The 20 Soundtracks That Defined The 1990s (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online

Empire Admin -> The 20 Soundtracks That Defined The 1990s (13/5/2013 12:20:22 PM)

Post your comments on this article

The_Ravenking -> What a predictably boring selection for the 90's! (13/5/2013 12:20:22 PM)

You left out some of the best soundtracks:
Léon;
The Straight Story;
Se7en;
The Thin Red Line;
Grosse Pointe Blank;
Cruel Intensions;
Human Traffic;
The Virgin Suicides;
Kikujiro
and instead you include Bodyguard and Titanic!?

Phil de Semlyen -> Yes, but... (13/5/2013 1:42:40 PM)

These aren't designed as 'Greatest-of' lists or even compendiums of the scores we love the most. Without being all highfaluting, the aim is to try to capture a moment in time - in movies and popular culture - and like them or not, The Bodyguard and Titanic soundtracks were HUGE. They sold more than 70m copies between them, dominated radio playlists and came attached to two huge hits.

guysalisbury -> Some key omitions! (13/5/2013 2:29:33 PM)

The Crow, Judgement Night, Grosse Point Blank, Human Traffic! T2 and Crimson Tide are great films, but defining soundtracks? No! Natural Born Killers is a crap film but the soundtrack is amazing! As much as I hate to admit it, Pretty Woman should also get an honorable mention

klepto4 -> WOT NO MATRIX? (13/5/2013 5:49:58 PM)

Yeah happened to the Matrix? Also I think "The Rock" should have been in Crimson Tide's place. lol Titanic and the Bodyguard, just goes to show what terrible taste in music people have, oh they were awlful. Also the cringe inducing Four Weddings blah blah and Bryan Adams insufferable tune from Robin Hood...urgh!, surely there were more on those soundtracks simply the horrid no1 singles. Oh yeah I know the Phantom Menace was ho-um to put mildely, but Duel of the Fates was terrific. Fifth Element and Event Horizon also anyone??????

Ballschin -> Where is The Matrix? (13/5/2013 9:18:31 PM)

If you're not simply doing scores then surely The Matrix should be included, you couldn't watch tele for years after without hearing Rob D's "Clubbed to Death" on some programme or another.

evildave69 -> (14/5/2013 2:46:53 AM)

Glad to see Out Of Sight in there. I'm not one to attack the choices made (not all actually brilliant but still memorable for many reasons, which is why I'm surprised that Bryan Adams isn't in there, even if it does eclipse what is actually a terrific score for Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves), although having Danny Elfman only show up for his work on '89s Batman soundtrack is pretty tough considering Edward Scissorhands (my fave!) and The Nightmare Before Christmas are both amazing.
And though you mentioned Schindler's List, not having it on the list is sort of unforgivable.

Hans_Klopek -> 90's soundtracks (15/5/2013 1:29:55 PM)

The Thin Red Line is personally one of my favourites from the 90's

NeoBrowser -> Re (19/5/2013 4:14:20 AM)

Missing:

The Matrix
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
The Last of the Mohicans.

This list is fucking insulting!

osh man -> Heat? (19/5/2013 1:38:19 PM)

No Heat.

UTB -> RE: Re (19/5/2013 2:09:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: NeoBrowser

Missing:

The Matrix
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
The Last of the Mohicans.

This list is fucking insulting!

The Phantom Menace soundtrack helped define the 90's? Really?

No.

JackieBrownFan -> (20/5/2013 7:56:19 PM)

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me is a favourite of mine. I would also have made room for Run Lola Run.

Drama_Rhiannon -> (24/5/2013 6:33:13 PM)

How could you not include PT Anderson's MAGNOLIA and (to a lesser degree) BOOGIE NIGHTS? The music of Aimee Mann inspired him to write Magnolia and Boogie Nights was all about the music.

Ivor Rod -> (30/5/2013 11:19:21 AM)

What, no Mohicans??

Ivor Rod -> (30/5/2013 11:25:07 AM)

What, no Mohicans??

Ivor Rod -> (30/5/2013 11:28:03 AM)

What, no Mohicans??

sdilku -> Disagree on The Piano... (5/6/2013 10:57:04 AM)

...it was a great score, but John Williams' Schindler's List score deserved to beat it to the Oscar.

sdilku -> Also... (5/6/2013 10:58:30 AM)

...The English Patient and Dances with Wolves should have been on this list. Both amazing scores.

iainjames -> (15/6/2013 9:51:08 AM)

Glad to see Shawshank favoured over (the still excellent) American Beauty. Grosse Point Blank is a great shout - especially the Mirror In The Bathroom cue - but (frustratingly) the film just isn't popular enough to be iconic. I think having both Reservoir Dogs AND Pulp Fiction is a bit unfair, though it would be hard to argue which should stay. And I can understand the inclusion of Titanic but The Bodyguard sold on the basis of 'I Will Always...' - you might as well include Four Weddings. And to overlook Goodfellas (certainly on the basis of the music in the film, if not on the physical soundtrack album) is frankly poor.

iainjames -> (15/6/2013 9:56:27 AM)

Oh and you can certainly argue that theTerminator 2 soundtrack is a retread - albeit a fleshed-out one - of Fiedel's original 80's score.

iainjames -> (15/6/2013 10:01:58 AM)

I would also moot GoldenEye - Eric Serra came up with one of the only recent Bond scores that strayed from the John Barry sympathies and it's all the better for it. Tina Turner's theme song (with the help of half of U2) remains one of the best as well.

thorthemighty -> RE: (16/6/2013 3:34:08 PM)

GoldenEye was a blatant rip off of Goldfinger only not as good. There has not been a decent Bond theme since Duran Duran's 'A view to a kill' I'm afraid. Since then, Skyfall has probably been the best of the bunch.

iainjames -> Point taken but point missed (16/6/2013 5:13:24 PM)

Fair enough if you think the theme paid homage (ripped off, if you like) Goldfinger but my point about the rest of the soundtrack remains. And it transcended the film too - becoming an integral part of what made the N64 game of the film so memorable.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI