Flight (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> Flight (28/1/2013 10:59:29 AM)

Post your comments on this article

Hippolyte -> Eh? (28/1/2013 10:59:29 AM)

Before I read this,I actually was thinking of all the people who complain about spoilers when reading the reviews and sometimes think they're nit picking, then reading this through I thought it must be a bit of a joke since there is no way the reviewer would/ should give away as many plot points as that. Come on why all the thank god JJ Abrams/ Chris Nolan is gonna shroud things in secrecy cack when the review almost gives us the script, or at least the parts of the script that we might enjoy???

lelandmeeks -> well said Hippolyte...idiots! (28/1/2013 8:00:56 PM)

I agree with everything you said about them SPOILING SO MANY FILMS with their childish & often vomitus reviews. Their (in this ase Hewitt's) complete lack of ability to carve out an intelligent review is often mind boggling. STOP SPOILING OUR FILMS. In the past I have learned the hard way NOT to read their reviews UNTIL I've seen the film. Often I'm left aghast at seeing what they've included in the review.

England4Me -> Hippolyte is Right!!! (29/1/2013 6:00:10 PM)

Yes Hippolyte - I've simply stopped reading reviews until I've seen films now as it seems critics can't review films without giving away the best bits any more - Its almost as annoying as the trailers studios insist on releasing which give away every single plot twist, dramatic moment or funny joke in a film - which incidentally someone at Empire wrote a very good blog on.

I'm all for making references to interesting or funny party of the story - but telling the viewer exactly what they're going to see before they've even seen the film is too much of a give away and robs the viewer of the joy of discovery for themselves. Incidentally the scene where !!! SPOILER ALERT !!! Whip is given the hangover cure to end all hangover cures !!! SPOILER ALERT ENDS !!! is also one of my favourite movie moments of this year - but for any reader that hadn't seen the film, it'll now be blunted by the fact they've heard about it before. Much like someone hearing a great joke for the second time - it's still funny, but lacks the hilarity of when it was told the first time.

In fairness to Chris Hewitt - he's by no means the only one that does this - it's a media wide problem, and in a way I can kind of understand. It's definitely easier to make reference to something tangible than to explain to a reader why something is so funny without telling them exactly what happens, but if it was easy - everyone would do it. Please Empire - be better than the rest!

Great film though, Denzel owns his Character and John Goodman brings the scene he's in to life every time he's on screen.

petethejakey -> I agree with these comments (30/1/2013 3:19:42 PM)

I'm giving the film 5 stars out of pity. This movie has now been completely ruined by Empire going through each plot point, revelation and even soundtrack and camera angle descriptions in their "review".

The only thing they didn't give away is the ending, but who cares anymore?

And Beowulf wasn't really for kids, was it?

danielthompson99 -> Full review = warning spoilers ! (31/1/2013 10:49:33 AM)

There is a button you have to press called "Read full empire review".

It's like you are blaming someone else for shooting yourself in the foot.

elab49 -> RE: Full review = warning spoilers ! (31/1/2013 11:36:35 AM)

While I don't agree here - the trailer basically shows the shots/points made re the flight in the review and the trailer is generally seen as fair game - could we ask that you raise your issues with Empire reviews in this thread please

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2992613&mpage=1&key=spoilers&NID=0#2992613

or one similar and leave this one for people who wish to discuss the film? Thank you [:)]

paulyboy -> RE: Flight (31/1/2013 2:50:32 PM)

I have this on US Blu-Ray, one of the more severe release date balls ups of recent years.

It's a great film, with nice performances and one of the most genuinely intense sequences I've ever seen commited to celluloid, or digitally as it were.

It's a genuine pleasure to see Zemeckis back doing live action, he's been farting around in motion capture land for far too long.

4/5

P.S

As for the spoiler accusations of the Empire review, they're not without merit to be fair. It's hard for me to describe why exactly, but lets just say that one scene that's discussed in particular isn't far from the films end. You could argue that anyone with prior knowlegde of the review will know where the film is heading, purely by virtue of the fact that scene hasn't occured yet. It's not a deal breaker spoiler, but I do think it's ruined one of the more intense "will he/won't he" moments in the film.

spamandham -> RE: Flight (31/1/2013 7:16:10 PM)

Traditionally Russian pilots would swig some vodka 'for luck' before take off. NBD.

elab49 -> RE: Flight (31/1/2013 8:59:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulyboy

I have this on US Blu-Ray, one of the more severe release date balls ups of recent years.

It's a great film, with nice performances and one of the most genuinely intense sequences I've ever seen commited to celluloid, or digitally as it were.

It's a genuine pleasure to see Zemeckis back doing live action, he's been farting around in motion capture land for far too long.

4/5

P.S

As for the spoiler accusations of the Empire review, they're not without merit to be fair. It's hard for me to describe why exactly, but lets just say that one scene that's discussed in particular isn't far from the films end. You could argue that anyone with prior knowlegde of the review will know where the film is heading, purely by virtue of the fact that scene hasn't occured yet. It's not a deal breaker spoiler, but I do think it's ruined one of the more intense "will he/won't he" moments in the film.

Amazon have that as a pre-order for 5th Feb?

paulyboy -> RE: Flight (31/1/2013 9:47:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Amazon have that as a pre-order for 5th Feb?

It's been shipping from several importers for well over a week now, they always ship up to two weeks in advance in some cases.

elab49 -> RE: Flight (1/2/2013 12:32:00 AM)

Is that a site like Movietyme? 

Phubbs -> RE: Flight (1/2/2013 1:30:05 AM)

Flight

A serious drama for Zemeckis this time and you'd think that might sound a bit dodgy, but its not!. I must admit to being really quite mistaken about the premise here, I kind thought this was some kind of in-flight disaster flick. I thought the whole film was on-board an airliner, some kind of long haul thriller, so totally wrong there.

As it turns out the film is about a veteran pilot played by Washington who is a secret alcoholic and casual drug user. Unfortunately this 'top gun' pilot of passenger flights has the incredible bad luck of having his latest flight fall apart on him and go down. The main crux of the story being he just happened to be high and nicely drunk at the time. Yeeeah the suits are gonna have a field day with that sunshine, if it ain't safe don't do it and that's gonna equal some major retraining meladdo.

So this kicks off a long emotional rollercoaster as Washington's character must fight to prove the plane was damaged from the get go and his 'issue' had nothing to do with it. An 'act of God'.

Now this might sound rather drab but its actually really intriguing to see how this modern age works with all its health n safety nonsense. I could say its like a witch hunt of sorts really, the bottom line being despite the fact the plane was in bad shape and fell apart due to bad maintenance means nothing because of one fact, the pilot had been drinking. The word scapegoat arises.

This is the main focus of the film and it rings many bells within the real world because this is what its actually like. The plane could of been struck by lighting and gone down, completely an 'act of God' by which no one could avoid. But if the pilot turns out to have a negative drugs n alcohol test...he's screwed!. The airline companies, safety boards/regulators, police...everyone will be on your ass due to that test result, they will want someone to hang for it and that test result will take the centre stage.

This film is very good at showing how frustrating/stressful this scenario can be for someone (if you've worked in public transport of any kind you will relate BIGTIME!), of course the drama is slightly more exaggerated for film purposes. Washington is like Daniel Day-Lewis, you have an epic drama, you hire one of these guys, you really can't go wrong and I don't even need to say anymore on the matter.

Is John Goodman in everything now!? again he pops up here as Washington's drug dealing buddy. I must say I didn't really like this aspect of the story, this character, as it just seemed too Hollywood. Without trying to give much away...the finale where Washington's character is wasted (again) and they need to get him together was ridiculous. Yes of course its artistic license being a film and not real but really? would a lawyer and top union rep really actually assist this guy after all they've done when he goes and gets wasted AGAIN!. On top of that they actually pay for him to take cocaine to 'perk him up' as it were, coffee not being strong enough.

Next minute he's out the door shades on ready to take on the courts. This whole sequence ruined the film for me as its completely unrealistic (this is suppose to be a serious film) and it shows Washington's character hasn't learnt a thing, it frustrates you. But I guess it lines up the story for the 'down to earth with a bump' finish for Washington's character.

The whole plot is frustrating really, if you know the transport field especially. The ending stings and you feel the emotion Washington's character must feel. He saved the plane, 96 out of 102 folk on-board, its proven beyond a doubt, faulty mechanics and poor maintenance, his skills were unmatched and he saved the day. But alas! one small test that doesn't really mean anything (in this case) is what everyone hooks onto, oh the agony!!.

Definitely a surprise as it starts out rather dull but really gets a hold of you once we are airborne. The whole film doesn't feel like a product of Zemeckis a tall, kudos Sir. The basic premise of watching a character go through hell, the ups and downs, is nothing really new but I latched onto this, I could relate, I could feel his pain and anger. So for me this film really struck home and had me glued to the screen. Whether everyone will be the same I dunno but its well worth the watch despite a pretty uninspiring film title.

paulyboy -> RE: Flight (1/2/2013 7:44:16 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Is that a site like Movietyme? 

Yep, although they seem to be a bit slow of late. DVDWorldUSA have been shipping it since last week.

stu1980 -> Unexpected *spoilers* (2/2/2013 5:07:21 PM)

Very good film! I was expecting it to be more about the plane and the crash but surprised how it panned out and Denzel was awesome as always. John Goodman Funny as hell great casting all round and very acurate apart from the holywood ending with the problems he has. If that was real life he would have let the stewardess take the rap and drank himself to death. But hey ho to be expected.

bretty -> Crashing and burning (2/2/2013 8:36:14 PM)

A compelling if uncomfortable film. It blends the central theme of the crash with a story of addiction and deceipt, it is a serious film and Washington is deserving of his nomination.

TheMightyBlackout -> Harder work than the trailer suggests... (3/2/2013 6:03:41 PM)

...but probably not as hard as it should be.

The pacing's uneven, the secondary characters are picked up and put down like a spoiled child's toys, and Washington does his best (successfully so) to keep his character from being too likeable.
But it is good. It's just about 25 minutes too long.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Harder work than the trailer suggests... (3/2/2013 6:08:36 PM)

The on the nose music used in this film is HILARIOUS.

n13roy -> Flying High...... (7/2/2013 9:51:17 PM)

Overall, a very good Film, and a stunning performance by Denzel Washington, although a little bit predictable at times, with some strange characters throw into the mix at times, this Film is a good one to see in the Cinema, with some fantastic scenes from the cockpit, and the actual crash sequence itself was totally scary IMHO.......

CeejSays -> RE: Flying High...... (7/2/2013 10:22:21 PM)

Review: A film that turned out to bear little resemblance to the one suggested in the trailer, Flight is a rich, engrossing, skillfully-acted character study of a man battling his demons and addictions. Granted, the plane crash is incredibly tense and shockingly breathtaking in its realism, but this simply acts as a backdrop to Denzel's terrific, moving portrayal of 'Whip' Whitaker. The supporting cast do a creditable job, particularly Goodman, who absolutely steals every scene he's in. If you want to see a disaster movie, then go see the Impossible. But if you want a powerful, moving, character-based story, Flight is most definitely for you.

Rating: 8.5/10

Ramone87 -> FLYING HIGH,....!!! (15/2/2013 10:14:39 PM)

A pretty decent drama from director Robert Zemeckis!!

After an intense sequence involving airline pilot whip whitaker who lands a malfunctioning jet through a nasty storm you know your in for a turbulant ride....Denzel Washington does a great job of a troubled man struggling to come to terms with his now 'hero' status and alchoholism.

As time reveals he was not exactly sobre when preforming his 'miracle' upside down monouvere to save nearly all his passengers and crew and has to come to terms with not only his drinking problem but his anguish and guilt over the incident....so everyone get's alienated by it,...be it everyone he encounters from friends, to family to anyone else he encounters,...

Along for the ride are other good supporting cast members, Don Cheadle as straight down the line Defence Attorney Hugh with Bruce Greenwood who get most the flack from Whips dark alchoholic moods through to cocaine addict Ellen played by Melissa Leo who becomes a comfort for Whip during and leading upto his sensational court room confession,...it's riveting and honestly told with fine direction from veteran Zemeckis.

Also note worthy is John Goodmans drug dealer ' ' who comes to Whips aid in more ways than one!! But most note worthy here is Washington, great to watch as a man spiralling from drink, guilt, anger to shame and finally humilty and a sense of duty to himself to see his life through,...a flight worth taking!!

WATCH it!!!

Conboy -> {Duplicate} (19/3/2013 2:46:45 AM)

{Duplicate} Sorry

Conboy -> Flight (19/3/2013 2:46:58 AM)

The highlight of the new film by Robert Zemeckis occurs within the first 25 minutes. A plane suddenly goes into an uncontrolled dive. It’s a master class of direction, editing and performance. It’s about ten minutes of bare knuckled thrills. Zemeckis has directed these types of scenes before in Castaway and displays his expertise here.

Zemeckis has not made an adult film for over a decade. He’s had an illustrious career from Back to the Future to Forest Gump to Castaway and in recent history The Polar Express and Beowulf his foray into motion capture filmmaking.

The opening scenes announce Flight as an adult film. Full frontal nudity, cocaine and heroin use feature heavily. Whip (Washington) drinks from anear empty bottle of beer, snorts cocaine, puts on his uniform and leaves for his 9am flight to Atlanta. Joe Cocker’s ‘Feelin Alright’ plays in the background. At this point a woman named Nicole (Reilly) is introduced, she’s leaving a rundown hotel about to go to a worse hotel and by the marks on her arms she’s a junkie. Reilly seems an odd choice to play a drug addict and as the film progresses the character and performance become more problematic. Tattoos on her fingers do not necessarily make an authentic performance.

The writer here is John Gantins whose previous work was the underwhelming Reel Steel. His work here is stronger more mature but not fully realised and in the end the mechanisms of the plot are surprisingly predictable. But the film has enough tricks in its arsenal to disguise what it’s really about for much of its length. A road to ruin with a hope of redemption and gods truth will set you free.

Washington is the films ace card. From the first scenes we see Whip as a seriously flawed character. It’s not known whether the actor has had first-hand experience with addiction but he is completely authentic. As he introduces himself to the passengers on the flight he secretly pours

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI