Deanna Durbin Has Died (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Empire Admin -> Deanna Durbin Has Died (2/5/2013 5:16:20 PM)

Post your comments on this article

larry41onebay -> survive, for now. (2/5/2013 5:16:20 PM)

Deanna Durbin has died.

Yes it is sad that she is gone, but thank goodness her films survive, for now.

In fact it is because of inspiring feel good movies like Durbin’s and director Frank Capra’s that I got seriously involved with motion picture preservation.

I first discovered the blue eyed, brown haired Canadian warbler back in the 1980s when AMC used to show American Movie Classics from the Universal Studios library without commercial interruption. I used to scourer the TV guide for old classic films rated 3 stars or better by Leonard Maltin. I discovered lots of gems and one those was Durbin’s One Hundred Men And A Girl.

I at first found Deanna’s talents utterly charming, she was captivating to watch – a natural actress – and when she would break into song it was if the world had stop turning and now revolved around her. She became the center of the universe, for just that scene.

Needless to say over the years I have tracked down all 21 of her films, the best in my opinion being: It Started With Eve, Spring Parade, Lady On A Train, His Butler’s Sister, Every Sunday, Mad About Music, That Certain Age, Three Smart Girls, Three Smart Girls Grow Up, Something In The Wind and First Love. Which means, to me most of her films are great!

If you’ve never seen one of Deanna’s romantic comedies with music, I recommend you naturally start with It Started With Eve and if that does not hook you --- you are a cynic and in need of a sense of humor and some humanity.

Deanna, as it says in many of the obits now circulating the Google driven globe was both highly paid and by today’s generation mostly forgotten… but I want to ask those who are simply impressed with how much she was paid – ask yourself why was she the top money maker of 1947?

Answer: It’s because she had talent and the public LOVED HER! It’s true she was discovered side-by-side with Judy Garland and was as

theoriginalcynic -> RE: survive, for now. (2/5/2013 7:43:13 PM)

One of my favourite actresses. Very sad. Thanks for the great article Empire.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI