Michael Winner dies (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics

Sinatra -> Michael Winner dies (21/1/2013 2:33:16 PM)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21123532

SwozTheRevenge -> RE: Michael Winner dies (21/1/2013 2:37:39 PM)

The Sentinel is a big, big favourite of mine. Love Death Wish 1-3 too. RIP

DancingClown -> RE: Michael Winner dies (21/1/2013 2:44:39 PM)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS5S2Dio2_Y&feature=youtu.be

emogeek -> RE: Michael Winner dies (21/1/2013 2:54:12 PM)

BBC article doesn't (yet) mention the fact that the Police Memorial Trust was his brainchild.

Definitely a "marmite" kind of person, but the world will be a less interesting place without him.

RIP

UTB -> RE: Michael Winner dies (21/1/2013 2:59:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: emogeek

Definitely a "marmite" kind of person, but the world will be a less interesting place without him.

Agreed. What a character. RIP.

jonson -> RE: Michael Winner dies (21/1/2013 3:01:41 PM)

RIP.
I liked Michael Winner to be honest, I liked his fuck you attitude, the fact he re-mortgaged his house every year so he could take 6 figure Christmas holidays in Barbados and also he was most famous for Death Wish, one of those late night BBC2 films that kept me entertained as a youngster.
I did also laugh when he turned down an honour many years ago(CBE or OBE, can't remember which) by claiming you get that for cleaning the toilets at King's Cross station [:D]

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Michael Winner dies (21/1/2013 3:08:20 PM)

"You believe in Jesus?"
"YES"
"Well, you're gona meet him!"

BANG

I mean, what more do you need for a late night, post pub movie?

RIP

Nexus Wookie -> RE: Michael Winner dies (21/1/2013 3:27:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: emogeek

BBC article doesn't (yet) mention the fact that the Police Memorial Trust was his brainchild.

RIP

Yeah couldn't agree more. He is, or was the human equivalent of Marmite!

SwozTheRevenge -> RE: Michael Winner dies (21/1/2013 4:59:08 PM)

Weirdly, that's what they're putting on his gravestone.

Nexus Wookie -> RE: Michael Winner dies (21/1/2013 5:48:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SwozTheRevenge

Weirdly, that's what they're putting on his gravestone.

What? Seriously? Wow. Thats....something! [:D]

NadaPlissken -> RE: Michael Winner dies (21/1/2013 6:51:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS5S2Dio2_Y&feature=youtu.be

I thought that was going to be the "Calm Down Dear" techno remix, and was pleasantly surprised. Winner wasn't my favourite person but as mentioned, he wasn't afraid to give people a good verbal slapping and for that I always had a hesitant admiration for him. We've lost a great character.

horribleives -> RE: Michael Winner dies (22/1/2013 3:21:46 PM)

His swansong Parting Shots is possibly the most deliriously bad, insanely enjoyable carcrash ever.

sharkboy -> RE: Michael Winner dies (22/1/2013 3:48:34 PM)

I've a friend who had cause to call on him a few times as one of his sales clients, and he described him as a very generous and affable person with the occasional eccentricity, but one who didn't suffer fools gladly.  Apparently, the first time he visited Winner's house, he discovered that he had a butler allocated to each floor, and one was instructed to fetch my friend a bottle of water "but not that cheap shit we give the others" [:D]

While never a fan of his movies, I do recall that he had the good grace to find the humour in his meeting with the infamous Dennis Pennis -

"Michael, is it true that your house in London has 17 toilets in it?"
"Why yes, it is" 
"So would you say you produce more shit than anyone else in the British Film Industry?"

[:D] RIP to a true marmite character

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI