J.J. Abrams Talks Star Wars (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Empire Admin -> J.J. Abrams Talks Star Wars (25/4/2013 3:39:58 AM)

Post your comments on this article

NeoBrowser -> (25/4/2013 3:39:58 AM)

I hope he takes as much of Lucas' advice as possible.

leroythemasochist -> sequel/remake weirdness (25/4/2013 8:15:37 AM)

very excited about SW7 and looking forward to ST but this is surely a sign of the times that one of the most celebrated big name directors is most known for essentially making sequels and remakes.
This is not how JJ's big heroes did things, they had the chance to make their own movies, from original stories. If we just keep on doing remakes and sequels we'll never have any more characters as great as Indiana Jones, Luke Skywalker, Obi Wan Kenobi, Han Solo etc etc etc. OK, so these are just two guys making movies but we're still talking about these movies and characters. We need more originality.

BenTramer -> (25/4/2013 11:17:00 AM)

@leroythemasochist That's true but today's movies are very different. They've been dumbed down for foreign markets and made kiddie-friendly to make more money. They're not the challenging, complex and bleak films of the 70s, for me, the best era of films ever. So Abrams would not have the same choice his heroes had back in the day. Not his fault.

Manfrendshensindshen -> RE: (25/4/2013 12:52:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BenTramer

@leroythemasochist They've been dumbed down for foreign markets and made kiddie-friendly to make more money.

.. because foreigners are more stupid than English native speakers, innit?

I agree with the overall sentiment, but I'd rather blame current cost & corporate structures then go down the xenophobic route.

waltham1979 -> I am begging you... (25/4/2013 2:36:46 PM)

"The advantage here is that we still have George Lucas with us to go to and ask questions and get his feedback on things, which I certainly will do"...I am begging you; please don't ask his advice!!

Simon124 -> With Star Trek it was harder because I wasn’t a Star Trek fan; I didn’t have the same emotional feeling, and I didn’t have Gene Roddenberry to go to.” (25/4/2013 3:46:46 PM)

Then why bother, that's exactly why JJ's Star Trek doesn't work, there's no heart in it, hopefully as his Abramness actually LIKES Star Wars it might fare a bit better

nybras -> Stay away from Lucas (25/4/2013 3:53:15 PM)

He's got Jar Jar for Brains already!

stffgpr2003 -> JJ is the new Roddenberry (2/5/2013 2:34:57 AM)

If the sequel is as good as his first, JJ should stick with the Star Trek franchise, which he re-imagined, while staying true to most Star Trek more.

Mr Gittes -> RE: (2/5/2013 2:41:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: NeoBrowser

I hope he takes as much of Lucas' advice as possible.

I hope you're trolling.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI