I Give It A Year (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> I Give It A Year (4/2/2013 1:25:08 PM)

Post your comments on this article

Indio -> (4/2/2013 1:25:08 PM)

Not that great - Stephen Merchant gets most of the funny lines and he's only in the film for 5 minutes or so. There are long stretches where you find yourself forcing a smile rather than actually laughing at whats going on.

As the Empire review says, it's hard to care about any of the characters, and the reasons we're given for them wanting to break up (would you really want a divorce because your husbands at home all day (he's a writer after all) and stuffs the rubbish down rather than empties the bin?) are sketchy to say the least - Simon Bakers varnish magnate (?) is so bland and non-descript it's hard to see why Byrnes character would get all in a flutter about him apart from maybe getting excited about a commission cheque from her job.

Evil_Bob -> RE: (5/2/2013 12:15:19 AM)

Whereabouts in this review does it say "A sharp smart comedy with huge laughs" like it says in the trailer that Empire said?

Indio -> RE: RE: (6/2/2013 11:20:41 PM)

And Claudia Winkleman loved it - what more reason do you need to give this a miss?

tysmuse -> Agree (10/2/2013 5:17:44 PM)

Rafe's character is too much of a cliche asshole. Merchant is both underused and not-all-that-funny. Byrne is fine, as always. But if it wasn't for my favourite comedian ever in a great early cameo, I probably would have knocked a star off.

Professor Dent -> RE: Agree (11/2/2013 9:55:10 PM)

This really looks like every British film that sent the British film industry down the pan. Bring back Richard Curtis, like him or loathe him he knew how to pull it together and come up with a product.

TheMightyBlackout -> Pffft. (11/2/2013 11:29:06 PM)

It's better than the trailer, but still not good quite enough to be its own film.
Some great set-pieces, but its humour is stymied by All The Whining™

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: Agree (11/2/2013 11:50:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: tysmuse

Rafe's character is too much of a cliche asshole. Merchant is both underused and not-all-that-funny. Byrne is fine, as always. But if it wasn't for my favourite comedian ever in a great early cameo, I probably would have knocked a star off.

No surprises there then.

paulyboy -> RE: Agree (12/2/2013 10:36:58 AM)

I thought it was rather amusing, seen with a decent crowd it's quite a hoot.

They should hand out cushions to hide behind whilst watching it though, it's excruciatingly embarassing to watch at points, the digital photo-frame (I really could see that happening in real life!) scene had me cowering behind my knees practically.

3/5

moviebuff73 -> RE: I Give It A Year (19/8/2013 8:30:26 PM)

Good movie but Stephen merchant steals the show, his character is so inappropriate it's hilarious.

chang -> RE: I Give It A Year (31/12/2013 12:15:31 PM)

There's some very funny stuff on the margins, but overall it's pretty weak.

NCC1701A -> RE: I Give It A Year (8/4/2014 4:19:14 PM)

Watched this a couple of nights ago really hated it not funny at all.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
3.222656E-02