RE: Free dvds in this week's/weekend's papers thread (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Discussion

wrenster -> RE: Free dvds in this week's/weekend's papers thread (2/12/2005 7:32:37 PM)

The Daily Mail this Saturday (3/12) has the cute Ring Of Bright Water. Otter, anyone?

Lebowski -> RE: Free dvds in this week's/weekend's papers thread (2/12/2005 8:21:39 PM)

Are you sure?  They already did that one, only about 5 weeks ago.

Starscream -> RE: Free dvds in this week's/weekend's papers thread (2/12/2005 11:03:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lebowski

Are you sure?  They already did that one, only about 5 weeks ago.

yeah it was just advertised on tv

Starscream -> RE: Free dvds in this week's/weekend's papers thread (9/12/2005 10:46:31 PM)

Daily express has Carry on Christmas in it saturday

i007_Bond_007i -> RE: Free dvds in this week's/weekend's papers thread (12/12/2005 10:21:29 AM)

There's never any classics given out by papers. Nowadays it's just films that people have never heard of.

elab49 -> RE: Free dvds in this week's/weekend's papers thread (12/12/2005 10:44:18 AM)

Well you may not have - but plenty have.

So how are defining 'classic'?

If you mean old and well known, I guess Notorious would qualify?

wrenster -> RE: Free dvds in this week's/weekend's papers thread (12/12/2005 11:21:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: i007_Bond_007i

There's never any classics given out by papers. Nowadays it's just films that people have never heard of.

Films that people have never heard of? I am looking at my pile of free DVDs thinking surely people have heard of these. And some of these are classics, others are modern classics and a few Oscar winners too:

Prizzi's Honor; Strictly Ballroom; Sophie's Choice; The Ipcress File; Brief Encounter; Great Expectations (David Lean's); Cabaret; Educating Rita; The French Lieutenant's Woman; On Golden Pond; A Private Function; The Bounty; Buster; Nuns On The Run; Fever Pitch; The Fabulous Baker Boys; Paris, Texas; Cinema Paradiso; Brassed Off; Silkwood; Rogue Trader; Charade; The Little Shop Of Horrors (Roger Corman's); Fried Green Tomatoes; The Eagle Has Landed; The African Queen; Rebecca; Scrooge; Notorious; The Last Emperor; Whistle Down the Wind; East Is East; The Madness Of King George; The Fourth Protocol; The Wild Geese

And I still have at least another 30 I could have names. You just have to keep your eyes open and not just limit yourself to one or two papers.

i007_Bond_007i -> RE: Free dvds in this week's/weekend's papers thread (16/12/2005 2:01:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wrenster

quote:

ORIGINAL: i007_Bond_007i

Films that people have never heard of? I am looking at my pile of free DVDs thinking surely people have heard of these. And some of these are classics, others are modern classics and a few Oscar winners too:

Prizzi's Honor; Strictly Ballroom; Sophie's Choice; The Ipcress File; Brief Encounter; Great Expectations (David Lean's); Cabaret; Educating Rita; The French Lieutenant's Woman; On Golden Pond; A Private Function; The Bounty; Buster; Nuns On The Run; Fever Pitch; The Fabulous Baker Boys; Paris, Texas; Cinema Paradiso; Brassed Off; Silkwood; Rogue Trader; Charade; The Little Shop Of Horrors (Roger Corman's); Fried Green Tomatoes; The Eagle Has Landed; The African Queen; Rebecca; Scrooge; Notorious; The Last Emperor; Whistle Down the Wind; East Is East; The Madness Of King George; The Fourth Protocol; The Wild Geese

And I still have at least another 30 I could have names. You just have to keep your eyes open and not just limit yourself to one or two papers.

Sheesh, ok. I don't really buy papers. My parents buy The Daily Mail every Saturday, so I don't have much to choose from.

Taffy -> RE: Free dvds in this week's/weekend's papers thread (23/12/2005 12:21:28 PM)

Interesting article in this months DVD review saying that papers are doing these dvd giveaways at a loss, and are only doing it for a cheap promotional trick. Article says they cant see the papers continuing the trend for much longer, so make the most of the giveaways now. I personally have had a few good films (where eagles dare, long good friday) but the quality seems to be slipping of late.

ukedge87 -> RE: Free dvds in this week's/weekend's papers thread (2/1/2006 10:01:12 PM)

Rupert Murdoch hates the concept of free DVDs with the papers, he is a purist and thinks that papers should sell themselves.

elab49 -> RE: Free dvds in this week's/weekend's papers thread (5/1/2006 1:21:46 PM)

Rather a DVD than some of the muck he calls news. More likely he is just cheap.

Not quite DVDs, but the Independent are doing a Learn French CD on Saturday with a book to go with it on Sunday.

elab49 -> RE: Free dvds in this week's/weekend's papers thread (6/1/2006 1:26:27 PM)

For Scots - Daily Record Sat - Best of Chewin' the Fat, Sunday Mail - The Steamie

wrenster -> RE: Free dvds in this week's/weekend's papers thread (6/1/2006 3:40:14 PM)

It's the new year...and the first of the free DVDs have begun.

Daily Express tomorrow have A Farewell To Arms while the Sunday Express have The Scarlet Pimpernal.

Not sure about A Farewell To Arms, but got the sneaking suspicion that the Scarlet Pimpernal is the 1982 Anthony Andrews/Jane Seymour TV movie. We will have to wait and see.

wrenster -> RE: Free dvds in this week's/weekend's papers thread (9/1/2006 12:47:44 PM)

Well obviously someone isn't listening to the news that DVDs are making a loss for the papers.

This Saturday in the Guardian: Let Him Have It.

Monkeyshaver -> RE: Free dvds in this week's/weekend's papers thread (9/1/2006 12:56:33 PM)

Forget ya poncey berliner format papers! Stick to The Daily Mirror! Its a free epsiode of Are You Being Served today! [sm=happy34.gif] 

Starscream -> RE: Free dvds in this week's/weekend's papers thread (9/1/2006 3:10:31 PM)

quote:

Well obviously someone isn't listening to the news that DVDs are making a loss for the papers.

yeah theres a banner ad for it on this forum

wrenster -> RE: Free dvds in this week's/weekend's papers thread (10/1/2006 12:41:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Starscream

quote:

So I have now noticed...lol

elab49 -> RE: Free dvds in this week's/weekend's papers thread (13/1/2006 10:08:26 AM)

Independent  - Saturday, CLosely Observed Trains

Sunday - The Official Story

Leomuse -> RE: Free dvds in this week's/weekend's papers thread (13/1/2006 6:01:22 PM)

Saturday 14th
His Girl Friday
Daily Express

Sunday 15th
Penny Serenade
Sunday Express

elab49 -> RE: Free dvds in this week's/weekend's papers thread (13/1/2006 10:01:40 PM)

Daily Mail - starting this weekend, a week or so of detectives. This will likely only be via WH Smith and they run out pretty quickly - but I think you may be able to send away for them as my MIL did for the kiddies ones before Xmas.

Lebowski -> RE: Free dvds in this week's/weekend's papers thread (14/1/2006 7:46:38 AM)

His Girl Friday is absolutely great and Closely Observed Trains is well worth getting,  unfortunately I already have them [:@]   I'll pick up Penny Serenade if I remember, but TBH I wouldn't pay much more than the price of a paper for it. I'd never heard of The Official Story, but I just looked it up and it looks pretty damn good.  Cheers elab!

Starscream -> RE: Free dvds in this week's/weekend's papers thread (15/1/2006 1:03:32 PM)

Highlander is in Next sundays News of the World

whatashambles -> RE: Free dvds in this week's/weekend's papers thread (15/1/2006 4:09:33 PM)

David Lynch's 'Dune' is free in next Sundays Observer

wrenster -> RE: Free dvds in this week's/weekend's papers thread (17/1/2006 10:32:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ukedge87

Rupert Murdoch hates the concept of free DVDs with the papers, he is a purist and thinks that papers should sell themselves.

Let me get this straight...The News Of The World is part of Murdoch's empire, isn't it? Maybe they haven't told him about Highlander...lol

Ripper -> RE: Free dvds in this week's/weekend's papers thread (20/1/2006 9:24:53 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ukedge87

Step 1: Write some news in your papers.

Ripper -> RE: Free dvds in this week's/weekend's papers thread (20/1/2006 9:27:04 AM)

quote:

quote:

Brillliant film, I would get it if

I didnt have a dvd of it already

I could travel through time to last saturday

See, its always the little things that get you for things like this

Ripper -> RE: Free dvds in this week's/weekend's papers thread (20/1/2006 9:29:33 AM)

quote:

Highlander is in Next sundays News of the World

In that case, I'll be happy about getting a News Corp paper for once. That is, if there isnt a special edition out already.

*goes snooping

SilentBob -> RE: Free dvds in this week's/weekend's papers thread (20/1/2006 8:16:58 PM)

The Sun - 21st Jan - Conan

elab49 -> RE: Free dvds in this week's/weekend's papers thread (20/1/2006 9:16:40 PM)

Looks like the Sun is getting films that match the quality of it's own output!

Leomuse -> RE: Free dvds in this week's/weekend's papers thread (21/1/2006 10:56:54 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SilentBob

The Sun - 21st Jan - Conan

Turns out that its Conan the Destroyer and not the original film Conan the Barbarian which is actually meant to be good. Oh well.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI