Godfather Part II, The (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> Godfather Part II, The (24/3/2006 4:22:37 PM)

Post your comments on this article

mingusman -> (24/3/2006 4:22:37 PM)

A worthy follow-up, some say better than the original. Not to be overlooked.

Tokenfella -> RE: (24/3/2006 5:09:26 PM)

In a few words, a classic! Godfather Part II is set in the 50's with Vito's youngest son Michael Corleone now a Don and is in the process of expanding the family business into Cuba, Hollywood (it's ironic that a film is made by Hollywood!) and Las Vegas. The film also shows how a young Vito Corleone growing up in Sicily and rising to power in early 20th century America. The film is seen by many as the best in the trilogy and surpasses the original but I'm not one of these people. One gripe I have with this film is that it is far too long and a couple of scenes can be shortened. I'm annoyed even more why the film is split into two discs! That's the problem with current DVD. Roll on Hi-Def!

One of the best films ever made! 5/5

Jessica_ca_ca_ca -> RE: RE: (24/3/2006 5:44:13 PM)

Best of the trilogy by far, although points for The Godfather's initial originality [:D]. Who wanted to be part of the Corleone family? Hm, a thought to ponder on.

But, seriously, this film is absolutely mind-blowing. I'd like to say it defined a generation, or at least an era of cinema-goers because it was so brilliant. It is simply timeless. It's heartbreaking and beautiful... despite all the violence... although that makes it all the more tastier [;)]

wackojacko -> RE: RE: (25/3/2006 9:03:08 PM)

Absolutely bloody fantastic. Is it better than the original? Probably......

MOTH -> RE: RE: (27/3/2006 4:51:22 PM)

An astounding achievement.
The genius of Godfather Part II is in how the story is developed both backwards and forwards in time from the first instalment, thereby giving Coppola the opportunity to compare and contrast the fate of the Corleone family in different eras.
Brilliantly acted, directed and scripted this is simply essential viewing

Ell -> RE: RE: (27/3/2006 6:59:04 PM)

An astounding masterpiece that's got flawless performances from all involved. Better than the first IMO, and my favourite film of all time. 5/5

doctorolorinbats1975 -> RE: RE: (27/3/2006 7:18:32 PM)

Awesome! I love the editing of this: the contrast of Vito and Michael is fascinating.

doncopey1 -> RE: RE: (28/3/2006 9:52:15 PM)

The Godfather is an example of what film making should be done like, non of this modern day hollywood shite the Godfathers still lead by example as the finest films ever made (minus Vertigo). Its perfect in every department. Pacino should have been credit with an oscar for his greatest ever performance, but thats the oscars. Genius in a word *****

AgentGoth -> RE: RE: (29/3/2006 9:25:34 AM)

I'm not sure if I preferred The first Godfather or this one. Both are fantastic films, two of the best films I've ever had the pleasure of watching. I love the character of Vito Corleone. His portrayal by both Mr Brando and Mr De Niro and some really good scripting made him a fascinating character to watch. Michael's transformation as he finally becomes the Godfather in the first film is scary and yet such great viewing. Amd Robert Duvall's performance is also excellent. It's such a pity that he wasn't in the third film.

Peter Griffin -> RE: RE: (29/3/2006 10:09:25 AM)

quote:

And Robert Duvall's performance is also excellent. It's such a pity that he wasn't in the third film.

Agreed,he is sorely missed.

doncopey1 -> RE: RE: (29/3/2006 6:47:30 PM)

duvall wern't in the third film because he wasn't getting paid enough money! if he wasn't being greedy he would have been

AgentGoth -> RE: RE: (30/3/2006 10:33:59 AM)

I heard that they wanted to cut his pay loads, and he didn't feel that it was fair that he was getting paid so much less than Pacino (who also got his pay cut quite a lot).

ukedge87 -> (14/7/2006 2:17:40 PM)

I think it is personal preference which Godfather film (from the first two) you like the most - but personally, I loved the second one far more than the first.

The emphasis this time round is on the son of the Don, Michael, becoming the leader of Contelli family in a rapidly evolving world of gangsters and politics.

Beautifully shot, and brillantly acted by Pacino, and De'Niro, this film really is a masterpiece.

ukedge87 -> (14/7/2006 2:17:52 PM)

I think it is personal preference which Godfather film (from the first two) you like the most - but personally, I loved the second one far more than the first.

The emphasis this time round is on the son of the Don, Michael, becoming the leader of Contelli family in a rapidly evolving world of gangsters and politics.

Beautifully shot, and brillantly acted by Pacino, and De'Niro, this film really is a masterpiece.

huny_monster -> (21/7/2006 10:35:31 PM)

Better than the first, although all through the scenes with Michael, I was waiting for the flashback scenes.

solid snake -> Amazing (13/11/2006 1:00:03 PM)

I was very surprised when i decided this was better than the first. Even without old mumble chops this film still delivers the everything expected. A far better film than the first.

bobbyperu -> (24/10/2007 11:06:13 PM)

the second is the best - pacino - de niro on top form

bobbyperu -> (24/10/2007 11:06:13 PM)

the second is the best - pacino - de niro on top form

daxpieters -> The Godfather Part 2 (19/1/2008 8:36:37 PM)

It's the best movie I've ever seen! Better than the original. Everyhting makes sense. Best acting ever! It's a shame that Pacino didn't received an Oscar for his acting performance...

DJ Funktris -> Possibly... (14/2/2008 4:49:44 PM)

in the top ten films of all time... Amazing

DJ Funktris -> Possibly... (14/2/2008 4:49:44 PM)

in the top ten films of all time... Amazing

WiseGuy101 -> (5/2/2009 3:31:25 AM)

NOWHERE NEAR AS GOOD AS THE FIRST, BUT STILL WORTHY OF 5 STARS BECAUSE OF THE WAY IT MASTERFULLY FUSES TWO STORYLINES. PACINO HAS STEPPED UP TO THE PLATE OF LEAD ACTOR BRILLIANTLY BUT THE BEST ACTING COMES FROM DE NIRO, WHOSE AUTHENTIC SICILIAN IS AMAZING.

freshBELAIR -> (25/7/2010 11:37:50 PM)

Pacino & De Niro at their best.

Turd Ferguson -> Perfection (3/8/2011 8:06:07 PM)

Flawless. Simply put, a work of art.

antosh25 -> Part 2 (5/12/2011 4:46:55 AM)

Its a sequel and prequel in one ! SUCH GENIUS !

the film man -> The Godfather Part II Review (2/3/2012 11:47:08 PM)

Drawing on strong performances by Al Pacino and Robert De Niro, Francis Ford Coppola's continuation of Mario Puzo's Mafia saga set new standards for sequels that have yet to be matched or broken.

boutb006 -> Possibly the worst film I have ever set my eyes upon. (15/7/2012 6:32:01 PM)

About six months ago I watched the Godfather Part I and to tell you the truth I thoroughly enjoyed, I had good cast, good story but still not worth number two on imdb's top 250 and technically every top 100 film list on the web but still I must give it some credit. However today 15.7.12 I layed my eyes upon the masterpiece of terrible films I mean it truly is shockingly boring. I kept waiting for something to happen and nothing ever did.

Robert De Niro's role:
My second favourite actor of all time after Jack Nicholson who does proud in practically ever film I've seen with De Niro in until today. I mean what in Gods holy name did he win an Oscar for this pile of **beep** he wasn't even in half the film. Thoroughly disappointed, no wonder he didn't apear at the Academy Awards because he probably thought what the hell I am I doing winning an Oscar for the worlds most boring films ever. He probably felt embarrassed.

How people and watch that film and actually enjoy it is beyond me. I don't think I am exaggerating either to be completely honest I only watched the film to the end to see if Michael Corleone died to boy was he getting on my nerves.

I sorry if I have offended anyones opinion but if you want to sit and enjoy a film watch Pulp Fiction which by the way on paper if one worse that The Godfather Part II.

robmarathon -> A masterpiece like its predecessor (26/7/2012 9:26:01 AM)

Al Pacino ups his game and the supporting cast does the same. This epic broke a lot of records, being possibly the first GOOD sequel ever made and the first to win major awards. It imitates its predecessor and it does not fail like most sequels do, instead it took it to the next level.

BlackjackMusk3teer -> The Finest Sequel in Film History (21/5/2013 8:28:15 PM)

With Pacino's strong and smart portrayal of Michael Corleone, an outstanding performance from the supporting cast and an intense plot, this unforgettable sequel rises up to its predecessor, with, debatably, an even more powerful storyline than the first Godfather.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI