Cloud Atlas (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Stephen Munro -> Cloud Atlas (29/1/2013 12:32:36 AM)

NO SPOLIERS**** I was fortunate enough to see this movie last week, and with some bad press coming from the US  ahead of its much delayed UK release of the 22nd Feb, I have to say only Roger Ebert has got it spot on with his review on the Chicago Sun Times. Ian's review in March Empire is good ( but please can I suggest not reading it till after you have seen the movie ) The four stars given on the Empire review is broadly fair, but this is one of those ocassions when I wish you where able to give a half point for sheer scale and ambition ( or even the superb soundtrack ) It's a breathtaking movie and it challenges the audience in ways that no other "mainstream” movie ( if I can call it that ) has ever done before. You can let it wash over you but I wouldn't recommend it. I was concerned about the use of actors playing multi characters, but to my suprise even that works in reinforcing the message of reaccuring souls through the ages. Dive in to all its weird and wonderful complexity and enjoy the ride. I think what the Trio have achieve with this movie is nothing short of a miracle. It will divide many no doubt, UK critics will be split  (the Daily Mail will probably pander to its readers and say it's not very good )  and some movie punters going to see that those guys from Forest Gump and Four Weddings... will come out wondering watch they just watched, there is very little middle ground.  I want everyone to appriciate this movie for what it is; challenging, visionary, daring, gorgeous and complex not what it isn't; confusing, but I have a feeling that's not going to happen. I sence it will become that unfortunate metaphor  "a Cult Classic". I hope that the majority of people using this forum will appreciate this movie and I looking forward to the opinions being posted ( both postive and negative ) more eloquent than mine over the next 5-6 weeks.

AxlReznor -> RE: Cloud Atlas (29/1/2013 12:52:48 PM)

Been looking forward to this film since I saw the trailer. Have since read the book in anticipation, so hopefully I won't be as confused as a lot of people apparently were.
Even if people don't like it, I think they should give it the credit it deserve for being different to everything else that's been coming out recently.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI