone could have made for an interesting sub-plot. I understand the arguments that we don't see Cyclops' death so he could still be alive for X4, but logically that doesn't make sense. (see the cerebro argument)
Exhibit B : Angel/Colossus/Juggernaut. These 3 and others within the film seem to have been put in just to appease the fans. Fair enough, but if you're going to do this at least give them a) something to do/say other than throw Wolverine (Colossus) or save his Dad to show him that it's actually ok to have mutant powers (Angel).
There are bits that work. Magneto, as usual, is a wonderful character. His treatment of Mystique and his reproach to Pyro were stand out moments.
Beast worked well, with the casting spot on, though I would have liked to have seen him use his brains a bit more.
The Rogue/Iceman/Shadowcat triangle thing worked to a point, but then seemed to get dropped in favour of the action scenes.
The Iceman v Pyro fight was disappointing considering the way it had been building. I liked the way it led to him totally icing up for the first time, but the let's stand off and blast each other bit was awful.
The use of the powers by the characters was a lot better than before with a real sense of team work and co-operation starting to emerge, even if it did disappointigly then break down into lets pair off against our opposite number.
Oh what the hell, I'm going to have to go again and see if a second viewing helps.

Marky_Mark -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (1/6/2006 12:11:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Captain

I have been away from the forum for awhile now , but after seeing x-men 3 i had to come on and put my thoughts down .

FUCKING SHIT !

[sm=happy07.gif]Harsh but very, very fair!

I could not have been more disappointed with X3. A couple of very cool little moments cannot not save this from being an absolute stinker.

Let's start with the good bits:
  • Beast - perfect casting, perfect transition from page to screen. Loved Grammar's performance, and also seeing Beast go feral in the final sequence- aaa-yeear!! 
  • Storm - kicking ass for the first time- her 'flying fists' move and electrocuting Calisto was great stuff.
  • The entire sequence with Phoenix/Xavier/Magneto in the Grey household. Jaw-dropping, stunning effects, and added a real sense of anticipation for the rest of the film (shame it wasn't bettered). I liked the way that they explained Phoenix's presence as a manifestation of Jean's subconscious- very cool.
  • The shot of Magneto hovering in the air while the bridge crashes down beneath him - breathtaking.
  • The final scene with Magneto playing chess. Somone said it would have been great to see Mr Sinister approach him and offer his powers back - if I'd seen that I would have added an extra star!
  • After the credits...Moira McTaggart & Charles!! [sm=w00t.gif]

And the bad...(I'm going to try and hold back from having a big old rant):
  • Angel - what the fuck?!?! Utterly pointless; I was afraid that this movie was going to be about adding characters for the sake of having new characters, and Angel was a prime example (of which there were many). What a wasted opportunity- if you're going to add Angel you've got to do the Apocalypse Saga.
  • Was it me or did Wolverine just get his ass kicked through the entire movie? Somehow the character lost his cool. Please someone tell the costume dept for his spin-off to give him a decent hairstyle that doesn't make him look like an Elvis tribute act!!
  • Vinnie Jones as Juggernaut - nuff said really.
  • Kitty Pryde AKA Shadowcat...what was she, 12 years old?! As if she should be going up against Juggernaut and calling him a "dickhead" - her introduction as an X-Man was a poor substitute for what should have been a 2nd outting for Nightcrawler (shame Alan Cumming couldn't hack it)
  • Rogue - I can't help but feel that they got this character wrong from the start. I'm expecting a mauling for this, but Anna Paquin is nowhere near sexy enough to play the character, and she hasn't exactly got better with age...I was gutted when she fell out of the plane in X2 and didn't fly (PERFECT opportunity for her to discover her powers). In the comics, as well as having her ability to take on other mutant's powers, she can fly and is virtually indestructible - a Pheonix vs Rogue face off would have been a much better ending to X3 than a second bout of Wolverine sniffles.

Overall, I got the feeling that X3 was either purposefully dumbed-down, or the writers just didn't consult anyone before submitting the script. This will join Fantastic Four in the bargain basements by this time next year.

1.5 out of 5

IMO nothing can touch Batman Begins as the best superhero film conversion to date.

Wolverine1988 -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (1/6/2006 12:20:28 PM)

quote:

This will join Fantastic Four in the bargain basements by this time next year.

Now that is harsh *and* unfair. Some of your misgivings for the film are a bit uneccesary....Wolverine kicked plenty of ass (apart from getting kicked around by the Juggernaut but let's remember that he fought against THE JUGGERNAUT) and his hairstyle was pretty similair to the first two films.

Kitty Pryde rocked and having her race against Juggernaut was a great concept (smallest member of the X-men vs. the biggest member of the Brotherhood) but it could have been a little better executed.

Zaphod121 -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (1/6/2006 12:43:43 PM)

the main problem I had with the film was that it was as if they knew they had to many characters so they just got rid of a few near the begging,
and Cyclops was so underused in this trilogy, especialy in X2 & 3

Filmfan 2 -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (1/6/2006 1:07:31 PM)

On the whole, I enjoyed X3 very much, it was exactly what a summer movie should be, but, I think, therein lies the problem.

Bryan Singer elevated the first 2 films in the trilogy to something way above average, X-Men being the film that was largely responsible for the renaissance in comic book films, giving them a dark heart and characterisation, something that had been lacking in many of the genres increasingly camp predecessors.

In doing so, however, the X-Men films have a standard to maintain, and I fear that Brett Ratner has dropped the ball somewhat.

One of the richest ingredients of this trilogy was that the characters had great storylines (well, aside from Storm) and you cared for them as the films went on. However, Ratner and cohorts seems to have concentrated less on this time round, instead opting for plotting and effects sequences.

Effects sequences are not intrinsically bad, I love them as much as the next person, but they can't be a films main focus. Much of the characters driving force in this movie is about the moral problem posed by a "cure" for mutation, but this was not expanded upon nearly as much as it should've been - Magneto's character seemed to be the only one that really delt with the subject with any kind of gravity (and I know Rogue's storyline is heavily involved with it, but she's practically not in the film).

Beast and Angel were tragically wasted characters, with the latter especially so - he seemed to be important if you believed the promotional hype, but turned out to be nothing more than a convenient plot device. With the former, there was the opportunity for some really meaty ethical issues to arise in the film, and I feel this is something that Singer would've weaved beautifully into the film; it was an opportunity missed, IMO.

However, I have enjoyed the watching the film, and the action sequences were very good, especially as the film started to pick up some momentum (speaking of which, Vinnie Jones - wrong, wrong, wrong!), and as Paulyboy said in his review, it's the first film in a while that I've felt genuinely sorry to see characters meeting their end.

So, like I said, I enjoyed it, but it falls short of what it could have been - I would've loved to have seen what Singer could've done with it.

7/10.

Marky_Mark -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (1/6/2006 1:08:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wolverine1988

quote:

This will join Fantastic Four in the bargain basements by this time next year.

Now that is harsh *and* unfair. Some of your misgivings for the film are a bit uneccesary....Wolverine kicked plenty of ass (apart from getting kicked around by the Juggernaut but let's remember that he fought against THE JUGGERNAUT) and his hairstyle was pretty similair to the first two films.

Kitty Pryde rocked and having her race against Juggernaut was a great concept (smallest member of the X-men vs. the biggest member of the Brotherhood) but it could have been a little better executed.

Maybe...the scene with Wolverine in the forest was OK (although what was he really doing there in the first place, did he honestly think he could bring Jean back on his own??)....compare that to Wolvie vs Sabertooth in X1, and the mansion invasion in X2....just nowhere near as cool, right? Everytime I saw Collosus "toss" Wolverine (insert masturbation gag here) I couldn't help but think of Gimli in LOTR.

Still, I'm sure the Wolvie spin-off will nail the story and have some decent character development.

The Kitty-Juggernaut race just reminded me of the intro to Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway! I think my point with Kitty was a general point about how they decided to approach several characters. I know she's supposed to be one of the youngest x-men, but it seemed a bit bizarre that they would send her to 'war' with the likes of Storm, Beast etc. Seemed a little wierd. Also interesting that never explored her romantic links with Collosus or her Jewish faith (this seems relevant in Singer's world given Magneto's past).

anakin solo -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (1/6/2006 2:04:31 PM)

[sm=fighting03.gif] I was really disappointed with this film it just didn't really go anywhere it was missing bryan singer's touch. It was once again concentrating on wolverine even though he had good moments. I was glad the younger xmen  got more screen time and was really glad that they made iceman full ice, and was annoyed that phoenix wasn't a alien being from the m'kron crystal but was a seperate persona in jean's mind.

doubleshiny -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (1/6/2006 3:14:51 PM)

I like it. Angel was criminally underused, they shouldn't have brought him in if they were just going to let him fly around doing nothing. That said, the scene in th bathroom at the start was ace. I agree with some of the criticisms of Wolverine, until the end he did keep pansying out. Kitty Pryde- never liked her. I was always a Rogue fan, but a mate who hadn't seen either of the first two films watched it with me and had no clue why she couldn't touch Bobby, so that entire backstory was lost on him. I did think there was a lot of information missing. If you hadn't seen the other two films or read the comics you wouldn't have a clue who half the characters were, or what their names were. Did they even mention Calisto's name?

There were some great sequences, especially  Xavier's death in Jean Grey's house, Magneto moving the Golden Gate bridge and stopping the truck which held Mystique and Juggernaut.

3/5

Mabs -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (1/6/2006 10:18:49 PM)

I saw X-men the last stand, a few days ago and...enjoyed it quite immensely. the feeling i got throughout the whole film was of a much darker x-men film then usual...my only complaints are as follows:

1) The humour, sure there were a few moments but it just shows you what a big contribution Singer made to the franchise by adding wit, humour but most of all..Heart.

2) To me, the score of the film is very important, the first X-men was beautiful...reaching its pinacle at the scene where wolverine saves Rogue by giving her his power of Healing and losing consciousness in the process...that scene gets me all the time...no doubt made more powerful by the beautiful SCORE...also X-men 2, especially Pyro's theme which i think is just excellent...poignant....etc.

But to really appreciate a film you can never really sum a pictur up by vieweing it only once. i mean when i first saw X-men 2, i thought it was O.K...but not superior to the first. only after purchasing it on DVD and watching it a few times have i found out that i love the sequel more...sort of like the Empire Strikes Back syndrome! so basically, i think watching X3 again will improve one's appreciation of it. so many things make this a worthy sequel, the essurection of jean Grey as Storm and reall y making me crap myself when her other personality took over, and one nasty shck in oparticular which left me gobsmacked!!! also the effects have been much improved upon since X2.....and oh yeh, vinny jones is just wrong .but all in all...thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone.......

my rating for X3 is deffinetly 4 Stars (and oh yeh, Empire..whats with the 3 stars?)

Adios

Mabs -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (1/6/2006 10:22:46 PM)

Sorry people!!!! refering to my review of X3, that should be resurection of jean grey as PHOENIX not STORM....

Ryan_D_Bell -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (1/6/2006 10:27:43 PM)

X3 the movie, is like the equivelant of your little sister previously going out with a boyfriend you secretly quite liked in the past, but now she's being bummed by Simon Cowell and you are trying to justify it with 'it's a good end to the trilogy speech'.

swan -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (1/6/2006 10:28:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Captain

Rogue - I can't help but feel that they got this character wrong from the start. I'm expecting a mauling for this, but Anna Paquin is nowhere near sexy enough to play the character, and she hasn't exactly got better with age...I was gutted when she fell out of the plane in X2 and didn't fly (PERFECT opportunity for her to discover her powers). In the comics, as well as having her ability to take on other mutant's powers, she can fly and is virtually indestructible - a Pheonix vs Rogue face off would have been a much better ending to X3 than a second bout of Wolverine sniffles.

i agree with everythin u said about rogues character and anna paquin.
but i still liked the film

HARKY183 -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (2/6/2006 9:54:29 PM)

SPOILER ALERT.   Hello.  I've jusy seen x3 and thought it was ok.  surprised by the number of deaths mind, and to dispose of Mystique in that was is sinful, but overall, it was an enjoyable experience.  IT WAS NEVER GOING TO BE AN OSCAR WINNER WAS IT PEOPLE!!!

Timon -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (3/6/2006 10:39:50 AM)

Ever since Brett Ratner was announced as the new director for X3, I’ve been worried. Bryan Singer managed to perfectly blend the action, the humour and the heart and Ratner..............well, he had done the Rush Hour films.

All through the production, I’ve been bemoaning the many new characters, the melding of two many plot lines and the fact that it will simply become messy, rushed and just not as good as the other two. And I was right.

It’s not a bad film by any means, in fact it’s rather entertaining…I just have gripes. Quite a few gripes.

-         Let’s start of with the digital rendering of Magento and Professor X in the prologue…gah. They both looked very freaky, like wax work models that had come to life. Stewart especially was creeping me out a treat. Besides that though, the prologue was powerful as we learn Jean Grey is indeed powerful.

-         Scott Summers/Cyclops – For a man who is leader of the X-Men, adopted son of Professor X and all round nice guy I was surprised that no-one seemed to care he was dead except for his verbal sparring partner. A nice touching comment from Xavier would be nice but nothing. He was essentially forgotten and his death done of screen denying the film a very powerful moment as he’s killed by the woman he loves and would die for.

-         Angel. Yes he looks pretty, but he served no purpose. Pointless character that should have been jettisoned.

-         Sidelining of characters for new ones. Whereas we had the introduction of a lot of new ‘Brotherhood Mutants’ all of whom look like roadies or bikers, our heroes were more of less forgotten. Rogue did nothing and got herself cured which I was felt was insulting to the character, Iceman just flirted and the likes Colussus did nothing but throw Wolverine every now and then. A waste of some great characters. Beast though was a joy, spot on casting and very well realised…just not too sure about the wire – fu.

-         Juggernaut. No, just no.

-         Plotlines. I knew. You can’t juggle a saga like The Dark Phoenix with a cure storyline AND all these new characters and the Phoenix plot line suffered as a result. Her powers looked amazing but I felt that her whole development was rushed which is a shame.

-         “What have I done?” – this line should NEVER be used in films.

I make it sound like I hated the film, I didn’t it was fun…but I was disappointed. Too many characters sidelined and new ones introduced which felt like Ratner was pandering to the fanboys.  Also, the Cure is rather rubbish if it wears off after a week or so……

Either way, bring on X4 and a Wolverine spinoff, let’s just hope it’s not as much of a mess.

3/5

kumar -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (3/6/2006 11:52:31 AM)

ive slept on it.

Good Points
Fight at jean greys house with all the mutants; very good.
Wolverines chase through the woods
Magneto knocking Wolves about through the trees
Beast and Wolverine getting feral at the end on everyones asses.
Storm vs Callisto at the end
Jean Grey totalling evrything and everyone.

Bad Points
20 Century Fox; film should have been a lot longer.
really boring prologue; and Xavier Magneto and the girl really did look wooden.
Cyclops....sorry, who?
Juggernaught, could have been exected so many times better.
Pyro vs Iceman, more please.
Collosus anyone? he didnt do anything in the film, all i remember him doing is him in the danger room getting hit, carrying a tv, and looking pretty at the end.
Collosus vs Juggernaught...could have been special.
Jean gets killed...they should have donw two movies on Phoenix rather than one; she did two things in that film.
No "flaming" phoenix
The "cure" whats the bloody point of it when its a farce? that for me made the whole film a farce.

as for rogue not doing anything, thats fine as much as i care, she doesnt really have a super power as such, she has to touch people to use it, and who would want to get close to people like juggernaught? as for her not flying, maybe she will in other films IF they decide to do one except i fear if they do, she will take the limelight off the other charcters.
The gripe about storm becoming a central character, well, since xavier, cyclops and jean are not on the team anymore, of course shes going to have a bigger role, stop being fussy! and she looked really pretty too![sm=433.gif]

i cant imagine enough how much better singer would have made it. shame really.

anakin solo -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (3/6/2006 2:26:55 PM)

[sm=fighting03.gif] I when i left the screen when the credits were rolling down i knew in the back of my mind that i was supposed to stay but i left and now i have a reason to watch X3 again.

Edward Nygma -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (3/6/2006 3:20:34 PM)

And so comes the last chapter of the X-Men trilogy. As with every sequel these days, this one promises to be bigger and better than its predecessors. Which is a tough thing to achieve since X-Men 1 and 2 were both excellent action-packed, confident sci-fi thrillers.

This installment sees Jean Grey, whom everyone believed was dead, return as her alter-ego Phoenix, the evil part of her who is driven insane by an unlimited power. Not only that but a "cure” has been found for mutancy and this prompts Magneto to form his army of "bad” mutants in order to show the humans who's boss.

The film starts off promisingly with a subtly brilliant and dark introduction of a young Jean Grey and a young Angel who discovers his wings for the first time. Then we have a fantastic scene set in the near future in which the team fight Sentinels, we soon realise they're in fact in the danger room. So far, so perfect: a 5 stars film. But then, everything just seems to go wrong, little by little. The unforgivable death of Cyclops after 10 minutes of film is…unforgivable, not to mention, terribly executed. As if that wasn't traumatic enough for a faithful X-fan such as myself, the Phoenix meets with a particularly cranky Professor Xavier only to reduce him to DUST!!!! soon after! I'm sorry to interrupt this review like that but: What-the-fuck-was-that??? My mouth, at this point, was literally touching the floor, and I could feel the confusion spreading in the seats behind me. I don't know what Brett Ratner read to come up with this pile of stinky garbage but it sure wasn't an X-Men comic-book. After that shameful, shameful scene, the story just goes downhill as the spectacular moments increase and the credibility plummets. Which is why it's so hard to truly hate this film.

On the one hand there are the many many flaws and on the other there are many impressive "wow” moments and some very decent action sequences.[:)] However, I do feel that these do not outweigh the problems of X-3. The "mutancy cure” story turns out to be a fatal mistake to the already messy plot. With the X-Men crying and whining and crying and whining about their position in such a cruel society, the "almighty” Phoenix is sidelined and does literally nothing except stand there and look crazy. Occasionally she would turn someone to dust, like, say, PROFESSOR X!!! She only wakes up at the end, why? Dunno. She basically rises up for about 10 seconds, reduces quite a few people to ashes, only to get killed quickly by Wolverine. How exciting…So much for the big "Last Stand” I was so excited about when watching the trailers!

Very soon the plot starts to look like a Swiss cheese: full of holes. [:(]What happened to Cyclops exactly? Who was that kid who could cure mutants? Why the fuck does Rogue get a cure instead of fighting along with her team?! Why didn't that young walking-through-walls girl get a backstory of some sort? What was the point of making Mystique become human? Why is Angel so pointless? Whatever happened to Nightcrawler? I guess we'll never know. What we do know however is that Iceman likes ice-skating with young girls at night, that Vinnie Jones was painfully miscast as a ridiculously sidelined Juggernaut, that Magneto can control The Phoenix by the power of…being nice and wimpy with her, that Cyclops, Angel and Rogue are the most useless characters ever, and that Brett Ratner had no idea what he was doing when he directed this film. Expect unintentionally funny moments agogo, such as the sight of Jean Grey and Cyclops tiny graves next to Professor X's big statue, or Iceman's boring and inappropriate ice-skating lesson, or even the puke-worthy cheesy ending. [:'(]

Still, Kelsey Grammer was good enough as Beast, I guess that was a good thing. Needless to say I am outraged and just plain deeply disappointed that the final part of a potentially brilliant trilogy ended up so messily. I would like to thank Bryan Singer for leaving the making of this film half-way through, James Marsden for not suing Brett Ratner for killing him off and everyone involved in this film for ruining my dream of a 5 star X-Men film. Thanks a lot. Overall, X-Men 3 is entertaining, impressive, spectacular, yadda-yadda ya, but what does it matter when so many unforgivable mistakes have been done? THE disappointment of the year. I must now retire to my room and weep…This is a "Last Stand” X-Men fans will find hard to "stand” if you can forgive the pun. Superman Returns better be good…[&:]

BobaJango -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (3/6/2006 4:15:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: anakin solo

[sm=fighting03.gif] I when i left the screen when the credits were rolling down i knew in the back of my mind that i was supposed to stay but i left and now i have a reason to watch X3 again.

Seeing as the screening i went to for X3 was packed to the brim, i thought if i waited to the end of the credits, i would be able to exit the cinema easier. However, everyone else had clearly also heard about the end clip somehow and so nobody moved. Must have been about 150 people in the room!

Donella -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (4/6/2006 2:50:00 PM)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONOOOOOOOOOOOONOOOOOOOO!!!!

X-men3 is a alright action film, but i bad comic book film[:@]

I'm sorry peeps but its was crap! ok Beast was great, buts the whole good thing about that film ..and the moving of the SanFan bridge that was very cool, but the killing off of major charcters, ok that wasn't all their fault (poeple wanted to leave and stuff) . But come on, Juggernaut: i'm sorry you only knew him to be english if your going to use the fact that he is prof X's half-brother, also he's not a mutant so why he hits the wall and gets knocked out. WHY!? ShadowCat turns into a gold fish. Rogue: OMG she becomes even more useless then she was in the first place. Scot is killed off and nothing really is done about, Phoenix is just all wrong....

on the tech side only a few small things, but the one that stands out a mile and can be seen by non-film crits is Wolverine's self-healing white shirt..come guys, bad conternewate!

its was crap!
important note for anyone who hasn't seen the film but has read the comics or has some knowology of the X-men world, PLEASE, PLEASE leave that knowology (inner comicbook geek) at the cinema door. it is the only way you will be able to watch  the film

Hapi202 -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (4/6/2006 10:20:50 PM)

Hey, watched it the other day and i thought Empire's rating was about right. Did anyone think that the chess piece moved at the end, when Magneto had his hand over it. Yes i know, he had the injections but i think it did quiver ever so slightly; AND the end scene at the end of the credits with Prof X in the other body!!! That and the previous thing related to Magneto leave room for another squeal [sm=18.gif]! and Ian McKellen saying that there may be a possibility on Friday Night with Jonathon Ross. Me and my mum thought that certain bits were a little sad, when Prof X gets dissintergrated and when Magneto leaves Mystique. And has anyone else thought that Ben Foster is got a lot of publicity for a role which hardly appears; or it that just me?? (not saying that he isn't good in the scenes which he is in!) 

genejoke -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (4/6/2006 10:56:27 PM)

Shame, its not a bad film by any stretch of the imagination, but there is so very nearly a great movie underneath.  the main cast are all very good, except vinnie jones who looks like a gimp.

Anne Hedley -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (5/6/2006 4:07:35 PM)

Hi friends  and fans of The Last Stand  -  I did a review for IMDb yesterday and I have just been notified that it has been accepted    -  which pleases me very much.
So read enjoy - stick and stones will break my bones and Mercedes Cars but words will never hurt me.....................................

X-Men 3 The Last Stand, 4 June 2006
[image]http://i.imdb.com/images/showtimes/80.gif[/image]
Author: DeadlyHedley007 from Kenswoth, Bedfordshire, UK

Having seen and thoroughly enjoyed X and X-Men two I was more than eager to see X-Men 3 The Last Stand which would complete the trilogy. I knew this would have to be a top action movie and it was. It neatly picked up where X-Men 2left off and gave explanations of what had happened in previous years which affected today.

The opening action scene caught my attention immediately and particularly with Wolverine taking centre screen - it was dramatic - fearsome - and the little bit of humour crept in as it does in tight situations as he chomps his cigar he he he.

I knew that there were to be quite a few new characters and I also knew from reports as the film was being developments that some would die. I found it very easy to follow the smooth flowing story line between the new characters and the old. What a change there was in Jean Grey now Dark Pheonix - did she really kill Cyclops - we did not actually see him die we ??? Wolverine as always is the best character to watch - I actually believe when I am watching it he exists,his fears, his love and nightmares. His action scenes were terrific but his heart rending scene loving Jean and having to kill her on moral issues was heart breaking - he cried - I cried. I congratulate Brett Ratner for adding the extra emotions into the film it took it to a higher level - these people were not mutants or misfits without feelings - they did love, they hurt and in cases they killed and ultimately were good or evil.

Prior to the great war at the end of the film when Wolverine discovered the phials of the cure - well we all knew or thought we knew - yup Wolverine is going to get Magneto. What a wonderful ruse when he slide along the ground up to Magneto preparing to kill him, but Magneto was ready for him, how smug he was he had got Wolverine just where he wanted him. But no the fatal blow came from the back - gotcha.....hooray..

From there on Wolverine took charge of the fantastic battle and the war was raged and finally won.

Someone had to take the cure we knew well and it seemed fitting that Rogue would do this. Angel wanted to change his mind but his father was not in agreement so Angel broke free and flew away and it was spectacular - but what a treat when he came back and saved his father's life.

I enjoyed every moment of this film and congratulate Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen and Famke Jansenn for keeping the pace and emotions running high.

I was not keen on Juggernaut but loved the stunt that Kitty Pryde pulled on him when she was in the special Lab - I fell about laughing. Halle Berry is a very beautiful lady and she got more to do in the film which was what she wanted. Her actions scenes were not bad but her voice did not take command of the situation - and particularly with Hugh Jackman and his excellent delivery it showed up more.

BUT will there be X-Men Four - is Professor Xavier dead, is Cyclops dead, and is it just possible that the slight movement of Magneto's hand at the end telling us ' I'm here old friend' I had just come out of hospital with three broken bones in my foot and a broken hip - but this film I was not going to miss - and I much watch it again to see what I must have missed in the excitement

anakin solo -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (5/6/2006 5:03:22 PM)

[sm=fighting03.gif] The on;y good bit with wolverine is, is when you c an see bits of his adamantium skeleton as phoenix rips his skin which abnormally heals really quickly faster than it normally does.

Satori -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (5/6/2006 6:05:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: gavccu

This film is awful.[:@] Completely goes against the grain of the X-men mythos. Halle Berry Stinks. Wolverine Uncool. Vinnie Jones. Killing off of major characters to make more time for crap magneto henchmen. Poor continuity. Terrible Wirework. Dialogue even i could write better. Halle Berry stinks again

Beast is great though rock on

~Angel~ -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (5/6/2006 6:13:53 PM)

For me X3 was a big disappointment! After seeing the trailer and reading all about it i got really excited.... but unfortunately it didnt meet my expectations! The characters were killed off rather quickly.... i got a bit confused as to whether scott was dead or not....

However there were some rather good looking action sequences... i thought the stuff on the bridge was pretty cool! I was really disappointed about the fact that Angel was only in it for about 3 scenes! What the hell happened to him!!!???

I would have liked to have seen more of Pyro and Icemans faceoff! That was probably the highlight of my evening!

Overall verdict: Not as good as its fellow prequels but still watchable... Empire was right to give it 3 stars...

the question is... is there going to be a sequel??? [&:][sm=33.gif] 

Anne Hedley -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (5/6/2006 9:11:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: anakin solo

[sm=fighting03.gif] The on;y good bit with wolverine is, is when you c an see bits of his adamantium skeleton as phoenix rips his skin which abnormally heals really quickly faster than it normally does.

Oh yeh.....[sm=icon_smile_pistols.gif]I guess you did not really watch the film much then huh  ?   Like many people I thought it was terrific, the story was well connected from the previous films  -  I think there is great deal more to Wolverine if you look carefully.   He is actually at the moment top fantasy  character.    What about his stunt s ?   They were extremely powerful and the most dangerous one he did himself.[sm=love01.gif][sm=love25.gif][sm=worship.gif]

The Captain -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (5/6/2006 9:49:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anne Hedley

Prior to the great war at the end of the film when Wolverine discovered the phials of the cure - well we all knew or thought we knew - yup Wolverine is going to get Magneto. What a wonderful ruse when he slide along the ground up to Magneto preparing to kill him, but Magneto was ready for him, how smug he was he had got Wolverine just where he wanted him. But no the fatal blow came from the back - gotcha.....hooray..

No i am sorry to say anne , but this was terrible ! There was no hooray from me at all at this point because it was an act that was totally out of character ! This was against all that prof x had tried to teach them about tolerance and yet it was a case of " hey lets use the weapons of our enemy and throw away everything that we have been taught " .

This is part of my problem with the film , it was far too lazy ! it was a conveniant way to defeat the enemy and no real thought was given to what they were doing ! You can not make 3 films of these characters and then in the last 20 mins throw away all that they have stood for previously ! It is out of character , and failed for me

Wolverine1988 -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (5/6/2006 10:48:31 PM)

quote:

No i am sorry to say anne , but this was terrible ! There was no hooray from me at all at this point because it was an act that was totally out of character ! This was against all that prof x had tried to teach them about tolerance and yet it was a case of " hey lets use the weapons of our enemy and throw away everything that we have been taught " .

I really don't think you get it. It's not a matter of siding with mutants because they're like them and opposing humans because they're different. Your point of view of the X-men's perspective is totally off and very similair to that of Magneto's. The X-men stand for what is right. Magneto may be a mutant but he's the one treathening innocent people. You do remember what he nearly did to Rogue? Do you mean it's perfectly acceptable to sacrifice a young mutant girl's life yet it's not acceptable for him to become the very thing he opposed, which is the only way to render him powerless and cease his misguided attempts to eradicate all of humanity? In the first film he wanted to turn humans into mutants, now he's become human.

Their actions were absolutely justified and I'm sorry but I find it absolutely laughable to claim that curing Magneto was out of character. They made the choice between stopping him once & for all without having to kill him. If you have any better ideas of how they ought to have defeated him, by all means, share them.

The Captain -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (5/6/2006 11:09:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wolverine1988

quote:

I really don't think you get it. It's not a matter of siding with mutants because they're like them and opposing humans because they're different. Your point of view of the X-men's perspective is totally off and very similair to that of Magneto's. The X-men stand for what is right. Magneto may be a mutant but he's the one treathening innocent people. You do remember what he nearly did to Rogue? Do you mean it's perfectly acceptable to sacrifice a young mutant girl's life yet it's not acceptable for him to become the very thing he opposed, which is the only way to render him powerless and cease his misguided attempts to eradicate all of humanity? In the first film he wanted to turn humans into mutants, now he's become human.

Their actions were absolutely justified and I'm sorry but I find it absolutely laughable to claim that curing Magneto was out of character. They made the choice between stopping him once & for all without having to kill him. If you have any better ideas of how they ought to have defeated him, by all means, share them.

To be honest with you i can not be bothered cause if i start i will get the usual " you are making  fan boy rantings  " ! needless to say you think it works , but in terms of what singer set up and what the x men are actually about , I DO GET IT ! For me it fails !
I am not a script writer and so do not have to say how it should have been done ! Magneto has been stopped many times without the x men betraying what they fight for ! My perspective is not tottally off at all and it is not laughable to claim that curing him was out of character . It was !

The Captain -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (5/6/2006 11:14:49 PM)

i am actually interested to know , what is your knowledge of the x - men universe?

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI