Half Life or Portal – Valve on Film (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films

pete_traynor -> Half Life or Portal – Valve on Film (7/2/2013 10:18:35 AM)

Exciting – Certainly!

But first things first. Valve should not get distracted with film adaptations just yet and simply deliver Half-Life 3. The world and his wife is waiting (and has been for 6 years!) for that… that should be the priority.

But once Valve have delivered the inevitably Earth shattering HL3, sure, definitely go ahead and make some films.  HL is certainly more ripe for cinematic exploration but Freeman could not be the central character… he's never once spoken. Plus, HL3 should and probably will close his story arc.

A film centering around the Combine and the Earth resistance (the 7 Hour War) could be great. Hell, The 7 Hour War is a great name for a film in the HL universe. A real time trilogy perhaps…

Drew_231 -> RE: Half Life or Portal – Valve on Film (7/2/2013 11:10:20 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

A film centering around the Combine and the Earth resistance (the 7 Hour War) could be great. Hell, The 7 Hour War is a great name for a film in the HL universe. A real time trilogy perhaps…

What would separate it from all the other alien Invasion movies though? That's one of my concerns, the HL franchise is more about the stories presentation as opposed to the story itself (the first game is really just an update of Doom). The same goes for Portal, escaping Glados using the portal gun makes for thrilling gameplay, but wouldn't be as interesting as a film (or would it?)

But is an interesting prospect, and Valve have always maintained that they would only get involved with films if they were presented with an original direction, so here's hoping.

pete_traynor -> RE: Half Life or Portal – Valve on Film (7/2/2013 11:31:37 AM)

Perhaps you’re right.

I suppose the visual aesthetic in HL 2 was so strong that it felt very unique to me. From the ex soviet bloc feel of the early stages, through to the huge, almost tech industrial feel of the Citadel. And the whole design for the Combine and they’re bio mechanical tech was extremely striking. There was (and is) nothing else like it... well, that I've played or seen anyway.

So I think it could potentially set itself apart (quite strongly) if the same level of attention is dedicated to the visual direction of the film… but would that be enough? Hard to say, so hopefully there would be a really good story to tell within that period when the war happened.

Drew_231 -> RE: Half Life or Portal – Valve on Film (7/2/2013 12:19:31 PM)

I could be wrong as well

There was that short film 'Escape from City 17' made a couple of years ago which was amazing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ixFf4ljuCg

A full length version could be incredible

ripperman -> RE: Half Life or Portal – Valve on Film (8/2/2013 12:00:50 PM)

Bryan Cranston would be a brilliant Gordon Freeman surely, although age may be an issue? I'd be very happy seeing Freeman cast as an older man instead though.

pete_traynor -> RE: Half Life or Portal – Valve on Film (8/2/2013 12:35:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ripperman

Bryan Cranston would be a brilliant Gordon Freeman surely, although age may be an issue? I'd be very happy seeing Freeman cast as an older man instead though.

Given that worm holes and dimensional rifts play such a large part in HL, it wouldn’t be hard to put something in the plot in order to have an older Gordon.   Cranston would be great! Perhaps if Freeman had been on an inter dimensional, time adjusting jaunt he may have learned to speak by the time he gets back! [:D]

Dannybohy -> RE: Half Life or Portal – Valve on Film (8/2/2013 12:38:43 PM)

I have a confession!. I have been a PC rig builder and gamer since mid 90s!! I have never played Half life, any of them!!!

ripperman -> RE: Half Life or Portal – Valve on Film (8/2/2013 12:52:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: ripperman

Given that worm holes and dimensional rifts play such a large part in HL, it wouldn’t be hard to put something in the plot in order to have an older Gordon.   Cranston would be great! Perhaps if Freeman had been on an inter dimensional, time adjusting jaunt he may have learned to speak by the time he gets back! [:D]

That’s true. Yeah the non speaking thing is going to be a real problem to address surely, unless they just get on with it, make him talk and just make some kind of in joke about him being very quiet or something!? That’s another reason I thought Cranston would be great. There are moments throughout Breaking Bad where Walt can just sit there quietly on his own or when other characters are talking around him and he still for me anyway (no disrespect to the other fine actors), remains the most interesting thing in the scene even when he’s not saying anything.

pete_traynor -> RE: Half Life or Portal – Valve on Film (8/2/2013 1:00:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

I have a confession!. I have been a PC rig builder and gamer since mid 90s!! I have never played Half life, any of them!!!

I never played the first but 2 is just incredible! The Combine are my favorite video adversaries of all time.  

I used to be an avid gamer and my flat mate at the time upgraded all his specs to run HL2. My jaw just hit the floor as soon as it started. Every single thing about it is (or was, given tech advancements) just insanely brilliant.

As much as I want the likes of Into Darkness, MoS and other big films that are on the way… I’d forsake them all just to play Half Life 3 this year.

ripperman -> RE: Half Life or Portal – Valve on Film (8/2/2013 1:06:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

Wow, you’re missing out! The original half life although dated graphically now obviously, remains incredibly enjoyable, full of humour and invention while half life 2 and its subsequent episodes remain bench marks against which all video games not just fps should be tested. Graphically very powerful even though it must be pushing eight years at this stage and like the original an incredible achievement in interactive media. Sold!?

Drew_231 -> RE: Half Life or Portal – Valve on Film (8/2/2013 2:47:45 PM)

I think HL2: Episode 2 is still the best of the series

And that ending......

This wait for the 3rd game is killing me

pete_traynor -> RE: Half Life or Portal – Valve on Film (8/2/2013 2:55:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drew_231

This wait for the 3rd game is killing me

I know! Get us aboard the Borealis ASAP!

Titanm21 -> RE: Half Life or Portal – Valve on Film (8/2/2013 3:27:43 PM)

I’ve only played these (via the Orange Box) last year for the first time. I think the game still really stands up graphically, gameplay and story wise to even the most modern games.

piginapoke -> RE: Half Life or Portal – Valve on Film (28/2/2013 6:55:15 PM)

We've had a pretty good nod to a cinematic version of Half Life already in the form of The Mist, and the walker being attacked at the end of War of the Worlds reminded me of taking on a Strider in Half Life 2.

Would love to see a Half Life film, although Half Life 2 would probably entertain the audience more.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI