Thunderbirds Are Go Again (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Empire Admin -> Thunderbirds Are Go Again (4/2/2013 10:28:01 PM)

Post your comments on this article

AlexTaylor98 -> (4/2/2013 10:28:01 PM)

I'm sure this could be awesome, if it's done well. Big if. Too often classic films or TV shows are recreated, and are unjust to the originals. But I dearly hope that a good job will be done of this. Looking forward to seeing what it'll be like!

jobloffski -> RE: (5/2/2013 8:04:04 AM)

Said it before but...for me the ideal approach to this film is to make up the actors, and have them move like, the puppets. Even add strings in Cgi to as closely as possible replicate the actual series. The hokey and cheesy look of the characters contrasted with the action is intrinsic to the charm of the show. Attempting a more normal looking film would compromise the nostalgic appeal for seeing a film of this. However a stylistic approach such as this suggestion would result in a totally unique film production that can include all the excesses of the show without having to make things realistic. Make up or a digital sheen added in post to actors equals a film that would look and feel more right than outright live action adaptation. And the conceit of tje actors moving like puppets gives the film a rare thing: a genuine USP. Job done.

Nicky C -> This could be sickeningly good! (5/2/2013 12:56:52 PM)

You don't need stupid puppet-style performances and there's no need for a 'big if'. All it takes it is a hearfelt update by people who care. The 2004 movie really seemed like they didn't give a shit and just wanted to cash in on the franchise name. Richard Taylor is a man who really loves his work though so hopes are high. I'd love to see some sweaty-palm tension, family-wrenching drama between the Tracy brothers and a nice long story arc. I wouldn't want it to be 'rescue of the week' repetitive crap. It's got to be serious. I want to see what the burden of their job does to the Tracys and their families.

andrewgc -> Nearly (5/2/2013 1:12:49 PM)

Back in the 90s I wrote a treatment for a live action Thunderbirds. I got in touch with Gerry Anderson who loved it, but advised I did not have the rights "but we will contact you when we go ahead". After waiting I realised he DIDN'T OWN the rights anymore. I ended up in touch with Stewart Till, then one of the top bods in UK film and he put me in touch with two US film companies, one of whom wanted to develop my idea. Then it all fell apart when they came up with the stupid 'kiddie' film, a real abortion with Ben Kingsley as the bad guy for God's sake - God help Iron Man 3!

So near and so far. Back to the day job.

spark1 -> 2nd Chance (5/2/2013 1:47:46 PM)

hopefully itv will treat it better than anderson's 'new captain scarlett' and give it the same attention as they did early 'primeval' and how the beeb treats their fantasy shows.

jobloffski -> RE: This could be sickeningly good! (5/2/2013 5:27:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nicky C

You don't need stupid puppet-style performances and there's no need for a 'big if'. All it takes it is a hearfelt update by people who care. The 2004 movie really seemed like they didn't give a shit and just wanted to cash in on the franchise name. Richard Taylor is a man who really loves his work though so hopes are high. I'd love to see some sweaty-palm tension, family-wrenching drama between the Tracy brothers and a nice long story arc. I wouldn't want it to be 'rescue of the week' repetitive crap. It's got to be serious. I want to see what the burden of their job does to the Tracys and their families.

Almost every TV-FILM adaptation falls on its arse by not considering what it is that has given it the longevity that has created any possibility a film of the show being made. Thunderbirds isnt known for any of the things you say you want it to feature, except for the tension built up re the rescuer and waiting to be rescued and the level of danger the characters need to be rescued from. A serious take on the show removes almost entirely the character the show is known for. Who gives a shit about the toll the job takes on the Tracey family? They are rich layabouts who live on an island and hang out doing nothing much until the call comes for them to rescue someone in their brightly coloured flying machines. The show was never more than that. A serious take on the aforesaid scenario would require the characters to not be who they were in the show and the film to not actually be what the show actually was: about incredibly dangerous situations people need to be rescued from with nobody able to do this but a family of playboy types who live on an island. Play it serious and you have to ditch how the show looks and feels and create character interaction of the kind the show never contained. Good luck with that sort of thing film making personages if that is your angle.

edit: so it will be a tv series not a film. Ah well. It is gonna suck then. For the same reasons i suggested a film would, only writ larger, if it is played straight.

Marzipan1 -> Machines and Music (5/2/2013 7:18:50 PM)

The producers of the 2004 movie did not understand two crucial points:
1. The machines were the stars, and the long sequences showing their workings were the best bits for a ten year old boy
2. The original music, both the theme and the incidental music, were a key element of the programmes.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI