Despicable Me 2 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> Despicable Me 2 (25/6/2013 7:35:03 PM)

Post your comments on this article

luccewada -> Very disappointing (25/6/2013 7:35:03 PM)

One quick way of summing up the immense difference in quality between 2010′s Despicable Me and it’s sequel is the fact that Julie Andrews, one of the greatest living actresses and singers, has not reprised her role as Gru’s mother this time around. In no way does that imply that she was not happy with the film, but the fact that Al Pacino also dropped out says something about what the producers and directors have done wrong this time around. The first film is, in my opinion, one of the 5 best non-Pixar animated films of the 21st century. Its unique combination of brilliant wit, wonderfully formed characters and a very original story made it a perfect piece of entertainment for adults and kids alike, and a work of art. Most of its voice cast, the directors and composer Pharrell Williams (currently on a career high with Get Lucky and Blurred Lines topping the international charts) are all back for this effort, and hence there is really no reason why Despicable Me 2 shouldn’t be as fantastic as its predecessor. The problem is, nobody involved is trying hard enough to make a good film. The first film could easily have been just another tedious film from Illumination Entertainment. Another Hop, another The Lorax (both of which came out after the first DM). However, the filmmakers clearly tried very hard to pull it out of that league and into a league of far superior animated films: the Pixar league. The character of Gru (geniusly voiced by Steve Carell) is so instantly recognisable and originally hilarious that he transcends the studio at which he was created, and could easily fit in to the cast of a masterpiece like The Incredibles.

For the sequel, the filmmakers haven’t even considered trying as hard as they did back in 2010 to make a decent film. They pulled in their audience with that film, they’ve gained ‘customers’ over the past 3 years through DVD sales and constant Minion prostitution (those stupid creatures have

TheMightyBlackout -> RE: Despicable Me 2 (25/6/2013 8:08:29 PM)

Some great visual sketches, but I think it's missing the spark that made its predecessor such a great film.
The audience laughed throughout, but not as much as Universal and Illumination Entertainment's accountancy departments, I suspect.

dseys -> RE: Despicable Me 2 (27/6/2013 3:22:25 PM)

The minions are insanely funny. But the overal movie really isn't that good. A tiny little story where everything is cliché. They tried the spy movie parody, but it doesn't really work. There are some laughs, but this movie is for kids only. It's just too simplistic, like a TV cartoon. Far from the DreamWorks/Pixar level.

The kUrGaN -> Could have done without this one (4/7/2013 12:16:19 PM)

We loved the first one. I think it was well balanced and worked very well, for all ages (Pixar nut here). This one is a bit of a frantic mess, not as funny, loses most of the charm of the first.....and is, for the large part rather lazily aimed squarely at the little ones. It probably didn't help the fact we had a group of little ones in the cinema laughing hysterically at nearly every scene (I think it was a competition). It's a shame really.

Ref -> RE: Could have done without this one (4/7/2013 11:31:22 PM)

It was ok, is really the best I can say. Nowhere near as good as the first film, with fewer laughs and a pretty boring story line.

2.5/5

target -> RE: Could have done without this one (6/7/2013 9:47:05 PM)

I went to see this today because my sister was going with my nieces. So i tagged along. It was mildly amusing in places, but never really laugh out loud funny. The plot was a bit muddled. I thought it might be an interesting mystery about who the super villain was. but nope! just turns out to be the guy he said used to be a super villain near the start.

The kids enjoyed themselves. and were laughing throughout.

dolfinack -> RE: Could have done without this one (11/7/2013 10:47:50 PM)

Nice spoiler

tysmuse -> loved it! (17/7/2013 1:16:31 AM)

And it didn't even bother to see the first one, erm, first. Loved the Minions (obviously) but i also thought that there were plenty of other laughs elsewhere.

Dr Lenera -> RE: loved it! (17/7/2013 9:29:03 PM)

Kid’s films spawn sequels more than horror movies do these days, though this writer was a bit apprehensive when a sequel was announced to the best animated film of 2010. Well have no fear, it’s actually a very worthy follow-up. Like many of the best sequels, it manages to be both a different story and a continuation of the original, and gets the perfect balance between giving the audience more of the same and giving them something new. With Gru now no longer a villain, it doesn’t have many of the subversive elements of the first film, but it certainly has its heart, revolving around the sweetest ‘will they,won’t they” relationship in ages, and is even funnier. Many of the laughs centre on those wonderful yellow creatures called the Minions and their harmless brutality. Though the spy spoof tale has been done to death and the film’s more involved plotting means that it lacks the narrative drive of the original, the invention level is high and sometimes borders on surreal. This is the kind of a film where someone tries to commit suicide by strapping himself to a shark and skydiving into a volcano. A great watch for kids and adults alike, and further proof that, as ‘proper’ blockbusters are increasingly lacking in new ideas, spark, and the fun factor, the animated film is increasingly becoming a better source of those elements. Despicable Me 2 doesn’t even suffer much by having not only Russell Brand but Ken Jeong in it.

8/10

Jonny24 -> Stupid and boring (1/8/2013 8:15:08 PM)

Took my 6 year old nephew to see this today, he asked if we could leave halfway thru as he was bored. I gladly agreed.

Didn't see the first one so don't know if that was any good. I've seen great kid's movies (they are rarer and rarer) so I know good from bad. This was pathetic. Not even the minions saved it, they just looked like little yellow pricks.

Darren47 -> (22/12/2013 12:50:52 PM)

No way O'Hara, This is 4 stars! Not a 5 star masterpiece. But a really good 4 Star movie! Why? Because the charecter's are more developed, It's twice as funny, and it is as charmful as ever. But somehow, It cant match the predecessor. But still, its a better-than-average sequel, like Shrek 2.

chang -> RE: Despicable Me 2 (31/12/2013 12:27:23 PM)

Doesn't belong in the top ranks of animated fare but, like its predecessor, it contains enough humor, charm, and warmth to make it a solid family film.

m_er -> RE: Despicable Me 2 (19/1/2014 10:09:54 AM)

Thought this one was gonna be crappy movie. But hey, it is really enjoyable and funny at times.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI