Quartet (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> Quartet (1/1/2013 10:30:11 AM)

Post your comments on this article

BurguretBadger -> (1/1/2013 10:30:11 AM)

A wonderful, comedy-drama set at a palatial British old peoples home dedicated to retired musicians. Cast by the hugely talented Lucy Bevan, this is a triumph for Dustin Hoffman in his directorial debut. A beautiful mix of love and tragedy played by the most talented veterans of stage, screen and orchestra.
All is harmonious until famous diva, Jean (Maggie Smith) arrives, much to the shock of her former husband, Reginald (Tom Courtenay) and former operatic partners played by Billy Connolly and Pauline Collins.
Micheal Gambon plays a perfect, cantakerous chairman of the annual review, a show provides funding to keep the home operating; under the watchful eye of the resident doctor,( Sheridan Smith). Connolly's Wilf and his flirtatious relationship with the doctor, provides plenty of light laughs. Collins adds a heart rending performance as the cracks of dementia take their toll on her memory. All of which provide the support for Smith's, oscar worthy, performance as she and Courtenay hobble towards a potential reconciliation.
Quartet will make you laugh and cry. It knocks the support stockings off the Marigold Hotel!

TheMightyBlackout -> A choppy, stilted mess. (6/1/2013 10:43:38 PM)

Wow. That second act couldn't drag more if it wore a gold lamé dress, false lashes and started singing Hey Big Spender to a stag party.

Clingfilm -> RE: (7/1/2013 7:33:41 PM)

The above review/comment by BurguretBadger sounds extremely fake! First and only post, no personal details, glowing review... hmm.

rougier -> Truly Awful !!! (16/1/2013 8:40:43 PM)

Fans of Downton will enjoy this..your having a laugh, which is more than I was enduring this drawn out dross. The demographic in the cinema set the scene, I actually felt like I was in an old folks home watching the bloody thing. If you really want a laugh stay for the credits amongst the endless then and now images and names of operatic legends (I use the term loosely) is Andrew Sachs with 'Fawlty Towers 1975-79' - priceless - best and only laugh I had all night!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
1.953125E-02