Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s

impqueen -> Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 (29/12/2012 10:44:41 PM)

I originally wanted to do 25 for both male and female performances however though I could easily name 30 something actors who got my attention this year (including a silent 2 minutes cameo by Lee Pace and friend [:D]) I could not get to 25 for the women, which is a great shame really. Though to be fair I have missed one or two female centric films this year. The following are 40 performances that I personally enjoyed and was thinking about long after the end credits had rolled. Obviously there will be spoilers throughout. The quality of my mini-blurbs will leave a lot to be desired, unfortunately I can’t claim that English isn’t my first language, I’m just not very good at putting my thoughts down as eloquently as many lovely folks on the forum are.

So ladies first…

Brit Marling - Maggie - Sound of My Voice (40th on Imp’s 2012 List)

[image]http://www.eatsleeplivefilm.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/sound-of-my-voice.jpg[/image]

The key for me to Brit Marling’s performance isn’t her ethereal, waif like quality or that the film is constructed as such (often frustratingly so) that the audience has no choice but to keep constantly guessing throughout as to the validity of Maggie’s claim, no for me it’s her quite startling ability to turn on a sixpence. I think most of us have some assumption as to what a Cult leader is probably like, I myself imagine a person who craves power and subjugation and will use fear, intimidation and humiliation combined with a benign friendliness to control and maintain a following. As the supposed traveller from 2054 Marling switches from laidback Sunday school teacher to terrifyingly imposing bully so easily that the films deteriorating final stretch can be forgiven.

Mark Ruffalo - Bruce Banner/Hulk - The Avengers (58th)

[image]http://static.tumblr.com/mz8wher/4Kjm2hx0s/tumblr_m2ftcspoes1qb7unno1_500.png[/image]

How do you solve a problem like Hulk? You use him sparingly and you get one of the finest and most understated actors of his generation to play the less than jolly green giant. As Bruce Banner, Mark Ruffalo is brilliant and is by far the best thing about the extremely successful (if muddled, forty minutes fixing a fan, generic alien threat *) film and though his screen time is limited by a crowded guest list of heroes he gives a standout performance. As the wary and weary Banner, Ruffalo gives us a mixture of sweet natured science nerd and a man terrified of his destructive capabilities. In amongst all the explosions and the crash bang wallops there’s little time for reflection and development and though the quieter moments are few Ruffalo offers a refreshing alternative to the bluster on display from preening playboys, patriotic super soldiers and boastful gods.

• Not that I didn’t enjoyed it. [:)]

matty_b -> RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 (29/12/2012 10:46:23 PM)

Oooh new list, and what a great topic.

Ruffalo was great. [:)]

Rebel scum -> RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 (29/12/2012 10:49:30 PM)

Ruffalo was indeed fantastic.

elab49 -> RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 (29/12/2012 10:57:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen
. In amongst all the explosions and the crash bang wallops there's little time for reflection and development and though the quieter moments are few Ruffalo offers a refreshing alternative to the bluster on display from preening playboys, patriotic super soldiers and boastful gods.

Indeed. I've not been able to watch Sound of my Voice yet - even the synpsis sounds unbearable [:D]

MonsterCat -> RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 (29/12/2012 11:11:08 PM)

Sound of My Voice is on the to see list. Mainly because it has Brit Marling in it and I love her. [sm=wub.gif]

MovieAddict247 -> RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 (29/12/2012 11:24:40 PM)

Looking forward to the list, Imp.

Not seen Sound of My Voice, but it sounds intriguing.

Ruffalo is the bomb. Not that I was suprised that he was good (because, as I previously mentioned, he's the bomb), but he made the Hulk such an interesting character, despite having relatively little screen time, especialy when compared to the others who had previous films to build up a character/stories etc.

impqueen -> RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 (29/12/2012 11:29:15 PM)

Cheers folks. [:)]

I thought Ruffalo would be a popular choice, probably the most well like performance on my list.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

. In amongst all the explosions and the crash bang wallops there's little time for reflection and development and though the quieter moments are few Ruffalo offers a refreshing alternative to the bluster on display from preening playboys, patriotic super soldiers and boastful gods.

Indeed. I've not been able to watch Sound of my Voice yet - even the synopsis sounds unbearable [:D]

[:D]

Yeah I don't think it will be for everyone, one review I read was hilariously dismissive of it, though contained (to me) an unwarranted attack against Marling as the most unlikeable person in Independent cinema, it was harsh.

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Sound of My Voice is on the to see list. Mainly because it has Brit Marling in it and I love her. [sm=wub.gif]

The only other thing I had seen Marling in was an episode of Community.

Whistler -> RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 (29/12/2012 11:31:20 PM)

Norton was great, Ruffalo was really great.

impqueen -> RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 (29/12/2012 11:34:56 PM)

Yuliya Aug - Tanya - Ovsyanki / Silent Souls (25th)

[image]http://obrazki.tnttorrent.info/tnt24.info_Milcz_ce_dusze_-_Ovsyanki_-_Silent_Souls_2010_TS_XviD_RUS_.4167__45552.jpeg[/image]

Yuliya Aug utters not a single word in Silent Souls, there’s a perfectly good reason for this which I won’t discuss because it doesn’t matter. As Tanya a young wife and paper mill worker she manages to convey an astronomical amount (in a few brief scenes) of emotion and character. As a viewer you can tell that though dutiful she is not as enamoured with her husband as he is with her and with a simple delightful look you know that she has for a split second known what it is like to be in love and to be loved by another.

Ohad Knoller - Yossi – Ha-Sippur Shel Yossi / Yossi (39th)

[image]http://www.filmmonthly.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Yossi.jpg[/image]

It has been ten years since the tragic death of his lover Jagger but Yossi is still in mourning, in a semi self-imposed exile from the world and in the closet. He goes about his work well enough but life is less than satisfying and the loneliness is having an effect on his person and is slowly creeping into his ability to function. A chance encounter with an openly gay conscript is the start of change. It could have been easy for the character of Yossi to be seen as a self-pitying loser, a guy that an audience would have had a hard time sympathising with let alone encouraging him to take a leap of faith, luckily we get a lovely low key turn from Knoller, warm and affecting.

MonsterCat -> RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 (29/12/2012 11:37:17 PM)

quote:

The only other thing I had seen Marling in was an episode of Community.

Check out Another Earth when you find the time. It's a good little flick.

rawlinson -> RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 (30/12/2012 4:47:47 AM)

Said it when I reviewed the film, but I really think Ruffalo's performance was influenced by Peter Falk. Had that same rumpled charm.

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 (30/12/2012 8:07:36 AM)

Looking forward to this list, Only seen Ruffalo so far, and a great choice. I thought Marling was very good in Another Earth, so I'll be on the lookout for Sound Of My Voice.

impqueen -> RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 (30/12/2012 9:49:41 AM)

Amanda Bauer - Claudia - The Myth of the American Sleepover (32nd)

[image]http://www.sff.ba/uploads/film_thumbnails/0340ab512a77ec7e027d63c09b140c4f.jpg[/image]

On the last night of summer before the start of school we follow a group of teenagers as they cross paths, interact and narrowly miss each other as they search for the popular party, an elusive crush, romance and a little adventure. When we look back at our adolescence it is usually caught between a nostalgic limbo and one of the more hellish periods of life, we remember the bad and eulogise the good at least that’s what I’ve caught myself doing. In Myth we look at the mostly good, the small moments that we rarely forget that can have the biggest impact on our futures selves. It’s a loving amble through one night and is a beautifully made and wonderfully acted (there are several brilliantly natural turns) piece, a freshman Robert Altman with overlapping stories and crisscrossing characters all linked in some way or another. It can be seen as a tad earnest in its depiction but I felt it was sufficiently awkward, movingly confused and yet confident about itself as a representation of a certain stage of youth. In amongst all this there are a number of standouts including Claire Sloma as Maggie, Marlon Morton as Rob and Brett Jacobson as Scott Holland. My favourite though is Amanda Bauer as the girl who kisses another’s boyfriend, hey the girl got with her crush! As Claudia, Bauer is superb, a self-assured new girl who has an unexpected spikiness and the intelligence to use it. Now it may be the faint Linda Manz vibes that personally struck a chord but Bauer gives an assured and striking performance.

John Hawkes - Patrick - Martha Marcy May Marlene (28th)

[image]http://thefilmstage.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/hawkes.jpg[/image]

I always liked John Hawkes, as a mostly satisfied if forever longing Deadwood fan I enjoyed and respected his performance as the affable Sol Star a performance equal to those around him and no less memorable but certainly not as juicy? Still Hawkes obviously had the goods and soon we saw him as Teardrop Dolly in the excellent Winterbone where, as actors have it he was very different but no less good. In Martha, Hawkes again plays opposite and offers sterling support to a phenomenal debutant leading actress the difference for me this time is that as commune leader Patrick he sticks around longer in the mind and in the gut. He is intense and though I wouldn’t say charismatic he certainly knows how to lure and manipulate new comers to the fold by focusing his attentions on them. It is a chilling, uncomfortable and downright disturbing portrait of a man who establishes power by changing the names of his devotees, psychologically (before physically) pervading their person.

matty_b -> RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 (30/12/2012 10:07:30 AM)

Hawkes is brilliant.

MonsterCat -> RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 (30/12/2012 10:09:49 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Hawkes is brilliant.

Seconded. He managed to make something as average as Identity watchable.

For me MMMM is the best flick of the year.

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 (30/12/2012 10:47:04 AM)

Hawkes was by far the best thing about that film.

Whistler -> RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 (30/12/2012 11:30:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Hawkes was by far the best thing about that film.

Yep. Olsen was fantastic and deserved all the praise she got for it, but Hawkes definitely stole the show.

rawlinson -> RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 (30/12/2012 12:45:00 PM)

Hawkes is brilliant, Sloma was my fave by a mile from American Sleepover (with the right kind of roles I could see her following the same path as Michelle Williams) but I thought the cast were all great.

impqueen -> RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 (30/12/2012 5:31:05 PM)

Shirley MacLaine - Marjorie "Marge" Nugent – Bernie (36th)

[image]http://d3ny4pswk2x1ig.cloudfront.net/86d73d7c5797deadb3aedea6ba9be55a3949f58b994c164a0d99620f.jpg[/image]

In the wonderfully weird and colourfully macabre Bernie, Shirley MacLaine plays the virtually reclusive and recently widowed Mrs Nugent. She is befriended by popular mortician Bernie Tiede and soon they are practically inseparable. The wealthy woman soon goes missing. Still no one really notices or really cares because Mrs Nugent is by far the meanest woman in town. MacLaine (as Marge Nugent) gives us a deliciously sour and fierce turn as the mean spirited old biddy, a scarily possessive individual, a splendidly loathsome creature.

Jack Black - Bernie Tiede - Bernie / Seann William Scott - Doug Glatt – Goon (36th/50th)

[image]http://thewiseguise.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/jack-black-bernie.jpg[/image]

[image]http://cdn.gunaxin.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/goon-header.jpg[/image]

My mother said something a few years ago along the lines of “…every actor has at least one half decent performance in them…” I didn’t completely agree but here we are at the end of 2012, the apocalypse was a bust and two of my favourite acts of the year belong to a pair of ‘comedic’ actors I have in the past (to put it lightly) had very little time for. Coincidently or not both Black and Williams play characters based on real people and their experiences. One a sweet natured dolt finding his place in the world as a hockey enforcer and the other a man so beloved by the community that when he admits to murdering an elderly lady they rally to his side in defence.

As Doug Glatt, Scott if not a revelation at the least is a surprisingly heart-warming screen presence, quiet, a little bashful and very much the heart of the film. In Bernie, Black reins in some of his more obvious comic foibles and adds a subtle layer of slickness that is used effectively and puts a little bit of doubt into the minds of those watching.

Qwerty Norris -> RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 (30/12/2012 5:34:03 PM)

Interesting list so far (Scott was actually very decent in what I found to be an incredibly mediocre film), I eagerly await to see where my favourites of 2012 turn up. [:)]

Whistler -> RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 (30/12/2012 5:58:33 PM)

I've always been a fan of SWS, he's just very watchable.

Deviation -> RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 (30/12/2012 6:47:31 PM)

Hawkes was incredible.

Also, shamefully, that's the only performance I've seen from this list. With any luck there will be someone from Once Upon a Time in Anatolia and post "Yes, he was truly amazing".

MovieAddict247 -> RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 (30/12/2012 11:05:52 PM)

Not seen any since Ruffalo, though I desperately want to see MMMM.

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 (31/12/2012 1:53:51 AM)

I liked Scott in Goon quite a lot. Like Whistler I've always found him very watchable and often the best thing in the film. Especially Cop Out.

ElephantBoy -> RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 (1/1/2013 12:09:56 AM)

The inclusion of Hawkes and Rufflo get a thumbs up from me also. Still need to see the other films so far, but will give the Goon a miss.[:D]

impqueen -> RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 (2/1/2013 3:59:08 PM)

Cheers for the comments folks. [:)]

Nadezhda Markina - Elena – Elena

[image]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6jtvvN6D91r6q7cto1_500.jpg[/image]

The marriage and ten year relationship between ex nurse Elena and the wealthy Vladimir is content enough, they have a routine and despite Vladimir’s naturally cold personality have a genuine affection for each other, except of course where their children are concerned. Vladimir has a daughter from an earlier marriage who lives for pleasure not work; Elena has a son who lives with his wife, teenage boy and baby in a bleak Moscow khrushchyovka. When Vladimir falls ill he makes it clear that his wealth will be left solely to his daughter, this does not bode well for Elena’s grandson who without money for University must enter the military.

As the titular Elena, Markina doesn’t give us a grandstanding, wildly overt performance that such a melodramatic tale often has. Instead she gives us a beautifully understated turn as a woman that no doubt has had a less than easy life, a woman devoted to her husband of later life and a woman who (as unfair as it may be in this day and age) understands her place in this socially “unequal” relationship. It is also clear that she is dedicated to her layabout son and adores her grandchildren and so is rightly frustrated by Vladimir’s unwillingness to help either. When Elena takes action against Vladimir there is a scene shortly after in which all her fear, her guilt and her love are bubbling together under the surface, this moment alone would have had Markina on the list as it is a brilliant piece of acting but coupled with the overall unfussy nature of the performance it is something that lasts a little longer in the memory.

Will Poulter - Dean - Wild Bill

[image]http://filmlondon.org.uk/library/images/feature_wild_bill.jpg[/image]

I have only seen Will Poulter in three films; Son of Rambow (superb), Voyage of the Dawn Treader (the perfect Eustace) and Wild Bill. From these three performances I hope that he will go on to have a good, long lasting career. As the abandoned older (he’s fifteen) brother of recently released prisoner Bill (Charlie Creed-Miles) Poulter shows incredible maturity as a child forced to grow up quickly and all that bitterness it entails whilst still managing to be as awkward as any boy when talking to the girl he fancies

Whistler -> RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 (2/1/2013 4:02:13 PM)

I haven't seen Wild Bill, but Poulter really impressed me in Son Of Rambow.

MovieAddict247 -> RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 (2/1/2013 4:03:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

I haven't seen Wild Bill, but Poulter really impressed me in Son Of Rambow.

Was just about to post the same.

rawlinson -> RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 (2/1/2013 4:07:18 PM)

Oh I hated Son of Rambow, I've been put off Wild Bill now. [:D]

MovieAddict247 -> RE: Imp's Favourite Performances 2012 (2/1/2013 4:08:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Oh I hated Son of Rambow, I've been put off Wild Bill now. [:D]

What?

But it had a poncy Frenchman in and everything!

Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI