My 50 favourite songs, like, EVAH! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile

MonsterCat -> My 50 favourite songs, like, EVAH! (25/5/2013 11:14:35 PM)

A thread in which I will rank and write (badly) about my favourite songs.

I'll also be shamelessly ripping off Jarvis' funny picture theme.

MonsterCat -> RE: My 50 favourite songs, like, EVAH! (25/5/2013 11:27:38 PM)

[image]http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01290/Eggheads_1290657c.jpg[/image]

#50 - Guided by Voices // Game of Pricks

Alien Lanes, GBV's landmark debut LP with Matador, mostly sounds like it was recorded at the bottom of a swimming pool, on one of those Fisher Price tape recorder decks. But underneath the tape hiss and thick layer of scuzz lies 28 (yup, 28) tracks of pop rock genius, mostly written by GBV mastermind Robert Pollard. Game of Pricks is one of the many stand-out tracks and showcases Bob's ear for a memorable tune and a talent for heartfelt lyrics. It might be short (running at a hair over one minute) but it's catchy as hell.

From the album: Alien Lanes (1996, Matador)

Click here to listen!

MonsterCat -> RE: My 50 favourite songs, like, EVAH! (26/5/2013 7:50:49 PM)

[image]http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/guardian/About/General/2011/7/22/1311340649731/Stelios-Haji-Ioannou-easy-007.jpg[/image]

# 49 - Real Estate // Easy

There's nothing particularly challenging or pioneering about Real Estate's brand of hazy psychadelic indie pop. But sometimes there's nothing like being cradled in the arms of a catchy song, and the opening track on the band's second LP, Days, is just perfect for listening to whilst lying down in a field on a warm sunny day.

From the album Days (Domino; 2010)

Listen to it here!

SadFace -> RE: My 50 favourite songs, like, EVAH! (26/5/2013 8:49:10 PM)

Yeah, like Days. It's fluff, but good fluff.

Edit: Have you heard Kaputt by Destroyer? Similar easy-listening indie pop from the same year, I think, and the title track is brilliant.

MonsterCat -> RE: My 50 favourite songs, like, EVAH! (29/5/2013 11:35:23 AM)

[image]http://medeaconnection.com/photo/lydon.jpg[/image]

#48 - Sex Pistols // Problems

I have to admit that the Pistols' music generally leaves me a bit cold (I'm more of a Clash guy), but Problems is a seriously rocking, turbo charged punk rock track. Rotten's spittle laced vocals and his band's driving instrumentals have never been so compelling.

From the album Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols (1977; Virgin)

Listen to it HERE!

matty_b -> RE: My 50 favourite songs, like, EVAH! (29/5/2013 1:23:38 PM)

Hadn't heard the first two before, but they were really good.

Sex Pistols are excellent, too.

tommyjarvis -> RE: My 50 favourite songs, like, EVAH! (6/6/2013 11:48:31 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
I'll also be shamelessly ripping off Jarvis' funny picture theme.

Glad my style rubbed off on you [:D]

So far:

Game of Pricks - quite liked this, reminded me of someone else I can't put my finger on.

Easy - this was pleasant enough, not sure it'll stick in my memory. Reminds me a bit of Galaxie 500.

Problems - it's OK, but I prefer some of the other songs off that album (Holidays In Sun, Bodies, Pretty Vacant etc)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI