Do your favourite filmmakers taste affect yours? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

giggity -> Do your favourite filmmakers taste affect yours? (11/1/2013 5:07:19 AM)

I was wondering if anyone has ever given a film they wouldnt usually try due to a filmmaker they like, recommending it?
For example, if it wasn't for Edgar Wright recommending Danger Diabolik and Phantom of the Paradise because they influenced him while making scott pilgrim I doubt I would have ever watched those films but I did and I really enjoyed them.

Another topic is has there been a film that you didn't really enjoy that you gave a second chance after hearing a filmmaker you love say they enjoyed it?

I can't remember anything right now involving me and doing that but slightly related is I really enjoyed Dark Knight Rises and after reading a lot of internet comments slating it, it got me a bit down that it wasnt enjoyed as much as previous films but then I read an interview with one of my favourite filmmakers Paul Thomas Anderson and he described the nolan bat films as "the meeting of the highest level of artistic skill & a kind of commerciality and appeal to a wide range of people which is what anybody would want. It's kind of unparalleled actually" it made me feel good that someone who I admire a lot felt the same way about films that i loved as i did.

how about you?

AxlReznor -> RE: Do your favourite filmmakers taste affect yours? (11/1/2013 9:41:17 AM)

Nope... can't stand the awful pile of crap that is On Her Majesty's Secret Service, but it's my favourite filmmakers' favourite Bond film. Just goes to show, you can't trust anyone. [:D]

giggity -> RE: Do your favourite filmmakers taste affect yours? (11/1/2013 10:21:52 AM)

which director is that?

AxlReznor -> RE: Do your favourite filmmakers taste affect yours? (11/1/2013 10:24:39 AM)

That'd be Christopher Nolan.

filmburner30 -> RE: Do your favourite filmmakers taste affect yours? (11/1/2013 10:27:01 AM)

I follow Martin Scorsese's nose for a good film and its come up trumps numerous times including

Bigger Than Life - Nicholas Ray 1956

Faces -John Casssavetes 1968

Murder by Contract - Irving Lerner 1958

Two Weeks in Another Town -Vincete Minelli 1962

giggity -> RE: Do your favourite filmmakers taste affect yours? (11/1/2013 11:24:57 AM)

Yeah Scorsese seems to bleed film, not only does he have good taste he's also pretty much seen every film that comes out. I read an interview once with him where he talked about watching 'Colin' the British zombie film that was made for 45!

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Do your favourite filmmakers taste affect yours? (11/1/2013 3:50:36 PM)

Kubrick really, really liked The Jerk.

I do too, but it's an interesting pairing. Especially when you know that at one point, Eyes Wide Shut was going to be a sex comedy starring Steve Martin.

Imagine that while you eat your coco pops.

UTB -> RE: Do your favourite filmmakers taste affect yours? (11/1/2013 4:15:58 PM)

Slightly off topic - did anyone read the Q&A with Kubrick's daughter and (i think) grandson? One of the questions was what movies did he like and the answer was (unsurprisingly) everything. Apparently he recommended White Men Can't Jump to his daughter. [:D]

Whistler -> RE: Do your favourite filmmakers taste affect yours? (12/1/2013 1:28:41 PM)

In answer to the title of the thread, I'll take recommendations from them but I don't change my opinions to match them. For example, in Richard Schickel's book Conversations With Scorsese (clicky, it's a great book), Scorsese discusses his love for The Searchers in great detail. I decided to go out and buy a copy based on his recommendation, and while I think it's a perfectly decent film, I certainly don't think it's a masterpiece. There are many better westerns out there. Scorsese is one of my most revered and dependable filmmakers, but I'm not going to pretend I loved The Searchers as much as he did because it will somehow make us buddies.

(Although if it did make us buddies I probably would [:D])

Moorish -> RE: Do your favourite filmmakers taste affect yours? (13/1/2013 5:02:38 PM)

Tarantino is one of my favourite directors. Probably #5. And I can't stand Asian cinema. So I'd say no on that basis :-)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
3.027344E-02