The Impossible (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> The Impossible (1/1/2013 9:45:45 AM)

Post your comments on this article

darktrain -> sounds interesting (1/1/2013 9:45:45 AM)

Heard really good things about this movie and the performances within..review has now swayed me to go see this as soon as possible.

BelovedAunt -> RE: sounds interesting (3/1/2013 3:03:40 PM)

Saw this last night and arrived so late that the only option left was the front row - felt like free IMAX so might go for that again. Anyways the film was fantastic and is highly recommended - if you can keep dry eyes throughout you're a better man than me. Poor Naomi Watts has another role where she really goes through the wringer - between this, 21 Grams and Funny Games she's had some really emotionally demanding parts. McGregor is also better than I expected, keeping things simple. A good first film of 2013.

n13roy -> Many Waves of Emotions all round...... (3/1/2013 5:07:37 PM)

Just come back from the Cinema after watching the " The Imposssible " and what a roller-coaster of emotions you go through watching this Film, hardly a dry eye in the house at times, but overall its a real heart warming story of human endurance, and overcoming almost impossible odds ( hence the title I suppose ) to survive. Would I recommend it, well I think it all depends on your outlook on life I suppose. I really enjoyed it, and so did my wife, but a lot of people did actually walk out of this Film today, not quite sure why though.........

Whistler -> (5/1/2013 11:32:45 PM)

Powerful and moving, even if the script wavers at times.

Dannybohy -> RE: (7/1/2013 9:12:30 AM)

Highly recommend this movie! Very powerful and moving, my wife was a wreck afterwards. Also more frightening than any horror you will see this year. Naomi Watts deserves to be up for the Oscars along with Ewan McGregor and especially the young actor who plays the oldest son. Great start to my 2013 viewing!

Qwerty Norris -> RE: RE: (8/1/2013 4:35:50 PM)

Very hard to fault the production design & young Holland is absolutely fantastic, yet it suffers from that inherent problem of trying to dramatise & extend the commercial viability of a real life tragedy which for me compromised the depiction. Some plot contrivances which can only exist in the world of mainstream cinema (the hospital scene near the end) and an overly manipulative score did nothing other than remove this viewer from the plight of the characters and reminded them that they were watching "a movie" rather than its perceived intention to sensitively portray a real-life story of a Spanish family (who for commercial reasons - are also anglofied). For it to have worked (for me anyway), it really needed a docu-like portrayal of events similarly used in the likes of United 93 or The Killing Fields, yet instead we'll have to make do with its Hollywood conformation for financial reasons - which are understandable,if a little disingenuous.

3/5

Normal Control -> Naomi Watts (8/1/2013 8:57:20 PM)

Does Naomi Watts go nude in this (she's usually an eager beaver onscreen)? If so, I may grab a hotdog and watch it.

Dannybohy -> RE: RE: (9/1/2013 8:54:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

Very hard to fault the production design & young Holland is absolutely fantastic, yet it suffers from that inherent problem of trying to dramatise & extend the commercial viability of a real life tragedy which for me compromised the depiction. Some plot contrivances which can only exist in the world of mainstream cinema (the hospital scene near the end) and an overly manipulative score did nothing other than remove this viewer from the plight of the characters and reminded them that they were watching "a movie" rather than its perceived intention to sensitively portray a real-life story of a Spanish family (who for commercial reasons - are also anglofied). For it to have worked (for me anyway), it really needed a docu-like portrayal of events similarly used in the likes of United 93 or The Killing Fields, yet instead we'll have to make do with its Hollywood conformation for financial reasons - which are understandable,if a little disingenuous.

3/5

[sm=sleep.gif]

Dannybohy -> RE: Naomi Watts (9/1/2013 8:54:52 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Normal Control

Does Naomi Watts go nude in this (she's usually an eager beaver onscreen)? If so, I may grab a hotdog and watch it.

You see her left boob!!

tftrman -> RE: RE: (9/1/2013 9:38:16 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

quote:

3/5

[sm=sleep.gif]

Obvious troll is obvious.

Qwerty Norris -> RE: RE: (9/1/2013 12:46:25 PM)

quote:

quote:

3/5

[sm=sleep.gif]

Ironically, I find your ill-informed Nolan bashing boring as well.

Dannybohy -> RE: RE: (9/1/2013 2:10:12 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

3/5

[sm=sleep.gif]

Ironically, I find your ill-informed Nolan bashing boring as well.

Boring, yes! but not ill-informed

Irony is great.

horribleives -> RE: RE: (9/1/2013 2:31:08 PM)

quote:

3/5

That's a shame - when I first read about it that's exactly the kind of thing I was expecting. The whole changing-the-nationality-of-the-family thing doesn't sit right with me either but I'm hoping it's not enough to marr what still sounds like a powerful film.

horribleives -> RE: RE: (9/1/2013 2:35:17 PM)

quote:

quote:

3/5

[sm=sleep.gif]

Aye, you won't get much change out of Dannybohy with reasoned comments like that - I think he prefers the 'I THINK THIS THIS FILM IS TERRIBLE AND ANYONE WHO LIKES IT IS AN IDIOT!' style of film criticism.

Dannybohy -> RE: RE: (9/1/2013 2:41:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

quote:

3/5

[sm=sleep.gif]

Aye, you won't get much change out of Dannybohy with reasoned comments like that - I think he prefers the 'I THINK THIS THIS FILM IS TERRIBLE AND ANYONE WHO LIKES IT IS AN IDIOT!' style of film criticism.

Irony is really great

Qwerty Norris -> RE: RE: (9/1/2013 3:55:51 PM)

quote:

Boring, yes! but not ill-informed

You mean you've actually presented a coherent case to why you personally don't like his stuff as opposed to simply lampoon others for digging his work?

Good for you...

Qwerty Norris -> RE: RE: (9/1/2013 4:02:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

That's a shame - when I first read about it that's exactly the kind of thing I was expecting. The whole changing-the-nationality-of-the-family thing doesn't sit right with me either but I'm hoping it's not enough to marr what still sounds like a powerful film.

In fairness, it's really down to you. A close friend of mine based in Spain for example was profoundly moved by it - despite its Hollywood tropes and its fundamental changes to the Spanish family the story bases itself on. In many ways it's still very affecting, it's just that for me I need depictions of real life tragedies to not conform itself to the tropes of a commercial film - which I feel this does.

GCH -> RE: RE: (10/1/2013 9:41:12 AM)

I have to agree with this view of the film. It is technically astounding, but when you find yourself wondering 'how the hell did they do that?' whilst the film is still in progress you are clearly not engaging emotionally with the characters. This is because the script is a bit clunky, and some things that happen are not really understandable. There is also the point that you kind of know the end before you see the film.
Also, there is no real mention of the devastation to the local population, but then this isn't about them is it?
3/5

ajm1991 -> The Impossible (12/1/2013 2:55:35 PM)

'The Impossible' is a movie that must be watched with your family. Emotional moments are in heap where you realize how much important is the family for you. A movie that makes you to hug your loved ones !!
Detailed Review Here: http://www.filmwaves.in/2013/01/the-impossible.html

Hood_Man -> RE: The Impossible (13/1/2013 6:20:01 PM)

I agree with others who've said that the script wobbles a bit. I find it hard to believe that children that young would say some of the things they said.

Otherwise, an incredibly powerful film full of believable performances. Mcgregor's breakdown over the telephone broke my heart, and young Tom Holland displayed real vulnerability, especially when he saw the extent of his mothers injuries.

A heartbreaking film that, along with United 93, will go down as one of those excellent films that I never want to see again.

tysmuse -> waves of tears (28/1/2013 10:07:46 PM)

Sorry for the pun, but I was in floods of tears. Sooo moving. Thought Watts' Oscar nom is generous, especially since she spends most of the movie hospitalised. McGregor doesn't put a foot wrong. Most surprisingly, the move affecting scenes come from the film highlighting the wider effects of the disaster.

Super Hans -> RE: Naomi Watts (2/2/2013 6:10:27 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Normal Control

You see her left boob!!

Yes, we get the 'brief nudity' as described by the BBFC, but I'd be lying if I said it was in the most erotic of contexts![:D]

We just got back from watching this - we don't get to the cinema a huge amount nowadays but my wife wanted to watch this (fair enough as it's normally something I want to see that we watch!).

Despite not usually being one for these kind of emotional onslaught films, I have to say it was a very good film and well acted by all involved. It did a very effective job of showing how much destruction the tsunami caused and the scenes following the characters as it was happening were very tense and pretty scary. Being a 12A, it doesn't dwell to much on the human injuries but there are certainly enough moment to make you wince. Really though it's about the experiences and journey of that family, which it portrays very effectively.

Well worth a watch, but if you're a crier at films, make sure you take some tissues - I noticed a lot of teary folk in the busy screening we went to!

Biggus -> RE: Naomi Watts (16/2/2013 12:32:28 AM)

The Impossible is probably one of the most exhaustive cinema experiences Iíve ever had. It is a relentless emotional assault which leaves you equal parts drained and fulfilled.

The story centres on the Bennett family who arrive at a Thai coastal resort 2 days before the devastating Boxing Day tsunami hit and their subsequent separation and attempt to relocate each other following the disaster. Naomi Watts gives an outstanding physically gruelling performance as the familyís mother Maria for which she has been understandably nominated for an Oscar but this is by no means a one-person show. Ewan McGregor does his best acting work for years as the father Henry whose part, while not as physically battering, channels the overwhelming feeling of despair and desperation of seeking hope in an apparently hopeless situation. Of the three sons, it is Tom Holland as eldest child Lucas who carries much of the weight of the drama and he delivers an earnest performance of the like usually elicited by Steven Spielberg. We will almost certainly being seeing more from him in the future.

From a technical standpoint, the film is flawless. From the initial onslaught of the tidal wave to the depictions of its aftermath, we never feel anything other than directly in the midst of the catastrophe. How some of the footage was achieved without actually being there on that fateful day truly boggles the mind. The carnage, both human and environmental, caused by the wave is not skirted over and is used throughout the film to illustrate the magnitude of the tragedy and also to give the central characters a sense of perspective on their own plight. Scenes of the dead and other less fortunate victims serve as indications of the wider impact of the event and provide solemn reminders to the family throughout their journey of the veiled fortune they have.

When the film finished never have I heard such overwhelming silence from such a busy theatre. I think it was a silence borne of respect, shock, exhaustion and relief. Itís only January but Iíd be amazed if The Impossible does not appear in my top ten of 2013.

MovieGoodfellas -> Harrowing, emotional portrayal of a devastating event (14/4/2013 1:13:14 PM)

I finally watched the film.
Naomi Watts gives quite possibly her finest performances to date, portraying harrowing desperation, stubborn determination in the face of incredible pain and agony, and, ultimately, a sense of love and care despite her deteriorating state. True, she is bedridden for about half the film, but it is during this time where there are these small moments of tenderness and humility which undoubtedly makes Watts's performance one of the best of the year.

Clingfilm -> RE: Harrowing, emotional portrayal of a devastating event (18/5/2013 12:31:06 PM)

Over 200,000 people killed... but what makes it really tragic is that some Westerners were killed.

drews -> RE: Harrowing, emotional portrayal of a devastating event (19/5/2013 4:40:51 PM)

Watched this yesterday. Thought it was good. Excellent cast-even the child actors, which I can sometimes find annoying-are really good. And Naomi Watts really gets put through the shit.

June Tales -> Pain, bravery, hope and happiness (25/5/2013 9:13:17 AM)

This film was moving because we follow a story of family's fight in this tragedy as if we were with them. It's very realistic and certain scenes are really awful, especially concerning the mother's injuries. Spectacular lets its place to emotions : sadness, happiness, hope, pain... OK some scenes are unbelievable in real life - the last part of the movie - but that is not the most important. This movie shows a family who did the impossible thanks to their faith, hope, will and solidarity of unknown persons. I think that is what should be retained.

hampstead bandit -> RE: Pain, bravery, hope and happiness (5/6/2013 10:43:33 PM)

wanted to watch this film for a long time, the home rental release dates got pushed back and back for months, even my clued up local rental store did not have any good information on when it would finally get released

finally? we get to watch it. The first 1/3rd of the film was a stunning technical achievement depicting the horror of a tidal wave, and the brutality inflicted on anyone who got in its way!

but the other 2/3rds of the film seemed to reduce, to a glorified version of BBC "Casualty" with typical weak plot

we found it hard to relate to the characters or care about their fate, in the end they got to "go home" unlike the other poor sods (residents) left to fend for themselves in all that mess.

2/5

movienut707 -> "Close your eyes, think of something nice." (8/10/2013 3:41:06 PM)

It's overly sympathetic at times and the story, although true, suffers from a smidgen of convenient intervention, but all flaws aside, The Impossible is an involving, deeply felt
and distressing human drama.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI