The Hobbit Passes The $1 Billion Mark (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Empire Admin -> The Hobbit Passes The $1 Billion Mark (4/3/2013 12:53:07 PM)

Post your comments on this article

BelfastBoy -> (4/3/2013 12:53:07 PM)

This is totally random, but I'm a frustrated wannabe novelist who writes scifi. UK literary agents generally want stuff that has the potential to crossover into film or TV, yet very few are interested in reading scifi / fantasy proposals. Yet of the top 15 films listed above, practically all of them are in that genre, so clearly people like to watch that sort of thing!

BenTramer -> Fantasy Rocks! (4/3/2013 1:13:52 PM)

@BelfastBoy I'm in the same boat, my friend. Harry Potter was turned down by every publisher and ended up being the biggest writing phenomenon of recent years. Agents and publishers only want to publish celeb rubbish to make money. It's not about quality. You're better off self-publishing, don't waste anymore of your life waiting on rejection letters.

Nicky C -> It's all a bit 'Burger King' isn't it? (4/3/2013 1:24:02 PM)

13 out of 15 are franchises and, to my mind, only 5 of them are really that good. Makes you realize that a) The Oscars look pretty redundant when very few winners are this commercially successful and b) Hollywood only has itself to blame if really good movies don't do well. People tend to watch the movies that are advertised the most. All these top 15 had print campaigns that cost more than most movies' production budgets.

stevos -> Very odd (4/3/2013 2:58:46 PM)

How can a film, that people aren't exactly talking about, and has hardly got any buzz, break $1billion?! Shows you how much stupid money is in the global film business.

haranjen -> When's it out on VHS? (4/3/2013 8:56:52 PM)

I'll wait for the 5 hour long special edition blu ray, only then will I really be able to appreciate how much Peter Jackson can string out a thin storyline.

haranjen -> Adjust for Inflation (4/3/2013 9:01:00 PM)

These figures mean nothing, when adjusted for inflation it turns out Howard the Duck took 3.6 billion dollars at the US box office alone. And that's an English billion (1,000,000,000,000) - not of that 100 million crap the yanks have made us use.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI