How Come There are No Sci-Fi Films for Kids Nowadays? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

JonnyFave -> How Come There are No Sci-Fi Films for Kids Nowadays? (31/12/2012 10:05:29 AM)

I'm not talking about Fantasy or Superhero films. But films with spaceships and aliens that have KIDS as the protaganists.

Flight of the Navigator was on TV last night, and I remember being a kid and LOVING that film. A film that I adored even more as a child was The Explorers. I just thought it was the coolest idea being able to build a spaceship with your friends.

How come these kind of films aren't being made any more?

Deviation -> RE: How Come There are No Sci-Fi Films for Kids Nowadays? (31/12/2012 3:58:22 PM)

After Earth is coming out soon.

elab49 -> RE: How Come There are No Sci-Fi Films for Kids Nowadays? (31/12/2012 4:06:39 PM)

I think there is more of a tendency to fantasy or SF animation at the moment, but you still got eg the Witch Mountain remake which was kids aimed SF. And there are some foreign ones - I think there's been a couple of big European ones in the last few years, they've just not made it over here.

rich -> RE: How Come There are No Sci-Fi Films for Kids Nowadays? (31/12/2012 10:55:16 PM)

Sign of the times I guess... E.T. was a big influence on the 80s in sci-fi. What is there recently in that vein?

Mister Coe -> RE: How Come There are No Sci-Fi Films for Kids Nowadays? (31/12/2012 11:28:20 PM)

I agree with the OP. Where's the current equivalent of LABYRINTH or THE GOONIES?

DancingClown -> RE: How Come There are No Sci-Fi Films for Kids Nowadays? (31/12/2012 11:34:15 PM)

Super 8 was a great homage to those films.

musht -> RE: How Come There are No Sci-Fi Films for Kids Nowadays? (1/1/2013 1:57:13 AM)

Super 8 and Wall-E are the only ones I can think of but they are both fantastic films

sanchia -> RE: How Come There are No Sci-Fi Films for Kids Nowadays? (1/1/2013 9:18:32 AM)

I think Mars Need Moms is the last big one which was out there and after what happened to that film I get the impression film makers got scared off by the genre in a big budget way.

directorscut -> RE: How Come There are No Sci-Fi Films for Kids Nowadays? (1/1/2013 10:21:41 PM)

Super 8 is unfortunately much too intense for kids.

musht -> RE: How Come There are No Sci-Fi Films for Kids Nowadays? (2/1/2013 12:35:23 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

I'd have to disagree. The BBFC does indeed give it a 12 rating because it "Contains one use of strong language, moderate threat and soft drug use".

I suppose it depends on what age group of kids this thread is referring to but certainly I think Super 8 would be suitable for kids as young as 7 (possibly 6) as long as they had a parent with them. The main leads are kids after all (between 12 and 13 I would say), I suppose it would be up to the parent though, and everyone's different.

rich -> RE: How Come There are No Sci-Fi Films for Kids Nowadays? (2/1/2013 1:15:29 AM)

quote:

And is rubbish

directorscut -> RE: How Come There are No Sci-Fi Films for Kids Nowadays? (2/1/2013 1:54:15 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

quote:

I'd have to disagree. The BBFC does indeed give it a 12 rating because it "Contains one use of strong language, moderate threat and soft drug use".

I suppose it depends on what age group of kids this thread is referring to but certainly I think Super 8 would be suitable for kids as young as 7 (possibly 6) as long as they had a parent with them. The main leads are kids after all (between 12 and 13 I would say), I suppose it would be up to the parent though, and everyone's different.

I like how you quote the BBFC's 12's rating as a counter-argument.

12 rated films are not for kids.

Some kids under 12 might not have a problem with Super 8 (although I certainly wouldn't show it to someone under-10 at least), but it is certainly not a kid's film. The target audience is clearly teenagers. Compare this to the kid's movies the OP was talking about like E.T. or Flight of the Navigator or D.A.R.Y.L. - it is far more intense, violent and horrific than any of those movies.

homersimpson_esq -> RE: How Come There are No Sci-Fi Films for Kids Nowadays? (2/1/2013 11:16:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

I agree with the OP. Where's the current equivalent of LABYRINTH or THE GOONIES?

Neither of those are SciFi... /frysquint

You had City of Ember a few years back. And one could argue that superhero films are SciFi - certainly the Avengers, Superman, X-Men and its spin offs. These are all science-fiction under the guise of comic books.

Titanm21 -> RE: How Come There are No Sci-Fi Films for Kids Nowadays? (2/1/2013 11:41:15 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

You had City of Ember a few years back. And one could argue that superhero films are SciFi - certainly the Avengers, Superman, X-Men and its spin offs. These are all science-fiction under the guise of comic books.

and none of the main characters are kids. I think thats the OPs point. The only thing close is The Amazing Spider-Man as he's a school kid (even though its an adult actor).

But there is no Child actors doing Sci-Fi as the main characters. With exception of the Spy Kids movies

Timon -> RE: How Come There are No Sci-Fi Films for Kids Nowadays? (2/1/2013 11:58:05 AM)

Well... Ender's Game is out this year.

So there's that.

musht -> RE: How Come There are No Sci-Fi Films for Kids Nowadays? (2/1/2013 4:26:19 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Some kids under 12 might not have a problem with Super 8 (although I certainly wouldn't show it to someone under-10 at least), but it is certainly not a kid's film. The target audience is clearly teenagers. Compare this to the kid's movies the OP was talking about like E.T. or Flight of the Navigator or D.A.R.Y.L. - it is far more intense, violent and horrific than any of those movies.

It's a guideline, not a rule. The HP films from Goblet of Fire onwards are all 12s as are the last two LotR films but I really wouldn't see a problem showing them to kids as young as 7. Kids are a lot more resilient than people give them credit for.

But I have no kids and am not exposed to them on a regular basis so I'm not basing this on personal experience, god knows if I ever do have kids I could completely change my mind.

homersimpson_esq -> RE: How Come There are No Sci-Fi Films for Kids Nowadays? (2/1/2013 4:37:15 PM)

quote:

The HP films from Goblet of Fire onwards are all 12s as are the last two LotR films but I really wouldn't see a problem showing them to kids as young as 7. Kids are a lot more resilient than people give them credit for.

My 7 yr old daughter, given free choice of films, wanted to watch the Lord of the Rings films again this past week. The only bit she didn't really like - scare-wise - was Shelob's scene. The rest of it she was consistently pointing out what was about to happen because she remembered it all from the first time she watched it.

I love my daughter. [:D]

directorscut -> RE: How Come There are No Sci-Fi Films for Kids Nowadays? (2/1/2013 5:45:51 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's a guideline, not a rule.
The HP films from Goblet of Fire onwards are all 12s as are the last two LotR films but I really wouldn't see a problem showing them to kids as young as 7. Kids are a lot more resilient than people give them credit for.

But I have no kids and am not exposed to them on a regular basis so I'm not basing this on personal experience, god knows if I ever do have kids I could completely change my mind.

I would say it ceases to be a guideline and becomes a rule when it becomes illegal to sell to people under the stated age.

musht -> RE: How Come There are No Sci-Fi Films for Kids Nowadays? (2/1/2013 8:18:21 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's a guideline, not a rule.

I would say it ceases to be a guideline and becomes a rule when it becomes illegal to sell to people under the stated age.

I will accept that point, because it is correct. But there's no law preventing parents from buying them and showing the to their kids if they think they can handle it, they just have to wait until the DVD release.

rich -> RE: How Come There are No Sci-Fi Films for Kids Nowadays? (3/1/2013 12:35:35 AM)

quote:

quote:

Yeah but don't have child stars in the lead like the OP wanted either .....what's the sci-fi equivilent to say the Harry Potter series?

homersimpson_esq -> RE: How Come There are No Sci-Fi Films for Kids Nowadays? (3/1/2013 10:06:25 AM)

I think there's some little SciFi film coming out in 2015 that is aimed at children. Star Battles, or something. It's not even the first in the series, it's like the seventh or something.

[sm=huh.gif]

rawlinson -> RE: How Come There are No Sci-Fi Films for Kids Nowadays? (3/1/2013 1:22:05 PM)

quote:

I will accept that point, because it is correct. But there's no law preventing parents from buying them and showing the to their kids if they think they can handle it, they just have to wait until the DVD release.

They don't. A parent can take a child to the cinema to see a 12 film if the kid is under 12.

From the BBFC

quote:

What does the 12A symbol mean?

12A means that anyone aged 12 or over can go and see the film unaccompanied. The A stands for 'accompanied' and 'advisory'. Children younger than 12 may see the film if they are accompanied by an adult (eg someone over the age of 18), who must watch the film with them.

What's the difference between 12 and 12A?

The 12 certificate is just for videos, DVDs and Blu-rays. 12A is for films at the cinema only.

DancingClown -> RE: How Come There are No Sci-Fi Films for Kids Nowadays? (3/1/2013 1:37:24 PM)

quote:

I think there's some little SciFi film coming out in 2015 that is aimed at children. Star Battles, or something. It's not even the first in the series, it's like the seventh or something.

[sm=huh.gif]

Oh, is that the one Darth Vader's going to be in?

Dannybohy -> RE: How Come There are No Sci-Fi Films for Kids Nowadays? (3/1/2013 2:30:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

They don't. A parent can take a child to the cinema to see a 12 film if the kid is under 12.

From the BBFC

quote:

What does the 12A symbol mean?

12A means that anyone aged 12 or over can go and see the film unaccompanied. The A stands for 'accompanied' and 'advisory'. Children younger than 12 may see the film if they are accompanied by an adult (eg someone over the age of 18), who must watch the film with them.

What's the difference between 12 and 12A?

The 12 certificate is just for videos, DVDs and Blu-rays. 12A is for films at the cinema only.

Yep! took my 6 year old to see The Hobbit last week!... which i believe is 12?

vader100 -> RE: How Come There are No Sci-Fi Films for Kids Nowadays? (3/1/2013 3:03:08 PM)

quote:

My eleven year old loves it.

War of the Worlds (Cruise version) has children in it, does that count? Although it was 6 years ago.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI