X-Men: The Last Stand (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> X-Men: The Last Stand (20/5/2006 11:48:44 AM)

Post your comments on this article

Timmy_Brisby_05 -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (22/5/2006 8:53:05 AM)

I'm looking forard to this!
I am going to see it on friday!

Anne Hedley -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (22/5/2006 4:34:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Furious

Well folks, I saw it again today (with a different group of peeps) and after our little 'discussion' a few things came to mind:

1) Vinnie Jones - it's not jumping on the band-wagon to say why's he in it at all?  It's nasty.  Twice I've seen it, and twice the audience giggle like school girls when he speaks.
2) Ratner didn't fuck it up so sleep easy.  Sure Bryan Singer would've prolly done a better effort, with him familiar with characters and all, but you shouldn't be disappointed.
3) I think Empire's review is pretty spot on, but that doesn't mean it should be 3 stars.  I stick with my 4 stars.
4) The new guy Kelsey Grammer's great.

Along with the shameful plug for the PS3, I noticed that Gambit gets a mention (of sorts).  Could be coincidence.  But come on people!  Who really uses the word 'gambit'?  No-one I say!

Saying all this however, I gave Da Vinci Code the benefit of the doubt and gave it 3 stars (after copious screen-checking it though, I'm beginning to wonder why I rated it at all).  So what the hell do I know?

His Mr Furious [I bet you are a pussy cat really !"}

I like your crit it is more positive than some I have read.    From what I have seen I see and hope this will be a 4 star film  -  the talent is there in the major stars there is no doubt about that  -  you have allied my fears about Mr Rattner and I agree with you  Vinnie Jones is a pain in the football.......................

I shall  get to the silver screen as soon as I can [broken leg and hip is a little constricting] but I am aiming to see Hugh Jackman if it kills me, which I hope it does not but it is something to set my sights on and hope I make it.

And I will remember the CREDITS...............

Thanks again

Supernova -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (26/5/2006 12:30:58 AM)

quote:

In conclusion, you will never see a franchise so fucked up by a single man that has no dignity.  X-Men: The Last Stand, is the worst film out this year.  Sure it's watchable, it's even slightly entertaining, but in 5 years time, people will regard this as one of the poorest sequels of the 21st Century, if not ever, if not one of the worst comic book movies ever, if not one of the worst action films ever.  I came out of the cinema literally crying of sadness.

Yep, that sums the movie up pretty well IMO. I dunno what some of you are smokin who liked this movie but you seriously are wrong. I saw this 2 weeks ago and after thinking about it more and more i realised just how fucking bad X3 was. Did i see someone gave it 9 out of 10? WTF?!?!?!

I wrote a review and posted a few weeks back it but most chose to ignore it as they'd already bought into the hype and convinced themselves that X3 was gonna be great

Real shame it had to end this way

Anne Hedley -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (26/5/2006 12:48:45 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Supernova

quote:

In conclusion, you will never see a franchise so fucked up by a single man that has no dignity.  X-Men: The Last Stand, is the worst film out this year.  Sure it's watchable, it's even slightly entertaining, but in 5 years time, people will regard this as one of the poorest sequels of the 21st Century, if not ever, if not one of the worst comic book movies ever, if not one of the worst action films ever.  I came out of the cinema literally crying of sadness.

Yep, that sums the movie up pretty well IMO. I dunno what some of you are smokin who liked this movie but you seriously are wrong. I saw this 2 weeks ago and after thinking about it more and more i realised just how fucking bad X3 was. Did i see someone gave it 9 out of 10? WTF?!?!?!

I wrote a review and posted a few weeks back it but most chose to ignore it as they'd already bought into the hype and convinced themselves that X3 was gonna be great

Real shame it had to end this way

Well that is your opinion of course so please don't shove it down our throats we are all entitled to our opinion.

I shall be going to see this film next week and then I will let you know honestly how it feels to me.

I think you were supposed to come out crying because their is raw emotion in this film and a lot things have to be finalised.   Remember there is a very human streek to Wolverine and his complexes and fears of what he has become and why.

He had feelings for Jean Grey  -  why not  -  if this is taken further in this movie to finalise what the end will be what is the problem.

If someone gave this film 9/10 then they enjoyed it and they did not have to be as you put it 'smoking something'.   Perhaps they were just more astute than you were and can understand the various transitions..but I do not know until I have seen it all I am doing is defending the lead actors in this film, which is the main crux of the story.   The acting of these characters is not in dispute so where do you think it actually went wrong.     What was it you did not like  -  what did you expect you did not get.   You damnation of the film is without real reason perhaps you could clarify this for us as you do  appear at the moment to be in the minority..................

Cant be worse thant M:I 3 which is slipping down the charts already.............

Jim Bob -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (26/5/2006 12:27:31 PM)

Can someone explain to me just how Jean Grey has the ability to disintegrate everything in her path with the exception of Wolverine's trousers? Presumably his slacks had alloy adamantium lining?

Pathetic!

paulmitchell -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (27/5/2006 9:46:11 PM)

[8|]i saw the third film and utterly enjoyed it.i think it should of got four stars.vinnie jones looked good and supplied a little humour.i liked the fact that they used his accent.but they could have got a wwe star to play juggernaught.batista anybody?the star of the show i thought was halle berry. she was far better in this than she was in the first film.i would of liked collossus to have squared off with juggernaught.

jules100 -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (27/5/2006 9:58:04 PM)

* Spoilers*

Loved both the first and second films,i went in expecting the worst but hoping for the best and it disappointed me more often than it thrilled.The criticisms of it being poorly scripted and emotionally disconnected are bang on,you see it all happening but generally don't feel for any of it,the film seems more concerned with getting through one scene and quickly onto the next.There were a few really great moments but as a cohesive whole it just doesn't stand up,ironically.

I'm not sure why the script made the choices it made,and the big choices it DID make were poorly handled.Killing off 3 main characters to little (or no!) dramatic effect,is just plain bad film-making.The things i remember from the movie most are a couple of cool effect-driven scenes,the deaths and curing of most of the principal cast simply don't linger the way that they should.Not good!

The things i DID like -

I thought the Angel subplot was nice,if under explored.

Beast and Kitty were well played,the scene between Kitty and Juggernaut though small,was actually the most memorable mutant fight for me

Ian McKellen and Famke Jannsen were great

The showdown at Jeans house was pretty good,though i wasn't keen on the outcome.

Things i definitely didn't like-

They offed Cyclops and dumped Mystique both WAY too early,and didnt really come up with good enough replacement characters.I would have preferred to have seen them both in the final fight,rather than yet another faceless novelty mutant.

Callisto was crap frankly.You have the whole of mutantdom at your disposal to pick a great new memorable villain and you end up picking a girl who can run really fast???
X2 made it work with Lady Deathstrike,they should have done a lot better on this count.

Not enough time given to the numerous storythreads.It didnt service any of them particularly brilliantly.

Is it just me,or did Prof.X come across in this as a bit of a git?

So,nowhere near as layered and as satisfying as X's 1 & 2. What a shame.

Moviewise,this summer's turning out to be complete poo,eh.

The Captain -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (27/5/2006 11:00:11 PM)

I have been away from the forum for awhile now , but after seeing x-men 3 i had to come on and put my thoughts down .

FUCKING SHIT !

Yes , that is right all the people that liked this film you heard me correctly , it is AWFUL .

I am a huge x - men fan , a huge comic book fan and a huge movie fan , and this did nothing to satisfy any of these three points . it failed on every level , and i will try to break it down so you can understand why i feel like this .

1 ) There was no emotional attachment to the characters in the slightest . major characters were killed off and at no point were we allowed to feel pity , loss or sadness , it was a simple case of , this person is dead , oh well never mind , lets just forget about them and move on .

2 ) Was there any point in bringing in so many new characters when they were there for literally no other reason than to appease the fans , well i am a fan and was not appeased due to the appalling way that they were handled . Oh great angel is in it , but wait he does Fuck all in the film ! My fav x - man ( colossus ) is in it , oh but wait he is only there to carry a TV down the hall and due the fastball special with wolverine , COME ON ! it was a waste of decent characters that are better than they were allowed to be .

3 ) The story was terrible , and i do mean terrible . this is essentially two different stories and two different film . The dark phoenix saga is one of the best comic book stories , and i hate to say it but this was in no way the phoenix story . it was just a joke to see Phoenix as a henchman to magneto , wondering around after him the whole film . This is a character that can literally destroy a star system and yet she is handled with no more respect than say juggernaut ! the second story is taken from joss whedons first arc on astonishing x - men , and the cure was handled so much better in that than it ever was on screen . the two just did not gel ! Make a film about the cure , or make a film about Phoenix , but decide on which before you do it !

4 ) Halle Berry ! how the fuck did this woman win an oscar when every time that she delivered a line i just wanted to laugh out loud ! she was terrible ! she was not convincing and was understandable why she was not allowed a bigger part in the first two when all she did was deliver bad line after bad line

5 ) Juggernaut , HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

6 ) Fox studios ! Thank you for fucking this up in the extreme , by not hiring bryan singer  fast enough , before he was offered Superman Returns . For employing talentless wankers to right a below average screenplay . For rushing this through just so it could come out before superman , to try to piss bryan singer off . For hiring Brett Ratner , a yes man who could get the job done for you but has never made an above average film in his life !

7 ) The special affects were just poor in most places and the wire work did not look graceful or stylish .

8 ) the whole bridge sequance , while pretty was utterly pointless . You are telling me that magneto would waste time and energy moving a whole bridge just to take a few mutants over to the island , when he could just ripp up a small portion ot it and fly it over there , hmmm do not think so .

9 ) The legacy of the first two films and the hard work of bryan singer is destroyed in 90 or so short minutes .  Do not forget that x -men brought back the comic book film to the big screen . After superman 3 and 4 and batman forever and batman and robin , studios were very reluctant to touch comic book movies . x - men changed this and paved the way for spider - man batman begins and superman returns . Bryan singer made costumes cool again and allowed people who were not keen on comics to relate to the characters by making us care for them !

Well there you have it there are probably more points that i could put down as to why it was just so awful , but i have rambled for far to long .

It is not better than the first x - men film and is a shit stain on the underpants of x men 2 . It was a big let down for me , a shit film and an undeserving end to the franchise that has a great film ( x - men ) , a perfect and flawless comic book movie ( x - men 2 ) and this pile of shit thrown in on the end !

gavccu -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (27/5/2006 11:36:09 PM)

This film is awful.[:@] Completely goes against the grain of the X-men mythos. Halle Berry Stinks. Wolverine Uncool. Vinnie Jones. Killing off of major characters to make more time for crap magneto henchmen. Poor continuity. Terrible Wirework. Dialogue even i could write better. Halle Berry stinks again

Beast is great though rock on

lbiu -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (28/5/2006 11:52:10 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Captain

I have been away from the forum for awhile now , but after seeing x-men 3 i had to come on and put my thoughts down .

FUCKING SHIT !

Yes , that is right all the people that liked this film you heard me correctly , it is AWFUL .

I am a huge x - men fan , a huge comic book fan and a huge movie fan , and this did nothing to satisfy any of these three points . it failed on every level , and i will try to break it down so you can understand why i feel like this .

1 ) There was no emotional attachment to the characters in the slightest . major characters were killed off and at no point were we allowed to feel pity , loss or sadness , it was a simple case of , this person is dead , oh well never mind , lets just forget about them and move on .

2 ) Was there any point in bringing in so many new characters when they were there for literally no other reason than to appease the fans , well i am a fan and was not appeased due to the appalling way that they were handled . Oh great angel is in it , but wait he does Fuck all in the film ! My fav x - man ( colossus ) is in it , oh but wait he is only there to carry a TV down the hall and due the fastball special with wolverine , COME ON ! it was a waste of decent characters that are better than they were allowed to be .

3 ) The story was terrible , and i do mean terrible . this is essentially two different stories and two different film . The dark phoenix saga is one of the best comic book stories , and i hate to say it but this was in no way the phoenix story . it was just a joke to see Phoenix as a henchman to magneto , wondering around after him the whole film . This is a character that can literally destroy a star system and yet she is handled with no more respect than say juggernaut ! the second story is taken from joss whedons first arc on astonishing x - men , and the cure was handled so much better in that than it ever was on screen . the two just did not gel ! Make a film about the cure , or make a film about Phoenix , but decide on which before you do it !

4 ) Halle Berry ! how the fuck did this woman win an oscar when every time that she delivered a line i just wanted to laugh out loud ! she was terrible ! she was not convincing and was understandable why she was not allowed a bigger part in the first two when all she did was deliver bad line after bad line

5 ) Juggernaut , HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

6 ) Fox studios ! Thank you for fucking this up in the extreme , by not hiring bryan singer  fast enough , before he was offered Superman Returns . For employing talentless wankers to right a below average screenplay . For rushing this through just so it could come out before superman , to try to piss bryan singer off . For hiring Brett Ratner , a yes man who could get the job done for you but has never made an above average film in his life !

7 ) The special affects were just poor in most places and the wire work did not look graceful or stylish .

8 ) the whole bridge sequance , while pretty was utterly pointless . You are telling me that magneto would waste time and energy moving a whole bridge just to take a few mutants over to the island , when he could just ripp up a small portion ot it and fly it over there , hmmm do not think so .

9 ) The legacy of the first two films and the hard work of bryan singer is destroyed in 90 or so short minutes .  Do not forget that x -men brought back the comic book film to the big screen . After superman 3 and 4 and batman forever and batman and robin , studios were very reluctant to touch comic book movies . x - men changed this and paved the way for spider - man batman begins and superman returns . Bryan singer made costumes cool again and allowed people who were not keen on comics to relate to the characters by making us care for them !

Well there you have it there are probably more points that i could put down as to why it was just so awful , but i have rambled for far to long .

It is not better than the first x - men film and is a shit stain on the underpants of x men 2 . It was a big let down for me , a shit film and an undeserving end to the franchise that has a great film ( x - men ) , a perfect and flawless comic book movie ( x - men 2 ) and this pile of shit thrown in on the end !

Totally agree.
Anyone who thought this was a good movie really don't know what a good movie is. Its not about comic book fans, I have neevr read the comics...it is about actually making a GOOD movie. Most of the people saying they liked it are using the excuses "its a popcorn flick." WTF? So if I make a god awful movie, and strap it with tons of action can I use that excuse!?! That's just a stupid word so hollywood can cram down crap on the screens and idiots go flock to see them. WOW it has action, SO?!!? Alien had action, Jurassic Park had action, hell X1 and X2 had action, but they are miles ahead of this because they actually had a consistant plot and decent acting.

Rod Hull -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (28/5/2006 12:28:14 PM)

Heck, I liked it.  Nowhere near as good as the second one or the comics, but still a wonderful popcorn movie.  Admitedly the script was clunky, and the handling of Cyclops was poorly done but I still walked out (after the credits I might add) with a smile on its face.  Any film with such assured performances from the likes of McKellan (the look on Erik's face in the Grey House and the chess scene were superb, as was his comment to Pyro about Xavier) and Grammer's take on Beast was spot on (even if his make up wasn't) and his scene with Leech was quite moving.  Whilst it's a shame the Phoenix story wasn't a patch on that of the comics, it was still very well played by Jansen.  Jones was a bad choice as Juggernaut (alothough his bitch line was superb) and again the handling of Mystique's character (one of the series most interesting) was badly judged.

I'd still rate the film higher than the first one though (largely thanks to the lack of Berry's wobbly accent from that film).  Oh and last stand?  Pah, nonsense.  Me thinks that the game of chess and "Moira!" mean that a sequel is a dead cert.

Mojo -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (28/5/2006 12:38:45 PM)

I didn't understand the scene after the credits. Would somebody care to explain it?

Rod Hull -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (28/5/2006 12:56:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mojo

I didn't understand the scene after the credits. Would somebody care to explain it?

**************SPOLIEROONIES!!!**********************

What it suggested was that Xavier transferred his consciousness to that brain dead individual you saw the lovely Moira talking about earlier in the film (in the classroom on the telly).  That's why it sounded like Xavier when it said "Moira".  Ergo, Xavier is alive and well in a the ex vegetable meaning another film will no doubt be made.  Although I'd like an Erik/Charles origin story about how Charles' legs went wrong.

Do you see?

pablohoolio -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (28/5/2006 1:27:25 PM)

EDIT

pablohoolio -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (28/5/2006 1:28:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Captain

FUCKING SHIT !
My fav x - man ( colossus ) is in it , oh but wait he is only there to carry a TV down the hall and due the fastball special with wolverine , COME ON ! it was a waste of decent characters that are better than they were allowed to be .

And THIS is why I never EVER EVER read fanboy reviews and take them as an accurate view on if the film is any good or not......
sigh....[sm=rolleyes10.gif]
You must have sobbed your eyes out when all he did in X2 was walk into a room and then bang on a wall panel??
[:@]

Also, why are people saying Cyclops didn't do anything and then NOT levelling that critisism at the holier than thou X2? As far as I remember he spent most of THAT film doing pretty much fuck all too but no-one even brings that up? I don't mind people not liking the film, but coming out with things like 'Colossus doesnt do anything, Cyclops doesn't do anything' is sad when they actually do just as much or LESS in the case of Collosus, in X2 anyway!

tristan abbott -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (28/5/2006 1:46:03 PM)

Trouble is fanboys often make good points:-)
its also funny that criticism is often thrown back at the predecessor as though this makes the new film any better. yes cyclops is wasted in the films but he wasn't needed in this film
Fans of the new film seem incapable of being objective about it-maybe eventually they will
It's not really about the comics, its about the movies-characters& plots should be changed if there's a good reason behind it.

pablohoolio -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (28/5/2006 2:27:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: tristan abbott

its also funny that criticism is often thrown back at the predecessor as though this makes the new film any better. yes cyclops is wasted in the films but he wasn't needed in this film
Fans of the new film seem incapable of being objective about it-maybe eventually they will
It's not really about the comics, its about the movies-characters& plots should be changed if there's a good reason behind it.

You missed my point entirely. Im going to see the film tonight, hence im not a fan of the new film as I havn't seen it. What I object to is so called 'reviews' that say how great X2 was but then list things that are terrible about the new one i.e Cyclops is hardly used, as if that had never happened before. He was hardly used in X2 so it can't be a valid complaint about the third one surely? If he had suddenly been binned off after being in the last one all the way through then fair enough, but he wasn't in the last one at all!

The films have always concentrated mostly on Wolverine whichever way you care to look at it, so to say 'X3 hardly uses Cyclops' when X2 hardly used him either isn't really a great basis for critisism.

lbiu -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (28/5/2006 2:45:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pablohoolio

quote:

ORIGINAL: tristan abbott

You missed my point entirely. Im going to see the film tonight, hence im not a fan of the new film as I havn't seen it. What I object to is so called 'reviews' that say how great X2 was but then list things that are terrible about the new one i.e Cyclops is hardly used, as if that had never happened before. He was hardly used in X2 so it can't be a valid complaint about the third one surely? If he had suddenly been binned off after being in the last one all the way through then fair enough, but he wasn't in the last one at all!

The films have always concentrated mostly on Wolverine whichever way you care to look at it, so to say 'X3 hardly uses Cyclops' when X2 hardly used him either isn't really a great basis for critisism.

Cyclops is far more used in X2 than in X3, he dies within 15 minutes and we don't even see it. No one even mentions it until about 45 minutes into the movie. I admit fanboys and girls are not the most reliable sources for reviews, but this reviewer had it dead-on with all the other problems with the film.

katbirdnz -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (28/5/2006 2:52:07 PM)

Went to see it yesterday. I was suspicious after the change of director, but I really enjoyed it. I thought the plot line about the cure was interesting. And Jean Grey was very scary. I was gutted when she killed the Professor. Thought the bit where she starts getting it on with Wolverine was pretty damn sexy actually. And I loved the last shot of Magneto in the park playing chess with himself, and the chess piece wobbled, excellent. The Golden Gate bridge bit was spectacular.

Great fun, four stars.

Kat

__Andy__ -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (28/5/2006 2:54:29 PM)

I saw this last night and I really enjoyed it. I admit its not as good as X Men 2, but I thought it kept true to the feel of the first 2 movies and the character development was kept in place. It had a good pace to it and some great scenes and special effects. I thought the ending was spot on as well. The power of the Pheonix was done really well and the final shot with Magneto in the park left things wide open (e.g Rouge and Mystique).

tristan abbott -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (28/5/2006 3:00:37 PM)

sorry I guess I did miss your point[:)]
I do agree about Cyclops in retrospect-he was unnecessary: especially in X3
I thought that the focus drifted from Wolverine in this film, which is fine in theory, as its ostensibly an X-men film, but to sideline everyone to make way for Storm is IMO a mistake. Its one of my many problems with it. I'm pleased that some people enjoyed it, though their arguements seem to me rather weak.
Hope you enjoy it!

Motski -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (28/5/2006 3:08:06 PM)

SPOILERS

Basically this film is awful. If your not a fan of the X-men then you might find this film enjoyable(ish). Still not a very good film, but if you like the X-men or know anything about them then you'll probably hate it as much as me.

Heres why:

- Cyclops dies within 5 minutes of appearing. This is half an hour into the film. No one seems
to care that he's dead. Strange for one of the most important X-men and their leader.

- The Phoenix has a new made-up back story and fire is never involved in her visuals. She
doesn't destroy any planets and the film decides not to show that she sacrifices herself to
save everyone. Wolverine kills her instead. Jean doesn't seem to care abotu Cyclops
and seems to have eyes only for Wolverine.

-Professor Xavier dies half way through in another throwaway scene. Gets killed by Jean
Grey/Phoenix. The X-men seem a little upset, but not too upset. 10 minutes later it's
been forgotten.

-Vinnie Jones as the Juggernaut is awful. Badly delivered lines and ridiculous prosthetic
muscles. The fact that Juggernaut and Xavier are half brothers is not included.

-Rogue disappears for about an hour of the film and has practically no involvement until
right at the end where we find out she's lost her powers. Mystique is also casually written
out through the loss of her powers, as are many others.

-Colossus is billed as a major character early on, but no character development happens at
all. You see him once briefly between the fight at the beginning and the end. Also the
metal effects were pretty bad, akin to the liquid terminator over 10 years ago. Iceman
has similar problems.

-Angel is also badly represented. He's not the perfect cocky pretty boy, but a skinny whiny
kid. He has no real involvement in the X-men at all, barely meeting any other members.

-Callisto leader of the morlocks is unrecognisable. No longer ugly and eye patched, she is
now beautiful and easily swayed by Magneto. She also has new made up powers. She
bizarely has the combination of super speed (no quicksilver in future films then) and
psychic abilities. She fights Storm, but theres no story built around their confronatation.

-There are loads of made up mutants. Considering there's already too many mutants in
the comics, why do they have to make up more?

-The Sentinels briefly appear in the danger room, but the head that rolls into sight looks
like a poor Doctor Who robot.

-The film is pretty much a Wolevrine/Storm film. They both dominate what should be a
team film. Storm is even started picking up a soutern drawl, so shes definetely not
African anymore. Colossus isn't russian either. The German Nightcrawler does not
appear. This completely rids the film of the feeling that this is an international
phenomenom. Mutants onyl appear in america apparently.

-The President is miscast. He looks and acts like a pathetic old man, not the man in control
of the most powerful nation on earth.

-There's a ridiculous scene where Magento deides the only way to cross a stretch of water
is to rip up the golden gate bridge. It looks stupid and considering he could have flown
them all over makes it seem even more stupid.

Theres loads more wrong with the film, but to be honest I'm getting bored typing this all out. There are a few high points though-

- Kelsey Grammer is awesome as the Beast and the character is handled well.

- Jamie Madrox is good, but under used.

- Nice to see the danger room in some form and the first twenty minutes didnt look like
they were gonna ruin the series.

Thats about it.

Shit

kumar -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (28/5/2006 3:20:30 PM)

seems like marmite to me.. love it or hate it.

The Captain -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (28/5/2006 3:37:17 PM)

If you actually took the time to read All of my post you would see that yes i am a fan of the comics , but at the same time i was not just slating this film because it failed to meet up to my expectations of an X - men film , it failed as a movie !

Yes cyclops was underused in the second one but his reaction to jeans death is touching and sincere and he has a lot more personality in that than x 3 where we saw him for 5 mins and then was forgotten about !

The problem is that when people come on here and relate back to the source material to many people turn around and call them fan boys and dismiss there comments out of hand ! I do not care that they change the story or use things that are not in the comic , but when you lose the core of what these characters are about then you have failed !

As i STATED i love the x - men , i love comic books , but most importantly I LOVE MOVIES  , and can tell a piece of shit when i see it

shadow -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (28/5/2006 3:56:51 PM)

I'll agree with Motski on pretty much everything. It didn't even feel like an X-Men film at all. It's a shame Singer left. But really, the trouble was with the horrible, terrible excuse of a screenplay that paid no respect whatsoever to the characters or the audience. And the worst part? There was really no reason for the viewer to keep watching the film at any point. There really was no plot. Stuff just... happened. I'm only giving it two stars because Wolvie is still cool.

SPOILERS

And why the fuck did Jean just stand there during the attack at Alcatraz? They should've SOMEHOW explained why she just stood there for the whole duration of the battle and did NOTHING. Incredibly lousy writing there and throughout the film. Terrible. Just terrible.

SPOILERS

So, yeah, coming from a fan of the first two parts... The Last Stand is shit. Avoid.

Wolverine1988 -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (28/5/2006 4:11:49 PM)

quote:

Anyone who thought this was a good movie really don't know what a good movie is.

edited

Oh and Cyclops is NOT used more in X-Men 2. In terms of action, yeah he gets a 60-second fight with some guards & then gets his ass politely kicked by Lady Deathstrike. Then after being absent for the duration of the entire middle act, he pops up again. Cyclops was always came off as one of the less interesting characters in the films. And besides, we still didn't see him die in X3 meaning he can still be brought back.

Stop being so biased and hide under the excuse that fanboys are better reviewers. That's just lame. I have a pretty good idea of the X-men history but that history has been altered LITERALLY hundreds of times! In regards to the alteration of the Phoenix saga, it was always going to be altered and the reason for it isn't Brett Ratner or the guys behind the 3rd film's script but Bryan Singer. He wanted to set the X-men universe in the movies as realistic as possible, the Phoenix saga just wouldn't fit in, so yeah, it had to be altered. So please just get over it already and stop trying to bring in the fact that it doesn't follow the comics because you're just bringing down your whole argument and people are inevitably going to brand you as whining fanboys because your opinions are presented as overly-hostle and irrational. There are those who love the X-men and are able to post decent sensible opinions, they can dislike the film but they put up good arguments as opposed to ranting and raving about how godawful they felt the film was.

Look at the glass as half full, not half empty and accept the truth which is that the comics you hold so dear to your heart will never be translated accurately on the big screen.

P.S, shadow didn't you consider the fact that she didn't do anything because

A) What the hell is the point of setting up the notion of a huge battle when all that was going to happen was her showing up and destroy everything.

B) That she was being kept as a last reserve for the battle. I mean, if all else fails, wouldn't you bring in your greatest weapon after?

That was tactical script-writing (Oh and I'm not defending the script writers, the script needed a bit of a polish but I can't fault them on their decision not to have Phoenix come to play at the very end)

And Motski's points about him hating the movie have many faults in them. What's the point of dissing a movie when you're not even dissing things properly!? [>:]

burgessappleton -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (28/5/2006 4:26:25 PM)

Went to see this film last and found it to be a big let down. The first film set up the series perfectly. The second never really progressed from the first, poor story line. And as for Last Stand, well it just never seemed to pick up pace. No major exciting storyline to move things along, it just seemed sooo boring. I ended up looking at my watch several times, which I hate doing while in the cinema but i just wanted it to end. The Phoenix / Jean scenes where interesting and offered something different but it still didn't seen to fit in. And whats with the Wolverine stuff??? Do people really like him that much? Maybe I just find Hugh Jackman playing this role annoying?

Anyway, at the end of the day this is just my opinion. I went to see this film with my partner, mum and dad.  My mum loved the film, dad thought it was ok and my partner also found it tiresome. The film had some nice effects, but nothing you wouldn't expect from a blockbuster. The best thing thought about this film ws seeing the Pirates Of The Carribean trailer before the film   [;)]

Bring on Mr Depp!!! Hehee!

The Todge -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (28/5/2006 4:40:03 PM)

"Dyooo knoh 'oo oi ahm?  Ei'hm the Jaggahnowt, bitch!"

Those words will haunt me forever.

Wolverine1988 -> RE: X-Men: The Last Stand (28/5/2006 4:52:21 PM)

quote:

One last thing. Couldn't Leech have simply have gone up and injected Jean with the cure instead of Wolverine having to kill her?

Funnily enough I thought of something very similair, not Leech injecting Jean with the cure but simply being brought next to her. Though your idea seems better. I think it'd have made for a happier ending but I suppose the notion that Wolverine had to kill the woman he loves to save everyone & herself would be more dramatic. Also, Magneto is cured, therefore defeated, so it'd be a bit anti-climactic if she were to be cured also. It'd come off like the only way to defeat them would be to cure them. I also asked myself why Jean wouldn't let Nightcrawler teleport her. To me it seemed silly to allow herself to die for the others when she could have simultaneously saved them & lived afterwards.

I think there may still be a way to bring Jean back (I'm thinking of Mr. Sinister) along with Cyclops & Xavier.

Oh and two of the scenes which I absolutely loved in the film are:

Beast meeting Leech. I thought it was a very poignant moment for Beast, allowing him to see how his human hand would be like. In that brief moment he was allowed to feel 'normal' and his reaction was quite touching, but ultimately his character has learnt to live with his mutancy and chooses not to take the cure, despite that moment of humanity.

Pyro saying how he'd have loved to kill Xavier and Magneto reprimanding him for it, saying that Charles did more for mutants than any other person. I don't care what anyone says but that was a really sweet scene, which managed to show how much respect the two had for each other and establishes their relationship (which will hopefully be explored further in the Magneto spin-off)

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI