Jim Carrey Distances Himself From Kick-Ass 2 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Empire Admin -> Jim Carrey Distances Himself From Kick-Ass 2 (24/6/2013 12:11:02 PM)

Post your comments on this article

Ulmaceae -> Hmm? (24/6/2013 12:11:02 PM)

Will this be the full Alan Moore? Be interesting to hear what he says on the press junket, if he does indeed take part.

I think over-analysising 140 characters is a bad idea. I'm going to wait and see

theothertimmy -> (24/6/2013 12:11:20 PM)

Mark Millar has completely missed the point Jim Carrey is making.

In light of the horrific events at Sandy Hook he's changed his mind about screen violence. He's not hypocritical - just human.

Ulmaceae -> Hmm? (24/6/2013 12:14:53 PM)

Curse my sudden but inevitable double post

kevmccann -> (24/6/2013 12:30:09 PM)

I wish he would distance himself from 'Liar, Liar', watched it for the first time in years last night and couldn't believe how bobbins it was, there's 90 minutes I'm not going to get back! Saying that, Carrey is entitled to have a change of heart over Kick-Ass 2, way to go fella!

My name is Legion -> RE: Jim Carrey Distances Himself From Kick-Ass 2 (24/6/2013 12:44:05 PM)

"he was at pains to point out that he is "not ashamed" of the film and has acted out of conscience after "recent events caused a change in my heart"."

No shit. Shockingly enough, I possess the ability to read, I don't need you to explain to me what I've just read.

Condescending twat.

punkdkid -> (24/6/2013 12:52:58 PM)

didnt quite fancy the endless rounds of interviews then Jim?! clever way to get out of promo.... next movie mr popper 2?!

punkdkid -> (24/6/2013 12:59:11 PM)

didnt quite fancy the endless rounds of interviews then Jim?! clever way to get out of promo.... next movie mr popper 2?!

klepto4 -> Fair Enough (24/6/2013 1:00:45 PM)

Well, it's just one of those things. I suppose even me being a horror fan there are still things that I would object to seeing. I suspect it's the same with Carrey, he's probably a bit more sensitive to it than other people. I don't know why he felt the need to speak out though. Has the role effected any future projects, has he lowered himself in someway that has had implications for future projects. Has he been criticised and therefore needed to defend himself. I would have probably kept my mouth shut. But then again I'm not a multi-million pound money making machine. So who knows.

Artoo -> RE: Fair Enough (24/6/2013 1:36:05 PM)

Er, sorry Jim but violence wasn't invented at Sandy Hook for fucks sake! Sure it was of course a completely tragic total waste of human life, but there's been violence pretty much worldwide (y'know - in Wars n'such) for a long, long time. It just seems strange for a 51 year old man to suddenly develop a concience and moral code.

Perhaps you could donate your fee for the film to the victims of Sandy Hook or to victims of violence everywhere?? Lets see how your concience guides you then shall we.......

tommypocket -> RE: Fair Enough (24/6/2013 2:00:17 PM)

This is an interesting one... and something I keep changing my mind over how I feel about.

It opens a huge debate about movie violence and its real-life implications (or lack thereof depending on where you stand). On the one hand... yes there have been numerous, high-profile acts of violence and - most significantly - school-massacres before Kick Ass (1 & 2)... BUT if Carrey says the events at Sandy Hook have altered his view then that's fair enough; being part of a production that features gun-toting teenage vigilantes may very well sit uneasily with him and be the 'tipping point' that brought these events too close to home for him. Much like Spielberg digitally replacing the guns in E.T., we may find this unnecessary and ridiculous, but it was clearly important to him. As human beings we should be constantly challenging and re-evaluating our beliefs and how we view the world... and be allowed to show it.

So does Carrey now have a 'no gun violence' policy for his future roles? I imagine some will call foul if he signs on to another action picture in the future... However I assume it may just well be the teenage angle of Kick Ass 2 that is the problem.

And those calling for him to then donate his salary to charity? Plain ridiculous... a typical example of how our reaction to events in the public eye have been altered by the media. What difference does it make? Like Carrey said, he's not ashamed of the movie, he hasn't bad-mouthed it, the money isn't 'dirty', his comments certainly won't damage the movie's profitability, he's just had a change in opinion - we're all allowed them.

Nicky C -> Sorry, where's the connection here? (24/6/2013 2:07:37 PM)

What's Kick-Ass 2 got to do with Sandy Hook? Honestly? Art does not contribute to shootings. What contributes to shootings is outdated, immature and unintelligent gun laws, a medicare system that's so prohibitively expensive that young people with mental problems can't be looked after properly because their parents could never afford the proper treatment, the social stigma around mental illness that keeps some from even admitting they're having problems and an American media that makes these sick people 'famous' or at the very least 'infamous' pretty much as soon as these awful events have happened. The adventures of Hit Girl are utterly irrelevant in the face of stone-cold, institutionalized societal errors such as those.

evs75 -> Burt Wonderstone anyone?? (24/6/2013 2:30:12 PM)

Disappointed with Jim on his comments on this, particularly as his last film The Incredible Burt Wonderstone featured him actually drilling himself in the head as part of his illusionist's act along with many other nonsensical violent acts that could be copied.
Of course that was a comedy, but the tone of the first Kick-Ass was supposed to be comedic too (although dark in places) and I'm sure the sequel will be of a similar tone.
Perhaps Jim has seen the finished film and it's a bit of a dud and he's quickly trying to distance himself from it...hope not though as was really looking forward to Kick Ass 2

NedStarksBastard -> (24/6/2013 2:50:23 PM)

As someone else has pointed out we are all allowed to have a change of heart in our views, but I think he is focusing on the wrong issue. Which I feel are more to do with guns laws in the states, the UK and many other countries watch the same movies as they do in america, do we have the same frequency of atrocities like sandy hook occurring? No. And a major reason for this is that guns aren't readily available to disturbed individuals. Also again as someone else has mentioned, better recognition and treatment for mentally ill people is needed and the stigma surrounding it has to be broken down.

Artoo -> RE: Fair Enough (24/6/2013 3:50:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: tommypocket

This is an interesting one... and something I keep changing my mind over how I feel about.

It opens a huge debate about movie violence and its real-life implications (or lack thereof depending on where you stand). On the one hand... yes there have been numerous, high-profile acts of violence and - most significantly - school-massacres before Kick Ass (1 & 2)... BUT if Carrey says the events at Sandy Hook have altered his view then that's fair enough; being part of a production that features gun-toting teenage vigilantes may very well sit uneasily with him and be the 'tipping point' that brought these events too close to home for him. Much like Spielberg digitally replacing the guns in E.T., we may find this unnecessary and ridiculous, but it was clearly important to him. As human beings we should be constantly challenging and re-evaluating our beliefs and how we view the world... and be allowed to show it.

So does Carrey now have a 'no gun violence' policy for his future roles? I imagine some will call foul if he signs on to another action picture in the future... However I assume it may just well be the teenage angle of Kick Ass 2 that is the problem.

And those calling for him to then donate his salary to charity? Plain ridiculous... a typical example of how our reaction to events in the public eye have been altered by the media. What difference does it make? Like Carrey said, he's not ashamed of the movie, he hasn't bad-mouthed it, the money isn't 'dirty', his comments certainly won't damage the movie's profitability, he's just had a change in opinion - we're all allowed them.

You make some good points, but could you please explain the part highlighted as I don't see how the media has altered my reaction to this.

And genuinely, if he has been so affected by the events at Sandy Hook why is it so ridiculous to ask him to donate to the victims? I'll tell you why it's ridiculous - because it simply wont ever, ever happen!

Shifty Bench -> RE: Burt Wonderstone anyone?? (24/6/2013 3:57:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: evs75

Disappointed with Jim on his comments on this, particularly as his last film The Incredible Burt Wonderstone featured him actually drilling himself in the head as part of his illusionist's act along with many other nonsensical violent acts that could be copied.

This is actually a good point. Burt Wonderstone was a PG-13 as opposed to the R rating Kick Ass 2 will get so more kids will be able to see the film where he drills himself in the head for comedic effect.

d0m_l -> Marketing (24/6/2013 4:13:08 PM)

I understand the topic of the massacre at Sandy Hook is very sensitive and should not be discussed lightly. That said, Jim Carrey has probably (intentionally or unintentionally ... my cynical side suspects the former) just provided the production with more media attention than it would've received if he hadn't have made the statement at all. The resulting 'controversy' that will surround the film will only assist its promotion. I'm sure the producers are (directly or indirectly) thanking him for his actions behind closed doors.

Jasper_29 -> The director compares himself with some big-name directors. (24/6/2013 4:32:57 PM)

The reason why these directors are respectable is because of the way they use violence in their movies. Whether or not Kick-Ass 2 fits into this rythm temains to be seen.

rubadub -> (24/6/2013 6:48:44 PM)

Big puff.

spamfiend -> Tell the truth (24/6/2013 6:51:12 PM)

If he said, 'I got paid for the film but cannot in any way, shape or form be arsed to do the countless repetitive interview we have to do on movie promotion' I would have had 100% respect for you but this proves that you have NO moral substance.

Sandy Hook was a terrible occurrence which happened December last year so why has it taken you 8 months to all of a sudden develop a conscience??

To quote Legion - 'condescending twat'

Cool Breeze -> RE: Tell the truth (24/6/2013 8:57:20 PM)

If he wants to '' distance '' himself from the film thats his perogative.

However, is he now going to distance himself from the massive pay check he received for doing the movie and any royalties?

tommypocket -> RE: Fair Enough (24/6/2013 10:36:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Artoo

quote:

You make some good points, but could you please explain the part highlighted as I don't see how the media has altered my reaction to this.

And genuinely, if he has been so affected by the events at Sandy Hook why is it so ridiculous to ask him to donate to the victims? I'll tell you why it's ridiculous - because it simply wont ever, ever happen!

The public's reaction to news events has always baffled me, particularly recently. When someone in the public eye does something we collectively disapprove of, the media calls for a 'public apology' and everyone nods without quite understanding why they want or need one. Now we are all Roman Emperors - sat aloft passing judgement, turning our thumbs up and down... These public apologies achieve nothing; no-one actually feels satisfied that 'justice' has been dealt, it just gives the media an additional show of power and enhances the impression they're in control.

Why do we want Carrey to donate his money? Sure, it'd be a nice gesture, but he hasn't done anything wrong, neither does he feel like his paycheck is tarnished or earnt unethically. I was brought up in the understanding that talking about money was vulgar. How much someone earns and what they do with it is none of anyone's business. I therefore wouldn't be so crass as to tell someone - regardless how poor or wealthy they are - what to do with it.

We also don't know he hasn't already donated it - he doesn't need to come out and say either way.

sideshowbob1971 -> (25/6/2013 3:18:55 AM)

Can see both sides of the argument, but if he'd seen the original film, maybe read the script motor thoughly , paid more attention during the shooting of the film, and, maybe, just maybe looked at some of the gratuitous, but "comical" violence in his previous films, this may have had more resonance....as it stands "twat"

hellboy_jnr -> (25/6/2013 9:35:05 AM)

"I'll keep the cash, though..."

Artoo -> RE: Fair Enough (25/6/2013 9:52:40 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Artoo

quote:

The public's reaction to news events has always baffled me, particularly recently. When someone in the public eye does something we collectively disapprove of, the media calls for a 'public apology' and everyone nods without quite understanding why they want or need one. Now we are all Roman Emperors - sat aloft passing judgement, turning our thumbs up and down... These public apologies achieve nothing; no-one actually feels satisfied that 'justice' has been dealt, it just gives the media an additional show of power and enhances the impression they're in control.

Why do we want Carrey to donate his money? Sure, it'd be a nice gesture, but he hasn't done anything wrong, neither does he feel like his paycheck is tarnished or earnt unethically. I was brought up in the understanding that talking about money was vulgar. How much someone earns and what they do with it is none of anyone's business. I therefore wouldn't be so crass as to tell someone - regardless how poor or wealthy they are - what to do with it.

We also don't know he hasn't already donated it - he doesn't need to come out and say either way.

I'm no fan of the mainstream media, in fact I have a healthly disdain for them on the main part but I thin we've evolved somewhat since the days of the colloseum!! Lol! [:D]

If Jim Carrey is going to use the media as a tool to distance himself from this film then why is it so outrageous for us to comment or pass judgement on it? He hasn't just made the movie, realised he doesn't feel good about for whatever reason and then decided to keep his feelings to himself - he has publicly and openly critisized the movie's content and distanced himself from it just as publicly! What, are we just supposed to accept it without question? Because human nature dictates otherwise I'm afraid!

It's not the talking about money that's vulgar - it's the money itself, especially the fee's some of these movie stars get. I know at one time Jim Carrey was the highest paid star in the world (he earned $25 million for Bruce Almighty) and although he's come down a few notches since then in terms of what he can ask for, I'm sure his fee is fairly substantial. So, if you are going to come out in the media and publicly critisize and distance yourself from a film you've already got in the can I'm afraid you've got to expect people to question your motives and look for some sort of reconciliation on your part - in this case it would be to donate at least a good sized chunk of your fee to the familys of the victims of Sandy Hook!

I should actually say at this point that I am actually a big fan of Jim Carrey's work and have always liked his sort of whacky humour (Dumb and Dumber stands out by a mile), but this kind of announcement just brings out the cynic in me!

Moody -> Buullll. Shit. Jim! (25/6/2013 6:28:27 PM)

That's my two cents...

Y2Neildotcom -> It's Viral Marketing (26/6/2013 12:16:16 PM)

By saying he won't market the film, Carrey has essentially marketed the film. I think this is all part of a bigger ploy. We'll see Chole Moretz next saying she thinks girls can't be role models.

My full thoughts here: http://www.y2neil.com/jim-carrey-and-kick-ass-2/

Niekvq -> Well played mr carrey (27/6/2013 10:27:24 PM)

This was a good move by carrey. He first did a movie he really wanted to do and got paid for it. Now he is not aggrevating any of the us religious nuts by renouncing this movie. At the Same time he'll probably be saved from any publicity duties. A cowardice move though.

I for one am looking forward to this movie as the first one rocked chocolate salty balls. I hope there will be a third one after this and even more people die. Screw all american conservative nutjobs. Start with abolishing gun ownership before pointing fingers at the movie industry.

Jasper_29 -> RE: Well played mr carrey (28/6/2013 3:58:41 PM)

he finally stars in a movie that people might actually go and see, and he distances himself from it. okay...

Overmind -> RE: Well played mr carrey (29/6/2013 6:13:44 AM)

You did read the Comic in preperation for the Movie did you Jim?

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI